• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Hawk269

I decided to get this game being that I was out of the PC gaming scene for over 15-20 years or so and damn it is really good. Even though it is a little old, it looks really good and looks better than most current console gen games. But when looking at Witcher 2 screens/video's we are in for such a treat.

But back to the Witcher itself, I am really enjoying the game. I am still starting out and enjoying what I have played so far. For those that have played the game alot, what is the general "preferred" control scheme? Coming from consoles for the last 20 years or so, getting use to KB/M is taking a bit. I am pumped that W2 has control pad support!

Minsc

Gold Member
Hawk269 said:
I decided to get this game being that I was out of the PC gaming scene for over 15-20 years or so and damn it is really good. Even though it is a little old, it looks really good and looks better than most current console gen games. But when looking at Witcher 2 screens/video's we are in for such a treat.

But back to the Witcher itself, I am really enjoying the game. I am still starting out and enjoying what I have played so far. For those that have played the game alot, what is the general "preferred" control scheme? Coming from consoles for the last 20 years or so, getting use to KB/M is taking a bit. I am pumped that W2 has control pad support!

WASD + Mouse + OTS camera. TW2 will be OTS only, so best off getting used to it anyway.

Feeling horrible as I still can't bring myself to go back and finish Witcher. I'm on Ch.2 right now and just ....fuck, I dunno, got bored again =(

rogue74

AgentOtaku said:
Feeling horrible as I still can't bring myself to go back and finish Witcher. I'm on Ch.2 right now and just ....fuck, I dunno, got bored again =(

Maybe the game isn't for you then. I am now about 3/4 of the way through Act 4 and it has had its hooks in me the whole way through. It is true that there was alot of backtracking and 'fetch' type quests in Act 2, but I always wanted to know what the story had in store for me next. I found Act 3 to be much better than 2. Lots of great character interaction and political intrigue.

Slo

AgentOtaku said:

Games are supposed to be fun, buddy. If you're not having fun, then don't feel guilty for not playing!

eznark

Banned
Is there a way to lock the frame rate. On my new rig I have everything turned up an am still getting like 250 frames per second. Too fast!

rogue74

eznark said:
Is there a way to lock the frame rate. On my new rig I have everything turned up an am still getting like 250 frames per second. Too fast!

The hell kind of a rig do you have? This game is notorious for being poorly optimized.

Van Buren

eznark said:

Heading to Chapter 3 will probably take care of that for you, but I doubt that's the solution you wanted.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
rogue74 said:
The hell kind of a rig do you have? This game is notorious for being poorly optimized.

That's just it, it can shoot way high in some parts of chapter 1. I was getting damn near 200 at times, but as low as 25 in chapter 3. It's all over the place.

Complistic

eznark said:

Force V-sync in your control panel for the game. I think that will stop it. you're probably getting crazy screen tearing too.

Kritz

Banned
Okay, so guilty PC master race confession:

Every time I try to play The Witcher I get bored of it and stop. The most recent example was when I installed it, got through the prologue, exited out, and then played Dragon Age 2 for 30 hours. The Witcher is the only game I've ever actively tried to force myself to like. I've installed it 3-5 times and have never played more than a few hours into it each time.

My problem is that I find the combat boring. How did I manage to play through Dragon Age 2? No idea. Probably because I could press a single button to win. Here I have to... well, press a different single button, and press it in rhythm. Maybe that extra layer of complexity has alienated me. I don't know.

I'm not (entirely) making this post just to get it out of my system that I may never like this game. What I want to know is...

Are there any mods that make the combat faster?

It's not even that I dislike slow combat (I played through Dragon Age 1 as a recent example), or that I dislike harder, confusing combat with heaps of different complexities (I enjoy playing D&D and am playing through NWN2 with four other people from AusGAF).

Are there mods out there that will make a moron twitch-based gamer like me have fun with the combat part of The Witcher? I'm currently playing the game on easy just so I spend less time on the combat and more time in the world.

I'm fully aware I'm a bad person.

Van Buren

Kritz said:
Are there any mods that make the combat faster?

There is a combat overhaul mod on the Witcher forums which makes every encounter a lot more challenging. You are typically forced to make full use of Geralt's bag of tricks to survive.

Even unmodded, the game can be challenging on Hard, if you don't abuse kiting + Igni. Easy and Normal don't require the use of potions/oils/bombs outside of boss fights, and tend to be boring, but Hard makes even normal 'fodder' enemies a challenge if one does not abuse kiting + igni. You will have to constantly keep a stock of vital potions and oils, and apply them beforehand if you sense trouble ahead. This mechanic can be ignored in the easier difficulties, and is probably why the combat might not click.

I'm doing a rerun in preparation for the sequel, and I've got to say that the combat feels a lot more organic once you unlock the 3rd and 4th attacks in the combo chains for your swords. Remembering when to click becomes second-nature by that point, and the animations for his 4th and 5th attacks are quite visceral. The prologue and Chapter 1 are basically tutorials to the mechanics, and the game does not open up until the start of Chapter 2. The timed clicks do not go away, but it's easy to appreciate how the time between clicks allows one to plan the next move - be it continuing with the combo chain, dodging away, casting signs or throwing bombs.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I feel you Krits, I'm on the same boat.

