• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

No45

I'm still ploughing through with the first steel/silver swords. I have enough to upgrade them both I think, but I'm saving them until I get a better one to upgrade. I can't help it, I do the same with long cooldowns in WoW: "BUT WHAT IF I NEED IT IN 7.5 MINUTES?!?!". D:

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
No45 said:
I'm still ploughing through with the first steel/silver swords. I have enough to upgrade them both I think, but I'm saving them until I get a better one to upgrade. I can't help it, I do the same with long cooldowns in WoW: "BUT WHAT IF I NEED IT IN 7.5 MINUTES?!?!". D:

I haven't used any runes or whatever on my default silver/steel either. I did replace my Witcher steel sword with 'Harvall' an optional special steel sword I found in Act II Swamp. But that's it. My silver sword is the same as it ever was.

Inkwell

Banned
Brandon F said:
I haven't used any runes or whatever on my default silver/steel either. I did replace my Witcher steel sword with 'Harvall' an optional special steel sword I found in Act II Swamp. But that's it. My silver sword is the same as it ever was.
Same with me, though I didn't find that steel sword until chapter 3. I have so many meteorites and runes and don't know if I should use them though.

Slo

I can't think of any reason that you should upgrade your swords as soon as you get enough meteorites/runes.

Are the meteorite upgrades just for a short period of time or are they permanent?

I haven't touched my swords either, hahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one hoarding these items for the future.

Slo

No, what happens is once you get 3 or more meteorites, the blacksmith's inventory will show swords that represent the hypothetical output of forging the meteorites in your inventory together in different ways. So if you used 3 red meteorites, there will be a sword with +30% bleeding effect for example, if you use 2 red and 1 blue the sword will be +20% bleeding and +10% chance of stun or whatever. Once you buy one of the swords, the three meteorites you used are consumed, you are given the sword, and your old sword basically becomes obsolete.

The same goes for the silver swords. There's really no reason to keep your original swords once you can upgrade them.

SamuraiX-

Is there any point to use heavy or short weapons?

It seems like the steel and silver swords in combination with the three different combat styles are probably most effective means of attack.

Van Buren

SamuraiX- said:
Is there any point to use heavy or short weapons?

It seems like the steel and silver swords in combination with the three different combat styles are probably most effective means of attack.

Sell the other weapons - they're useless otherwise. Your Witcher swords and a couple of quest rewards later on are all you will need.

I tried to plough through the first game around the time TW2 came out. I got a few quests deep into the first section of Vizima proper, then gave into my cravings and jumped into TW2. Should I feel bad?

Van Buren

LaserBuddha said:
I tried to plough through the first game around the time TW2 came out. I got a few quests deep into the first section of Vizima proper, then gave into my cravings and jumped into TW2. Should I feel bad?

Witcher 1 is recommended, but not required. There are certain things in the final sections of the sequel that make a lot more sense if you are familiar with the lore of the Witcher world though.

SamuraiX-

Van Buren said:
Sell the other weapons - they're useless otherwise. Your Witcher swords and a couple of quest rewards later on are all you will need.

Thanks for the tip!

How about books?

After they're read, is there anybody who will buy them? I've been stocking them up in my safe...

Narag

SamuraiX- said:
Thanks for the tip!

How about books?

After they're read, is there anybody who will buy them? I've been stocking them up in my safe...

Antiquary and other vendors will buy them back but I believe at a reduced rate since you've read them.

Complistic

LaserBuddha said:

Power through the first part of vizima. Otherwise you're missing the great game that comes after.

Lorr

I'm about ten hours in now and loving it, but I was told it's better in Polish with subtitles and can't find the option anywhere... anyone know where I'm supposed to be looking? Or am I going to have to download that? If so, am I going to have to restart? Not that it would be a terrible loss.

A question about selling items I acquired in chapter 1:
Is there anywhere I can sell the items like the dog heads? I've got a TON of them, but I have absolutely no idea where I would go about selling them.

Is there any way to just straight up drop/get rid of an item?

Van Buren

Typographenia said:
A question about selling items I acquired in chapter 1:
Is there anywhere I can sell the items like the dog heads? I've got a TON of them, but I have absolutely no idea where I would go about selling them.

Is there any way to just straight up drop/get rid of an item?

You will need at least one barghest skull for a quest in Chapter 3 and beyond. I sold them to Abigail if I remember right. To get rid of an item, drag the item to the drop item box at the lower part of the inventory screen.

mileS

Yea I can only remember selling them to Abigail. I don't remember needing any later on in chapter 3 or beyond. Maybe I missed it or had some in storage at the inn. I wouldn't drop them though, thats was a big source of orens early on in the game.

