• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

mclem

man...
spoiler tag
, the thread.

I get it, but I'm scared of reading anything. I'm going to assume a lot of things gets repeated in here?

Yeah.

Is there space to have a discussion about a 'safe' nomenclature so we can at least supply enough information outside of spoiler tags to make it clearer what spoiler tags a reader still working their way through the game can safely read?

Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to do that when a bunch of people have finished the game, and I suspect most of us are still way off that!

Could someone explain the
pillar/moss puzzle in the village area for me?

I figured that you had to map the path where there is no moss growing on the ground.
Well I did that, drew it paint, tried to use route on the panel, apparently that was wrong.

edit - isn't it possible to zoom out somehow? think i saw someone do it in a video for the game once?

Think back to the hedge mazes. Didn't you enter the maze, go through it and then solve the puzzle board? hmmm

Ansatz

Surprised by the sheer amount of players looking for support and ultimately solutions for the puzzles throughout the game here on GAF. Given the game is designed with discoverability being its forefront pleasure, and GAF is typically quite a hardcore bunch, I wonder if the non-GAF gaming mass will look for guides and instruction en-mass too and how that'll impact the games reception/enjoyment.

Forget guides, people are watching live streams of the game. I feel sorry for the viewers who will miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience the game properly.

Just start a new game file and you'll see what I mean. Once you know the ins and outs the game is reduced to a virtual painting.

N30RYU

Okay... I'm definitely missing something fundamental on this one:

qpj7VZs.jpg

This game is so strange... I'll sometimes look at a puzzle and immediately understand the solution. Other times it looks so simple yet my brain fails to see it.
http://i.imgur.com/j4httVm.jpg

Symtendo

First time I heard about this game was today. To anyone that's seen the show LOST, are their any similarities? I understand it's an Island mystery but if it feels a little like LOST I'll almost certainly pick it up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I have
7 lasers
but I still haven't done the quarry (nearly done), swamp or castle. Will try those first before
heading up the mountain again

Also found 3 drawings of the
hexagons. I don't know if they play out in the same order regardless of which ones you find, but the second one for me was a woman - is that a real thing or an actor for the game? Third one was a clip from a movie

Trickster

Think back to the hedge mazes. Didn't you enter the maze, go through it and then solve the puzzle board? hmmm

No I didn't, I solved the first hedge maze puzzle by pure chance, didn't understand it, but I think I do now.

Still, are you saying that the
moss
is completely irrelevant to solving that puzzle? Seems like annoying bit of missdirection if so :/

First time I heard about this game was today. To anyone that's seen the show LOST, are their any similarities? I understand it's an Island mystery but if it feels a little like LOST I'll almost certainly pick it up.

It has a Lost feel. I'm a big fan of the show and the mix of the island, puzzles, not knowing definitely reminded me of Lost. One could only hope of a tie in...maybe a hatch or something :)

Auctopus

Doing the elevator/bunker puzzles, I'm good until I get to the broke wire.
I don't understand whether this is a progression or puzzle issue. I'm answering it fine but it won't give me it.

Kaisos

Wondering about something...
I just lit the desert beacon, but it's not pointing at the mountain...
is that going to cause trouble for me later, or....

Tainted

You have to deflect it back to the mountain.....follow the path of where it is currently pointing, it is fairly obvious what you need to do

Does anybody know how you're supposed to solve the fourth hedge maze in the castle? I figured out the first three easily enough but had to brute force the last one.

Anyway, 6 hours in and 180 +8, so I feel pretty good about myself. :)

zsynqx

Hint
Follow the laser to see where it goes and you may find something to redirect it.

I think I have
7 lasers
but I still haven't done the quarry (nearly done), swamp or castle. Will try those first before
heading up the mountain again

Also found 3 drawings of the
hexagons. I don't know if they play out in the same order regardless of which ones you find, but the second one for me was a woman - is that a real thing or an actor for the game? Third one was a clip from a movie

You cracked the village? I'm am so fucking clueless there :p

Done 6
Lasers
. Currently on the bamboo forest. Quarry was fairly simple for me.

ldcommando

Banned
Does anybody know how you're supposed to solve the fourth hedge maze in the castle? I figured out the first three easily enough but had to brute force the last one.

maze doesn't exactly match the panel but the correct path does.

