• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Kurtofan said:
So I bought this game on gog and it's kind of slow in the beginning.
I am at chapter 1 in some bumfuck town with people asking me to kill zombie dogs and shit, when does it start being awesome?
This is me as well, also, is there any optimal way/path to distribute upgrade points? Or any useless ability I should avoid expending points on?
I am just starting chapter 1 but don't want to be frustraded with an early screw up that could gimp my enjoyment of the game later on.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The Omega Man said:
This is me as well, also, is there any optimal way/path to distribute upgrade points? Or any useless ability I should avoid expending points on?
I am just starting chapter 1 but don't want to be frustraded with an early screw up that could gimp my enjoyment of the game later on.

Don't worry at all. Played on Hard myself and the game gets way too easy to concern over point distribution. By the mid-game I was forgetting to even distribute points until several level upgrades flew by and it was all overkill.

You will get so many Bronze talents alone that eventually almost everything will be filled and you'll smack your head for even overthinking their distribution. But in Act 1 I would only really recommend dumping points into Aard(helps tremendously with Act 1 boss). After that, you'll be fine just spending on whatever. I went with a balanced approach(focusing mostly on Igni, which is SO overpowered it might as well be the 'win' spell).

But again, by the time you start earning limited silver and gold points to distribute(a few chapters in), the game will be far too easy to even care where they go.

Van Buren

The Omega Man said:
Tis is me as well, is there any optimal way/path to distribute upgrade points? Or any useless ability I should avoid expending points on?

Depends on your playstyle. One can absolutely cheese everything by putting points into Intelligence and Igni and running around spamming one spell for 60 hours. For a more 'traditional' build, go with strength and swords. Basically you will need to invest talent points into Strength to unlock the Sword styles. Just invest the bare minimum points to unlock the styles initially. As you play, you will receive so many points that you will end up maxing out Strength and the Sword styles. Group style is very useful, as is the Knockdown talent in the Aard tree. Take the Aard talent asap - you will thank me later at the end of Chapter 1.

jim-jam bongs said:
I also installed the FCR mod which makes the combat a lot more difficult
I liked the mod a lot, but I had to 'forget' how combat worked. It can be quite brutal at times, but it was fun.

Van Buren said:
I liked the mod a lot, but I had to 'forget' how combat worked. It can be quite brutal at times, but it was fun.

Yeah I made the mistake of starting it on FCR Insane and got massacred in the Prologue. I'm going to go through it on Normal I think, I genuinely can't see how it's even possible to complete the Prologue on Insane.

D:

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I made the mistake of starting it on FCR Insane and got massacred in the Prologue. I'm going to go through it on Normal I think, I genuinely can't see how it's even possible to complete the Prologue on Insane.

D:

Supposedly the mod's author went on to work at CDPR. If it's true, one can see its influence in the sequel. Fighting more than two human opponents with just the group style was hardly feasible during my run.

Grinchy

Banned
mileS said:
what res you running? had the same problem with my 16:10, 1440x900 monitor. Now that I switched to my 1080p 16:9 monitor its fine.

they didn't bother going back and fixing it so instead of turning the lighting to low maybe you should try changing your res like Minsc mentioned earlier in this thread. Hope this helps
Thanks for this tip, that definitely fixes the faces for me. Changing it down to 1920x1080 fixed the problem right away. Now I need to find the setting so that I can get the bars to keep my aspect ratio right.

Inkwell

Banned
Finally finished the game. I'm excited to start the next one, but I think I'll take a bit of a break.

By the way, are the premium modules worth playing?

Van Buren

Inkwell said:
Finally finished the game. I'm excited to start the next one, but I think I'll take a bit of a break.

By the way, are the premium modules worth playing?

Witcher - Price of Neutrality is a must. Let me just say that a certain someone from the second game will make a lot more sense if you do so.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Van Buren said:
Witcher - Price of Neutrality is a must. Let me just say that a certain someone from the second game will make a lot more sense if you do so.

Wow, I'll take a look before I dive into the sequel myself.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Weird, i bought the EE from GOG.com, and i dont see any of this. Is it just quests around the main game that i could have done without knowing they were new?

