• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The point & click mode is only good for moving your character while your other hand is busy holding something else(keep your dirty thoughts for yourself GAF), since there isn't an auto-run button for the over the shoulder mode.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bisnic said:
The point & click mode is only good for moving your character while your other hand is busy holding something else(keep your dirty thoughts for yourself GAF), since there isn't an auto-run button for the over the shoulder mode.

Heh I forgot the game even had another camera option beyond OTS.

Binabik15

Bisnic said:

Cat: Cuddle me! I´m not sitting on your lap and purring like crazy just for fun! Pet me! -> switch to point n click.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Binabik15 said:
Cat: Cuddle me! I´m not sitting on your lap and purring like crazy just for fun! Pet me! -> switch to point n click.

Ha, i was more thinking about drinking or eating something, or talking to the phone... but yeah, a cat works too!

Helmholtz

Just finished Chapter 4. In terms of quests/story, I thought it was kind of weak, at least until the end. I mean,
a large part of it revolved around a stupid marriage that I didn't care about whatsoever. Felt more like side-quest material rather than primary. I was also disappointed by the Berengar character, he just kind of showed up and complained for a while. Not sure what I was expecting, but it was underwhelming.
. It still wasn't a bad chapter by any means, just not the best. I really liked the environments though, a nice change.
I'll be finishing chapter 5 tomorrow and then it's on to Witcher 2.

Van Buren

Helmholtz said:
Just finished Chapter 4. In terms of quests/story, I thought it was kind of weak, at least until the end. I mean,
a large part of it revolved around a stupid marriage that I didn't care about whatsoever. Felt more like side-quest material rather than primary. I was also disappointed by the Berengar character, he just kind of showed up and complained for a while. Not sure what I was expecting, but it was underwhelming.
. It still wasn't a bad chapter by any means, just not the best. I really liked the environments though, a nice change.

Chapter 4 has a lot of significance to the overall story. That's all I can say without spoiling anything.

Helmholtz said:

You may revisit your opinion of chapter 4 once you've finished the game.

Edit: VAN BUUUUUUUUUURRRREEEEEEEN

No45

I'm building up a healthy list of quests that I seemingly can't complete (Coleman has gone missing, "Con Artist" hasn't reappeared for me to turn in the quest item etc.) - I assume this is normal?

Also, the game confuses the hell out of me sometimes. It's been in my character and quest journal for several hours now, but only last night did Thaler actually tell me he's in
intelligence

No45 said:
I'm building up a healthy list of quests that I seemingly can't complete (Coleman has gone missing, "Con Artist" hasn't reappeared for me to turn in the quest item etc.) - I assume this is normal?

Also, the game confuses the hell out of me sometimes. It's been in my character and quest journal for several hours now, but only last night did Thaler actually tell me he's in
intelligence
Some NPCs have this really annoying habit of spawning for like 15 minutes a day and then vanishing. The con artist shows up at about 6am then legs it shortly afterwards, so if you haven't tried finding him then give it a shot.

Just started the other day, second pc game in about 8 years (played through the original Portal last week).

Combat took a while to click, but really enjoying the game now that it has :D

No45

Ah, if it's six that might make sense - I thought he said nine. :)

Loving the game, despite it's flaws. Don't want to think how poorly my setup might run the sequel at the moment though.

WEGGLES

Van Buren said:
Chapter 4 has a lot of significance to the overall story. That's all I can say without spoiling anything.
I've already beaten the game... perhaps I missed something. What was so significant?

WEGGLES said:
Right. What about the wedding? The quarrel between the Vodyani [sp?] and that stuff? Seemed rather irrelevant?

Yes and no. The choices which you make, and of course the things you say to him, shape Alvin into the man you see at the end of the game.

There are a bunch of other things in there which impact on the final parts as well, like what happened with the Berengar storyline, and Abigail too although the important choice with her happens in chapter 1.

It also served to flesh out Geralt as a character. The monologue he gives about solving human problems which formed part of the title of TW2 OT is from that chapter, and it's one of the most interesting insights into his view of the world which you get in the game, since everything else is down to your choices.

And (seriously) stay away from the poison boxes if you haven't finished the game :x

WEGGLES

jim-jam bongs said:
Yes and no. The choices which you make, and of course the things you say to him, shape Alvin into the man you see at the end of the game.

There are a bunch of other things in there which impact on the final parts as well, like what happened with the Berengar storyline.

And (seriously) stay away from the poison boxes if you haven't finished the game :x

So you're saying the dude at the end might not be evil? How much can things be changed via chapter 4

WEGGLES said:
So you're saying the dude at the end might not be evil? How much can things be changed via chapter 4

That's just the thing. You can't make him not evil, because he takes the things you taught him and warps them to fit his rather messed up world view. It's one of those typical Witcher kick-your-sense-of-morality-in-the-balls moments. Even if Geralt tries to be a good father to him he will become a monster, hence his last words.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
gdt5016 said:
Just hit Chapter IV, this place is gorgeous.

Probably my favorite chapter. Loved the serenity of it all.

The Epilogue probably has the most beautiful location of the game though, took so many screengrabs of that place.

Ok so I decided to jump into the Witcher hype, and just need a quick answer, I am going to start with Withcer 1 of course I just need to know where is the best place to buy this game online?
I guess it's GoG right? Why does the steam version costs 10$ more?

gdt

The Omega Man said:
Ok so I decided to jump into the Witcher hype, and just need a quick answer, I am going to start with Withcer 1 of course I just need to know where is the best place to buy this game online?
I guess it's GoG right? Why does the steam version costs 10$ more?

GOG. It was one sale for $5 two days ago lol.

