• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Sulaco

I flew through the bunker section and Im pulling my hair out in the swamp.

Bunker tip :
Back away from the panels and look at them through the coloured glass windows. Also one of them needs to be seen through two different filters/colours.

MBison

Question about the Keep, when you get to the top:
I solved the combined maze puzzle and activated the laser. Then I solved the combined floor panel bit and... nothing happened? Anyone know what this is for? Or does either puzzle activate the laser?

I'm curious about this also. Anyone?

N30RYU

How do I get paint on my phone? I want to draw over camera pictures.. (Galaxy S6)
The smartphone have a paint tool. Go to the gallery. Select the picture and tap the pencil next to the trash. Then scroll the rotate, crop... till you find drawing.

http://i.imgur.com/5ded0rY.jpg

What. WHAT.

I've got an A4 page here of colour wheels and none of this makes sense.
just make the center column.
Each floor adds a new column and extract the one of the last floors so there is inly one or two columns in the puzzle

Auctopus

just make the center column.
Each floor adds a new column and extract the one of the last floors so there is inly one or two columns in the puzzle

I just changed my TV settings to turn off game mode and the colours completely changed. Now what you and everyone's saying makes perfect sense, I'm sorry.

Game mode won't be going on for the rest of the Playthrough.

zsynqx

What is the logic here? Thanks in advance!

Link not working

My two favourites were (no spoilers for solution, just location)
church door - and bonus points for the puzzle inside

the one that looks like nothing you've seen so far :)

Church door
seems impossible with what I know about the
star
symbols. Guess I'll have to re-evaluate how they function

jmartoine

I just changed my TV settings to turn off game mode and the colours completely changed. Now what you and everyone's saying makes perfect sense, I'm sorry.

Game mode won't be going on for the rest of the Playthrough.

I imagine all of the screenshots were very confusing when the colours were completely different.

Robiin

The smartphone have a paint tool. Go to the gallery. Select the picture and tap the pencil next to the trash. Then scroll the rotate, crop... till you find drawing.
It asks me to install some "Pen SDK"... do I need to download that or am I pressing something wrong?

http://i64.************/yj9fa.jpg

What is the logic here? Thanks in advance!

I want to say this is the solution, can't check it right now:
I marked the blocks the hollow pieces remove on the checkers symbol and drew the T block where it would end up. White line is the line you draw of course.

So the point would be that the
hollow pieces can remove blocks that would otherwise go outside the circled area

iFirez

I only got to play for an hour yesterday, got two more beacons/lasers lit though. Can't wait to dive back in tonight after work, planning on tackling the swamp finally after getting trapped there for an while on Tuesday.

Woodchipper

I want to say this is the solution, can't check it right now:
I marked the blocks the hollow pieces remove on the checkers symbol and drew the T block where it would end up. White line is the line you draw of course.

So the point would be that the
hollow pieces can remove blocks that would otherwise go outside the circled area
Thanks, I think I get it now. The funny thing is I managed through the tutorial but I still was confused.

nobode

Neo Member
Does anyone know whether the 700+ puzzle count includes only the panels or the +1 hidden ones too? 'cuz I the just finished the game with
426+24
and I only know of a few panels that I haven't done and I'm wondering whether there's a lot more of them I'm missing somewhere.

Anyway, the game is definitely amazing, but I need some rest now after blasting through the thing.

mclem

I think, after playing it for a fair few hours, there is a criticism that comes to mind - but I'm not entirely sure it's something that necessarily ought to be fixed.

When I solve a Slitherlink puzzle (as an example of a similar sort of puzzle - indeed, there might well be Slitherlinks in TW, but I've not found them yet!), I'm working on the entire grid at once and piecing together information as I go; there must be a line between these two squares, you know there won't be a line here because that'll block off this area - and so, through reiterating the rules, I'll have a patchwork of information that leads to more information and - ultimately - the solution.

There's some puzzle types in TW that could be approached in a similar way. One of the first puzzle types introduced, the
White/Black splits
, for instance; they lend themselves towards forming a patchwork of information that you know is true and allowing you to deduce how the rest of the line works from that. Which is all well and good - except the interface doesn't really give you any tools to work like that. There's no scope for marking arbitrary lines that you know are correct; instead, you always have to work in terms of drawing a line from the start to the finish, which is not as useful a tool for solving the puzzle. Hence, in turn, requiring a shift to paper if you're going to solve a puzzle that way, when the tools to do so could be supplied in the game.

In short: The interface with the game is just a tool to input answers, not a tool to aid solving the puzzles.

That's the argument for. Now the argument against:

There's an elegance to the interface. It's simple, and it's consistent. You don't need much instruction on how to use it - that's basically covered by that very first corridor area - and when you know how to use it, you can use it everywhere you need to without any extra tutorials or explanations.

I think the latter trumps the former, in the end. It's no great hassle shifting to paper - but then, I'm the sort of person who keeps grid paper and note paper to hand (I don't think I've used it since Fez!), and the advantages of the elegance of the interface are pretty huge.

Edit: Actually, on the subject of notepaper: I recall, from a little while back, this thread. When people have finished the game and we have a full-fledged spoiler thread, I'd love to see scans of some people's notes; it always interests me to see how different people approach different problems.

cyba89

There MUST be a huge entirely undiscovered area somewhere.

I assume it´s somewhere underground.

I don't if these
+1 puzzles
count towards the total puzzle count of about 700 or not,
I don't know how many perspective puzzles there are but let's assume there are around six of these black monoliths on the island with 20 shapes on each. If they count I would still miss around 150 puzzles.
Still a lot of mystery around this game. I feel we need a seperate endgame-discussion thread when more people are done with the "main game".