Bisnic said:
Weird, i bought the EE from GOG.com, and i dont see any of this. Is it just quests around the main game that i could have done without knowing they were new?
No they're separate modules made by CDPR as a demonstration of their modding tools.

gdt

I think they were at the start, when you click New Game. I remember something about extra quests or something.

Van Buren said:
Supposedly the mod's author went on to work at CDPR. If it's true, one can see its influence in the sequel. Fighting more than two human opponents with just the group style was hardly feasible during my run.

After a couple of hours I agree definitely. Although I always found using alchemy mandatory on hard it's mostly situational, whereas with FCR Normal it feels like I have to use a wide range of tactics constantly to stay alive. I didn't realise that it reworked all of the talents too, it's a good thing there are hints on all the talent tooltips like "MOST IMPORTANT TALENT IN GAME".

Also did some tweaking of my gamepad profile, so far the only things which really suck are selling and dropping items.

Xtyle

Still in Chapter 2. Done most of the side quests now. Maybe all of them. Really liking Chapter 2 so far. I am level 22 and I honestly don't find the game too easy or too hard. I still die (to group fights like the harpies cave). I think I don't do is go out of my way to exploit certain elements of the game like the bombs and the bomb talents and what like. I love to play melee so all my points are in melee so far. Having a blast!

Anyone here happily owns the collector's edition? I pre-ordered, forgotten about it, and it came on launch day. I was not so sure at that point that I really wanted to spend 130$ on a single game...but the early impressions looked positive. And now I am totally happy I got the big box edition. The little goodies that come in it is pretty damn cool and somewhat unique. The art book is really nice too. Great illustrations. Love it.

Edit...wrong thread. sorry

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, while I wait for my copy of The Witcher 2 to arrive (which is taking far longer than it should, considering I pre-ordered), I figured I'd do a clean run of The Witcher to get an import save ready since I dont have one on hand. I wanted to do 100% of everything; all quests (to the best of my ability), neautral run, Triss, and all trophy quests.

And you know what? Fuck the trophy quests. Fuck them right off. The White Fang quest, where you have to find Voref, might as well be broken. In fact, I'm going to class it as bugged, broken and just plain fucked. No matter how hard I look or how hard I try, this cunt wont spawn anywhere in the swamp. I've scoured this place from top to bottom, over and over, exiting and re-entering, sleeping, and doing everything I can to find him. Nothing. I've checked the wiki to make sure I'm not in the middle of any quest that removes him, and I'm not.

Fuck this quest and fuck this Voref.

Inkwell

Banned
EatChildren said:
So, while I wait for my copy of The Witcher 2 to arrive (which is taking far longer than it should, considering I pre-ordered), I figured I'd do a clean run of The Witcher to get an import save ready since I dont have one on hand. I wanted to do 100% of everything; all quests (to the best of my ability), neautral run, Triss, and all trophy quests.

And you know what? Fuck the trophy quests. Fuck them right off. The White Fang quest, where you have to find Voref, might as well be broken. In fact, I'm going to class it as bugged, broken and just plain fucked. No matter how hard I look or how hard I try, this cunt wont spawn anywhere in the swamp. I've scoured this place from top to bottom, over and over, exiting and re-entering, sleeping, and doing everything I can to find him. Nothing. I've checked the wiki to make sure I'm not in the middle of any quest that removes him, and I'm not.

Fuck this quest and fuck this Voref.
I remember seeing voref north or northwest of the tower. One time it was just to the east of the druids. Also, make sure you didn't kill him already. I was working on the trophy quests for chapter 5 and just couldn't find bloodwing. I have no clue how long I looked for him, but it turns out I had already killed him during my fight with the other trophy monster. The remains stick around though.

No45

Inkwell said:
I remember seeing voref north or northwest of the tower. One time it was just to the east of the druids. Also, make sure you didn't kill him already. I was working on the trophy quests for chapter 5 and just couldn't find bloodwing. I have no clue how long I looked for him, but it turns out I had already killed him during my fight with the other trophy monster. The remains stick around though.
I can confirm this location on my play through as well (popped up in chapter III). I stumbled across him while I already had the Wyvern female trophy in my inventory and was making my way to the tower to teleport back to Vizima.

Bebpo

Banned
I got about 5 hours logged into this now. In chapter 1, running around the outskirts of Vizma doing quests and I have some questions:

1. Is there fast travel in this game? If not is there a mod that adds it? All this "go talk to person A on one side of the map, then go talk to person B on the other side, then go talk to person A again on the other side...lotta running and it kind of wears down on me.

