• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"finished" the 11 areas, looking forward to heading to the top of the mountain tomorrow. It seems I still have plenty left to do.

There are fairly big spoilers in the following question:

do the in-world lines count toward the overall puzzle count?

Jeez. I'm to a part where it's clearly trying to teach me a rule set via tutorials and I'm just not getting it. :/

edit: Shit, it's the one you already solved:

I think I see now.
You can rearrange any shapes within their combined area.

I also don't understand what this puzzle is trying to teach me. Before crossing the pond there are 3 panels with the same solution but with different locations for the tetrominos, I feel like it's related to this and I also don't know what those 3 panels are trying to teach

mf.luder

I'm about 220 + 20. Loving it. Got a few stumpers I'm working on now but it was a Lon. Day at work yesterday and minimal sleep the night before.

Might only play for a bit tonight, may need a little break.

Loving it.

I'm starting to recognize lots of places for
going in the boat and tracing the lines that go to the black columns.

Bowlie

Banned
Guys, I'd like a hint on this thing I've been stuck on (sand area):

Looks like I have to do something with the sun so that the sun rays hit the panels with a different angle (or do something with the panels themselves).
Then I went to the "sun dial" near the water and realized that, when the little sun is lit up, I can solve a puzzle there. But I don't know how.

Clicking near the little sun creates a little amount of sparkles, while clicking near the boat creates more, but that's all I got. What am I missing?
(I don't want help with the panels, only with the dial)

Again, not a straight-out answer.

chogidogs

What does final puzzle part of the
Tower/Hedges
area unlock? I had the sound turn off so I have no idea what solving that puzzle did.

I basically have the entire underground mapped, I just can't access it, and I think I'm missing 3 puzzles on the surface from discussing with some other people.
It's definitely going to make you feel stupid when you realize what you have to do.

I'm somewhat stumped on a...'series' of puzzles, but solving these complex shaperequests(which I guess everyone just calls tetris) instead feels amazing. Especially the ones with
gaps inside the requested shape
. Colors though, they can go diddle themselves.

I also don't understand what this puzzle is trying to teach me. Before crossing the pond there are 3 panels with the same solution but with different locations for the tetrominos, I feel like it's related to this and I also don't know what those 3 panels are trying to teach
It's a
trick question. The answers are the same. What it should be teaching you is that as long as your outline covers the icon shapes, you are good. You don't even have to cover an icon with it's own shape as long as it's connected.

Looks like I have to do something with the sun so that the sun rays hit the panels with a different angle (or do something with the panels themselves).
Then I went to the "sun dial" near the water and realized that, when the little sun is lit up, I can solve a puzzle there. But I don't know how.

Clicking near the little sun creates a little amount of sparkles, while clicking near the boat creates more, but that's all I got. What am I missing?

You have the right idea, but
stick to the panels for now. The sun dial will make since later when you have a different perspective.

LAA

Stuck on the exact same thing, no idea what to do there either.
Also the door under that area. I believe I sorta understand the mechanics, it's more the blue outlined squares that confuse me and even then, how to actually solve it

EDIT
Oh I forgot, there was a lazer I could reflect with a mirror towards the dark cloud near that area, which I thought may enable something there, but I don't know what its enabled me to do

Kaisos

Does anyone know if the puzzles in the, uh,
secret hotel area
count towards the total? I ask because I'm pretty sure there's no way to access that place after you've beaten the opening area.

It's definitely going to make you feel stupid when you realize what you have to do.

I'm somewhat stumped on a...'series' of puzzles, but solving these complex shaperequests(which I guess everyone just calls tetris) instead feels amazing. Especially the ones with
gaps inside the requested shape
. Colors though, they can go diddle themselves.

I'm already feeling pretty stupid right now, haha.

Stuck on the exact same thing, no idea what to do there either.
Also the door under that area. I believe I sorta understand the mechanics, it's more the blue outlined squares that confuse me and even then, how to actually solve it
Don't worry about the door. If a puzzle is introducing you new shapes/icons when it's also mixed with another type, you most likely have not gone through the right places to understand their ruleset.

mercviper

Did I softlock myself?

