• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

droopy said:
More normal than it should be I guess. The game crashes for me too; every 2 or 3 hours but pretty much randomly.
Yeah, so after my post, the game crashed like another four or five times, and this time it was doing it mostly during battles! Whenever there was a big finisher or the end to a combo, the game would freeze!

It seems to be getting steadily more unstable, cause when I first started the game I did not have this problem.

Sykotik

I've heard that the more saves you have, the more it can induce crashes. I went to just under 500 saves on my play-through, and I'd delete them about every 100 or so. I had maybe 5 or so crashes total.

Sykotik said:
I've heard that the more saves you have, the more it can induce crashes. I went to just under 500 saves on my play-through, and I'd delete them about every 100 or so. I had maybe 5 or so crashes total.

Yeah I noticed the game to become slower and more unstable the more saves I had.

Varna

I'll be playing through this again once I get my 1080p monitor. Can't deal with the graphic glitches in non 16:9 resolutions anymore!

Minsc

Gold Member
Varna said:
I'll be playing through this again once I get my 1080p monitor. Can't deal with the graphic glitches in non 16:9 resolutions anymore!

Just set it to a 16:9 resolution? Solved! Your video card should be able to maintain the proper aspect ratio if your monitor can't.

If you have an decent nvidia card, download nv inspector. Set the witcher AA profile to oblivion/FO3 and use the 4xS or 8xS setting. your downscaling from a compatible resolution so you can play on a 1680x1050 monitor without the pixellated faces.

That being said i decided to try the game out again and i forgot how shit the opening sections of the game were. not sure if i can be bothered continuing...what kind of things are transferred over in the saves to Witcher 2?

Minsc

Gold Member
fizzelopeguss said:
That being said i decided to try the game out again and i forgot how shit the opening sections of the game were. not sure if i can be bothered continuing...what kind of things are transferred over in the saves to Witcher 2?

Just a few items that they've been tight-lipped about. Probably the Raven armor, not sure. If you're not replaying it for the story though, wouldn't it be a lot simpler just to download a save, I'm sure there'll be a proper "unofficial" saves pack for TW2 importing that are all clearly named to what choices were made and allow you to experience all the various intros / slants on the game (with the extra equipment).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
elseanio said:
Are the two additional adventures (The Price of Neutrality and Side Effects) worth doing? Are there any new locations/characters?

After investing so much into the main game, I completely forgot about them!

Price of Neutrality was pretty interesting - took a few hours to beat, has a few different endings (
4 endings based on 2 choices you make near the end of the scenario
) - and also takes place in a new area right outside Kaer Moehrn, with new characters to interact with. Definitely worth playing if you liked the main game, the adventures are pretty standalone - you start at a fixed level and you can customize your skills right at the beginning.

Side Effects I'm gonna have to give a big ol' "meh" to - you are tasked with bailing Dandelion out of jail, and to raise the money to do this, you do a bunch of collectathon sidequests for people in the Merchant's Quarter, which you're probably sick of seeing from Chapter 2.

RedSwirl

Okay so I'm still in Chapter II and two of these quests involve finding and killing some Alghouls and Echinopses.

Problem is, the books to give you the bestiary entries on these are hundreds of orens each - several times more than the actual reward money for the quests!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RedSwirl said:
Problem is, the books to give you the bestiary entries on these are hundreds of orens each - several times more than the actual reward money for the quests!

You can't put a price on knowledge.

But really, it's helpful that having oren's isn't all that important. It was always worth the price just to clear another quest from my log.

RedSwirl said:
Okay so I'm still in Chapter II and two of these quests involve finding and killing some Alghouls and Echinopses.

You're also getting a decent chunk of XP.

Ceebs

RedSwirl said:

Go play some dice poker and quick save before each game. Max bet every chance you get.

Van Buren

Melhisedek said:
Do you get any better weapons and armor? Or do I have to build them myself somehow? I feel this game lacks loot :p

Weapon upgrades come from quests, trophy kills or having a blacksmith craft swords provided you have the needed mats.

Armor upgrades, of which there are very few, come from blacksmith vendors or from a quest late in Act 4/5.

I've been playing the game for a few days, I'm still in the first chapter (I'm probably close to finishing it) but I like it so far. Combat was really akward at the beginning, but now I'm used to it it's okay. Slicing monsters in group style is pretty cool :D
Question about the sign upgrades: So far I don't really know what I'm exaclty doing when I'm assigning the talent points. I filled the first upgrade tree for both Aard and Igni. But I noticed that I need to charge both of them. I'm not sure, but I think when you first got Aard you didnt need to charge it. Did I activate the charging by upgrading the sign with talent points or am I just misremembering.
Also I got a lot of barghest skulls, should I keep them or just dump them. I already gave the witch skulls.