Because the devs of The Witcher own GOG.

LiK

Van Buren said:
The background music in Chapter 4 is so tranquil - supplements the visuals.
I agree. Too bad the English dub for the NPCs are so goddamn atrocious that it ruins the mood. Can't wait to replay the game in Polish. Heard its better.

Van Buren

LiK said:
I agree. Too bad the English dub for the NPCs are so goddamn atrocious that it ruins the mood. Can't wait to replay the game in Polish. Heard its better.

You know what ? The dub seemed a lot better to me recently after having played with the original voices in 2007. The Polish voices sound better overall, but I associate Geralt with his English VA. It's just not a Witcher game without his deadpan response of "We'll see."

LiK

Van Buren said:
You know what ? The dub seemed a lot better to me recently after having played with the original voices in 2007. The Polish voices sound better overall, but I associate Geralt with his English VA. It's just not a Witcher game without his deadpan response of "We'll see."
Yea, Geralt's "I don't give a Fuck" voice/attitude is great.

Zomba13

Just finished this. Really enjoyed it. Time to get The Witcher 2 now.
Also (ending spoiler)
Who was that assassin? Was it supposed to be someone I should recognise from the game? It looked kinda like the Grandmaster with less of a beard.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Zomba13 said:
Just finished this. Really enjoyed it. Time to get The Witcher 2 now.
Also (ending spoiler)
Who was that assassin? Was it supposed to be someone I should recognise from the game? It looked kinda like the Grandmaster with less of a beard.

You aren't supposed to know who it is.

garath

I hit a quest breaking bug in Chapter 2. Made me sad. I ended up checking some FAQs to see what the heck I was missing and it was a biggie:

I couldn't get into the cemetery. I had already moved Vizima Confidential along to after the autopsy and pinned it on Kalkenstein. I got the quest from the gravedigger to get the pass from either Vincent or Thaler (though the gravedigger didn't actually say that, it's just what the quest said). However neither guy would say anything about it. It looks like because I had done the autopsy and pinned it on Kalkenstein it auto "proved" the other guys innocent and I never got to tell them that myself. I even did the party with Shani and learned that Thaler couldn't be the guy so it didn't open up any other options. I would have really liked to have gotten into the cemetery to learn that Raymond was the guy. Not sure what it would have changed. So frustrated I just continued. Bugs like that annoy me.

Zomba13

Pankaks said:
You aren't supposed to know who it is.
That's good then. I always hate it when a game/movie has a twist that I should be all 'OH SNAP!' at but don't realise it. Nice to know me not knowing is the 'right' reaction.

Just got to chapter three and I'm totally in love with this game.

I must be up to around 35/40 hours or so at this point, hahaha. I must really suck at managing my time or something. Either way, loved the conclusion of the second chapter and can't wait to see what lies ahead.

I'm the same way No45. My first impulse is to highlight those boxes, but I stop myself just in time. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop myself from absent mindedly clicking on the Witcher 2 spoiler thread.

LiK said:
I played with the French dubs and they're not so bad, but it kept defaulting to the English dubs every time I booted it up, so sometimes I'd forget to change it... and wow. Awful.

chessnut

looks like everyone is near chapter 4. this is certainly the best looking chapter, but i hate traveling these long distances...there should really be a teleport or a shortcut from the river to town

Zomba13

b.mak said:
looks like everyone is near chapter 4. this is certainly the best looking chapter, but i hate traveling these long distances...there should really be a teleport or a shortcut from the river to town
Up until chapter 4 I thought this was an ugly game, not in technical graphics (which I forgive with it being years old) but in design and everything just not looking nice (not a bad thing though. It fit the tone of the game). Got to Chapter 4 and saw the opening cutscene and the lakeside and the fireflies and everything, looked really pretty, and the fields and the village. Was a nice contrast to the earlier chapters and Vizima's griminess.

b.mak said:
But then you couldn't explore Geralt's sensitive side by chilling with Alvin and picking flowers.

LiK

FINALLY DONE! Damn, what a long game. I even skipped a bunch of sidequests. Anyway, the last battle was great.

Kurtofan

So I bought this game on gog and it's kind of slow in the beginning.
I am at chapter 1 in some bumfuck town with people asking me to kill zombie dogs and shit, when does it start being awesome?

LiK

Van Buren said:
Thoughts on the ending ? This is what is most fun to read about.
Can't believe it was a cliffhanger after all that lol

I figured out the Grand Master must've been Alvin during the Ice Plains part. That was a nice twist.

gdt

Kurtofan said:
So I bought this game on gog and it's kind of slow in the beginning.
I am at chapter 1 in some bumfuck town with people asking me to kill zombie dogs and shit, when does it start being awesome?

Around the end of the chapter, when all the different quest lines comes together.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just "restarted" this. I played the original version up to Chapter 2, but my old GeForce 7600GS wasn't up to the task. So I started playing the Enhanced Edition I bought a few months back, and though I can run everything high, my HD4870 hovers around 20-40FPS.

This game isn't multi-core enabled right? I only see one core being used. Freaking shame I could get double the FPS if it wasn't for that.. its slowly hampering my enjoyment of the game. Still in Chapter 1 though. Noticing little new things and stuff like that. Game is definitely good though

Helmholtz

Oni Link 666 said:
Question about the Chapter 4 Hermit quest.

Is the hut worth a damn? It doesn't look like I can even meditate there.
Don't think so; apparently you can't even store anything there contrary to what the Hermit tells you.

So I've just set up an Xpadder profile for this which is based around the controls for TW2. I also installed the FCR mod which makes the combat a lot more difficult, so this should be pretty interesting methinks.

Top Bottom