• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

SneakyStephan said:
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2011-05-1108-503c5l.png[/IMG]
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2011-05-1201-36qe9u.png[/IMG]

The game definately looks great at times.
The time of day transitions and lighting in movement and use of color is awesome.

Swamp at the druids looks really, really good.

And people are saying in other threads that it looks like a fancy ps2 game :lol

You're in for a treat if you haven't hit Act IV yet..

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I dont understand this game's mechanics or something, i was ok with sword fighting, but the hand combat in the inn, against lowlifes, is hard as shit, i cant beat Fat fred for the life of me, clicking to punch in this game must mean waiting for his animation of punching YOU to end and then a 5 secs delay before you go at it, whats the use of blocking with the right button anyway? barely lowers the damage.

Someone please explain to me, im not understanding this at all.

Buggy Loop said:
I dont understand this game's mechanics or something, i was ok with sword fighting, but the hand combat in the inn, against lowlifes, is hard as shit, i cant beat Fat fred for the life of me, clicking to punch in this game must mean waiting for his animation of punching YOU to end and then a 5 secs delay before you go at it, whats the use of blocking with the right button anyway? barely lowers the damage.

Someone please explain to me, im not understanding this at all.

Hold right button, right after he swings and misses you hit back, when the icon lights up you hit again (hard to time in fist fights).
You can always just cheese it by holding right-> wait for your dodge-> swing ONCE -> hold right again, repeat.

Minsc

Gold Member
WEGGLES said:
Kind-of a bummer they seem to pile on a lot of empty gameplay on at the beginning. It's fun and interesting, but annoying that almost everything involves ~3 minutes of boring walking. Autorun would do wonders.

Autorun = hold down "w"

Wasn't that bad for me, gave me a chance to admire some of the scenery. The city confused the heck out of me at first two, all the running around helped me get my bearings so I didn't have to use the map.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Finally beat the game. Wow, definitely joined the ranks of my favorite RPGs and even favorite games. Though there were times it felt a bit boring (mainly Outskirts), it was generally very interesting and enjoyable. Great characters, side quests, gameplay, etc. This gives me high hopes for Witcher 2, and my only regret is not taking the time to get the special armor as I didn't realize it gets ported to the sequel.

Nezabyte said:
Finally beat the game. Wow, definitely joined the ranks of my favorite RPGs and even favorite games. Though there were times it felt a bit boring (mainly Outskirts), it was generally very interesting and enjoyable. Great characters, side quests, gameplay, etc. This gives me high hopes for Witcher 2, and my only regret is not taking the time to get the special armor as I didn't realize it gets ported to the sequel.

Care to elaborate? I'm at the end of chapter 2 now
autopsy
and will probably get to that part eventually in a few days.

Is it something that's easy to miss? or did you deliberately skip it.

SneakyStephan said:
Care to elaborate? I'm at the end of chapter 2 now
autopsy
and will probably get to that part eventually in a few days.

Is it something that's easy to miss? or did you deliberately skip it.
It's late in the game. You get the quest in Chapter 4 and can't complete it until Chapter 5. Given the amount of armor available in Witcher 2 I don't think you'll miss it that much if you accidentally don't get it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So when do you get a Silver Sword in this game? I'm still in chapter 1 doing a bunch of quests, but still no sign of it.

Also, those tentacle monsters things in the cave to the northwest hits hard, and there's always 2 or 3 of them at once, but they're too far away from each other so that my group stance can work. :( That damn quest is much harder than the others right now. Maybe i should look into making some potions for endurance or something...i still barely touched them.

Also, i wish there was some kind of quick transport, or just a way to run faster, running from one side of the village to the other is long!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bisnic said:
So when do you get a Silver Sword in this game? I'm still in chapter 1 doing a bunch of quests, but still no sign of it.

Also, those tentacle monsters things in the cave to the northwest hits hard, and there's always 2 or 3 of them at once, but they're too far away from each other so that my group stance can work. :( That damn quest is much harder than the others right now. Maybe i should look into making some potions for endurance or something...i still barely touched them.

Also, i wish there was some kind of quick transport, or just a way to run faster, running from one side of the village to the other is long!

-You'll get a silver sword right after the 1st chapter.
-If those mobs are too hard, you should probably just level up and come back later.
-While there is no form of quick travel, Geralt does run faster in the group stance.