Brandon F

Van Buren said:
You will need at least one barghest skull for a quest in Chapter 3 and beyond. I sold them to Abigail if I remember right. To get rid of an item, drag the item to the drop item box at the lower part of the inventory screen.

Yea I think I either sold or dropped my stack of excess Bhargest skulls somewhere and ran across the quest in Act III, sucks I'll never finish that quest proper now.

Van Buren said:
I'm really cautious about not getting rid of items like that. Since I'm using the "make witcher's life easier" mod I sell all my flints except for one stack I keep stored. You never know when you'll need stuff like that.

Thanks for the heads-up, though!

For people who can't find someone to buy their Fisstech and spectral mutt skulls, the blacksmiths for the factions basically buy anything so they're a good dump for that kind of thing.

Also
if you change sides, all the stuff you sold will be transferred to the inventory of your new smithy.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
For people who can't find someone to buy their Fisstech and spectral mutt skulls, the blacksmiths for the factions basically buy anything so they're a good dump for that kind of thing.

Also
if you change sides, all the stuff you sold will be transferred to the inventory of your new smithy.

Which one do you use when going the neutral path? I think one of them will still do business but I don't recall which one.

Wallach said:
Which one do you use when going the neutral path? I think one of them will still do business but I don't recall which one.
Good question, I'm not sure. You don't need to do much to get the Order guy to sell to you
other than let Siegfried help you in the sewers
so I guess they will keep doing it if you never actively oppose them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finished it today. I have 43 hours on the Raptr account, but at least 5 were from a glitch which kept the time running after I shut down my PC. Add on quite a bit of time lost thanks to crashes(Act 3 was a chore to get through for that reason, everything mellowed out after it). Probably looking at about 35-36 hours to complete the game.

I'm pretty sure I hit every quest other than the lost boy. And I was a noble shit. Saved as many people as I could, also choose the Neutral path at the end. Even though my decisions sided with Squirrels a lot more. It's one of the few games were it was enjoyable to stop and listen to the quest, even when they were basically fetch and kill. They definitely do a great job making it feel like you are always doing something of value to the world.

Not entirely sure what to think of the ending. Can't say I like it, but I don't think I dislike it either.

Finally, Igni spam! Buffed that shit up. heh

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i'm on chapter 5 and just entered a cave below the old manor, how close am i to the end? I guess only a few hours right?

And man, i think i spent more time in chapter 2 than 3 & 4 combined lol...

Van Buren

Bisnic said:
So i'm on chapter 5 and just entered a cave below the old manor, how close am i to the end? I guess only a few hours right?

And man, i think i spent more time in chapter 2 than 3 & 4 combined lol...

Very close to the end of Chapter 5. Maybe around 2 hours of the game left at the most.

Shintoki said:
Not entirely sure what to think of the ending. Can't say I like it, but I don't think I dislike it either.
Ending spoiler -
What was your issue with it ? I thought the Alvin = Grandmaster reveal was done in a very subtle way and the way one's conversations with Alvin molded his speech as the Grandmaster was great.

Not only that, if the Grandmaster's visions bear a semblance of being real, Geralt might just have doomed the world, which is a breath of fresh air after countless "save the world" stories. The Grandmaster's whole reasoning is that the end justifies the means. Very ambiguous, and that's why I like it.

Brandon F

Just hit hour 50 nearing the conclusion of Act 4. REALLY adored this past chapter too. Beautiful spacious environment, lovely music, and a nice change of tone from the clustered overload of Ch 2/3. I even thought it was a great touch how the rural folk respected my 'Witcher' duties compared to the constant disrespect I received in Vizima. I was not all expecting subtle touches like that, it sort of seemed it was a global reaction that everyone despises/fears Witchers...

I am sort of hoping Ch. 5 and the Epilogue cruise by though. I'm itching to just wrap it up at this point. Very interested to see where the narrative flows, but all the 'gamey' bits are so busted considering my current power and ability, that it barely feels like a videogame RPG at all anymore.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Brandon F said:
I am sort of hoping Ch. 5 and the Epilogue cruise by though. I'm itching to just wrap it up at this point. Very interested to see where the narrative flows, but all the 'gamey' bits are so busted considering my current power and ability, that it barely feels like a videogame RPG at all anymore.

They do, ch. 5 isn't necessarily short but it's straight to the point with few side quests and none of the lengthy backtracking you had to do in the other chapters. The epilogue is probably an hour long. You're almost there.

Anyways, I'm thinking I might do a second playthrough of this after I finish TW2. The sequel is the better game but I still think TW1 is a fuckin great game, I'd like to see how things turn out if I side with Triss/Order.

Is there anywhere at all I can sell my old armor?
I just purchased the better version in the city, but I can't find a single person (or way) to sell my old armor. Will I just have to grin and bear it?

