• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Kyaw

Bisnic said:
Is there any trick to the dice poker game? I keep losing, and i don't understand why i can only roll once, when my opponent can do it twice, i really have to ge extremely lucky with my first roll to win anything. =/

Also, on chapter 2, for some reason i can't even buy and sell stuff from the Order merchants. I don't understand since i was able to do it when i first talked to them, but now, for some reason, i'm no longer considered a friend of the Order. What's up with that? I didn't do anything to piss them off!

Also, Ramsmeat never seems to be at his house...and i need to talk to him.

You should be able to roll again. o_O
You gotta choose which dice you want to roll after the initial one.

Its pretty easy. You just need luck and very small amount of thinking.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ultrabum said:
Ok well D3D definitly enabled vsync because my gpu activity went from 100% all the time to 50% But there is still a HUGE problem on people's faces when I talk to them. It looks like there's maybe 5 or 6 horizontal lines right across their eyes... Its just screen tearing right there.

Anyone got any ideas lol?

Edit: turns out the face thing only happens when lighting is set to high... If I set it to low it goes away. Odd.

If you prefer the lighting on high (I know I did), you can also fix the problem by running the game letterboxed, in a 16:9 resolution - I was able to run 1920x1080 perfectly with 1:1 pixel mapping on my 1920x1200 display, with all settings maxed.

Edit: oops, didn't see this was already addressed.

Ultrabum said:
I'm running 1440 x 900 :( sad.

Run a real HDTV resolution 1280x720! :)

Damn scaling on a LCD display though :(

Jay Shadow said:
This reminds me. I hope in Witcher 2 they cap the frame rate so the dice game doesn't try to fry modern video cards again.

Really? That's the first I heard of that, heh. Another victory for the people using D3DOverrider though (caps framerate to 60).

gdt

Question:

I bought this off GOG, and my new laptop will be here tomorrow.

Could I download the game to my external HDD tonight, then just move it to my new laptop tomorrow? I want to start pc gaming asap.

gdt5016 said:
Question:

I bought this off GOG, and my new laptop will be here tomorrow.

Could I download the game to my external HDD tonight, then just move it to my new laptop tomorrow? I want to start pc gaming asap.

Yeah, that will work.

Minsc said:
Really? That's the first I heard of that, heh. Another victory for the people using D3DOverrider though (caps framerate to 60).
Yeah, my last play through was the first one with my current video card, which is still only a 260. In dice the fan goes into overdrive and gets extremely loud and the temperature shoots up to hotter than Crysis. A few other games have that issue too, where the scene is so simple that it actually starts rendering it too quickly. Alien Swarm's menus had that problem, and I first learned about it was when Starcraft 2 had that issue on release.

RedSwirl

Okay hold up. I'm still in chapter III and I think I may have started down the Order path.

In the bank hostage quest I told that elf dude I was gonna try to stay neutral, and then told him I wasn't gonna kill a bunch of human for him. That's when I was forced to join Siegfried in taking out the rest of the Elves and Gnomes. Now Geralt is telling Triss he's decided to help the order.

Is there any way to get back on the Witcher/Neutral path?

Also is there any more reason to keep picking up Salamander brooches after talking to that Merchang guy?

RedSwirl said:
Is the one choice in Chapter 4 the only one that matters?
Yeah, chapter 3 narrows it down then chapter 4 is the final decision. Dandelion will make it very obvious when it's the final choice.

BigAT

I just picked this up from the GOG sale. Are there any recommended mods/tweaks I should install before I start playing?

No45

I'm playing this through for the first time (I guess I'm not alone), and really enjoying it. Took a while to get used to the very claustrophobic OTS view (tricky in group combat) and the combat in general, but I'm really starting to get to grips with the combat.