Edit: Also, don't forget to use whetstones, and the vitality/endurance potions. They will make you near unstoppable on the normal difficulty.

Exuro

Pankaks said:
-You'll get a silver sword right after the 1st chapter.
-If those mobs are too hard, you should probably just level up and come back later.
-While there is no form of quick travel, Geralt does run faster in the group stance.
Adding to the hard mobs, the Blizzard potion is your friend. Use that against the enemies in the cave.

Finally beat it. Quite a journey getting there. My dad got the original version free with a video card years ago, but I never really got into it. Picked up the enhanced for myself a year ago. Got halfway through and then lost access to a computer that could play it for a month. Restarted about a week ago. Great game. Loved the ending cinematic. Neutral path for me, both sides are huge douches.

I have to say, though, I found it to be very easy overall on normal mode. I've pretty much given up on hard modes after beating God of War II on Titan mode. Not worth the stress. But still, I never needed potions. Maybe in the last battle- I would have died without potions. I only used them because the game suggested I should. I might reload and try without. Didn't use a single healing potion in the game, either. Which is probably good considering they took them out for part 2.

Bisnic said:

Silver sword, when you get it, in fast mode is your friend. Fastest way to travel by far.

WEGGLES said:
I've played ~7-8 hours and am just getting into Chapter 2.

Is this game fucking LOOOONG, or am I pokey?
It can be pretty long if you do all the side quests because there's a lot of running back and forth. Chapter 2 and 3 are the longest then it starts to speed up after that.

WEGGLES

Jay Shadow said:
It can be pretty long if you do all the side quests because there's a lot of running back and forth. Chapter 2 and 3 are the longest then it starts to speed up after that.
Oh good.

Really liking it, but ch 1 fatigued me for sure. So much walking.

Van Buren

WEGGLES said:
Oh good.

Chapter 1 still felt like a tutorial to me. Chapter 2 was when the quests got interesting since the Main Quest can be progressed in multiple subtle ways.

WEGGLES

Van Buren said:
Chapter 1 still felt like a tutorial to me. Chapter 2 was when the quests got interesting since the Main Quest can be progressed in multiple subtle ways.
I've already had previous decisions come back around to me.

I couldn't deliver the parcel because he had been killed by Squirrels who I let have weapons

Didn't see it working like that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
WEGGLES said:
Oh good.

Yea, chapter 1 is hated by many people for this reason. Chapter 2 and 3 are better about it but there is still some running to be done in later chapters.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Well call me crazy but I now own 3 copies of Witcher: CD, Steam, and GOG. What can I say, I gotta support an amazing company that created an amazing game. Really loving the art book and soundtracks from GOG :)

syoaran

I finally decided to lock myself up and play this before the sequel came out. A whole day later, I'm in Act5. Done most of the sidequests that I could see
(although I'm sure I missed some quests in the Eleven camp in Act4). Most importantly, it seems like I've got every sex card I can see.

It's good and can be very tongue and cheek in places, I'm looking forward to the sequel a lot if it can improve the AI and environmental detail (so many times getting stuck in the swamp because of the low reeds blocking my path, and then a giant 4 legging beast comes and ganks me...)

Bliddo

Nezabyte said:
Well call me crazy but I now own 3 copies of Witcher: CD, Steam, and GOG. What can I say, I gotta support an amazing company that created an amazing game. Really loving the art book and soundtracks from GOG :)
:)
I'v got the first retail release, the Enhanced edition retail and the steam EE.

Can anyone explain the alchemy experimantation to me?

I tried experimenting and ended up making a devries potion , but the recipe never got added to my list, what's up with that?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm currently playing it and I'm enjoying chapter 1 quite a bit. I think I cleared most of the quests anyways.

One question though. About books, once I read them and get their entries. It's okay to sell them then?

Also, I'm a proud holder of the first edition retail euro release too ^_^

grkazan12

Still in chapter 1 and I want to level up some of my sword skills. Was wondering if I should upgrade my Steel Sword skills or Silver Swords skills? Is it worth it to do one over the other?

shintoki said:
I'm currently playing it and I'm enjoying chapter 1 quite a bit. I think I cleared most of the quests anyways.

One question though. About books, once I read them and get their entries. It's okay to sell them then?

