• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SneakyStephan said:
@ the fugly screenshot: the textures are generally really good in this game.
I've never seen a texture anywhere near as bad, maybe your settings are wrong?
Textures are generally on par with or better than most modern cross platform games (texture res and quality, not the 1000 shader effects plastered on top of them).

I'm pretty sure the textures are set to high. It really depends on where i am, some textures looks pretty good, others are fucking horrible, like on that screenshot. Add to this the unnatural animations during cutscenes where you talk to people, and it really shows that this game is built on some crappy engine. It doesn't look very finished at times lol. Like the developper released the game while it was on its beta stage.

The game is fun, but its a technical mess.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bisnic said:
Any trick for the Beast? This thing and its 4-5 companions are raping me. I can hardly land a hit before i get killed. =/
Make sure you got Stun+Knockback on Aard. One Shot, One Kill

*Like a Boss*

Anyways, Most of what I played is coming back to me. But I can't quite recall many of the decisions or plotlines yet. So it's been pretty good. About 2-3 hours in Chapter 2 now.

One of the few games, where I honestly don't care about the combat as much as I enjoy actually questing. Which is normally the reverse. I enjoy trying find every quest in the section before moving on.

Bisnic

shintoki said:
Make sure you got Stun+Knockback on Aard. One Shot, One Kill

*Like a Boss*

Anyways, Most of what I played is coming back to me. But I can't quite recall many of the decisions or plotlines yet. So it's been pretty good. About 2-3 hours in Chapter 2 now.

One of the few games, where I honestly don't care about the combat as much as I enjoy actually questing. Which is normally the reverse. I enjoy trying find every quest in the section before moving on.

I dont think i got those 2 talents.. guess i'll have to kill some monsters for lvling up before going after him again... but now the village is empty and i cant complete some quests left. :(

Carm

Bebpo said:
I just started this and is it normal for the cutscenes at the start to be running at like 5-15fps while the gameplay is 60fps? It's like whenever there are special effects (magic, sparks, whatever) during cutscenes the framerate just dies. When it's people standing around it's 60fps.

It's not normal, but it has happened to me on a previous install. I don't remember if I was still using my 8800gts or my 460 at the time. Could be a corrupted install to I guess, my current install has been fine, except for one short cut scene in act 3. Can you update drivers, maybe that is causing it.

mnannola

Freezing a busted hard drive is greatest thing ever. After playing the Witcher for the past few months and getting halfway through Act 4(I have a newborn, give me a break), my hard drive surprised me with the click of death. I was ready to give up on this game, would be tough to start all over.

Instead I bought a external HD enclosure, froze my hard drive for 48 hours, and then plugged it in. After a few tries, DATA! I grabbed my files as fast my mouse could handle, 10 minutes later I had everything I needed.

I never though I would be so happy to hear random NPCs talk about my mom.

Finished it again.

Talk about this character being an insanely OP, Elf-raven armoured igni tossing mofo.

I also had G'valchir and Aerondight as my blades. If any of that transfers over i'll fucking lol.

papercut

I somehow missed this game when it came out, and want to play it before getting into the sequel. I'd rather not make every enemy encounter a challenge, and am usually perfectly happy to click my way through without having to tactically use every item in my stash (outside of a boss fight or tough enemy here and there).

With that in mind, would it be worthwhile for me to install the FCR mod? I've read that the game doesn't need to be harder with the mod, but I have no idea as I've never played it. Thanks.

Anyone know of a problem that causes light sources to shine through solid objects (walls)? The Witcher website is down, and I've found some solutions but haven't had any luck yet. I do have Nvidia 560Ti's in SLI.

It's really distracting.

Minsc

Gold Member
goldsoundz said:
Anyone know of a problem that causes light sources to shine through solid objects (walls)? The Witcher website is down, and I've found some solutions but haven't had any luck yet. I do have Nvidia 560Ti's in SLI.

It's really distracting.

I've read it's due to the SLI, disable it for the game, as it doesn't benefit much.

seeds19

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
I need a bit of help, my hdd is dead, and i lost the savegame of mi playtrought (chapter 2 final), i search the internets to find a savegame in the final of chapter 2 or in the begin of chapter 3, but only find a completed game savegames (in preparation for the witcher 2 and i want to finish miself the game), anyone can help me?, i don't want to restart the game again i put 11 hours to arrive to the final of chapter 2 and repeat all the quests etc is a bit annoying, i don't care about stats sidequest etc...

Thanks in advance.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Those big ass plants that pop out of the ground never get any easier, do they?