Now I need to work on Alchemy a little more. Should I be experimenting randomly to discover new things? I tried it once and just gifted myself a few seconds of pain. :(

I'm through chapter I. Not looking at any guides or anything for choices (although I'm doing a little research on the talents), I'm just going to play this as I would any other game. So, in essence, choose the option that's most likely to get Geralt laid. :p

RedSwirl

Also, why does it take like 10 minutes for the save data menu to load up? I tried deleting like half of the saves I had in there but it didn't speed things up at all.

WEGGLES

Just got to chapter 3. They're really beating me over the head with picking a side.

Before stuff seemed a bit transparent... :S

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't understand how they tried to balance the monsters in this game...

Here i am beating some drowners in the swamp of chapter 2, barely taking a hit, then some stupid giant plant come out of nowhere from underground and "omgwtfjusthappened" kill me in a matter of seconds...

Also, game crashed like 2 or 3 times since i started.. =/

Van Buren

Bisnic said:

Here i am beating some drowners in the swamp of chapter 2, barely taking a hit, then some stupid giant plant come out of nowhere from underground and "omgwtfjusthappened" kill me in a matter of seconds...

That's basically a rite of passage for everyone who is playing Witcher for the first time. It's a trophy boss as well, so expect lots of deaths if you try to take it head-on at low levels.

Those Archespores are rooted, so use Igni, run away, and watch as they harmlessly die.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bisnic said:

Also, game crashed like 2 or 3 times since i started.. =/
That plant is the Trophy one and the same happened to me. He's far stronger than anything else I've come by so far.

RedSwirl

Although I'm going as neutral as I can, whenever forced to choose I've been going with the Order just because I like Siegfried more than Yaevin. Siegfried's been a total bro so far.

RedSwirl said:
Although I'm going as neutral as I can, whenever forced to choose I've been going with the Order just because I like Siegfried more than Yaevin. Siegfried's been a total bro so far.

He's also a total wuss

No45

RedSwirl said:
Also, why does it take like 10 minutes for the save data menu to load up? I tried deleting like half of the saves I had in there but it didn't speed things up at all.
Loads instantly for me. I think I have around 15-20 saves in there.

Bisnic said:
Is there any trick to the dice poker game? I keep losing, and i don't understand why i can only roll once, when my opponent can do it twice, i really have to ge extremely lucky with my first roll to win anything. =/

After your opponent's first roll, when it goes back to your dice you click on the ones you want to roll again.

syoaran

For those of you who are having trouble in the early-mid game, learn to charge up igni (hold right click with igni selected), hit them with as powerful blast as you can and then kite them. Hopefully you have enough talent points at this rate to have incineration (and then later, fear/pain). Utterly destroys most encounters/bosses in the game.

RedSwirl said:

Each save is about 28 MB large (and gets bigger as you go along).
Remove all but 10-20 saves from your save folder and it'll go back to being instant.

It was taking 20 seconds for me to see my savegames ingame when pressing save, so I checked my save folder and it was 5GB in size.

Make sure to update to patch 1.5 too, improves stability, fixes a lot of crashes and some bugs.
My framerate is much less choppy it seems since I patched it, before I was getting 40-80 fps according to fraps but it didn't feel very smooth (microstutter) , but it feels a lot smoother after patching.
Maybe placebo effect, but I doubt it because I wasn't even checking for a performance change.

Few dice tips:
If you don't roll anything at all, leave your highest dice on the board and reroll the rest, (instead of rerolling them all), to increase your chances of at least getting a high pair.

If you both get two pairs on the first roll and your opponent has the higher one, you should obviously reroll 3 of your dice (giving up a pair) in the hopes of getting 3 of a kind.

Don't forget about the straight : with a terrible first roll (e.g you roll 2 2 3 4 6 and the other guy rolls 3 of a kind or two pairs with high pair 6) you may still win because you have a 1/6 chance to make a comeback by rolling one of your dice (a 2 in this case) for a straight attempt. (i.e 1 2 3 4 5 or 2 3 4 5 6)

Always bet the maximum as you can abuse quick saving before games.