Also, I'm a proud holder of the first edition retail euro release too ^_^
Yes it's okay to sell them.

Still in chapter 1 and I want to level up some of my sword skills. Was wondering if I should upgrade my Steel Sword skills or Silver Swords skills? Is it worth it to do one over the other?
You get enough bronze points to get pretty much everything.
Level str/int (gives you the ability to make weapon oils etc) and dex and steel sword in the first chapter, you won't get a silver sword till chapter 2 start.

Make sure you put some points into Aard too! Get the stun proc for aard or the first chapter boss will be frustrating as hell.

lotrfan

Neo Member
SneakyStephan said:
Can anyone explain the alchemy experimantation to me?

I tried experimenting and ended up making a devries potion , but the recipe never got added to my list, what's up with that?
Make sure the secondary ingredient is the same. For example let’s say that you need to make a potion that has one red, one blue and one green ingredient. Just make sure you get red-white, blue-white and green-white (or any other secondary color). Then your potion will have the original desired effects but will add some boost. Experiment with different secondary colors and see what combinations you like. Note that these special potions are grouped separately from their standard counterparts.

bengraven

grkazan12 said:

I would try and even them out, though in the area you're in maybe silver would be better.

Bisnic

I'm still a little confused about all the talents, so i still try to even them out and pick whatever increase my stats, rather than some crap like resistance to intoxication.

When do you get silver and gold talents? In the late chapters or something?

Leonsito

Bliddo said:
:)
I'v got the first retail release, the Enhanced edition retail and the steam EE.

I own this:

IMG_1454.jpg

Also gifted the Steam and the GoG version to my gf and a friend, it's so good that I want other people to play it, even if I have to pay it myself lol

Yeah, I'm not gifting more guys.

Slo

Bisnic said:
I'm still a little confused about all the talents, so i still try to even them out and pick whatever increase my stats, rather than some crap like resistance to intoxication.

Focus on things like increasing your strength, intelligence, stamina, and dexterity, as well as the Igni sign and beefing up your attacking stances. Basically put points into whatever you will help you the most RIGHT NOW. By the end of the game you'll be hunting for places to burn your unused Bronze talents on.

As you go up in levels, you'll start getting silver and gold talents to spend with each level gained.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bisnic said:

It depends on levels, see the chart here. Silver starts at level 15, and gold at level 30.

Bisnic said:

I think it's something like (I'll put in spoiler):
-Levels 1-20: bronze talents
-Levels 21-30: bronze and silver talents
-Levels 31-40: ¿bronze?, silver and gold talents

EDIT Beaten, more or less what I remembered. Anyway, I don't know that the level cap was 50, in my playtroughs I reached around 40

Bisnic

Yeah, i was stupid enough to put points into Silver Sword stances when i still don't have that. =/ At least that will give me an opportunity to put points elsewhere once i get it.

I suppose you won't be able to get every talents by the end of the game?

Minsc

Gold Member
Bisnic said:
Yeah, i was stupid enough to put points into Silver Sword stances when i still don't have that. =/ At least that will give me an opportunity to put points elsewhere once i get it.

I suppose you won't be able to get every talents by the end of the game?

I ended up with ~90% of the bronze talents, ~50% of the silver talents, and ~20% of the gold talents when I finished, but I didn't get anywhere close to level 50 (maybe low 40s).

General tactics:
Silver sword is more useful throughout the game, there's just a handful of difficult battles against humans where it pays to switch to steel, so if you want to save points favor just steel group style (as you generally fight humans in groups) and for silver spread them evenly across all the styles, maybe favoring strong just slightly.

Abilities like stun and igni's fire attack, and effects like adding bleeding to a burning enemy while using strong stance are useful.

DeVeAn

Jay Shadow said:
Unlike the first game, Witcher 2 isn't point and click and does use the 360 controller. So at least 1 out of 2 games will be good for you.
No shit! Awesome need to look into part 2 a bit more than.

DeVeAn said:
No shit! Awesome need to look into part 2 a bit more than.

Can I ask what the obsession of HAVING to play with a controller is?
I really don't see why it would matter for an rpg, I could understand not wanting to play a racing game or platformer with a keyboard though.

