• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

RedSwirl

I think The Witcher might be the first RPG I've played where I actually care a little bit about the main plotline. Ever. Ever ever EVER. In the 15+ years that I've been playing RPGs. Both Japanese and Western.

Oh there have been RPGs in the past where I actually enjoy most of the characters, but never the actual storyline surrounding them. Why is it that The Witcher is the first RPG I've ever played that has intrigue decent enough to stand on its own?

RedSwirl said:
I think The Witcher might be the first RPG I've played where I actually care a little bit about the main plotline. Ever. Ever ever EVER. In the 15+ years that I've been playing RPGs. Both Japanese and Western.

Oh there have been RPGs in the past where I actually enjoy most of the characters, but never the actual storyline surrounding them. Why is it that The Witcher is the first RPG I've ever played that has intrigue decent enough to stand on its own?

Personally I liked that my choices made a difference, even if it was further down the track, and the situations weren't black and white (ie. good or evil). I found myself actually thinking about the situations and what was the "best" response or the "right" thing to do was.

Van Buren

RedSwirl said:

It's probably because a lot of the side quests that you do are actually main quests. The game splits its main quest in each chapter into layered quests that are connected to one another. As a result, even when you complete what looks like a side quest, it rewards you with more plot exposition. In case you are referring to Bethesda's and Bioware's recent games, their main quests tend to be isolated from the side quests for the most part.

Max

I am not Max
Say a quest person stops talking with you after you say something offensive. "What do you know about the Salamandra?" "Piss off" "Piss off" "Piss off"

What the hell are you supposed to do?

Complistic

Max said:
Say a quest person stops talking with you after you say something offensive. "What do you know about the Salamandra?" "Piss off" "Piss off" "Piss off"

Piss off.

no really, I'm assuming you accused them of something, so now they're not going to talk to you for a while. Follow up on your other leads.

Max said:

I'm assuming it might be the blacksmith in the first town? This happened to me, I think if you sleep at the inn or go do some quests and come back he'll talk to you again.

I thought it was a nice touch to the game that NPC's actually get pissed off at you :lol

Cels

Max said:

1. Load earlier save; or
2. Take a different route. The Act II investigation can take many different routes. (assuming that's what you're talking about)

Luthos

I remember when some people got pissed at me and stopped talking, I could just exit the area, re-enter, and they'd talk to me again. For some people at least.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, I have Witcher EE on Steam and I want to play some of the New Adventures/Side Stories but none of them show up when I select New Game. Do I have to download them separately, and if so, which ones should I play?

Van Buren

SuperSonic1305 said:
How do you block and use new moves like jugular cut?

Are you referring to the 'Cut at the Jugular' talent in the Strong Steel skilltree ? If so, most abilities you gain are passive - they have a chance of triggering each time you attack, and the chance increases as you take levels 2,3,etc. of the skill.

Regarding blocking, there is no active blocking, but Geralt parries attacks automatically - the dexterity tree contains skills that increase parry chance. There is manual dodging - you can dodge by double-tapping in a direction during combat. You can also increase passive dodge by taking skills in the dexterity tree.

SuperSonic1305 said:
No blocking. Increasing your dodge, parry, and other defensive stats will increase the chance of their hits missing you or doing less damage, but there's no block. Jugular cut, and similar abilities aren't new moves, they just add new effects to your regular moves. So the combos in that stance now have the possibility of adding a bleed.

Cels

SuperSonic1305 said:

Those abilities are passive.

Also, for anyone who didn't know, those passives do not stack, instead they only apply to that particular swing in a combo.

For example: Strong Steel level one has Crushing Blow I for +20% damage. Strong Steel level two has Crushing Blow II for +25% damage. If you take both talents, this means that your first swing in a Strong Steel combo will do +20% damage and your second swing in a Strong Steel combo will do +25% damage.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmm, this is odd. I'm playing the Price of Neutrality adventure. The only problem is that the sound is messed up. The voice acting is there, but I can barely hear it. Also, some sound effects are missing too. I've tried redownloading to make sure it's the EE edition.

anyone else experience this?