Going outside the inn then back inside resets the other player's money, so you can play him again right away for unlimited money.

Bisnic

Speaking of patch 1.5, any of you have a good link to download it?

Last time i tried to get the patch 1.5, it couldn't even identify my version of Witcher... and i bought it from GOG, its not some hacked version.

I tried getting it from the official website, but their link is down.

Van Buren

Bisnic said:
Speaking of patch 1.5, any of you have a good link to download it?

Last time i tried to get the patch 1.5, it couldn't even identify my version of Witcher... and i bought it from GOG, its not some hacked version.

I didn't buy Witcher 1 from GOG, but GOG usually updates their games to the latest patch, so it's just install and play.

Bisnic

Van Buren said:
I didn't buy Witcher 1 from GOG, but GOG usually updates their games to the latest patch, so it's just install and play.

But when i play the game in windows mode, it says "Witcher 1.4.0...." on top of the screen.

RedSwirl

SneakyStephan said:
Each save is about 28 MB large (and gets bigger as you go along).
Remove all but 10-20 saves from your save folder and it'll go back to being instant.

It was taking 20 seconds for me to see my savegames ingame when pressing save, so I checked my save folder and it was 5GB in size.

Make sure to update to patch 1.5 too, improves stability, fixes a lot of crashes and some bugs.
My framerate is much less choppy it seems since I patched it, before I was getting 40-80 fps according to fraps but it didn't feel very smooth (microstutter) , but it feels a lot smoother after patching.
Maybe placebo effect, but I doubt it because I wasn't even checking for a performance change.

I have the Steam version of TW1 so it auto-updates right?

Van Buren

Bisnic said:
But when i play the game in windows mode, it says "Witcher 1.4.0...." on top of the screen.

After a bit of digging around, it seems that the GOG edition is already completely patched as suspected. No idea about that 1.4.0 though.

RedSwirl said:
I have the Steam version of TW1 so it auto-updates right?
Witcher 1 retail required one to register the game in order to get the auto-updates from the game launcher. The Steam version might be similar, unless someone is willing to clarify otherwise.

RedSwirl

Is it me or does this game have the coolest-looking launcher menu of any PC game?

ae76dv.jpg

Also, overall, I actually don't really know why I like this game or why I keep playing it. I mean all its elements are pretty strong except the engine it's built on, but nothing really stands out for me. The way the plotline flows is great but that's not quite it.

I think the reason is just because The Witcher feels a lot more playable than most of today's games. It kinda feels like the way RPGs used to be made (even JRPGs) - there's very little that gets in the way of me just playing the game and enjoying it for myself.

EDIT: I've also confirmed that the Steam version of Enhanced Edition is in fact 1.5 (still crashes quite a bit though).

WEGGLES

RedSwirl said:
Is it me or does this game have the coolest-looking launcher menu of any PC game?

Also, overall, I actually don't really know why I like this game or why I keep playing it. I mean all its elements are pretty strong except the engine it's built on, but nothing really stands out for me. The way the plotline flows is great but that's not quite it.

I think the reason is just because The Witcher feels a lot more playable than most of today's games. It kinda feels like the way RPGs used to be made (even JRPGs) - there's very little that gets in the way of me just playing the game and enjoying it for myself.

I find this game very easy to lose an hour or two in with little or no problem. It's been a while since I've played a game that I play in big chunks at a time. Usually I take little breaks here or there while playing.

I've been playing it in long chunks this past week, it is very compelling. I actually started on Easy because I assumed that would be the best way to get through quickly to just experience the story, but restarted on Hard because I was really enjoying Alchemy and without challenging combat encounters it's basically just a continuous fetch-quest with 10 minutes of jogging between objectives. An extremely well-written fetch-quest, yes, but still not really very interesting.