Anyways, another few hours more into Chapter 2. Everything is proceeding fairly swimmingly.

epmode

seeds19 said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
I need a bit of help, my hdd is dead, and i lost the savegame of mi playtrought (chapter 2 final), i search the internets to find a savegame in the final of chapter 2 or in the begin of chapter 3, but only find a completed game savegames (in preparation for the witcher 2 and i want to finish miself the game), anyone can help me?, i don't want to restart the game again i put 11 hours to arrive to the final of chapter 2 and repeat all the quests etc is a bit annoying, i don't care about stats sidequest etc...
I just checked and I seem to have a normal difficulty save right at the end of chapter 2. I'm pretty sure I was going down a neutral path and you'll have to do the boss fight before starting chapter 3. It's pretty easy.

You should have a PM with the link.

Exuro

Doing a second playthrough, not sure what I need to do.

I'm in chapter 3 and went through the salamandra hideout. I talked to Jethro who was in the sewers who told me to go kill the Druglord and I'm over at the gate where he's at but I need a key. I have no idea where I'm suppose to get this key. I just finished the quest Following the Thread.

Nevermind, went to the wrong gate >_>

seeds19

Banned
epmode said:
I just checked and I seem to have a normal difficulty save right at the end of chapter 2. I'm pretty sure I was going down a neutral path and you'll have to do the boss fight before starting chapter 3. It's pretty easy.

You should have a PM with the link.

Thanks! downloading now, you're saved mi life.

Aurarian

Does anyone have suggestions on what mods to get? I just started this game an hour ago. Another question I have is are there any good builds out there or does it not matter what I put my points into?

shintoki said:
Those big ass plants that pop out of the ground never get any easier, do they?

Anyways, another few hours more into Chapter 2. Everything is proceeding fairly swimmingly.
They're tricky but I think I've got the hang of it now:

- use thunderbolt
- use igni especially if you have the extra damage on incinerated enemies
- use quen to get up close
- if you're getting hurt badly hit and run, using quen to get out of their range

I'm playing on hard and that's worked well for the boss plants I've encountered so far.

Van Buren

Aurarian said:
Does anyone have suggestions on what mods to get? I just started this game an hour ago. Another question I have is are there any good builds out there or does it not matter what I put my points into?

At the very least, I'd recommend the mods that allow up to 999 items to be stacked in a single inventory slot instead of the 50 item limit. There's also a mod that allows Geralt to meditate anywhere and access the storage at any time. Highly recommended if you are a packrat.

Regarding the FCR mod, I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough. It changes the rules of the combat system in such a way that dice-rolls become much more important. Fights between Geralt and human opponents are generally decided in a couple of hits either way to mimic the books. Monsters can be quite brutal to fight, depending on the difficulty.

For builds, Igni+Intelligence+Endurance can be quite powerful if you take the vitality upgrades from the Strength tree. Otherwise, max out Strength+Sword Styles+Dexterity. Also make sure to take the talents that minimize bleed and poison damage.

Varna

Aurarian said:

Never really found any mods worth using.

Aurarian said:

There's quite a lot of good advice on the last few pages of the thread :)

WEGGLES

I've buggered up majorly in Chapter 2.

Stuff didn't make sense so I looked it up on the wiki.

Turns out a few hours back I fucked up on the autopsy and accused the alchemist which is wrong... but that was way back. This means I can't get into the mages tower and will continue to help "Raymond", and he wants me to kill someone who is innocent (and hard to kill). It's the only thing I really can do to progress. Would it be worth losing a few hours to unfuck this up? Or just roll with it?

woober

WEGGLES said:

Turns out a few hours back I fucked up on the autopsy and accused the alchemist which is wrong... but that was way back. This means I can't get into the mages tower and will continue to help "Raymond", and he wants me to kill someone who is innocent (and hard to kill). It's the only thing I really can do to progress. Would it be worth losing a few hours to unfuck this up? Or just roll with it?

I remember doing something similar in my first play through.
I killed Ramsmeat.
I didn't even know about it and completed the game. As far as I know, the consequences of your choice only affects chapter 2 and no more.

WEGGLES said:

Get access to the graveyard and search the crypt.

WEGGLES said:

That's kind of the whole point of the game... actions and consequences.
There is no 'fuck up' or wrong way to play, just roll with it.

WEGGLES

Jay Shadow said:
Get access to the graveyard and search the crypt.
I'lll give that a shot

SneakyStephan said:
That's kind of the whole point of the game... actions and consequences.
There is no 'fuck up' or wrong way to play, just roll with it.

I guess, I just don't like doing something I know is 100% wrong. I know he's innocent. :s

Edit: I mean, that's why it's been hours since and it's only "noticed" now. Had I not been asked to kill an innocent man...

WEGGLES said:
I'lll give that a shot

I guess, I just don't like doing something I know is 100% wrong. I know he's innocent. :s

Edit: I mean, that's why it's been hours since and it's only "noticed" now. Had I not been asked to kill an innocent man...