*Splinter

Doing the elevator/bunker puzzles, I'm good until I get to the broke wire.
I don't understand whether this is a progression or puzzle issue. I'm answering it fine but it won't give me it.
I accidentally brute-forced that one :/
Apparently you are supposed to
notice that the room above is green, and then solve the puzzle as if it were under a green light. I don't know if there's a way to see what it would look like or your just supposed to know how to add/subtract colours??
So yeah kind of glad I lucked through it.

StaSeb

The one seen als bottom left from up the tower?
Compare the shape of the hedge-maze and of the puzzle-maze on the door at the end.
Think about it and have an epiphany.

Auctopus

notice that the room above is green, and then solve the puzzle as if it were under a green light. I don't know if there's a way to see what it would look like or your just supposed to know how to add/subtract colours??

Damn, that's exactly what I thought you were meant to do but I can't figure out how'd you do that.

*Splinter

In addition:
I guess all the rows of plants around the building show how colours combine, and maybe it is simpler than I'm thinking, but fuuuuck that

MBison

the panel doesn't match the maze except for one path

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The diagonal Tetris pieces confuse me. Not the
'slightly tilted' ones, there are ones that are fully diagonal. Do they count as non-rotatable? So you'd have to mesh the with one other block right?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

This took me a bit, but I realized after trying a few routes that the puzzle didn't match the hedge maze this time, except for one path(the answer).

No I didn't, I solved the first hedge maze puzzle by pure chance, didn't understand it, but I think I do now.

Still, are you saying that the
moss
is completely irrelevant to solving that puzzle? Seems like annoying bit of missdirection if so :/

The moss on the ground is totally relevant you're right about that. But imagine if the gate with the puzzle board was closed and you had to solve the puzzle it to open it (like the hedge mazes). That leaves only one valid entrance to the maze. The large circle is the starting point and the nub is the exit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hint
Follow the laser to see where it goes and you may find something to redirect it.

You cracked the village? I'm am so fucking clueless there :p

Done 6
Lasers
. Currently on the bamboo forest. Quarry was fairly simple for me.

Yeah bit by bit. Starting out was tricky as there is a puzzle I'd never seen anywhere else. But going back to it another time it just clicked and it was great. The others are extensions of other areas mostly. If you've done a few areas it's worth going back and revisiting it.

The one seen als bottom left from up the tower?
Compare the shape of the hedge-maze and of the puzzle-maze on the door at the end.
Think about it and have an epiphany.

the panel doesn't match the maze except for one path

maze doesn't exactly match the panel but the correct path does.

Oh, that makes sense. lol. There I was thinking the panel couldn't match the maze less if it tried.

StaSeb

Yeah, I understand what I'm meant to do, I just don't get how you do it. Even with the plants.

It is tricky.
Notice how the colours change from floor to floor?

Also
It seems that colors are added and substracted depending on the room.

So surely
the room above will do the same

And surely Jonathan Blow is not too sadistic with this one.

*Splinter

Question about the Keep, when you get to the top:
I solved the combined maze puzzle and activated the laser. Then I solved the combined floor panel bit and... nothing happened? Anyone know what this is for? Or does either puzzle activate the laser?

zsynqx

Bamboo forest done.. Couple of pictures I just took.

http://i.imgur.com/41Twd2C.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kwiuzjB.jpg

Yeah bit by bit. Starting out was tricky as there is a puzzle I'd never seen anywhere else. But going back to it another time it just clicked and it was great. The others are extensions of other areas mostly. If you've done a few areas it's worth going back and revisiting it.

Doing it now :) Have managed to open one door for the centre structure but it's on the second floor.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You're doing the right thing. Double-check everything.

If you mean the
hedge mazes
then that's the right thing to do, but if you mean the
glass tile mazes
then what you're looking to do isn't the same as you did before. If it's that one, just focus on solving what's in front of you.

Hint for the latter, if you are still stuck:
Leave the black dot to the left, start with the one above.

Thanks guys. I'll check the panel again, must've missed a possible route.

I'm at work and I constantly see panels and line routes in my head

Top Bottom