The combat is basically the best ARPG combat system I've played for a really long time. I've always thought that RPG difficulty should be entirely related to how much you engage with the mechanics at your disposal; that is, a hard encounter should be able to be made substantially easier by utilising all the tricks the game gives you. The way that Alchemy is implemented is just perfect because almost every challenge has a hard-counter in Alchemy, but the toxin system means that you need to always be balancing between making encounters easier and killing yourself. Nothing like popping a White Rafard's and only getting half the effect because you're so full of poison.

Oh and a couple of little tips for anyone who hasn't made it to Chapter 5 yet:

- Stock up on alcohol because there aren't many places to buy it. The Druids in the swamp cemetery have a good supply, as does Kalkstein, but that's all.
- Make sure that you spend a couple of silver talent points on bleed and blind resistance, and keep some Willow handy.

I was at the Chapter 5 fight with
Azar, and I had to go back a lot of saves to go down 2 levels so I could get the necessary talents. I barely survived the fight against his giant enemy crab with all the bleeding and blinding. Being down to my last Swallow made it even worse. I've made it back to there now with a bag filled with potions, and some helpful resistances to boot.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Completed chapter 2, about 17 hours in now. Took about 10-12 hours to get through it. Only quest I couldn't figure out was the Lost boy and Cultist in the sewer.

Narag

Well marathoned the game over this weekend and I can safely say it's the best RPG I've ever played. Can't wait for the sequel.

RedSwirl

I'm sorry but are there known issues with this game on Vista 32bit? I'm running the latest version and it's still crashing every hour or so.

Narag

RedSwirl said:
I'm sorry but are there known issues with this game on Vista 32bit? I'm running the latest version and it's still crashing every hour or so.

Yes, plenty from all I've seen.

Here's a cut and paste from the googlecache of their currently down forums.

Q: Game crashing or other issues on systems running Windows Vista/7

Tip0: Be sure to install the game as Administrator: right click on SETUP.EXE from the DVD and choose Run as Administrator, also do the same for TWEE_upgrade.exe and for TheWitcherPatch.1.5.exe too
Tip1: Be sure your Windows Vista/7 is up to date: "The Witcher may exhaust virtual address space when running on 32-bit Windows Vista. Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this problem. Please download the hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 . If you have patched your installation of Vista to SP1 or have Windows 7, then you already have this hotfix. KB940105 is already included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en " ( 64-bit Vista and all Windows 7 versions do not have this problem )
Tip2: On nVidia hardware and VIsta Ultimate be sure to uninstall the DreamScene application as the it conflicts with the video driver ( read the Release Notes of the video driver )
Tip3: Get TweakUAC and set UAC to QUIET, not Disabled ( do run the application again if you want to restore you previous UAC mode )
Tip4: Set the game to run in Compatibility Mode: right-click on witcher.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> Windows XP SP2 , also check the 640x480 mode, and the disable decorations, then press Apply and OK
Tip5: Run the game as Admin: right click on witcher.exe and RUN AS Administrator
Tip6: If running the game from an external USB drive be sure to set up the currently used Power Settings Profile so that USB devices are NEVER put to sleep/suspend ( the Performance profile is recommended when gaming anyway)

I had some success at alleviating crashes by increasing addressable space.

http://alfred.co.in/how-to/witcher-vista-crash-fix-how-to/

Van Buren

shintoki said:
Completed chapter 2, about 17 hours in now. Took about 10-12 hours to get through it. Only quest I couldn't figure out was the Lost boy and Cultist in the sewer.

The cultist is a non-quest, and more of a lair of enemies that can be killed. Nothing more to that as far as I can remember. The lost boy is one of those quests that span multiple chapters.

jim-jam bongs said:
The combat is basically the best ARPG combat system I've played for a really long time. I've always thought that RPG difficulty should be entirely related to how much you engage with the mechanics at your disposal; that is, a hard encounter should be able to be made substantially easier by utilising all the tricks the game gives you. The way that Alchemy is implemented is just perfect because almost every challenge has a hard-counter in Alchemy, but the toxin system means that you need to always be balancing between making encounters easier and killing yourself. Nothing like popping a White Rafard's and only getting half the effect because you're so full of poison.

