• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Zzoram

Linkzg said:
dont envy it, my computer has all sorts of problems.

like, in some games there are terrible artifacting problems (HL2+episodes, Portal) but in others there arent any (TF2, Crysis, some others). I hope The Witcher doesnt have any artifacting problems.

I eventually will build a new PC around when Fallout 3 comes out.

Artifacting? Are you overclocking? Artifacting usually happens when the core clock speed is pushed too high. Textures messing up (going pink/purple) is from video RAM overheating.

Zzoram

Apparently this game is like Oblivion in that indoor framerate is often silky smooth but step outside and you'll have 1/4 the framerate (only during the day, probably due to the lighting). Of course if your indoor framerate is 120fps then you're ok :lol

Zzoram said:
Artifacting? Are you overclocking? Artifacting usually happens when the core clock speed is pushed too high. Textures messing up (going pink/purple) is from video RAM overheating.

no overclocking or anything like that.

it is mildy annoying, mainly just because its confusing to why it only happens to some games and not all, this is basically how it looked like in episode 1: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/swaggaz/ep1_citadel_030000.jpg

EviLore said:
Yeah I know, it's gamerankings, but it still kinda blows my mind to sort the top rated PC games this year, scroll towards the bottom, and see that above The Witcher. So allow me to vent:

normally there isnt one person or site to blame, but in this case it is clear.

vesp

Hoping Frys or GoGamer or something runs a sale for this soon, I'm really interested but have probably overspent my fall/winter budget by 200% already.

Zzoram

I thought Jade Empire was still a good game, why all the hate? Just because it was overrated doesn't mean it was garbage.

Zzoram

Linkzg said:

it is mildy annoying, mainly just because its confusing to why it only happens to some games and not all, this is basically how it looked like in episode 1: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/swaggaz/ep1_citadel_030000.jpg

holy crap :lol

I'm not even sure what that is, it doesn't look like the artifacting from overclocking, or vram over heating.

Zzoram

MickeyKnox said:
I approve of the thread title change, it's gonna come down to this or Crysis for my Goty pick, it'll be a hard decision.

Crysis is nice, the graphics are physics are cool, open ended like Farcry with pretty decent AI, but The Witcher is a better game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Since Mass Effect is my last purchase until after the holidays I'll probably get The Witcher for Christmas. It does sound really great though I hope that whoe impossible boss thing that they talked about on GFW is a little overblown. Do you need that Stun skill or else you are toast?

Zzoram

HK-47 said:
Since Mass Effect is my last purchase until after the holidays I'll probably get The Witcher for Christmas. It does sound really great though I hope that whoe impossible boss thing that they talked about on GFW is a little overblown. Do you need that Stun skill or else you are toast?

I don't know, but the main complaints I've seen for the game are long load times between areas (10-15 seconds). In a world with streaming technology, even 10 second load times seem too long for some people.

Zzoram

bathala said:
i wish this game comes out for 360. I wanna play the game, but my laptop is crap

CD Projekt RED is hiring Xbox 360 programmers as we speak. It would seem that they either intend to do a port to Xbox 360 or are developing a future game (possibly The Witcher 2) for PC and Xbox 360. It would make sense, as many PC developers have come to realize that Xbox 360 ports are quick and easy (providing the game's controls are not exceedingly complex on the PC), and can double their sales numbers, giving them the cash they need to keep franchises alive.

Chrono

Banned
I just bought a copy (uncensored version, from ebay). I'll get around to playing it and a lot of other games in about 10 days or so, too busy right now.

Will I be able to run it on max settings at 1680x1050 with these specs? Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GT, Vista 64.

bathala

Banned
Zzoram said:
CD Projekt RED is hiring Xbox 360 programmers as we speak. It would seem that they either intend to do a port to Xbox 360 or are developing a future game (possibly The Witcher 2) for PC and Xbox 360. It would make sense, as many PC developers have come to realize that Xbox 360 ports are quick and easy (providing the game's controls are not exceedingly complex on the PC), and can double their sales numbers, giving them the cash they need to keep franchises alive.
OMG! PLS let it happen. straight port with 360 control and better loading.

I need my next Oblivion-like experience

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chrono said:
I just bought a copy (uncensored version, from ebay). I'll get around to playing it and a lot of other games in about 10 days or so, too busy right now.

Will I be able to run it on max settings and 1680x1050? My specs are Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GT, Vista 64.

