• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

For some reason some characters when I'm playing have one super long finger that clips through the floor. It looks really hilarious and reminds me of the Finglonger from Futurama.

I'm finally nearing the end of chapter one, and I have to say I'm really loving this game.

If this is the legendarily "terrible chapter" then I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game. The only thing that has been annoying is trying to travel at night and having enemies spawning too often.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Typographenia said:
If this is the legendarily "terrible chapter" then I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game.
What? Most think it's the best one I think.

gdt

Boy, the Swamp is hard as fuck. The monsters in there surround and destroy me. Went back to the Temple Quarter to do more quests and level up more before I go back there.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Typographenia said:
Maybe it's chapter 2, then. Either way, I've really enjoyed the game thus far.

Zomba are you playing it off of gog?
No, nevermind, you're right I think, I thought it was OT for the sequel :p

Van Buren

Typographenia said:
I'm finally nearing the end of chapter one, and I have to say I'm really loving this game.

If this is the legendarily "terrible chapter" then I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game. The only thing that has been annoying is trying to travel at night and having enemies spawning too often.

If you are loving the game at the end of Chapter 1, let me be the first to break it to you - you're in for some ride given what's coming in the two games. Chapter 1 is like an extended tutorial compared to what happens later on. I personally loved it due to how atmospheric it is.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Typographenia said:

If you enjoyed the first chapter, you're in for a treat because it only gets better from there.

Awesome! : )
Then again, it might help that I'm using the mod for meditate/storage anywhere and cat eye anytime.

I learned my lesson with meditation, though.
When going into the crypt a second time with the key mikul gave me, I meditated 1 hour after killing all of the ghouls before the beast. I figured I should go in with more health and what have you. However, as soon as I came out of meditate there were three new ghouls in the room and a fourth making its way through the door.
Needless to say, I didn't end up with any of the extra health I had just gotten, hahaha!

Van Buren

gdt5016 said:
Boy, the Swamp is hard as fuck. The monsters in there surround and destroy me. Went back to the Temple Quarter to do more quests and level up more before I go back there.

The swamp has the coccadium boss which tries to greet every new player with a death. It's this huge plant creature that has a ranged attack that kills very quickly. If that is what is hurting you, cheese the fight by casting igni and running away. The stupid thing is rooted and cannot move.

stupei

Typographenia said:

There seems to be a lot of debate about which chapter people dislike the most, which probably comes down to personal taste and some of the chapters being so different from each other. So far I'm nearing the end of Chapter 3 and in some ways I'd say 1 is my favorite so far and 3 might be my least favorite because it feels so similar to 2.

But if you're enjoying 1 and don't mind things changing up a little, you'll probably continue to enjoy the game. The downside to 2 and 3 is that there's still a lot of running back and forth, like in 1, but finding a direct route is much harder when dealing with city streets. (And because you're inside a city, there's no drawing your sword in fast style to run faster.)

gdt5016 said:

Keep in mind that you don't always have to engage with the monsters in the swamp. Obviously you have to level up a little bit to get through there at all, but when you're likely to be outnumbered it can be a good idea to run a little ways off -- with sword drawn using fast style -- before turning to face the first wave. Some of the monsters will be naturally faster than others, so this should at least create some distance between the attacks. Also, Aard is very useful here.

Started the game (finally) last night and probably put about 2-3 hours into. Really enjoying it so far.

Can anyone give me tips on how to install a trainer? I downloaded a 1.5 trainer but I just can't seem to get it working with the game properly. Where exactly do we install the trainer? I've heard you can run it right off the desktop, or if that doesn't work, just put the file in the same folder the game is in. I've tried both, and none work. What's the secret to these things?

Van Buren

DarkChronic said:
Started the game (finally) last night and probably put about 2-3 hours into. Really enjoying it so far.

Can anyone give me tips on how to install a trainer? I downloaded a 1.5 trainer but I just can't seem to get it working with the game properly. Where exactly do we install the trainer? I've heard you can run it right off the desktop, or if that doesn't work, just put the file in the same folder the game is in. I've tried both, and none work. What's the secret to these things?

Normally trainers work from the game folder, but the GOG version might be different to the typical 1.5 game version - it's happened before - and this could cause the issue you are experiencing.

What you can do is look over the recent pages in this thread since a mod for infinite health and endurance was linked a few times. I'm assuming that is what you are using the trainer for.

Van Buren said:
What you can do is look over the recent pages in this thread since a mod for infinite health and endurance

Indeed. I'll flip through some recent pages. Thanks bud!

Got it! For anyone still looking:

bluedeviltron said:
This works perfectly, in case anyone else is trying to burn through this before The Witcher 2 and runs into the same bullshit I did:

http://www.fileplanet.com/184337/180000/fileinfo/The-Witcher---Infinite-Health-and-Endurance-Mod

I'm redownloading the game now, I didn't go very far the first time (a big city) so I'll start from scratch!