Unfortunately, there were too many complaints with regards to the eccentric combat - a lot of them from people who didn't give the combat system a chance to grow on them. It wasn't perfect - Geralt would sometimes fail to attack/cast signs, and casting signs interrupted the combo - but I still liked it over the other traditional combat systems used in RPGs like Risen, Gothic, etc. I would have greatly loved to see them improve upon the combat system by adding more depth to the mechanics, since I liked the fact that after I began a combo chain, I could start planning my future moves in advance waiting for the combo animation to finish. Moreover, the combat animations for the level 4 moves in the combo sequences were quite spectacular - they accurately captured the description of Geralt's moves as 'dance-like', which is rarely seen in other games.

RedSwirl said:
I ran into constant crashes every 15 minutes while playing the original release on Vista 32. I had no trouble with W7 64 bit and the enhanced edition. Have you tried deleting your old save files ? That might help.

Bisnic

I'm thinking i screwed up somewhere with my investigation with the detective in chapter 2... somehow i ended up with the alchemist being one of my main suspect, yet i need this guy to stay cool with me for the quests surrounding the tower right? Should i just ignore the investigation quest chain until i'm done with the tower?

Van Buren said:
Unfortunately, there were too many complaints with regards to the eccentric combat - a lot of them from people who didn't give the combat system a chance to grow on them. It wasn't perfect - Geralt would sometimes fail to attack/cast signs, and casting signs interrupted the combo - but I still liked it over the other traditional combat systems used in RPGs like Risen, Gothic, etc. I would have greatly loved to see them improve upon the combat system by adding more depth to the mechanics, since I liked the fact that after I began a combo chain, I could start planning my future moves in advance waiting for the combo animation to finish. Moreover, the combat animations for the level 4 moves in the combo sequences were quite spectacular - they accurately captured the description of Geralt's moves as 'dance-like', which is rarely seen in other games.

I can understand a lot of the complaints. I must admit that when I first started playing it I kept looking around for a block button until I realised that Geralt doesn't need any man to tell him when to parry; he just knows. Once you get into it though it's just amazing and quite unique. Very much about rhythm and movement rather than button-mashing.

There are definitely a few things I'd change, like allowing you to slip signs/bombs in between combo moves as you alluded above, but overall I find that it works really well. I just can't get over how well the stats, talents and alchemy mechanics are woven into the combat. When you take a potion like Wolf or Wolverine which boosts your attack/crit stats, you can actually see the difference immediately, but the toxins guarantee that if you try to break encounters you're more likely to just die from poisoning. It's such a great way of making crafting extremely viable without overpowering it.

Totally agree about the fluidity and dancing of the whole thing, it's really spectacular to watch him wading through a crowd of Drowners using the group-style. Also, my build is heavy int/stam and emphasis on using Ard for crowd-control, so I get to see the execution animations a lot. I don't get into ultra-violence in games but the stark brutality of Geralt's combat is stunning to behold. Everything about it just feels dirty and visceral in spite of the balletic grace Geralt brings to his swordsmanship.

Also, this may be a little controversial but... does anyone else think that Dragon Age: Origins borrows pretty heavily from The Witcher? Spoilers for both games below:

The story is about a group called Grey Wardens/Witchers; they are monster slayers who have an initiation rite which kills most of the people who do it, and which strengthens them physically. They are feared and reviled by the general populace, but reluctantly called upon to solve problems too big for regular people.

The main story arc is about personal vengeance interwoven with the dynamic and racially charged politics of the human capital. It begins at the home of the main character which they are forced to leave because of a major event, and the final chapter takes place in the capital as it burns down around them.

There are a lot of other little examples too. It's kind of funny because The Witcher is actually the game which I was expecting DA:O to be and it came out 2 years earlier!