Yes. Settings maxed, no AA (doesn't really need it for this at high res, I left it off @ 1080p), full AF, you should be fine.

Zzoram

bathala said:

Fallout 3 is also coming to Xbox 360, made by Bethesda on the Oblivion engine so it is bound to have similarities, much to the chagrin of long time Fallout fans.

Mass Effect is also a good action-RPG, at least take a look at some gameplay if you don't already have it.

Zzoram said:
Crysis is nice, the graphics are physics are cool, open ended like Farcry with pretty decent AI, but The Witcher is a better game.
Crysis is pretty fucking amazing actually, advances it's genre in awesome ways, and has a kickass multiplayer, but it doesn't finish as strong as it could have. The Witcher is awesome as a game but buggy as hell, I had some serious, serious crashing issues in Chapter 4 that if the game hadn't grabbed me as well as it did I would have just stopped trying to play it.

I really can't decide, but I'm lucky to have gotten two games so good that I find myself in this situation.
bathala said:

This game is *NOT* like Oblivion.

Anyone got the collector's edition? I'm thinking of buying it but I would like some insight on how good is it.
bathala said:

Witcher's nothing like Oblivion, the it reminds me a lot of the old PC RPGs with a touch of Diablo. That's the best comparison I can give from the top of my head.

Souther

Banned
Linkzg said:

I'm getting the same thing in the Witcher aswell..And i am not sure why. The only thing i can think of is because i have an integrated videoccard. Or maybe it effects ATI users?

Does not happen in any other game though so far.

Souther said:
I'm getting the same thing in the Witcher aswell..And i am not sure why. The only thing i can think of is because i have an integrated videoccard. Or maybe it effects ATI users?

Does not happen in any other game though so far.

ah shit then, I was hoping this would be one of the games that didnt have this problem.

im gonna install it later tonight and hope it isnt too bad.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Okay, here we go: I'm getting an 8800GT for my Core 2 Duo machine in the next week or so. I like RPG's like Diablo, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind/Oblivion.

Should I buy this game? And how's the performance?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Chiggs said:
Okay, here we go: I'm getting an 8800GT for my Core 2 Duo machine in the next week or so. I like RPG's like Diablo, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind/Oblivion.

Yes, you should buy it. Your new machine will run it great. Q6600, 8800GT, 4gb, blah blah blah here and I can get triple digit fps sometimes with all options fully cranked. Outdoors it's 50-80fps with occasional dips into 30's when the screen is crowded.

Nice title change EviLore, and I'm totally with you in that this is my GOTY hands down. This is the game I never knew I wanted so badly. I certainly hope it comes to the consoles so others can enjoy it. Word of mouth seems to be getting it into more gamers' hands, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, it's basically one of the best ARPGs I've ever played, and certainly among the deepest.

Big Nate said:
Yes, you should buy it. Your new machine will run it great. Q6600, 8800GT, 4gb, blah blah blah here and I can get triple digit fps sometimes with all options fully cranked. Outdoors it's 50-80fps with occasional dips into 30's when the screen is crowded.

Just out of curiousity, do you do anything in particular to get more performance out of your 4gb of ram? I have 4gb and vista 64 but afaict it's not doing much for me.

syllogism

Chiggs said:

Yes, just don't dismiss it based on the first 60 minutes or even act 1.

Souther

Banned
Linkzg said:
ah shit then, I was hoping this would be one of the games that didnt have this problem.

im gonna install it later tonight and hope it isnt too bad.

Do you have an integrated VC aswell? Maybe the new patch will fix this somehow...But i believe a decent VC would probably run this game without the problem i seem to have in The Witcher and you in HL2 EP1

Zzoram

So I bought the game, and it turns out there is no CD key included to all the bilingual manual Canadian editions of this game :lol

Everyone has to e-mail Atari support for a CD key. Luckily, it lets you play the game without it, but you need it to access their premium forums and SDK for modding, so it's something only a small fraction of people will care about but still, Atari dropped the ball on this one.

Tokubetsu

Witcher in need of money! I'm trying to raise my dice skill from novice to professional. Does anyone have a list of all the dice players in Act 2?

Zzoram

I'd like to report that The Witcher is playable on a 6800 256mb and 2gb ram at mostly Med settings, 0xaa 4xaf, Low grass, High textures, Low shadows at 1440x900 resolution.