Does this game have some weird LoD issues? When I'm walking through the fields, I can see trees dissappearing when I get closer and another tree appears right next to it. That just doesnt make any sense.

Minsc

Gold Member
OmegaDragon said:
Does this game have some weird LoD issues? When I'm walking through the fields, I can see trees dissappearing when I get closer and another tree appears right next to it. That just doesnt make any sense.

Something's funny, one of the things that impressed me the most about TW1's engine was how you could make out the smallest details in the distance. Like 1/2 mile away from a castle wall, you could still see the alternating tiny bricks along the top that are only a pixel or two big, impressed me a few times.

From searching the web, it sounds like you probably have an ATI card and need to toggle your Catalyst AI / AA settings. If you have Catalyst AI turned off, put it back to standard, and if you're forcing any sort of adaptive AA, just try turning it all off. If that's not it, no idea! :(

Just entered Chapter IV. The story really, really picks up.
How did I miss
that Adda was forging documents and whole that part of the plot
in any case off to meet the
fishmen

I just played through for the second time, on normal. I only managed to fuck up
not talking to Antoinette in the royal chambers
(I just forgot) and somehow I never got the quest
to save Abigail
even though it showed the cutscene telling me I did.

The problem was all the fights were too easy at the end of the game. I definitely was playing on normal and the fights were hard enough in Chapter III, but as soon as I started getting gold talents, everything was too easy. Maybe it's because I always had rune stones and Swallow, Tawny Owl and Petri on, but every single normal fight was either: Aard -> stun -> autokill, or spam Igni. And the bosses: Aard -> knockback -> charge Quen for -25% vitality and protection while I drink Blizzard -> Igni -> sword to death. I barely even got hit at all.

Oh also the three Sun Rune sword - 75% chance of blinding and incineration? Never happened. That was totally useless.

Max

I am not Max
The Grandma who lives with Shani is the most stupid broken thing in a game I have ever come across.

"Keep an old woman company"
*gives drink*
"you're drunk, get out!"

Among others, terrible.

Ceebs

Max said:
The Grandma who lives with Shani is the most stupid broken thing in a game I have ever come across.

*gives drink*
"you're drunk, get out!"

Among others, terrible.
I always just paid her off. She will never bother you again after that.

Max

I am not Max
Giving her the default 10 orens made her kick me out :(

Ch. 2 Question:
How did Geralt find that Raymond was an illusion of the Salamandra guy? I just got that story about Shani overhearing Thaler's innocence. No idea where Geralt found out about Raymond all of a sudden :|

Psi

Max said:

Ch. 2 Question:
How did Geralt find that Raymond was an illusion of the Salamandra guy? I just got that story about Shani overhearing Thaler's innocence. No idea where Geralt found out about Raymond all of a sudden :|

You can find the body of the real Raymond in the crypt during a quest for the gravedigger. I think there is another way to figure it out involving the autopsy and some other things Geralt noticed during the investigations, but I don't remember exactly. I think it had something to do with the spiked fisstech and the corpse's brain.

Max said:

Ch. 2 Question:
I think if you don't manage to find the two big clues posted above but have already ruled everyone else out, he goes by the fact that
his medallion shakes around Raymond and it didn't used to.
Or it was a bug and he made the conclusion for no reason at all :)

RedSwirl

Max said:

Ch. 2 Question:

The last time you met him, your necklace vibrated in response to his magic. Also, the autopsy on that prisoner revealed that it was probably Javas who killed him.

Max

I am not Max
Ok thanks guys. I finished the cemetary quest afterwards. Now it makes more sense

Would have been better if I was somehow forced to go to the Gravedigger, I had by chance because of OCD :/

Varna

So I just installed my 580 and I'm doing some testing... Witcher seems to freeze every time I make a graphic change, but at least it sticks after I manually kill the task and restart. I go on to try Neverwinter Nights 2 after because if I remember correctly they use the same engine... same shit, except the settings won't stick... Anyone know a work around for this?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
In Chapter 2,
how do I kill the damn golem?
The lighting always strikes me, not him?

Does anyone have any save files for the beginning of Chapter 3, or know where I can download?

I essentially just lost all Chapter 2 progress (forgot to back up my latest saves on a reformat), and there's no way in fucking hell I'm slogging through that again.

Psi

Ermac said:
In Chapter 2,
how do I kill the damn golem?
The lighting always strikes me, not him?

Don't activate the third one until he's standing in the middle of them.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
bluedeviltron said:
Does anyone have any save files for the beginning of Chapter 3, or know where I can download?

I essentially just lost all Chapter 2 progress (forgot to back up my latest saves on a reformat), and there's no way in fucking hell I'm slogging through that again.

