• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

MBison

Regarding the Tetris again. I'm in the keep doing the floors. I don't get why this solution doesn't work (ignore the random green line at bottom, made that when I tried to take picture) I apologize for being dumb.

Hold on trying to link pic

adz2ka

Straight away, The Witness has already won an award for how long I've deliberated over getting a game. I finally caved in last night.

I started playing around midnight for an hour or so and finished 47 puzzles after stating I would just do the first few to get a feel of things. This game definitely cultivates curiosity.
The was one instance where I managed to solve a puzzle for a door which led to nothing but a pedestal, and another with an electric gate behind the starting area with a harder-than-average puzzle that eventually served as a shortcut to the start.

Both fine examples of how you think your intelligence has the better of the game, then it abruptly brings you back down to earth.

Robiin

Regarding the Tetris again. I'm in the keep doing the floors. I don't get why this solution doesn't work (ignore the random green line at bottom, made that when I tried to take picture)
The straight piece is not rotated correctly.
Also you should link your picture as to not spoil it.

Showed this to my wife and she's considering buying it to play on my brother's PS4 when we visit.

i cant check specs right now but the last game i played on my pc was dead space 3 but that barely ran on my pc. should it be able to run The Witness?

MBison

There is a broken line because of your starting position on that puzzle. Look at the bottom of your picture.
Also you should link your picture as to not spoil it.

I know I made the broken line trying to take the pic, ignore that cause the other part doesn't work either

Again Regarding the Tetris again. I'm in the keep doing the floors. I don't get why this solution doesn't work (ignore the random green line at bottom, made that when I tried to take picture)

http://imgur.com/a/xbLhR

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I know I made the broken line trying to take the pic, ignore that cause the other part doesn't work either

Again Regarding the Tetris again. I'm in the keep doing the floors. I don't get why this solution doesn't work (ignore the random green line at bottom, made that when I tried to take picture)

http://imgur.com/a/xbLhR

You c
an't change the orientation of the I-block, it has to be horizontal!

Wait what?
Two spaces between what? The blocks within the tetris shape or two spaces between the tetris shapes?

To reconfirm, we are talking about the green panel with a big L, a 1x3, and a pair of 1x2s?

If so, the pair of 1x2s must be spaced apart by two.

Ark

How do do you solve
the second door in the quarry? With the two tetris pieces. I get that you're supposed to draw the shape out, but it just keeps telling me I'm wrong. I can't even get into the quarry, Jesus Christ.

zsynqx

How do do you solve
the second door in the quarry? With the two tetris pieces. I get that you're supposed to draw the shape out, but it just keeps telling me I'm wrong. I can't even get into the quarry, Jesus Christ.

Tutorial for tetris puzzles in the swamp.

Robiin

To reconfirm, we are talking about the green panel with a big L, a 1x3, and a pair of 1x2s?

If so, the pair of 1x2s must be spaced apart by two.
Oh sorry, this panel is definitely orange. :)

I think you mean a previous tutorial, which was certainly tricky but I managed to do it. (
The one with two 2x1 in the same block
is the one you mean I think).

How do do you solve

You need to learn about the tetris pieces from another area. This is a huge deal for accessing a lot of places.

However, there is a much easier way into the quarry...

MBison

Does the swamp:

explain tilted Tetris pieces? The last floor puzzle in the keep has tilted Tetris pieces which I didn't encounter before. Can I get a tiny hint?

I have a similar question here. I feel like I missing something with the rules to the Tetris pieces. Like how is the first one correct? I thought you had to create those shapes independent of each other. I don't get how that first one is the solution.

Look at the outline of the shape drawn. In that shape, you can fit 2 1x3s and 1 4x1. That's all that matters. Where they go inside that shape is irrelevant.

zsynqx

Struggling with a
bird puzzle
in the bamboo forest.

I got the first few easy enough by listening to the pitch etc. but got to one where it just doesn't match up with the panel. Is there something else at play that I am missing? Do the sounds other than the birds have any relevance or are they just to put you off?

Wozzer

Surprised by the sheer amount of players looking for support and ultimately solutions for the puzzles throughout the game here on GAF. Given the game is designed with discoverability being its forefront pleasure, and GAF is typically quite a hardcore bunch, I wonder if the non-GAF gaming mass will look for guides and instruction en-mass too and how that'll impact the games reception/enjoyment.

