• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Exuro said:
It's just clicking when the flaming sword appears, but make sure to adjust your stances depending on the enemy.

Animations are a little weird. The game runs on a bad engine and theres quite a bit of amateur animations.

Meditation length doesn't matter, however you'll want to meditate and change the time of day for certain quests or events. Somethings are only available at certain times of the day.

It's not easy to to these combos though, it seems i have little time to react for the flaming sword, maybe i just need some more practice.

And hopefully the animations in Witcher 2 are better than that. :p It's been what? 4 years now? I guess they had plenty of time.

Bisnic said:
It's not easy to to these combos though, it seems i have little time to react for the flaming sword, maybe i just need some more practice.

And hopefully the animations in Witcher 2 are better than that. :p It's been what? 4 years now? I guess they had plenty of time.

By the time you get near the end of act 2 you won't even be looking at the icons anymore.
You get the swoosh sound when you should be pressing the button already and that is enough feedback to keep the timing going after a while.

There are some pretty cool finisher and combat animations once you unlock higher talents in the sword talent pages.

If you time your dodges and attacks and signs perfectly the combat can look and feel really good.
If you mess it up it can look wonky.
It grows on you.

Bisnic said:

After a while it gets a lot easier. When you're used to the combos you can probably go by the rhythm of the hit sounds without even looking at the screen. The time to click is always when he twirls his sword between moves. If you miss the click, then try and remember to do it a little earlier the next time.

Witcher 2's combat is completely different. No chained combos off of timed clicks at all.

Minsc

Gold Member
markot said:
Hm. How long does this game take generally >.<

Usually ~50 hours (some people are 60+), unless you just skip all the dialog and quests, which it may take closer to 30.

bluedeviltron said:
I never used alchemy because I never found it necessary. But keep going: I suck at games, I did it wrong, etc...

By the way, I would have raged at that final sequence if I ever managed to get past Javed 'legit'. The number of ridiculously powerful enemies thrown at you is comical. Still, a cool idea.

I played on hard and didn't think there was a single difficult fight past act 3 or so, which is around when I got enough abilities and really had the system down. If I were to replay it, I doubt I find any fight difficult at all in the entire game, but I'd still be using potions when they are needed, as it was intended.

Bisnic

I tried playing the game with all the settings set to high, with AA to 2x and highest resolution. Since the game is a little old, i figured my PC could easily handle it, but the framerates in cutscenes are very bad, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it seems to hit below 30 FPS.

My CPU is a AMD quad core 3.2ghz, i got 4gb of DDR2 RAM and my video card is a 9800gt 1gb DDR3. Was i wrong in thinking i could play the game in high settings with good FPS?

garath

I just bought the game on gog. I've owned it for years and never finished it. I found my old save files and figured I would try to start where I left off. My playtime these days really doesn't lend itself to 50 hours. I'd be at it for months. ~25-30 is my sweet spot.

Unfortunately I am totally lost. I started over long enough to remember the mechanics but I am missing key things. I don't even know what chapter I'm in. I tried feeling my way around a walkthrough to see if I could get a handle of where I left off but doesn't seem doable.

I'm in a swamp, I have a quest to put the last "sepirot?" into something. It's all the way across the map. I tried getting there but kept dying lol.

I think I'm stuck. I'm going to have to restart. The last save was from 2008.

Cheech

Bisnic said:
I tried playing the game with all the settings set to high, with AA to 2x and highest resolution. Since the game is a little old, i figured my PC could easily handle it, but the framerates in cutscenes are very bad, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it seems to hit below 30 FPS.

My CPU is a AMD quad core 3.2ghz, i got 4gb of DDR2 RAM and my video card is a 9800gt 1gb DDR3. Was i wrong in thinking i could play the game in high settings with good FPS?

Yeah, your video card is kind of underpowered for this game.

The Witcher's engine is horrible. I have Crossfired 6870s, and it still chugs in certain areas.

zer0das

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
Hard difficulty, and I never used alchemy (ever) and never paid much attention to potions. This entire final act has been one awful encounter after another, but everything's been manageable up to this point. This, as far as I can tell, is an impossible fight for me.

Love dead ends in games. LOVE them.

I think that was the biggest letdown in the game for me. I thought I'd have to stack a bunch of potions to even have a chance (and I had like 10 of each potion at this point, because I spent forever on Act 2 and 3 doing all of the side quests), and it ended up being a walkover. Actually, that's pretty much every fight in the last act, and I went very light on the signs.

But I don't know how you can get past the previous 3 acts without using potions on hard. I couldn't get past act 1 without them.

Bisnic

Cheech said:
Yeah, your video card is kind of underpowered for this game.

The Witcher's engine is horrible. I have Crossfired 6870s, and it still chugs in certain areas.