I'm at the part where I have to go to a blacksmith and get a rod and I have 8 of the 10 Sephirot. Not sure how much longer I am till chapter 3 tho

Just entered Chapter V. Damn it keeps getting better!
How long do I have left? I'll be gone over the weekend and have like 2-3 hours to play today. Can I finish it tonight or should I wait after the weekend? (hate to leave it halfway done)

Fox318

Melhisedek said:
How long do I have left? I'll be gone over the weekend and have like 2-3 hours to play today. Can I finish it tonight or should I wait after the weekend? (hate to leave it halfway done)
There are a few sidequests that you should defiantly complete. I'd say wait till after the weekend.

Minsc

Gold Member
Melhisedek said:

Chapter 5 is the shortest chapter of the game, not including the epilogue. 2-3 hours is probably pushing it though, especially if you don't have Raven's armor yet, and want to get it.

RPS: How the Witcher Dealt with Choice

Excellent article that pretty much sums up why choice is handled so well in Witcher. Spoiler warning though as he does reference some things in Act 2.

That’s how choice tends to go in The Witcher. You’re presented with a decision where either side of the argument could be valid, and then forced to make the call. It’s a running, morbid joke throughout the game that Witchers are supposed to be bastions of neutrality, an agent that is there purely to deal with monsters. But they’re powerful warriors, and when the monsters don’t seem to be nearly as clear-cut as Geralt and his brethren might like, the world is becoming a place they’re going to have to involve themselves in, otherwise they’re at risk of becoming redundant relics, occasionally evoked when some particularly large rats appear in the local tavern’s cellar.

But there’s two phases to every choice here, too. First, there’s the decision, and then, there’s the consequence. In many other games, that consequence takes place soon after the decision, so that it can give you some good or bad points and push you a little more up whichever end of the binary spectrum you’ve decided to pursue. It’s also easier if, in terms of storytelling, you get to connect that consequence with your action before you get about it. The problem with that, and something that The Witcher sidesteps so elegantly, is that the player almost always has the option to revoke that choice that they’ve just made with a minimum of retreading.

You can just quicksave before the conversation, and then reload if you don’t like the outcome. Like a spoilt child, you get to have your way, even if you fuck up. You’re a beautiful and delicate flower, and the mere chance that you might be presented with something that disagrees with you isn’t something that can be tolerated. Instead you need to have that reassuring hand on your shoulder that lets you back out of any decision that you’ve made, right after you’ve made it.

In The Witcher, that hand is a push, and it’s forcing you to remain in an anxious limbo, unable to see what the consequences of your choice are, how big and how powerful an impact crater the asteroid of your decision is going to leave. It might be an hour later, it could be something that doesn’t even show up until next chapter. But it’s going to come back, and it’s going to have an impact.

I wish more games would be this subtle. In terms of moral choices, every other developer approaches it with such a heavy handed stroke that it ultimately feels borderline insulting.

Geoff9920

Beginning of Act 5:
I ended up siding with the order, but good now now Geralt talks with racist comments and it's really bugging me. Definitely not the way I imagined him acting when I made the choice. Oh well, I think I just deal with the consequences of the choices I made instead of trying to go back and change things. Who knows what would have happened if I had stayed neutral.

Now to get the Raven Armor and finish up the game. :)

I've been playing the game over 2 years now, began on a Qosmio laptop and finishing it off on a 1600p Dell monitor :lol.

Chapter 4 is amazing, it looks and plays the best so far, hopefully it won't overstay its' welcome like Vizima did. I'm in the fields looking for
Allina

Max

I am not Max
How am I supposed to come out of the bank scene neutral?

Ugh, now when I talk to Triss I can only mention that i'm with the Squirrels.

Max said:

You don't need to if you want to go the neutral path...IIRC

Max said:

You can't, but
you can return to neutral later. The bank eliminates one of your options from the end game but neutral will still be an option.

Slo

Max said:

*gives drink*
"you're drunk, get out!"

Among others, terrible.

I loved that. I thought she was hilarious.

Max

I am not Max
Keep crashing during
the big battle in the Salamandra base
chapter 3 D:

Even set to low settings

I'll try not using Igni so much this time.

edit: ok it was just Igni doing too much damage at once I guess ;)

bengraven

After not wanting to finish my main game when I realized Triss was the main female character of part 2 and I chose Shani, I finally took it back up and beat the game.

Awesome ending CGI.

Nice twist on the Grand Master, although
it makes sense it's Alvin and from a story perspective the tragedy is much more interesting, we never get to see his family, so maybe Alvin is his son?

Thinking of picking up an old save right when I'm asked to choose one of the two redheads and choose Triss, hoping to finish before the 14th.

Top Bottom