Then, I'll see if I'm getting 2 right after that or if I wait on some kind of offer.

Zomba13

Typographenia said:
Maybe it's chapter 2, then. Either way, I've really enjoyed the game thus far.

Zomba, have you tried verifying game file integrity?
Yeah, it says all files were successfully validated.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Zomba13 said:
I take it nobody knows how to fix these problems I'm having then?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27943677&postcount=2938
Is it anything like
witcher2.jpg

This?

Slo

Helmholtz said:
This game is great, I just made it to chapter four last night. Anyone know roughly how many hours are left from chapter 4/5?

You're probably 10-15 away from the end. I really envy you for being able to go right from the TW1 to TW2. After you see the last cutscene, you'll be itching to start TW2 right away.

Zomba13

Easy_D said:
Is it anything like http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/1player1/witcher2.jpg[img]
This?[/QUOTE]
Don't think I've had a problem like that. I'll try and grab a pic or what its like.

EDIT:
[url]http://i.imgur.com/p32sC.jpg[/url] (NSFW. Green Naked Lady)

I have that problem on her (don't know about any other naked ladies. At least it wasn't on the first 2 sex partners). Think that problem only on some NPCs fingers and some objects (like bag straps). Don't know how to fix it =/

gdt

I think I'm close to the end of Chapter II (suspects almost all gone, most not guilty. Trying to get into the Graveyard, dunno how though).

I'm going back to the Swamp to do some quests there, hopefully I'm upto the task now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Helmholtz said:
This game is great, I just made it to chapter four last night. Anyone know roughly how many hours are left from chapter 4/5?
I just fucking breezed through 4. Probably as long as 1 for me. 4-5 hours.

I'm definitely going to say the load times make this game far longer than it really is. I had about 10-11 hours for Chapter 2, Around the same for 3, Maybe more. But I also had a load of crashes. Once I got to chapter 4 again with less loading, and a single crash.

Arozay

Zomba13 said:
Don't think I've had a problem like that. I'll try and grab a pic or what its like.

EDIT:
http://i.imgur.com/p32sC.jpg (NSFW. Green Naked Lady)

I have that problem on her (don't know about any other naked ladies. At least it wasn't on the first 2 sex partners). Think that problem only on some NPCs fingers and some objects (like bag straps). Don't know how to fix it =/
National geographic style

So I finally reach the epilogue in the game. And wtf?

The Zeugl? Why am fighting this boss suddenly? Didn´t the game already give me like five different bosses in chapter 5 and plenty of fights in the epilogue? And haven´t I already played this game for over 30 hours, meaning that filler contents isn´t needed?

This boss is just so annoying, and since they don´t show me any feedback (a health meter) for this boss, I don´t know if I´m fighting it the right way. Any tips on how to beat it the best way?

I like the game, but CD Project are really pushing my nerves frequently.

So I picked up this game via Amazon downloads and won't be able to finish downloading it until next week, but I read it's version 1.5. So, will I have any problems getting it to run on windows 7 64bit?

Complistic

Typographenia said:

Ya if you enjoyed chapter 1 then you are in for a fun game. I personally liked the feel of chapter 1 as well but a lot of people didn't like all the running around. Though imo there's more running around in chapter 2 but whatever.

Slo

CecilRousso said:
So I finally reach the epilogue in the game. And wtf?

The Zeugl? Why am fighting this boss suddenly? Didn´t the game already give me like five different bosses in chapter 5 and plenty of fights in the epilogue? And haven´t I already played this game for over 30 hours, meaning that filler contents isn´t needed?

This boss is just so annoying, and since they don´t show me any feedback (a health meter) for this boss, I don´t know if I´m fighting it the right way. Any tips on how to beat it the best way?

I like the game, but CD Project are really pushing my nerves frequently.

You're the one that decided to fight him! Don't blame CD Project for that!

Silver sword, strong stance, sword modifier oil if you have it, magic regen potion if you have it, and Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni. Come on dude, that's pretty much the same as the rest of the game LOL.

Managed to beat him, and then the rest of the game.

Prologue - Cool.
Chapter 1 - Good
Chapter 2 - Great!
Chapter 3 - Great!
Chapter 4 - Ok, not more than that.
Chapter 5 - Boring.
Epilogue - Just annoying.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
gdt5016 said:
Any tips with beating The Sentry in Chapter II?

If you haven't done the scouting quest yet you can kite him into the camp of Order knights and they can help you take him down.

I believe you can also kill him using those lightning rods next to where he spawns but I don't exactly remember how that one worked.

gdt

Where do I get Axii?

Oh, and I think I hit a bug, can someone confirm?