Yeah, i kind of figured my video card is starting to be a little outdated, it's probably as old as the game itself lol. And on top of that, the fan is starting to do an annoying noise that forces me to tap it a little to make it stop. Maybe it's a sign that i should buy a new one.

wilflare

changed to a 5830 from a 3850.
gosh the screen tearing is annoying the hell out of me.

forcing vsync via CCC doesn't seem to help

Slo

What chapter are you in? If you're in Chapter 3, go to some of the merchants that hang out along the wall. One of them sells all kinds of jewels and jewelry.

Minsc

Gold Member
wilflare said:
changed to a 5830 from a 3850.
gosh the screen tearing is annoying the hell out of me.

forcing vsync via CCC doesn't seem to help

Use d3doverrider from rivatuner. A 5830 to 3850s a downgrade though, isn't it?

RedSwirl said:

There's a good chance whoever you sold it to will sell it back to you. I think merchants keep stuff they're sold for quite a while.

wilflare

eh oops.
i meant a 3850 to a 5830.
sorry, my head got ahead of my keyboard.

but honestly, i thought ATi fixed the issue. it's kinda "dumb" to download a 3rd-party app just to fix the issue for one game.

Bisnic

I heard this game was censored in the US when it was released. I bought the Enhanced version on GOG yesterday, is this version censored too? I turned off the game yesterday just after the "sex" scene with Triss, which didn't have any nudity at all. So i guess it's still censored?

RedSwirl

Minsc said:
Use d3doverrider from rivatuner. A 5830 to 3850s a downgrade though, isn't it?

There's a good chance whoever you sold it to will sell it back to you. I think merchants keep stuff they're sold for quite a while.

I've been trying to find that merchang, but it's likely any of the merchants who will take diamonds throughout chapters II and III. My problem is finding that merchant.

Minsc

Gold Member
wilflare said:
eh oops.
i meant a 3850 to a 5830.
sorry, my head got ahead of my keyboard.

but honestly, i thought ATi fixed the issue. it's kinda "dumb" to download a 3rd-party app just to fix the issue for one game.

It's nothing to do with being ATi, both ATi and nVidia cards use it, and it's not just for one game, it's for all games. Even if a game offers v-sync there's a chance it's not as good as the v-sync you'd get from D3DOverrider :)

lotrfan

Neo Member
Bisnic said:
I heard this game was censored in the US when it was released. I bought the Enhanced version on GOG yesterday, is this version censored too? I turned off the game yesterday just after the "sex" scene with Triss, which didn't have any nudity at all. So i guess it's still censored?
It shouldn’t be but in any case the first sex card had no nudity so you can only tell with the next encounter.

wilflare

thanks Minsc
downloaded and installed Rivatuner
extracted D3DOverrider
added "witcher.exe" to it
and uninstalled Rivatuner

that's all to it right?

gdt

Just bought this on GOG, will download as soon as my new laptop gets here. I'm ready. 10ft HDMI cable, laptop desk for the just arrived wireless mouse + keyboard. Lets do this! PC gaming get.

Minsc

Gold Member
wilflare said:
thanks Minsc
downloaded and installed Rivatuner
extracted D3DOverrider
added "witcher.exe" to it
and uninstalled Rivatuner

that's all to it right?

Yea, I never uninstalled rivatuner myself, but as long as you have d3doverrider running you should be fine. It has pretty good auto-detecting capabilities, so usually don't don't have to add games individually, but there's a few things it can conflict with (out of the hundreds it doesn't), so it's up to you how you set it up.

The important thing is you just need to listen for the little chime when you are initially loading the game (should happen instantly, before you can even see a loading screen), that means it detects the game and is working.

wilflare

that's queer. i didn't hear the chime.
gotta reset it again.

do you launch the game with launcher.exe or just straight from witcher.exe?

Salaadin

wilflare said:
gotta reset it again.

brain-stew has a good writeup on ideal d3doverrider settings and what it does:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16451610&postcount=1

I never set up individual games in d3doverrider. I keep it set to Medium detection and run it for every game. 9 times out of 10, the Vsync in d3doverrider is better than the in game Vsync that I dont even test the in game options anymore.

I only add games to the list if I want them exempt from d3doverrider, which is a rarity.

bengraven

Jay Shadow said:
The only way to get the option to help the Order in Murky Waters is by also helping them at the Bank in Chapter 3. So in the big picture that's twice in a row you've been against the Scoia'tael. You may not be best friends with the Order, but you're definitely working against the Scoia'tael at that point. So yeah, it's weird to just leave the situation alone, but that's the big price they make you pay for trying to remain neutral.

He makes a good point though. Geralt is neutral, he's the kind of guy who would kill a little girl to ensure an entire village survives and he wouldn't blink. But in that situation
where two sides are using a group of innocent villagers as bargaining chips, I think he would have at least tried to rescue the villagers, even if he has to kill every single Order or Scoia there. Which is how it should have ended if you chose neutral.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Bisnic said:
I should have bought the game friday instead of yesterday... I'm bored at work and wanna play!

Ha! I'm in the same exact situation. I bought it last night and got it installed, but it was late and I had to go to sleep after :(

Minsc

Gold Member
wilflare said:
gotta reset it again.