Because you weren't thorough or you were careless, again, it's the whole point of the game :p
Gota get out of that bioware mindset.

to clarify: the results of your actions may be unfair or not what you wanted.

megalowho

Started playing this after getting excited about the sequel, picked it up during a Steam sale ages ago and I'm now kicking myself for not checking it out sooner. I keep comparing it to the Dragon Age series in my head, which it outclasses in nearly every regard. Wasn't planning on finishing it before starting the next game but it's got it's hooks in me, I just might be in this for the long haul.

WEGGLES

SneakyStephan said:
Because you weren't thorough or you were careless, again, it's the whole point of the game :p
Gota get out of that bioware mindset.
I don't care that I am wrong. What ever, I'll live with that. It's doing something I know is incorrect. Killing this person just to advance the plot, and only for that reason is what I don't like. (Also the fuckton of bodyguards...) Had I not known he's innocent before I kill him it wouldn't be an issue.

I was just seeing if it was worth going back and/or another course of action.

I'm not re-loading an old save now. I'll try what Jay said.

WEGGLES said:
I don't care that I am wrong. What ever, I'll live with that. It's doing something I know is incorrect.
Unless I misread, you only know that it's incorrect because you looked on a Wiki right? That would make changing your course of action artificial, that's what I would see as 'incorrect'.

I don't say that to preach. I say it because there are several decisions in this game I regret making, but the guilt and soul-searching that arose from them made the story infinitely richer for me and have cemented this as one of my favourite RPGs ever.

Most games don't offer anything like that, so just going with the flow might have the bigger payoff for you?

Ultrabum

Ok, so I have been playing the Witcher for the first time, and I am loving the game so far. However, I have a huge problem: screen tearing. Its awful. Every cut scene where the camera moves around fast ( like in a chase) I can barely tell whats going on.

I have a pretty good computer, 2500K and ATI 6850 graphics card. I also have triple buffering and Vsync enabled in the catalyst control center. I guess my question is, how do I know if the settings in CCC are being applied to the game?

Heres a picture of the CCC settings ><

Anyone with a 6850 have a similar problem and solution, or is there a more global solution?

Thanks for any help!!!! I really want to enjoy this game!

Minsc

Gold Member
Ultrabum said:
I have a pretty good computer, 2500K and ATI 6850 graphics card. I also have triple buffering and Vsync enabled in the catalyst control center. I guess my question is, how do I know if the settings in CCC are being applied to the game?

You need to use D3DOverrider from Rivatuner (it works with nearly every game), to eliminate tearing. Neither ATi nor nVidia have it working as well from the official built-in settings.

Ultrabum

Minsc said:
You need to use D3DOverrider from Rivatuner (it works with nearly every game), to eliminate tearing. Neither ATi nor nVidia have it working as well from the official built-in settings.

Damn, I was hoping to fix it without installing anything like that :(. Ok I'll do it and see if it fixes the problem.

epmode

Ultrabum said:
Damn, I was hoping to fix it without installing anything like that :(. Ok I'll do it and see if it fixes the problem.
D3DOverrider has become one of those apps that every gamer needs to have. So incredibly useful.

Slo

WEGGLES said:
I don't care that I am wrong. What ever, I'll live with that. It's doing something I know is incorrect. Killing this person just to advance the plot, and only for that reason is what I don't like. (Also the fuckton of bodyguards...) Had I not known he's innocent before I kill him it wouldn't be an issue.

I was just seeing if it was worth going back and/or another course of action.

I'm not re-loading an old save now. I'll try what Jay said.

I think we've got a future Order member on our hands, guys! Choir boy! Goodie-two-shoes!

*kicks sand*

Kyaw

Does D3Doverrider lock the framerate by any means? Because when i was playing HL2 with it on i was getting locked 60fps but without it, i was getting 100+.

Luthos

Pankaks said:
Spam Aard and pray it connects =/.

It's probably the worst boss fight in the game.
This. That fight sucks. One of the few boss fights across any game that I couldn't beat without doing the "cheap" method.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kyaw said:
Does D3Doverrider lock the framerate by any means? Because when i was playing HL2 with it on i was getting locked 60fps but without it, i was getting 100+.

Yea, your monitor is likely incapable of displaying over 60 (unless you have one of those new 120Hz 3D monitors), so it locks it to 60. It's obviously something you'd turn off for benching.

Ultrabum said:

It's pretty essential for a gamer, uses less than 1MB of ram too. You'll end up loving it if you hate tearing. You can add instances for it to be off if it ever conflicts with anything, but otherwise most people just run it all the time on auto.

Kyaw

Minsc said:
Yea, your monitor is likely incapable of displaying over 60 (unless you have one of those new 120Hz 3D monitors), so it locks it to 60. It's obviously something you'd turn off for benching.