2. Is there a way to move faster if there isn't fast travel? Or a mod that increases your running speed?

3. I failed a quest (
Random event of bar waitress about to get raped, I step in to save her and 1/2 second after the battle starts against her pursuers I get a message pop up that she's died and I've failed the quest
) but it's still sitting in my active quests log...wtf

4. What are some good upgrades to get when leveling up? So far I'm just getting the basic strength/dex/intelligence 1/2 and the support stuff that lets me pick herbs, find out about monsters, etc... Not sure what combat upgrades I should grab.

5. Is it just me or is the translation a little iffy. I'm playing in Polish w/English subs and about a quarter of the time I have no idea what they are saying. The dialogues don't flow like they should in English and can be really hard to follow.

6. Also how much of this carries into W2? Does failing a little quest like the one above or not doing a small sidequest have consequences for W2? There's so many quests and some seem quite buggy (like above), so in order to not go crazy I feel like I just want to do the ones that I can as I go through the story.

Van Buren

Bebpo said:
I got about 5 hours logged into this now. In chapter 1, running around the outskirts of Vizma doing quests and I have some questions:

1. Is there fast travel in this game? If not is the a mod that adds it? All this "go talk to person A on one side of the map, then go talk to person B on the other side, then go talk to person A again on the other side...lotta running and it kind of wears down on me.

2. Is there a way to move faster if there isn't fast travel? Or a mod that increases your running speed?

3. I failed a quest (
Random event of bar waitress about to get raped, I step in to save her and 1/2 second after the battle starts against her pursuers I get a message pop up that she's died and I've failed the quest

4. What are some good upgrades to get when leveling up? So far I'm just getting the basic strength/dex/intelligence 1/2 and the support stuff that lets me pick herbs, find out about monsters, etc... Not sure what combat upgrades I should grab.

5. Is it just me or is the translation a little iffy. I'm playing in Polish w/English subs and about a quarter of the time I have no idea what they are saying. The dialogues don't flow like they should in English and can be really hard to follow.
1. You do get fast-travel during the end of ACT 2, but it's not very useful for running around a single map. Just gather as many quests as you can and complete them all in a single circuit.

2. I think a mod for the running speed was linked here a few pages back.

3. Try reloading one of the numerous autosaves to redo that quest. You can end up failing quests in this game, but thankfully, they are few in number.

4. Get the Aard 'knockdown' talent asap. Then you can focus on the standard strength + swords build. Igni + intelligence can make the game trivial though.

5. The dialog is a lot more 'dense' at first than the standard Bioware stuff - you come across strongly opinionated characters who rarely take the time to act as an info-dump. I certainly had to infer a lot based on the dialog. In the end, it's quite memorable.

6. Playing this game before Witcher 2 will help you understand the world and character motivations in the second game better. The actual significance of completing the first game is not too great in terms of decisions that carry over though.

That said, you are still at the beginning of Chapter 1, which is still an extended tutorial. The pacing is very much like a standard fantasy novel, where the action does not heat up until the end of Chapter 2. Allow the game to immerse you, and it's a great ride that keeps improving as it goes along. This is especially so if you like games like Alpha Protocol which focus on Choice and Consequence.

Inkwell

Banned
Bebpo said:

1. Is there fast travel in this game? If not is there a mod that adds it? All this "go talk to person A on one side of the map, then go talk to person B on the other side, then go talk to person A again on the other side...lotta running and it kind of wears down on me.

3. I failed a quest (

6. Also how much of this carries into W2? Does failing a little quest like the one above or not doing a small sidequest have consequences for W2? There's so many quests and some seem quite buggy (like above), so in order to not go crazy I feel like I just want to do the ones that I can as I go through the story.
I'm not sure about what carries over to the second game since I haven't started it yet, but I'll try to answer some of your other questions.

1. There's really no fast travel except in chapters 2 and 3, and even then it's quite limited.

2. The fastest way to get around is to pull out your sword and go into the fast style. You can't pull out a weapon unless you're in a battle or it's night time when monsters spawn.