I've always just used the witcher.exe. Strange it didn't activate, all I can think is to try and raise the detection mode to high, I think you can use low/med/high. Possibly restart? I don't know, it's definitely worked fine for me and others. See if you can test it with any other games if it still doesn't work, it should chime active for any D3D game, which is most games out there. It'll be worth it once you get it running though, good luck!

LQX

Question: Are there any mods out there to make the combat better...or more slashing like say Fable?

RedSwirl said:
Also, where can I find Zoltan during Chapter III?

Like Van Buren said, check Vivaldi's house, but in my case I also saw him randomly walking in the Temple Quarter and in that quarter's inn by night. It's not easy to locate

CAW

Got lucky and found my old saves on an almost broken ext hdd (crashed just after I copied the saves over, whew!). I have the Steam EE and I'm trying to find information on the uncensor patch or file, but I can't get to their official forums. I keep getting blocked by this page: http://www.thewitcher.com/tw2promo/index.html

Any ideas?

Minsc

Gold Member
CAW said:
Got lucky and found my old saves on an almost broken ext hdd (crashed just after I copied the saves over, whew!). I have the Steam EE and I'm trying to find information on the uncensor patch or file, but I can't get to their official forums. I keep getting blocked by this page: http://www.thewitcher.com/tw2promo/index.html

Any ideas?

Steam version is said to be uncensored, if not this should fix it I suppose.

Edit: Not quick enough today!

CAW

Ah, I see that now, thanks. Just went into the journal and looked at some characters. I could have sworn Triss had a nude card, not covered. Ah well it's been awhile (2009) since I played.
Vesna
though, confirmed it's uncensored. haha

Looks like I'm in the swamps with a 23H save file. I'm assuming I still have a fair bit of gameplay left. Less than a week to finish it!

Salaadin

CAW said:
Ah, I see that now, thanks. Just went into the journal and looked at some characters. I could have sworn Triss had a nude card, not covered. Ah well it's been awhile (2009) since I played.
Vesna
though, confirmed it's uncensored. haha

Looks like I'm in the swamps with a 23H save file. I'm assuming I still have a fair bit of gameplay left. Less than a week to finish it!

Triss has 2. One covered, one uncovered. Youll see the goods a little later if you play your cards right.

WEGGLES

Got bored of the game before. Tutorial/initial castle part felt like much more of a drag than it was.

Started chapter 1 really enjoying it but fuck... is the whole game this back-and-forth non stop walking?

I go from the Inn to the Reverend "You need to go to the inn" :|

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
WEGGLES said:
Got bored of the game before. Tutorial/initial castle part felt like much more of a drag than it was.

Started chapter 1 really enjoying it but fuck... is the whole game this back-and-forth non stop walking?

I go from the Inn to the Reverend "You need to go to the inn" :|
Yeeeah, I really didn't like the Prologue and the outskirts aren't exactly the most happenin' parts of the game... It does pick up though and becomes very engrossing. I just started chapter 4, and while you'll still have to do plenty of walking at least the later areas are much more dense in terms of quests and stuff to do.

Plus, once you get the silver sword you can equip it, select the fast stance, and increase your run speed... which helps. :p

DeVeAn

Couple of questions is the combat point and click? Also, can I use a 360 controller at all? I know it might have been answered but too many posts to read through.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
DeVeAn said:
Couple of questions is the combat point and click? Also, can I use a 360 controller at all? I know it might have been answered but too many posts to read through.
No controller support, combat is point and click with some timing.

DeVeAn said:
yes it's point and click, although if you play in over the shoulder mode, it can be more like aim the camera and click.

No controller support.

DeVeAn

ExMachina said:
No controller support, combat is point and click with some timing.
Crap, then it's not for me. Witcher 2 looks amazing too. Man I really am interested but I KNOW I won't be happy if I get it.

DeVeAn said:
Crap, then it's not for me. Witcher 2 looks amazing too. Man I really am interested but I KNOW I won't be happy if I get it.
Unlike the first game, Witcher 2 isn't point and click and does use the 360 controller. So at least 1 out of 2 games will be good for you.

WEGGLES

ExMachina said:
Yeeeah, I really didn't like the Prologue and the outskirts aren't exactly the most happenin' parts of the game... It does pick up though and becomes very engrossing. I just started chapter 4, and while you'll still have to do plenty of walking at least the later areas are much more dense in terms of quests and stuff to do.

Plus, once you get the silver sword you can equip it, select the fast stance, and increase your run speed... which helps. :p
Kind-of a bummer they seem to pile on a lot of empty gameplay on at the beginning. It's fun and interesting, but annoying that almost everything involves ~3 minutes of boring walking. Autorun would do wonders.

witcher2011-05-1108-503c5l.png

witcher2011-05-1201-36qe9u.png

The game definitely looks great at times.
The time of day transitions and lighting in motion and use of color are awesome.

The swamp at the druids looks really, really good.

And people are saying in other threads that it looks like a fancy ps2 game :lol

edit: edited out horrible spelling and grammar.

Top Bottom