But i've got over 200fps on Minecraft though! ><

Ultrabum

Ok well D3D definitly enabled vsync because my gpu activity went from 100% all the time to 50% But there is still a HUGE problem on people's faces when I talk to them. It looks like there's maybe 5 or 6 horizontal lines right across their eyes... Its just screen tearing right there.

Anyone got any ideas lol?

Edit: turns out the face thing only happens when lighting is set to high... If I set it to low it goes away. Odd.

just beat it. holy shit at ending. now I'm kinda glad I hold on to beating this game until now, just days before Witcher 2. I never knew Witcher 1 ends with a teaser like that. I can't imagine if I beat it years ago when I bought it. the wait would've killed me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jim-jam bongs said:
- use igni especially if you have the extra damage on incinerated enemies
This worked out good, and I realized the one giving me trouble was the boss one(Which explains everything). I fought a few of the normal ones right after and they couldn't even last a full combo with this trick.

Another hour or so and still in chapter 2. It's tough trying to play your cards right, and attempting to please each person.

Bisnic

I'm trying to patch the game to 1.5, but the patcher keeps saying it cannot identify my version. =/

I didn't downloaded it from the official site, because their only mirror link is down. Still, i took the patch for the Enhanced version, so i should be fine...

mileS

Ultrabum said:
Ok well D3D definitly enabled vsync because my gpu activity went from 100% all the time to 50% But there is still a HUGE problem on people's faces when I talk to them. It looks like there's maybe 5 or 6 horizontal lines right across their eyes... Its just screen tearing right there.

Anyone got any ideas lol?

Edit: turns out the face thing only happens when lighting is set to high... If I set it to low it goes away. Odd.

what res you running? had the same problem with my 16:10, 1440x900 monitor. Now that I switched to my 1080p 16:9 monitor its fine.

they didn't bother going back and fixing it so instead of turning the lighting to low maybe you should try changing your res like Minsc mentioned earlier in this thread. Hope this helps

Chapter 2 is so boring... I must admit, I despise the long load times in this game...almost ruins it for me.

I don't think I would have continued with this one if the sequel didnt have me so damn hyped

Donos

WEGGLES said:

did the same and also couldn't get into the crypt anymore because i fucked up with thaler. had to kill
ramsmeat, which was not so difficult with groupstyle and aard
and then you can move to the chapter finale at the tower. I played more hours in Chapter II than whole playthroughs of other rpgs

WEGGLES

Oblong Schlong said:
Unless I misread, you only know that it's incorrect because you looked on a Wiki right? That would make changing your course of action artificial, that's what I would see as 'incorrect'.

I don't say that to preach. I say it because there are several decisions in this game I regret making, but the guilt and soul-searching that arose from them made the story infinitely richer for me and have cemented this as one of my favourite RPGs ever.

Most games don't offer anything like that, so just going with the flow might have the bigger payoff for you?

I only know I did the wrong thing in

accusing the alchemist/fucking up the autopsy from checking the wiki. I only checked the wiki because I was told to kill Ramsmeat who I knew was innocent, and had told was innocent and got a little bit of info from him. So then, to be told by an increasingly suspicious Maarlowe to kill this innocent person raised an eyebrow or two so I checked out that questline and saw I had fucked up the autopsy and who I accused based on the autopsy. My hangup with killing ramsmeat is that I'm only doing so to push the plot forward, not because I want to or think I should. I know I don't need to and shouldn't (at least at this point in time, based on what I know). It doesn't make sense from my characters perspective to kill an innocent man based on the word of someone highly suspect, but it seemed like that's all I could do. That's why I asked if it was worth going back a few hours to the autopsy and doing it over or if there was something else I could do.

Hope that clarifies. :)

Slo said:
I think we've got a future Order member on our hands, guys! Choir boy! Goodie-two-shoes!

*kicks sand*

I killed their scouts in the marsh with a scrappy band of squirrels by my side

Ultrabum

mileS said:
what res you running? had the same problem with my 16:10, 1440x900 monitor. Now that I switched to my 1080p 16:9 monitor its fine.

they didn't bother going back and fixing it so instead of turning the lighting to low maybe you should try changing your res like Minsc mentioned earlier in this thread. Hope this helps

I'm running 1440 x 900 :( sad.

Bisnic

Is there any trick to the dice poker game? I keep losing, and i don't understand why i can only roll once, when my opponent can do it twice, i really have to ge extremely lucky with my first roll to win anything. =/

Also, on chapter 2, for some reason i can't even buy and sell stuff from the Order merchants. I don't understand since i was able to do it when i first talked to them, but now, for some reason, i'm no longer considered a friend of the Order. What's up with that? I didn't do anything to piss them off!

Top Bottom