OK, chatting outside of cutscenes has voices, but the cutscenes are way quiet. Oh well.

Cels said:
Those abilities are passive.

Also, for anyone who didn't know, those passives do not stack, instead they only apply to that particular swing in a combo.

For example: Strong Steel level one has Crushing Blow I for +20% damage. Strong Steel level two has Crushing Blow II for +25% damage. If you take both talents, this means that your first swing in a Strong Steel combo will do +20% damage and your second swing in a Strong Steel combo will do +25% damage.

Oh I never knew that, I thought it just applied to that style with that weapon.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Edgeward

I hope the GOG version will run better, would like to get back into this and play it where it won't run like crap on multi core machines/win 7. I will double dip for that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Edgeward said:
I hope the GOG version will run better, would like to get back into this and play it where it won't run like crap on multi core machines/win 7. I will double dip for that.

It'll probably be the same, they're just finally selling their game from their own site. I would rebuy a Enhanced Enhanced Edition that takes advantage of modern hardware and runs it like it should, but it's alright. There were a few parts that ran a bit rough, mainly chapter 3, but I spent most of the game with a decent enough frame rate. I've seen worse.

still buggered with these sounds issues :/

Hawk269

Edgeward said:

Please excuse the noobish question, but what is this GOG version you all are talking about. I just picked up a few days ago the enhanced edition and it runs great on my rig, outside of some issue with lanterns/torches where the light of them appear through walls.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hawk269 said:
Please excuse the noobish question, but what is this GOG version you all are talking about. I just picked up a few days ago the enhanced edition and it runs great on my rig, outside of some issue with lanterns/torches where the light of them appear through walls.

It's not really new a version, GOG.com aka CD-Projekt's website (TW dev) will be listing it soon. It will most likely be the same as what you'd find on Steam, D2D, Amazon or anywhere else, it won't be an improved or better optimized version of the game.

Max

I am not Max
Wow the game really picks up during Chapter 2. The first chapter was deathly boring for me, and the combat can seem lacking.

But once I got to Chapter 2 I got the bronze level 2 on all my sword abilities plus upgraded my Ard skill. The game can't be more amazing. I'm loving it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yep, you're right in line.

I thought ch. 1 was just 'okay' and the prologue was kinda lame but it was ch. 2 that really sucked me in. So good.

I'll try this once more: anyone else try the new adventures? I'm over the sound problems with The Price of Neutrality, are there any more CD-P created quests? I've finished the game but I wanna play more :(.

Luthos

Max said:
Wow the game really picks up during Chapter 2. The first chapter was deathly boring for me, and the combat can seem lacking.

But once I got to Chapter 2 I got the bronze level 2 on all my sword abilities plus upgraded my Ard skill. The game can't be more amazing. I'm loving it.
It gets even better in Chapter 3 and beyond, imo.

But maybe I say that because I felt Chapter 2 was a bit too long.

Zel3

Just completed the game today. It's a shame chapter 1 was so boring because once you get to chapter 2 the game really picks up and only gets better and better. Don't get me started on how good the story is and how likable certain characters are (Zoltan, Dandilion, Geralt).

Major Spoiler possibly:
It's pretty much agreed on that the Grandmaster is Alvin right? There are so many hints it has to be him.

I'm looking forward to the Witcher 2 so much now. If it delivers a story as good as the Witcher 1 with improved production values and more customizing options... :O

tw1.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zel3 said:
It's pretty much agreed on that the Grandmaster is Alvin right? There are so many hints it has to be him.

yes, it's him.

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6628/witcher2011042014335947.jpg

rogue74

Just finished this last night and am very pleased. One of the stronger game endings I have experienced in recent memory.