Also damn how long is this game?
I feel like I'm easily 30 hours into the game now and I'm barely halfway through chapter 3.
Hope they pace tw2 a bit better than the first one, because while I enjoy the dialog and story, it all moves a bit too slow.

Bisnic

Something been bothering me since i saw the Revered on Chapter 1... are my graphics glitched, or did the developpers just do a shitty job on his beard? It's like the Reverend took the lower jaw of another man to replaced his own. And the textures doesn't look that good, even on high(although that might be because the game is starting to age).

wmnHm.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, that looks rough. I don't remember seeing anything quite as bad as those concrete textures but maybe I turned a blind eye to it.

Maybe he had an accident and had to receive a beard transplant from another man.

Yay! I finally understand what "damn all dissonances" means!

The graphics are pretty great if you tweak the right bits. I'm playing on all max with 2xAA and 4xSSAA forced for transparency, and it's smooth and looks great. The texture work is just beautiful in places, especially characters and outdoor environments. Like someone said before, the swamp is surprisingly appealing visually. Well, for a swamp.

markot

Banned
I need some infos plz ty!

1: Is there any leveling up path that is recommended? There are so many things you can put points into >.<

2: How useful are potions? Should I be collecting all the herbs and buying books and what notses?

3: Ummmm... Is there a quick travel method >.>?

4: I have a sword, a hatchet and a dagger, but all I use is my sword... whats the point of the other stuff?!

Bebpo

Banned
I just started this and is it normal for the cutscenes at the start to be running at like 5-15fps while the gameplay is 60fps? It's like whenever there are special effects (magic, sparks, whatever) during cutscenes the framerate just dies. When it's people standing around it's 60fps.

mileS

Bebpo said:
I just started this and is it normal for the cutscenes at the start to be running at like 5-15fps while the gameplay is 60fps? It's like whenever there are special effects (magic, sparks, whatever) during cutscenes the framerate just dies. When it's people standing around it's 60fps.

yea it is. I played around with settings for a while testing it. The first couple cutscenes run the worst but almost everything else I've seen until the end of chapter 1 has been fine.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Almost done with the game... back into another swamp, heh.

witcher-2011-05-13-20-hgyg.jpg

For some reason I've had 2 hard crashes since entering the area when I haven't had any problems with the rest of the game. :( Anyone else run into issues in Chapter 5?

Bisnic

Any trick for the Beast? This thing and its 4-5 companions are raping me. I can hardly land a hit before i get killed. =/

Pancakes

Bisnic said:
Any trick for the Beast? This thing and its 4-5 companions are raping me. I can hardly land a hit before i get killed. =/

Spam Aard and pray it connects =/.

It's probably the worst boss fight in the game.

bengraven

ExMachina said:
Almost done with the game... back into another swamp, heh.

Don't worry , it goes by pretty fast. Just run past all the drowners, they're not going to help you level at this point and can't catch up anyway.

markot said:
I need some infos plz ty!

1: Is there any leveling up path that is recommended? There are so many things you can put points into >.<

2: How useful are potions? Should I be collecting all the herbs and buying books and what notses?

3: Ummmm... Is there a quick travel method >.>?

4: I have a sword, a hatchet and a dagger, but all I use is my sword... whats the point of the other stuff?!

1: you get a lot of points while leveling.
Aard and igni are the two best spells to put points into.

Level your main stat talents (str/int etc) and try to find some synergy talents in your weapon talents.

2: very usefull.
Collect herbs but don't go out of your way to do it, you run past plenty of bushes.
Buy the herb identifying books too, monster books and recipe scrolls.
You can find some of them while playing but money isn't really an issue, you can always play dice a few times to earn back any lost money.

3: you get teleports later on to port between the main areas from a portal in each.

4: no point really, some of the other weapons have effects like a stun ,which I suppose can be usefull, but you cant do your witcher stuff with em.
You get a silver sword that's very useful and goes in it's own slot, and you can get better steel swords or meteorite ones for your steel sword slot.

The main thing is use the right combat stance and the right weapon vs each enemy (steel or silver), combined with the weapon oils to apply if needed vs strong ones.

@ the fugly screenshot: the textures are generally really good in this game.
I've never seen a texture anywhere near as bad, maybe your settings are wrong?
Textures are generally on par with or better than most modern cross platform games (texture res and quality, not the 1000 shader effects plastered on top of them).

Top Bottom