3. I remember that quest being somewhat difficult. If you aren't going to retry the quest, I'm sure it will clear out of your quest log once the next chapter starts.

4. I was really nervous about what stats to upgrade as well. What you're doing right now is fine, but you may want to upgrade the aard sign once you get it so you can knockdown and stun enemies. It can be pretty useful during a specific fight in chapter 1. Unfortunately I didn't know about this on my playthrough. The most important signs to upgrade are aard and igni. You really don't need to worry about the other signs, although quen might be slightly useful for one specific quest very late (in fact, near the end) of the game, but you will reach a point where you won't care where to put your bronze points. At that point I would put them in quen.

5. I think I see where you're coming from, but I didn't have too much difficulty with the dialogue.

A quick update on my FCR run: it's fucking hard. I'm currently trying to clear some Graveir's out of a guy's basement and so far I've managed to kill one of four before the rest of them destroy me, and that's just a lucky Aard execution. It took me about an hour of attempts to kill the Archspore in the swamp, because I didn't have Quen or any oils which would help with him.

Some of the changes to the core game are really interesting. Yrden is a DPS boost even if you don't talent it that way, Axii has been removed and replaced with Heliotrope. Quen and Heliotrope are both shields, except that Quen now only shields against physical damage and Heliotrope shields against magic/poison/acid. And you can attack when you have a shield up, but the effectiveness of shields in general has been diminished substantially.

So yeah it's pretty awesome. If you enjoyed the difficulty of the second game I can highly recommend it.

I just finished it. I have some questions.

1. Is Alvin the Grand Master?

2. Am I supposed to recognize the ninja assassin at the end?
3. Are any of the extra adventures worth playing? Do they have good stories? I like the gameplay of The Witcher, but I don't think I want to play them if they're just "kill 10 of these" quests with a "new character".

Zomba13

Oni Link 666 said:

3. Are any of the extra adventures worth playing? Do they have good stories? I like the gameplay of The Witcher, but I don't think I want to play them if they're just "kill 10 of these" quests with a "new character".

1. Maybe, maybe not. There has been no word either way from the devs (according to the wiki)

2. Nope, but you should notice something odd about
his eyes

3. No clue about the extra adventures.

Van Buren

Oni Link 666 said:

(ENDING SPOILER)
1. Yes, even though there isn't 100 % concrete evidence. Ponder this - were the hasty life lessons you imparted to Alvin in Chapter 4 responsible for shaping the personality of the Grand Master in Chapters 5 and beyond ? If so, are Geralt's actions in Chapter 4 responsible for the Grand Master enlisting Salamandra to attack the Witcher base in the prologue ? i.e., is the entire game a result of Geralt's hasty actions in Chapter 4 ?

This is another fun thing to think about - If the Grand Master's visions are true, has Geralt doomed the world ? Only Abigail tells Geralt that Alvin's visions might not be entirely accurate, but we never know the extent to which this holds.

2. Regarding the assassin, just know that he is a Witcher based on his colored eyes.

3. Give The Price of Neutrality a try. It's short, and provides backstory for a character in the second game. Might as well know everything possible before starting the second game.

Helmholtz

Just finished, liked it a lot. The
final chase scene sort of dragged imo
, but it all paid off well. Interestingly enough
I never thought Alvin might be the grandmaster, even when the pendant was revealed to be on the grandmaster's person. But I had forgotten that Alvin can time travel which makes it a possibility. Pretty neat considering I felt the importance of the Grandmaster seemed sort of sudden and forced, but if he's in fact Alvin that makes it much more interesting.
The ending cinematic was insanely badass.
I have to admit I had a bit of a herp-derp moment, because when the mask was taken off I was trying so hard to recognize the person and didn't even pay attention to the eyes

Looking forward to TW2.

Bebpo

Banned
In chapter 1 after the Reverend gives you the ring and you need to go talk to the three people and the tutorial pops up about showing rings to people:

Each person I go up to, they say "did the reverend send you? I don't believe you" and you have the option to show your ring and I click it and there is a little cinema of him showing the ring...and then nothing happens. It just drops me back to standing in front of the guy and when I click talk on him I get the same dialogue options and I can keep showing the ring and nothing happens. So far I've had to just bribe the guys with money. Is my game glitching? Do I not have the right ring equipped? (my inventory has NO RING item, just a silver ring equipped on one of my hands, I don't remember if it was there before I talked to the reverend). I've tried talking to the reverend again to see if somehow I didn't receive the item he was talking about but there's no dialogue option for it and there's no objects standing around where he is so it's not like I dropped it. I'm confused.