End Game Spoilers
The reveal that the Grand Master = Alvin elevated this game to a whole other level. For one, this wasn't some evil megalomaniac intent on total destruction like in every other RPG. In his mind, he really thought he was doing the right thing. His exclamation at the end, "That sword is for monsters." was great. He just doesn't understand why you see him as evil when he is just trying to save humanity.

The fact that he is Alvin gave the whole game a very melancholy/bittersweet tone. It also made me revisit all the conversations I had with him during the game. I wish I would have considered those answers a little more carefully.

Some things that left me a bit confused at the end:
* What was the purpose behind reactivating the Striga curse on Adda? How did that tie in to the overall scheme?
* Why have Adda fake the Royal Edicts to install the curfew/martial law?
* If Jaques de Aldersberg wanted a puppet regime through Adda, why didn't he somehow dispose of Foltest? He even had a chance in early Chapter V and still didn't take it.
* In the final cutscene, we see a Witcher try to assassinate Foltest. I thought the Salamandra/Order never quite figured out the mutation thing, which is why you were fighting those mutant monsters as opposed to full blown witchers at the end. So what gives? Well I guess this last question is for the sequel to answer...

Can't wait for TW2!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I do believe the reactivation of the Striga curse was to show/remind the people of Foltest's fuck up when he slept with his sister. This is in line with their intention of weaking Foltest so that Adda can take power later on and be manipulated to fit the Salamandra's needs

In regards to your last question, it's definitely something for the sequel.

rogue74 said:
Just finished this last night and am very pleased. One of the stronger game endings I have experienced in recent memory.

End Game Spoilers
The reveal that the Grand Master = Alvin elevated this game to a whole other level. For one, this wasn't some evil megalomaniac intent on total destruction like in every other RPG. In his mind, he really thought he was doing the right thing. His exclamation at the end, "That sword is for monsters." was great. He just doesn't understand why you see him as evil when he is just trying to save humanity.

The fact that he is Alvin gave the whole game a very melancholy/bittersweet tone. It also made me revisit all the conversations I had with him during the game. I wish I would have considered those answers a little more carefully.

* What was the purpose behind reactivating the Striga curse on Adda? How did that tie in to the overall scheme?
* If Jaques de Aldersberg wanted a puppet regime through Adda, why didn't he somehow dispose of Foltest? He even had a chance in early Chapter V and still didn't take it.
* In the final cutscene, we see a Witcher try to assassinate Foltest. I thought the Salamandra/Order never quite figured out the mutation thing, which is why you were fighting those mutant monsters as opposed to full blown witchers at the end. So what gives? Well I guess this last question is for the sequel to answer...

Can't wait for TW2!

Pretty much sums up my impressions as well. The game was good but the ending just took it over the top. What I loved most was that it was relatively subtle in execution.
No one ever explicitly stated that Jacques was Alvin..just the image at the end, small clues placed prior and with a bit of ambiguity sprinkled in (Geralt kinda even dismisses it by saying that the amulet is a bit more worn).

Max

I am not Max
Wat. I'd just walked into Vivendi's house expecting to give him the parcel some Elf guy at the Druid place told me to give him and i'm slapped the face with one of those tweened portrait cutscenes about him being prosecuted, and then Geralt talking a bunch of nonsense I have no idea about... Hawkers or something?

I reloaded my save and plan to go back there later on. Is there parts where you're able to just skip pass information or something? Really uncool.

Van Buren

Max said:
Wat. I'd just walked into Vivendi's house expecting to give him the parcel some Elf guy at the Druid place told me to give him and i'm slapped the face with one of those tweened portrait cutscenes about him being prosecuted, and then Geralt talking a bunch of nonsense I have no idea about... Hawkers or something?

I reloaded my save and plan to go back there later on. Is there parts where you're able to just skip pass information or something? Really uncool.

Geralt is referring to Haren Brogg trading weapons with Elven guerrillas in Chapter 1, and how that has affected the rebellion of the non-humans.

As for Vivaldi, check the prison.

elseanio

Are the two additional adventures (The Price of Neutrality and Side Effects) worth doing? Are there any new locations/characters?