Also, I'm trying to get some more money playing dice poker to buy all of the books and scrolls from the antiquary, but I swear the computer cheats like a mad man. Just trying not to let it get to me, but geez... It blows when you pull off some good sets only to have computer activate miracle mode and beat you into the ground.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just beated the game, i'm not sure what to understand from the ending cinematic.

Who did Geralt killed in the throne room? A witcher obviously, but is it one from the beginning? Did he killed his future self or some shit like that? Or just some random witcher for the story to go "Hey, witchers also kill "good" humans!"?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bisnic said:
Just beated the game, i'm not sure what to understand from the ending cinematic.

Who did Geralt killed in the throne room? A witcher obviously, but is it one from the beginning? Did he killed his future self or some shit like that? Or just some random witcher for the story to go "Hey, witchers also kill "good" humans!"?

You aren't meant to know who it is, it's a cliffhanger meant to lead you into TW2

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well this sucks. I'm trying to reinstall The Witcher Enhanced Edition (Euro version) on my new system and it appears I don't have a disc, I guess maybe it's with the rest of the packaging back at my parents place. It's asking for a bonus game content disc

Hey one thing I forgot to ask here ages ago about Chapter 4:

Did anyone ever manage to figure out WTF all the little gnomes were all about? Is there some quest for them or something? I know that those altars around the fields are their shrines, and I found a cat-collar (marked "quest item") in one of them deep inside a dungeon, but I never got a quest for them from anyone.

So weird. They're also part of the "small animals" system in the engine which makes them even more weird.

Trojita

Damn, I tried to reinstall the game deselecting the bonus content and it still asked for the second CD. Looks like I won't be playing The Witcher soon in anticipation of being able to play The Witcher 2.

Trojita said:
Damn, I tried to reinstall the game deselecting the bonus content and it still asked for the second CD. Looks like I won't be playing The Witcher soon in anticipation of being able to play The Witcher 2.
Does it come with a download code for GOG or something?

Trojita

Schmattakopf said:
Does it come with a download code for GOG or something?
No, I don't think. I bought this from a European import store when the enhanced edition was first released.

Arozay

jim-jam bongs said:

Did anyone ever manage to figure out WTF all the little gnomes were all about? Is there some quest for them or something? I know that those altars around the fields are their shrines, and I found a cat-collar (marked "quest item") in one of them deep inside a dungeon, but I never got a quest for them from anyone.

So weird. They're also part of the "small animals" system in the engine which makes them even more weird.
There's a quest related to them given at the broken bridge by the builders at daytime. Involves putting the cat collar in the shrine.

WEGGLES

jim-jam bongs said:

They're to do with the man fixing the bridge with his son.

Brandon F

And done...55-ish hours.

Really enjoyed the pacing and constant shifts in Ch. 5 and Epilogue. The final zone you visit in the Epilogue especially is absolutely stunning looking. I took several Steam screenshots of the area too, considering the engine, it's rather shocking how good it looked.

I was a bit dissapointed in what the overarching plot transformed into MAJOR SPOILER
stop an ego maniacal asshat trying to bring about the ruin of the world according to an ancient prophecy
, but the core direction of the events, and again the locations held my interest enough. And what a fun and exciting closing FMV that leads directly into W2. I can't imagine most people starting the sequel without playing this game would understand what many of those W2 Prologue conversations actually reference.

I didn't find the actual ramifications and choices in this game were that different from a typical Bioware game. Much of it was very binary(even if I went Neutral), but with all the hype regarding that aspect, I expected them to be more far-reaching. It was great to see them play out regardless, even the subtle optional ones, but many of them didn't factor heavily into the scope of the narrative much at all(outside of the obvious which the game painstakingly points out to you). Again, much like any Bioware game.

Still, a wonderful experience, that I am glad to have finally experienced despite purchasing twice and languishing on my HDD for over 4 years. Looking forward to diving into W2 now.

Van Buren

Brandon F said:
I was a bit dissapointed in what the overarching plot transformed into MAJOR SPOILER
stop an ego maniacal asshat trying to bring about the ruin of the world according to an ancient prophecy

Ending spoiler
Actually, Alvin is not trying to bring about the end of the world; far from it, since his visions foretell that the end of the world is coming according to the prophecies, and he is actively trying to prevent that. The problem is, he's working on an 'end justifies the means' principle, which is why his actions aren't as noble. His visions might also be warped, as Abigail mentions, so his methods seem too extreme given the chance that his visions might not come to pass. On the other hand, if the visions bear a semblance of truth, Geralt could have effectively sealed the world's demise. The entire thing's ambiguous, which is refreshing.