There is a combat overhaul mod on the Witcher forums which makes every encounter a lot more challenging. You are typically forced to make full use of Geralt's bag of tricks to survive.

I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't want to click/time his swings. Is there a mod that auto-clicks for you ?

Van Buren

Yurt said:
I feel you Krits, I'm on the same boat.

I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't want to click/time his swings. Is there a mod that auto-clicks for you ?

Not to my knowledge, but there is a way to avoid the click-rhythm combat if you put nearly all your points into spells. Spells are instant-cast, and Igni decimates nearly everything in the game if you try playing the game as a mage than as a warrior. To be honest, it might make for a very interesting playthrough - you will have to spend most of your time slowing down/fearing/stunning enemies to death while burning them away with Igni.

Kritz

Banned
eznark said:
If you don't like the game, try Risen. Sort of a boiled down version of a similar game. Almost as awesome, too.

I enjoyed Two Worlds 2 for the first 2.5 acts (up until you get to the eastern styled areas), so I might eventually pick up Risen.

It's weird that I like NWN2, which has a very turn based combat feel (even though it isn't turn based), but don't like The Witcher's mechanics. Maybe it's because I haven't learned proper magic yet. Or haven't found any real ranged options. Or haven't yet entered the point where the game feels like a power fantasy.

I should point out I don't find the timing click combat inherently bad. It's actually kind of interesting. It's just not engaging.

I think what really annoyed me was that, uh, how do I put this.

You get three stances. Fast, powerful and group. When you're fighting a fast enemy, you need to be in the fast stance or they're too fast for you. Yet, when you're in the fast stance, and you fight a powerful enemy, the same doesn't apply. You're now too weak for the enemy.

There's no rock paper scissors going on. The enemy's stance is always better than yours until you match them. I understand they have to balance the game, but it's kind of disconnecting how you're always doing things wrong unless you're mimicking them.

Maybe I'm thinking about it in the wrong way. Maybe you're not being fast against fast opponents, but using attacks that counter fast opponents. I guess that's one way to comprehend what's going on.

Complistic

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Strong always does the most damage. however some units can dodge strong too easily, so for those you must use the weaker fast style. Group is for when you're absolutely surrounded and you just need to start slicing through enemies because you're going to start losing hit points no matter what. And the clicking fighting system was OK. I didn't really care for it, probably why they decided to change it in the sequel.

Zel3

So I come out of the Brothel after enjoying a nice game of dice and winning myself 200 orens. I meet this nice gentlemen called the headhunter, turns out there's almost no way to defeat him. How lame. :\

Forkball

Zel3 said:
So I come out of the Brothel after enjoying a nice game of dice and winning myself 200 orens. I meet this nice gentlemen called the headhunter, turns out there's almost no way to defeat him. How lame. :\
That'll teach you to kill random people. THEY WERE JUST STANDING THERE.

Riposte

I am dying for a choice masterlist for things that will matter in Witcher 2. I know it is going to be more than the main choice.

EDIT: Also maybe some save files, like I used for ME2.

Van Buren

Zel3 said:

Just curious - how many people did you kill indiscriminately ?

Riposte said:
I am dying for a choice masterlist for things that will matter in Witcher 2. I know it is going to be more than the main choice.

A savegame creator is supposedly being included in Witcher 2 - that ought to tell us which choices matter.

Zel3

Van Buren said:
Just curious - how many people did you kill indiscriminately ?

A savegame creator is supposedly being included in Witcher 2 - that ought to tell us which choices matter.

I killed 3 guards. I was attacking the bandits who were messing with the prostitutes and I apparently hit a guard and all 3 of them kept attacking me. I tried putting down my weapon but that didn't solve anything. :(

Once I leave the brothel there is the headhunter just waiting for me. I have no problem fighting a difficult enemy as punishment for killing someone but when that enemy is invincible it's kind of messed up. I'll just revert to an older save file, but the whole experience has cheapened the game for me.

Van Buren

Zel3 said:
I killed 3 guards. I was attacking the bandits who were messing with the prostitutes and I apparently hit a guard and all 3 of them kept attacking me. I tried putting down my weapon but that didn't solve anything. :(

Once I leave the brothel there is the headhunter just waiting for me. I have no problem fighting a difficult enemy as punishment for killing someone but when that enemy is invincible it's kind of messed up. I'll just revert to an older save file, but the whole experience has cheapened the game for me.

You can pay him a hefty bribe to leave you alone. The reason why the game punishes random killing is because Geralt repeatedly says he does not kill humans unless they're monsters themselves. The game had to enforce some way to prevent a contradiction between what Geralt says, and what the player does.