After investing so much into the main game, I completely forgot about them!

elseanio said:
Are the two additional adventures (The Price of Neutrality and Side Effects) worth doing? Are there any new locations/characters?

After investing so much into the main game, I completely forgot about them!

Yeah, I prepared my pre-sequel playthrough of The Witcher 1 to end it just before the release of The Witcher 2, but I´ve played too much (lol) and I'm currently at the end of the game, and I'm thinking about finishing it and play this 2 weeks the extra adventures. I'm joining elseanio's question, any gaffer has played it?

Just finished, great game. Loved the entire ending sequence.

I think another hint that it was Alvin was that he says something along the lines of using his visions for the good of people, which is exactly what I told Alvin he needed to do with his visions.

Arghhh

Long story short... Uninstalling League of Legends I found out that the bloody game took about 80gig worth of games in my Program Files folder, that was in October. Earlier today I found that my witcher saves are still intact being in separate folder. So I reinstalled it and right now I'm in chapter II I believe and collecting these sephirot thingies. Have 6 of them and need another 4.

Thing is I have nooooo idea what is going on. I remember vaguely a few things but not much :( Where to find those other 4 damnit?
Also anyone can bring me up to speed?
I remember first act and that there was a chick there but in act II there is another chick. Also there is this detective that helps me find the guy that stole Witchers secrets. Thats all I remember

Tacitus_

You need to find 7 I think and then you'll get the last one from the detective. Just do sidequests and talk to named NPCs and you'll pick them up eventually.

Turns out I had all the Sephirot, just had to scroll my inventory left and right :)
Anyway I'm in chapter III now. How much left is there?

Hate making shady choices but
Alvin is with Shani, didn't like that sorceress in the mirror Triss was talking to
it is so hard when you don' know what happened before

Is it normal for the game to crash so often? I have had it crash maybe four times today alone. Mostly whenever it has to load, so either between areas or after meditating.

I'm at Chapter 3 and enjoying it, even though the combat is not my favourite. At least I'm at a level where it's manageable.

SonofdonCD said:
Is it normal for the game to crash so often? I have had it crash maybe four times today alone. Mostly whenever it has to load, so either between areas or after meditating.

I'm at Chapter 3 and enjoying it, even though the combat is not my favourite. At least I'm at a level where it's manageable.

I actually only had one game crash the entire game and that was in Chapter V.

Forkball

rogue74 said:

End Game Spoilers

Can't wait for TW2!

1. Basically to create chaos and weaken Foltest so the Grand Master could easily stage a coup.
2. Foltest was MIA for much of the game, so maybe he was hoping Adda could take power before he could return and thus continue with his plan. Although it was never really their intention to have Adda in power, they just wanted to cause disorder to ease the Order's coup. Also since he wanted the support of the people, outright killing the king would probably put him in a negative light.
3. Unknown, although it seems that these witcher-like assassins will appear in the second game, so it's basically just a tease for that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SuperSonic1305 said:
Is there any point in using the Axe or dagger?

Not that I know of. They were always underpowered except for maybe at the very start of the game. All you need is the steel/silver swords so I just used one slot for a torch and ignored the other.

rogue74

Snuggler said:
Not that I know of. They were always underpowered except for maybe at the very start of the game. All you need is the steel/silver swords so I just used one slot for a torch and ignored the other.

I never used them either. I know the Axes have a chance of breaking shields, but Aard helped me handle those opponents more efficiently.

I did always keep an assassin's dagger equipped because Geralt would sometimes perform a finishing move on a stunned opponent where he would drive his sword down into the ground and finish off the enemy with the dagger. I thought the animation was cool so I kept the weapon equipped to see it every now and then.

droopy

SonofdonCD said:

More normal than it should be I guess. The game crashes for me too; every 2 or 3 hours but pretty much randomly.

Psi

SonofdonCD said:

I only had maybe one or two crashes per chapter in the first four chapters, and each time it was a few seconds after an area transition.

Top Bottom