Van Buren

Bisnic said:
I'm thinking i screwed up somewhere with my investigation with the detective in chapter 2... somehow i ended up with the alchemist being one of my main suspect, yet i need this guy to stay cool with me for the quests surrounding the tower right? Should i just ignore the investigation quest chain until i'm done with the tower?

Keep playing. Without spoiling anything, one of the sidequests could give you insight into the whole situation. Or, you can just skip the sidequest and see what happens by just doing the main quest.

jim-jam bongs said:
Also, this may be a little controversial but... does anyone else think that Dragon Age: Origins borrows pretty heavily from The Witcher? Spoilers for both games below:

Funny you mention that, since in one of the 'hype' interviews leading up to DA:O's release, the Bioware rep stated that GRRM and Witcher were influences. They wanted to create ambiguous moral situations where choices are not black and white. Apart from the similarities to the organization of Witchers, there is also the political struggle between the two central factions in the DA games.

The end result of all this was the glorious, completely logical and non facepalm-inducing way DA2 handled the Templar/Mage conflict.

Van Buren said:
Funny you mention that, since in one of the 'hype' interviews leading up to DA:O's release, the Bioware rep stated that GRRM and Witcher were influences. They wanted to create ambiguous moral situations where choices are not black and white.

Wow, well at least they gave credit where it was due. It's funny to me because they seem to have completely missed the fact that every moral choice in The Witcher is essentially a losing option, whereas Bioware can't resist putting a "correct" option in for most choices. Basically shit is all fucked up regardless, you just choose which side of the equation to balance. Either way, good people are going to die and bad people are going to prosper; there is no "save the world" condition.

Van Buren said:
The end result of all this was the glorious, completely logical and non facepalm-inducing way DA2 handled the Templar/Mage conflict.

Hah, I'll take your word for it. I spent about 150 hours playing DA:O and DA:A and had zero interest in the sequel, although I may pick it up on Steam for a fiver if the opportunity comes up.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Narag said:
Well marathoned the game over this weekend and I can safely say it's the best RPG I've ever played. Can't wait for the sequel.

I'm in the process of this myself. Started Friday night and now I'm on the last chapter. Such a great game.

Jenga

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Hah, I'll take your word for it. I spent about 150 hours playing DA:O and DA:A and had zero interest in the sequel, although I may pick it up on Steam for a fiver if the opportunity comes up.
he was joking

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:
It's funny to me because they seem to have completely missed the fact that every moral choice in The Witcher is essentially a losing option, whereas Bioware can't resist putting a "correct" option in for most choices. Basically shit is all fucked up regardless, you just choose which side of the equation to balance. Either way, good people are going to die and bad people are going to prosper; there is no "save the world" condition.

Come to think about, they tried to do something similar in DA2. Without spoiling anything, every CRPG fan ought to experience how they attempted to do what you state in ACT 3. Their execution is one of the reasons why the game is so revered in RPG circles.

Joking aside, it gave me a whole new perspective on the phrase, 'how bad can it be?', and made me appreciate gems like AP and Witcher more.

markot

Banned
Hey, is there a way to switch the difficulty for the game once started?

After 5 minutes of TW2 I feel lose already so I want to kinda breeze through this game if I can. And I die too much >_< I suck...

Oh, and I found with poker that if you get a decent first roll, do the highest bet you can and they often pass and you win!

No45

Are you playing on hard? I started on normal and the only trouble I've had so far is with the
Beast
at the end of Chapter I.

Looks like you'll need this to change it on the fly.

gdt

Downloaded the game from GOG (the gog downloader), and installed it. Installed fine, but this comes up when I wanna launch it.

"The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Odd. This is the second time this happened. Last time I uninstalled, deleted everything, and downloaded the whole thing again.

Edit: Okay, something to do with DX9, updating now. I have a 6770m, btw. This better be it dammit.

Top Bottom