In the Yaren Bolt/Vodyanoi quest.

Got the Vodyanoi amulet of peace, and it says "Phase: Quest Completed" in my journal, but when I go talk to Yaren, he doesn't say anything about it. Just tells me to hurry up with the monster killing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pankaks said:
If you haven't done the scouting quest yet you can kite him into the camp of Order knights and they can help you take him down.

I believe you can also kill him using those lightning rods next to where he spawns but I don't exactly remember how that one worked.
It's pretty self explanatory

Turn on two, and lure him over to the third. When he is near, hit it. It strikes with lightning. If he isn't near, it strikes you. It's pretty generous too.

Chapter 5 isn't very fun. Particularly the endless spam of enemies. I'm just trying to get into the door... when one keeps argoing me, preventing me from doing so.

gdt

Okay, about to finish Chapter II. How do I upgrade my swords? I go to the blacksmith to forge, but I don't really know how to make him upgrade my stuff.

Atenhaus

Okay, I'm at a loss at how to deal with this. I'm currently in Act II.

I'm currently sneaking about Henselt's camp. I'm about to go around the second gate, but this goddamn cook keeps turning around and noticing me. He's located at the southwest edge of the camp.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone else getting crashes constantly in chapter 5 after battle of groups of enemies looks like trying to load next scene or something and it always black screen then Error pop up and have to close to windows. It happened twice in same load.... any fix to this? I even turned everything down and windowed mode

gdt5016 said:
Okay, about to finish Chapter II. How do I upgrade my swords? I go to the blacksmith to forge, but I don't really know how to make him upgrade my stuff.

You need 3 meteorite pieces to upgrade your normal sword or 3 rune pieces to upgrade the silver sword. It's kind of confusing since it doesn't really upgrade your sword, if you have the mats then a new sword will be available to purchase from the merchant.

Riposte

I'd really appreciate it if someone could find me a fully working(more completed?) save of Witcher 1 that sides with the Order. The one in the Witcher 2 OT doesn't work. I am surprised google can't help me here.

Atenhaus said:
Okay, I'm at a loss at how to deal with this. I'm currently in Act II.

I'm currently sneaking about Henselt's camp. I'm about to go around the second gate, but this goddamn cook keeps turning around and noticing me. He's located at the southwest edge of the camp.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think you meant to post this in the other Witcher thread =]

No45

samus4ever said:
So I picked up this game via Amazon downloads and won't be able to finish downloading it until next week, but I read it's version 1.5. So, will I have any problems getting it to run on windows 7 64bit?
Yeah, I'm playing it now and I haven't had any major problems. Fan was whirring like a bitch last night for the cutscene at the end of chapter II/beginning of chapter III but other than that I've had no trouble at all. :)

No45

You're unlikely to miss those. One of them is in a cave in the swamp (that houses an item you need to finish the chapter) and the other is in the final location for the chapter (you definitely won't miss that one).

Mr_Brit

Banned
No45 said:
You're unlikely to miss those. One of them is in a cave in the swamp (that houses an item you need to finish the chapter) and the other is in the final location for the chapter (you definitely won't miss that one).
I haven't been to either location yet so I guess I haven't missed any magic signs then.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You can always snag missed signs in future chapters too. Also, playing on Hard difficulty myself and I have yet to use a sign that isn't Igni or Aard. Igni alone is pretty damn overpowered.

Just hit Chapter 4 and am loving the change of pace. Beautiful scenery, tranquil, and more open/relaxing. Chapter 2 and 3 felt a bit overstuffed and claustrophobic, so I am loving the change.

Biggest issue for me is that the difficulty is just absurdly easy(again even playing on hard). I have plenty of potions/oils, but I don't even need to use them as I am annihilating everything with just my swords. Disappointing as the narrative sets up these elaborate encounters that make it seem like I would have trouble("Make use of your potions Geralt!") and a few swipes later it's all over. Even the 'trophy' battles against named harder foes go down before my health barely moves.

Granted, having done 40 hours of sidequests and having the best equipment at this point is probably making things imbalanced. But still, that stuff shouldn't make me a god on the hardest difficulty, but rather give a slight boost.

Slo

Brandon F said:
Biggest issue for me is that the difficulty is just absurdly easy(again even playing on hard). I have plenty of potions/oils, but I don't even need to use them as I am annihilating everything with just my swords. Disappointing as the narrative sets up these elaborate encounters that make it seem like I would have trouble("Make use of your potions Geralt!") and a few swipes later it's all over. Even the 'trophy' battles against named harder foes go down before my health barely moves.

Granted, having done 40 hours of sidequests and having the best equipment at this point is probably making things imbalanced. But still, that stuff shouldn't make me a god on the hardest difficulty, but rather give a slight boost.

You can look forward to the combat in Witcher 2.

Top Bottom