The game autodetects your LCD resolution but also defaults all your settings to High so be careful, I didn't notice and started the game and the opening in-game cutscene ran like a slideshow :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
Just out of curiousity, do you do anything in particular to get more performance out of your 4gb of ram? I have 4gb and vista 64 but afaict it's not doing much for me.

No, not really. What processor do you use, at what mhz? I haven't done much other than overclocking my cpu, my ram is underclocked at 667mhz.

Here's some more pics to get the fence-sitters to purchase:

7xkfj7q.jpg

8dz3bf9.jpg

72st5hg.jpg

Sylar

Banned
Someone should take some pictures of the game on low settings so I can tell if it's worth it or not on low :p.

Vaporak

Sylar said:
Someone should take some pictures of the game on low settings so I can tell if it's worth it or not on low :p.

Why would a game with great design, game play, and story suddenly not be worth playing just because it doesn't look as pretty as it could?

Vaporak

I just finished the game instead of studying for my finals, and the awesome ending just kicked this game up to being my GOTY pick. :D I've got a question though about the very end:

During the ending FMV, when you take the mask off of the assassin, who's it supposed to be? I didn't recognize whoever it was, and it seems odd to just leave the game at an attempted assassination on the king.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Vaporak said:
I just finished the game instead of studying for my finals, and the awesome ending just kicked this game up to being my GOTY pick. :D I've got a question though about the very end:

During the ending FMV, when you take the mask off of the assassin, who's it supposed to be? I didn't recognize whoever it was, and it seems odd to just leave the game at an attempted assassination on the king.

The main things you can discern are his eyes. Eyes of a witcher.

BaneDrain

This game looks amazing, could someone give me a rough idea of how this game will run on my rig? Here's my specs:

Windows XP
2 Processors running Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 Ghz
3.21 Ghz performance rated at 4.81 Ghz
2 Gig of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS

Thanks.

Zzoram

BaneDrain said:
This game looks amazing, could someone give me a rough idea of how this game will run on my rig? Here's my specs:

Windows XP
2 Processors running Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 Ghz
3.21 Ghz performance rated at 4.81 Ghz
2 Gig of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS

Thanks.

It'll run very well. I'm playing with a 6800 256mb and it runs ok at mostly medium 1440x900 with 0xAA. This game doesn't need AA at higher resolutions I find. 2GB RAM is especially important, the Windows Task Manager says it's using 1.3gb RAM right now.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
MickeyKnox said:
You should go get the named sword in the swamp.

I got that this morning! It's very nice, though it took some work, those wyverns are tough. It looks like Harvall is better than the 3xBlue Meteor sword, so I guess I'll just hang onto the blue stones I have. I had been saving up 600 orens to have the sword forged, but Harvall kinda makes that moot.

Oh, I also bedded a Dryad. I feel like such a man!

Big Nate said:
I got that this morning! It's very nice, though it took some work, those wyverns are tough. It looks like Harvall is better than the 3xBlue Meteor sword, so I guess I'll just hang onto the blue stones I have. I had been saving up 600 orens to have the sword forged, but Harvall kinda makes that moot.

Oh, I also bedded a Dryad. I feel like such a man!

There's also a nice Assassin's Dagger on a corpse somewhere.

And what do you have to do to bed the Dryad? I talked to her about all the topics but it never went anywhere.

BeeDog

Tokubetsu said:
Woah woah woah. How do you get the named sword in the swamp and can you do it if you're already in Act 3?

Any time you have access to the swamp, you can get it. But if I remember correctly, instead of regular wyverns like in Act 2, you'll have to face many Royal Wyverns instead, and they are harder.

Confidence Man said:
There's also a nice Assassin's Dagger on a corpse somewhere.

And what do you have to do to bed the Dryad? I talked to her about all the topics but it never went anywhere.
It's during a quest when searching for a bricker child, there should pop up a question about baby dryads or something.

Vaporak

Tokubetsu said:
Woah woah woah. How do you get the named sword in the swamp and can you do it if you're already in Act 3?

Yes you can, I didn't find it until then either. It's on a dead body on an island in the north west of the swamp. Watch out for the Wyverns, there's a bunch of them and a named one you can get a bounty from.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I just picked this game up at Best Buy, but I'm going to wait to play it until my 8800GT comes in next week.

One thing that surprised me is how, well, healthy the pc games section at Best Buy looked. It was stocked to the brim with new, high quality games, and the section itself seems to have grown. I was quite shocked. Are we looking at a comeback here?

Top Bottom