Did anyone already solved
the puzzle on the crashed ship
?

Spent the last hour wandering around from side to side of the island, trying to find a way to progress and to open up new doors. No dice. No shame. Stuck at 443
+100 +1, 5 hexagons

Theodoricos

Sand temple question:
Okay, I'm trying every angle I can, but I can't get the reflection to show on the panel here:

http://i.imgur.com/qk61Wf0.jpg

Can I get a hint about this? Like, do I need to do anything else first? There are two more panels in the room but I can't get any reflection on them either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I spent probably an hour in total on one puzzle up these stairs (excuse potato cam):

n4Gn394h.jpg

And nothing happened. 0_0

I need someone else to tell me they feel my pain.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Couple of random questions

In the quarry, how do you get this to work?
environmental puzzle
http://i.imgur.com/JgVqnu5.jpg
I can
raise the right hand bridge from up there, and opening the door made some of it brighter. But I can't fill the whole circle

What area am I forgetting? I've done
8 now
- village
- quarry
- desert
- island with symmetry puzzles
- bunker/greenhouse
- red temple
- woods with shadows
- treetops

Then I know I have the swamp and castle to do. That makes 10. What's the 11th?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

environmental puzzle
I can
raise the right hand bridge from up there, and opening the door made some of it brighter. But I can't fill the whole circle

8 now
- village
- quarry
- desert
- bunker/greenhouse
- red temple
- woods with shadows
- treetops

edit: lol, misread

cyba89

environmental puzzle
I can

8 now
- village
- quarry
- desert
- bunker/greenhouse
- red temple
- woods with shadows
- treetops

The jungle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I spent probably an hour in total on one puzzle up these stairs (excuse potato cam):

And nothing happened. 0_0

I need someone else to tell me they feel my pain.

Yeah that was a bit odd. While the puzzles didn't seem to do anything, the lights do.

zooL

is it possible i softlocked my save state? it is in the red boat house near the white rock factory. there is a ramp which has to be raised by solving a puzzle, then you go up the ramp and there are a few puzzles in a row. after you solve all these puzzles, the ramp slowly changes its position. i stood there watching the ramp move, however now i am stuck on the platform and the ramp is unreachable. there is a green grate-door thingy which is still closed which blocks my way... i guess this is a bug? or am i overseeing somehing here?

506+119+1
Thought you found the spot :p

Naah, I found two puzzles I accidentaly skipped because they were againsta wall, you're too good, haha. I tried a lot of things:
- going to the bottom of the mountain and following the cables - the black/yellow is the one from the 'box' the guy is holding at the top, the white/yellow leaves the cave through the bottom and I can't find it
- trying different ways to access the blocked house in the town (with the tetris+Dots puzzles). I know there are two panels inside it, and I can see that there was a mechanism to open it (two pulleys, now broken), but no dice. May have something to do with the 4th unwired panel in that row - I also tried to go up the tower and saw a (3+) but I think that's only an easter egg.
- Remembered that I managed to climb into a treetop hut earlier, but now am not able to do it.
- Saw a camera with what looked like a container in the jungle, hoping that it'd lead me to the final hexagon (since the others were also shown in the cameras), can't find it.
- Saw a BUNCH of cameras showing the underground. Tried to solve it through the camera, grasping straws. Nope.

I basically have the entire underground mapped, I just can't access it, and I think I'm missing 3 puzzles on the surface from discussing with some other people.

is it possible i softlocked my save state? it is in the red boat house near the white rock factory. there is a ramp which has to be raised by solving a puzzle, then you go up the ramp and there are a few puzzles in a row. after you solve all these puzzles, the ramp slowly changes its position. i stood there watching the ramp move, however now i am stuck on the platform and the ramp is unreachable. there is a green grate-door thingy which is still closed which blocks my way... i guess this is a bug? or am i overseeing somehing here?

You can solve that panel in multiple ways

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lol, just opened the first
maze in the castle
standing on the top of the stairs. I couldn't even see the panel, just did it by estimating distances :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Clue
Different exits sometimes have different results. Sometimes different routes might too.

Literally
you can move the lifts by drawing the line the other way (up/down)

*Splinter

Find a different solution to the puzzle that moved the ramp

zooL

Clue
Different exits sometimes have different results. Sometimes different routes might too.

Literally
you can move the lifts by drawing the line the other way (up/down)

thank you very much! :) will try it out later! i didn't guess someone would recognize the area based on my description so fast, i thought i would need to provide a screenshot... nice!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Er.. Last time I was in the swamp, I left by boat. Now the bridge is in the wrong place. Do I have to go back by boat now?

thank you very much! :) will try it out later! i didn't guess someone would recognize the area based on my description so fast, i thought i would need to provide a screenshot... nice!

I literally just finished that area so it was fresh in my memory :)

mclem

Er.. Last time I was in the swamp, I left by boat. Now the bridge is in the wrong place. Do I have to go back by boat now?

If I'm understanding the layout of your situation correctly (and there's not a remote control for the bridges that I've missed), I think you do.

That said:

There is a remote control for that first bridge on the other side of it, so there might well be one I've missed at the entrance too; it seems plausible.

Servbot24

Banned
Jeez. I'm to a part where it's clearly trying to teach me a rule set via tutorials and I'm just not getting it. :/

edit: Shit, it's the one you already solved:

Oh man I spoke too soon earlier... This one has me COMPLETELY stumped:

21EMLyr.jpg

How in the world do you box off the center square or combine it with the other pieces?

Please just the smallest of hints.

I think I see now.
You can rearrange any shapes within their combined area.

Top Bottom