Bebpo

Banned
wtf, he said he was giving it to me after I did the "light the 5 chapels" quest but it's not in my inventory.

ugh, bugs; I hate them. Going to have to redo like an hour now :(

I bought the game a few days ago and I'm in the middle of chapter 3 now. Faced my first reall challenge (playing on medium) in chapter 3 during the
Bank robbery
. That fight was a lot of fun :) Loving it so far.

Just one thing. It crashes randomly, like the first time I played it during the fighting tutorials it just crashed. In chapter 2 for a while it would crash every time I meditated and after an auto-save the crashing went away. Only happened a few times but it's damn annoying and I've resorted to quick saving every couple minutes :\

Bebpo said:
wtf, he said he was giving it to me after I did the "light the 5 chapels" quest but it's not in my inventory.

ugh, bugs; I hate them. Going to have to redo like an hour now :(

Did you check the quest item specific part of your inventory?

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah it's not there in the quest inventory :\

I also ran through various old autosaves and apparently when he gives it to you is when you first meet him and accept some quests? That's sooooooooooooooooo far back in my game.

Do you actually need the ring for anything other than these 3 guys in the game? Because I already took care of 2 with bribes and if I can just bribe the 3rd guy and keep moving forward I'd rather do that. Sure it costs me 300+ but whatever; better than 2 hours of replaying a game because of a glitch.

Oni Link 666 said:
It says in that page that there's another way to get it. You might want to check a vendor to see if you sold it too.

Yeah, but it's pretty vague about who has it :(

Bebpo

Banned
Ended up finding the beggar and getting the ring. I got to what I assume is the boss of the first chapter.
The Beast
and the fight starts and 5 seconds later I'm dead and have to go through all the cutscene choices again each time.

*edit: nm, beat him. Read about how to get pre-potions going before the fight, which helped.

LOL. Was walking around with the
druids
in chap 2 when I heard one of them whistle the Star Wars Imperial March tune :D

Any other easter eggs in in there?

DKehoe

I know I risk being completely scorned for this but how easy is the easy difficulty on enhanced edition? Seeing The Witcher 2 has made me interested to play this but more for the story, choices and dialogue than the actual gameplay. Can I more or less steamroll through combat if I play on easy?

DKehoe said:
I know I risk being completely scorned for this but how easy is the easy difficulty on enhanced edition? Seeing The Witcher 2 has made me interested to play this but more for the story, choices and dialogue than the actual gameplay. Can I more or less steamroll through combat if I play on easy?
I'm playing on normal, and I haven't had much problem. The only challenging things have been when I was still trying to remember to use signs or when I would encounter a new enemy and not know how to approach it.

Playing on easy should be a breeze, though.

Its pretty easy compared to say, NWN. Spam Igni to win.

Edit: Absolutely brilliant game BTW. Enjoying this far more than Dragon Age Origins for instance. Its definitely less binary moral choices, far less "good vs evil" in-your-face pseudo-moralizing.

I really enjoyed being forced to think about my choices in Chap 1 and 2. And I'm sure theres a lot more to come.

gdt

Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn, dunno what to do in the big choice (I guess) in Chapter IV. I wanna stick neutral....but that seems like such a cowards way dammit.

Just got the chapter 4 yesterday.

I really love the game, but damn it crashes SO MUCH ;_;
First chapter I had no crash, Second chapter got 2 or 3, Third was FULL of crashes :( And I already had one when trying to get the boat in ch4.

Crashes when saving are the worst ones as the save is obliterated in the process. I have to play alternatively with multiple frequent saves so I don't lose my progress too much.

gdt

Weird, haven't had any problems with this game at all. Crashed 1, and frame drops are a bit regular in this part of the game, but no biggie.

OK, I am at the beginning of chapter 2 right after
I regained my freedom
the game definitely gets better and better, I can't believe I didn't play this game when it came out back in 2007~2008?.
Can't wait to finish this and jump straight into The Witcher 2, it's gonna take a while though, my gaming time is very limited.

Top Bottom