Regarding the choices, it's the fact that they are morally ambiguous and not color-coded "reload if you don't like what you see" choices is why people prefer them to Bioware's system. That, and the fact that the consequences are not immediately apparent. They are just decisions, and there is no arbitrary scale to judge one's actions - it all depends on one's own moral disposition.

Brandon F

Van Buren said:
Ending spoiler
Actually, Alvin is not trying to bring about the end of the world; far from it, since his visions foretell that the end of the world is coming according to the prophecies, and he is actively trying to prevent that. The problem is, he's working on an 'end justifies the means' principle, which is why his actions aren't as noble. His visions might also be warped, as Abigail mentions, so his methods seem too extreme given the chance that his visions might not come to pass. On the other hand, if the visions bear a semblance of truth, Geralt could have effectively sealed the world's demise. The entire thing's ambiguous, which is refreshing.

Regarding the choices, it's the fact that they are morally ambiguous and not color-coded "reload if you don't like what you see" choices is why people prefer them to Bioware's system. That, and the fact that the consequences are not immediately apparent. They are just decisions, and there is no arbitrary scale to judge one's actions - it all depends on one's own moral disposition.

Yea, it was late last night and all I sort of recall was Prophecy...blah, blah, blah; saving the world by creating a superior race free of bigotry, etc... I likely missed the deeper meaning by not paying too close attention. Irregardless, it wasn't the most engaging conclusion I felt, the game excelled in the smaller stories and their subtle ripples rather than the grand conclusion/showdown. I did find it interesting that the Grand Master was alluded to being Alvin though, but it was too awkward and left field for me to buy into given all the Act IV life-lessons I taught him. Again, maybe didn't pay close enough attention to his ramblings at the end of the game, nor did I care that much.

Van Buren

Brandon F said:
I did find it interesting that the Grand Master was alluded to being Alvin though, but it was too awkward and left field for me to buy into given all the Act IV life-lessons I taught him. Again, maybe didn't pay close enough attention to his ramblings at the end of the game

Ending spoilers
Actually, he repeats back the life lessons you gave him in ACT 4, but it's twisted. He uses it to justify his atrocities - in a way, it raises the question of whether Geralt's rushed life lessons were the true cause of all the strife that happens in the game. If you were rushing it, I can see how it might feel a bit underwhelming, but I was soaking up on all the details and thought it was a rare occurrence where the writers didn't feel the need to handhold the reveal of the Grandmaster.

Brandon F said:
Yea, it was late last night and all I sort of recall was Prophecy...blah, blah, blah; saving the world by creating a superior race free of bigotry, etc... I likely missed the deeper meaning by not paying too close attention. Irregardless, it wasn't the most engaging conclusion I felt, the game excelled in the smaller stories and their subtle ripples rather than the grand conclusion/showdown. I did find it interesting that the Grand Master was alluded to being Alvin though, but it was too awkward and left field for me to buy into given all the Act IV life-lessons I taught him. Again, maybe didn't pay close enough attention to his ramblings at the end of the game, nor did I care that much.
As much as I enjoyed the game, I feel the same way about the ending. The rest of the game was slow and it was only halfway through that this bigger plot even starts getting alluded to... so that all this arbitrarity that is the Epilogue seemingly happens quickly and out of nowhere.

snorggy

Sorry if this has been asked or if this is a moronic thing to ask, but is there a general consensus about which play type will offer the best experience? I think there is an over the shoulder mode and a diablo-like point and click mode?

I've been out of the PC gaming scene for a long, long time, and would hate to "play it wrong" :)

snorggy said:
Sorry if this has been asked or if this is a moronic thing to ask, but is there a general consensus about which play type will offer the best experience? I think there is an over the shoulder mode and a diablo-like point and click mode?

I've been out of the PC gaming scene for a long, long time, and would hate to "play it wrong" :)
OTS. No contest

Brandon F

Schmattakopf said:
As much as I enjoyed the game, I feel the same way about the ending. The rest of the game was slow and it was only halfway through that this bigger plot even starts getting alluded to... so that all this arbitrarity that is the Epilogue seemingly happens quickly and out of nowhere.

Yea, it was hard for me to really care. So much of my own attention was purely on stopping the Salamandra(which I enjoyed as a primary purpose), and given Geralt's constant responses about 'just being a Witcher' and politics having no bearing on his purpose, I followed suit as a gamer. Again, I mostly zoned out when it came to caring about the motivations and justifications for the big bad's at the endgame. In the fact, the whole of Alvin as a crutch in this story felt disjointed. Salamandra took interest, but only as a side priority to that of creating a mutant army...except for the fact that Alvin ended up being the instigator of everything, a strange twist. But meh.

Top Bottom