Man I have never been more frustrated at a game and love it at the same time. I keep going back to it, can't put it down and now I see mazes even when i'm not playing. Some of them are getting ridiculously hard. I started doing tetris puzzles before even encountering the tutorial, took a lot out of me to figure out the nuances without the help. I think I am at 177 puzzles completed, but some of these have me absolutely stuck, I hope I can figure enough of them out to at least complete the game.

fastmower

Surprised by the sheer amount of players looking for support and ultimately solutions for the puzzles throughout the game here on GAF. Given the game is designed with discoverability being its forefront pleasure, and GAF is typically quite a hardcore bunch, I wonder if the non-GAF gaming mass will look for guides and instruction en-mass too and how that'll impact the games reception/enjoyment.
Oh, I'm sure.

Auctopus

Not really puzzle help but after the initial 8 Tetris tutorials, there's a last panel with a white wire.

I get the puzzle right and there's a kachunk but nothing happens?

Not really puzzle help but after the initial 8 Tetris tutorials, there's a last panel with a white wire.

I get the puzzle right and there's a kachunk but nothing happens?

A small hint.

There's two wires hanging from that panel, try to get a solution to go towards the other wire.

Does the swamp:

explain tilted Tetris pieces? The last floor puzzle in the keep has tilted Tetris pieces which I didn't encounter before. Can I get a tiny hint?

Yes it does.

If you still want/need a hint
...think of something you can do in tetris that the other puzzles don't let you do :p

No there isn't? Are we talking about the same panel? It's a white going in and a currently blank wire going out.

I believe we are talking about the same one

Gotta get the blank one to the right to become white in order to progress. There's two possible solutions to that puzzle.

Ostinatto

I been playing the game for 8 hours straight with my dad and a bottle of whiskey.

This guy does everything on his head, pretty cool stuff.

BUY THIS GAME if you wanna win lots of son points with your dad. :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Quit yesterday at 75 panels. This game will consume me for days to come, I love it to bits.

I have a question about the maze puzzles I'm doing right now.

I did the 4 regular puzzles, which unlocks the church tower, and now I have to do the big one. The logical solution here would be to connect the 4 paths of the previous puzzles, into 1 big path, but I can't seem to do that. I can only connect 3 mazes, a 4th seems impossible. Am I missing something? Because I'm thinking now that connecting the 4 maybe isn't the solution to this one.

I did the 4 regular puzzles, which unlocks the church tower, and now I have to do the big one. The logical solution here would be to connect the 4 paths of the previous puzzles, into 1 big path, but I can't seem to do that. I can only connect 3 mazes, a 4th seems impossible. Am I missing something? Because I'm thinking now that connecting the 4 maybe isn't the solution to this one.

You're doing the right thing. Double-check everything.

Yes. So I complete the puzzle, there's a kachunk and nothing happens.

Both wires can't be white, you're hearing a kachunk because the platform is already attached. There's another solution that will blank out the left wire and make the right wire white which will move you to the yellow platform to the right of you so you can cross.

So who's been down to the
Projecter room and watched an absolutely crazy FMV? WTF?
Also It blew my mind,
when I found an environment puzzle in the FMV!

Quit yesterday at 75 panels. This game will consume me for days to come, I love it to bits.

I have a question about the maze puzzles I'm doing right now.

If you mean the
hedge mazes
then that's the right thing to do, but if you mean the
glass tile mazes
then what you're looking to do isn't the same as you did before. If it's that one, just focus on solving what's in front of you.

Hint for the latter, if you are still stuck:
Leave the black dot to the left, start with the one above.

Trickster

Could someone explain the
pillar/moss puzzle in the village area for me?

I figured that you had to map the path where there is no moss growing on the ground.
Well I did that, drew it paint, tried to use route on the panel, apparently that was wrong.

edit - isn't it possible to zoom out somehow? think i saw someone do it in a video for the game once?

Stoze

Stopping for the night. I'm at 358 +41 and am just about to finish a 9th area. Actually I basically did a 10th as well, but I can't seem to find where to finish it off at/activate the laser...

Progress is really coming along now that I believe I have every basic concept and symbol taught to me. Doing the town was immensely satisfying. Discovered a couple new things about the island that are pretty interesting as well.

Okay... I'm definitely missing something fundamental on this one:

qpj7VZs.jpg

This game is so strange... I'll sometimes look at a puzzle and immediately understand the solution. Other times it looks so simple yet my brain fails to see it.

Auctopus

I wonder why Blow decided that some panels should deactivate if you get them wrong, requiring you to repeat the previous one. Seems pointless and annoying.

Top Bottom