Van Buren said:
You can pay him a hefty bribe to leave you alone. The reason why the game punishes random killing is because Geralt repeatedly says he does not kill humans unless they're monsters themselves. The game had to enforce some way to prevent a contradiction between what Geralt says, and what the player does.
That's actually not at all the case.

You can kill all the innocent bystanders you want, the Headhunter only comes after you if you start killing City Guards, something to do with Polish laws regarding violence against peace officers.

Feeling like insight has set in and I have a better grasp of how to manage my time and multitude of superfluous fetch quests. So i've restarted one last time.

Wish me luck!

Complistic

AgentOtaku said:
Feeling like insight has set in and I have a better grasp of how to manage my time and multitude of superfluous fetch quests. So i've restarted one last time.

Wish me luck!

Yeah all these seemingly random quests are actually giving you information on your investigation. If you don't follow them all through properly or just flat out don't do some of them you'll continue your investigation with misinformation. I won't say any more than that.

Almost finished with Chapter 4, such a great fucking section

2011-04-24_00005a8n2.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yep, I probably took like 100 shots with FRAPs in chapter 4, there are so many pretty sights.

Lakeside is amazing but the Fields during sunset was probably the best I saw.

qH0gE.jpg

Zozobra

Granted, I'm still in chapter one, but am I going to miss out on anything if I skip the sidequests in this game? I'm really only interested in the main storyline and the constant running around is already becoming tedious.

Kyaw

Zozobra said:
Granted, I'm still in chapter one, but am I going to miss out on anything if I skip the sidequests in this game? I'm really only interested in the main storyline and the constant running around is already becoming tedious.

Side quests compliment the story but some are a little generic like fetch quests but somehow they help you with the story and build upon it. You should do them whenever you can.
One thing to note, DO NOT skip any side quests in Chapter 2. They are essential.

Luthos

Anyone know why I can't find Jethro? I'm in Chapter 3. And I finished the Archespore Contract, but I can't turn it in to him, because for some reason now everytime I go to the jail cells, he's not there at all.

Van Buren

Luthos said:
Anyone know why I can't find Jethro? I'm in Chapter 3. And I finished the Archespore Contract, but I can't turn it in to him, because for some reason now everytime I go to the jail cells, he's not there at all.

Is the Salamandra base mission in the sewers in progress ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:

Steam shots have extra compression, so they can't compare to my 1080p direct quality shots, plus my FRAPS shots can be easy loaded into my image editor if I need to cut them down and they're all instantly on my HDD instead of having to upload them.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Steam shots have extra compression, so they can't compare to my 1080p direct quality shots, plus my FRAPS shots can be easy loaded into my image editor if I need to cut them down.

you are nothing but a filthy traitor

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
maybe you're right, but you should spend less time on me and more time playing The Witcher

you gotta finish it before May 17 brah

Salsa

Snuggler said:
maybe you're right, but you should spend less time on me and more time playing The Witcher

you gotta finish it before May 17 brah

No way. Im not running 2 on my current shitty rig, i wanna bath in its glory. Shit's gotta wait :(

Max

I am not Max
Do cutscenes and chat scenes have weird scanlines(?) for anyone else? Hard to explain what I'm seeing.

Also, first 5 hours is snore. I'm pushing through though! I had lost my save file after a reformat :(

Salsa

Max said:
Do cutscenes and chat scenes have weird scanlines(?) for anyone else? Hard to explain what I'm seeing.

Yup, it's called screen tearing. Happens to me to only when im talking with someone.

Van Buren

Max said:

Also, first 5 hours is snore. I'm pushing through though! I had lost my save file after a reformat :(

I remember a couple of people having the issue earlier in the thread, along with a solution that seemed to help.

Btw, the prologue and chapter 1 are extended tutorials - chapter 2 is when the game opens up with factions and unpredictable choices and consequences coming into play.

Max

I am not Max
SalsaShark said:
Yup, it's called screen tearing. Happens to me to only when im talking with someone.
hurm, adding it to d3doverrider forcing vsync and triple buffering makes the mouse feel weird. i don't like the fluctuating fps either. and it doesn't get rid of the weird chatscene tearing, weird problem.

MickeyKnox said:
Almost finished with Chapter 4, such a great fucking section

I'm at the beginning of it, replaying the game in Hard (not at all, even in this difficulty using properly the signs and alchemy you're a killing machine), and it's really beautiful.

9s6hxl.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mr. Spinnington said:
GET OUT OF MY HEAD

realistically how long can i expect my first run to last without any guides and just playing by ear

2 weeks of intensive gaming

Cheech

Kyaw said:
Side quests compliment the story but some are a little generic like fetch quests but somehow they help you with the story and build upon it. You should do them whenever you can.
One thing to note, DO NOT skip any side quests in Chapter 2. They are essential.

Yeah, I am actually playing through the game for the first time, and I am pretty sure I fucked up. I killed somebody I probably wasn't supposed to in Chapter 2. RIP (spoiler)
Ramsmeat

The problem is, I am kind of getting impatient with the game. I am sick of the swamps and city, and am more than ready for the next chapter.

Top Bottom