I've unlocked 7 lasers and
underground I sent down an elevator when I wasn't on it, and I don't think it's coming back :x http://i.imgur.com/p6aH2Rn.png Since I don't know how to force saves if I rewind back to the last auto save I lose ~80 puzzles and this last section was way too headache inducing for me to really want to do it again.

I posted this earlier but I'm still stumped.

Question about this puzzle, in the town area, right past the dock where you can use the boat.

screenshot

If I have done most of the swamp "Tetris" puzzles and plenty of puzzles involving the black and white cubes, should I be able to solve this? Or is there anything else I need to know?
If I'm good to go, a hint at which direction I should start drawing the line would be appreciated.

Any hints? It seems so obvious yet I cannot figure it out .

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this earlier but I'm still stumped.

Any hints? It seems so obvious yet I cannot figure it out .

"You're definitely overthinking it". It's the best hint I can give. :p

There isn't any rule that says all those parts need to be combined into one section...

LAA

Don't worry about the door. If a puzzle is introducing you new shapes/icons when it's also mixed with another type, you most likely have not gone through the right places to understand their ruleset.

I think I have as they are all familar. The blue outlined squares, from what I understand, take one away from a yellow tetronimo, but I don't understand how it's possible to do with having to fill in all the black hexagons too

I figured out the
+ stuff
almost immediately which is a bummer because it wasn't as mind blowing as I bet it could have been

Mistle

Spent awhile solving the huge puzzle on top of the castle tower (not the side with the hedge mazes) and.. nothing happened? I know there are more puzzles in this game than required to finish it, but it felt like and important one. Ah well lol. Guess I should have known that I'd already gotten the light beam in that area.

Been doing fairly well with the game, but finally had to give up a puzzle that I seemingly could solve (i.e. didn't need a tutorial), but couldn't figure out. It's the one in the "treehouse area" or whatever,
probably the final puzzle before the laser, where you have to open the door but it's on a timer.
Don't tell me the solution obviously, I'll work it out somehow :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Spent awhile solving the huge puzzle on top of the castle tower (not the side with the hedge mazes) and.. nothing happened? I know there are more puzzles in this game than required to finish it, but it felt like and important one. Ah well lol. Guess I should have known that I'd already gotten the light beam in that area.

Been doing fairly well with the game, but finally had to give up a puzzle that I seemingly could solve (i.e. didn't need a tutorial), but couldn't figure out. It's the one in the "treehouse area" or whatever,
seemingly the final puzzle before the laser, where you have to open the door but it's on a timer.
Don't tell me the solution obviously, I'll work it out somehow :p

Hah, the solution to this one will make you feel like an idiot.

Atrophis

I worked on that last night and this morning. Was so satisfied when I solved it and disappointed nothing happened. Or more likely we haven't yet figured out what that panel affects.

I worked on that last night and this morning. Was so satisfied when I solved it and disappointed nothing happened. Or more likely we haven't yet figured out what that panel affects.

You probably already had the laser for the castle: you only needed to solve one of them.

OmniNom

Neo Member
Did I softlock myself?

I've unlocked 7 lasers and
underground I sent down an elevator when I wasn't on it, and I don't think it's coming back :x http://i.imgur.com/p6aH2Rn.png Since I don't know how to force saves if I rewind back to the last auto save I lose ~80 puzzles and this last section was way too headache inducing for me to really want to do it again.

I did the same thing and it turned out fine. No softlock here.
When you manage to walk through that door, the elevator will slowly rise to your location.

*Splinter

Are any puzzles "missable"?

I saw someone mention a "secret hotel area" at the very start that can't be returned to... is that right? Do I need to start again to get these? Are there any other area like this?

Why would there be missable areas in an exploration game though? That sounds completely stupid

Top Bottom