• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Tregard

Soothsayer
How is using the mouse for the line puzzles? I'm on PS4 at the moment and it takes a while to get used to using the analogue stick for it. It's funny, this sort of this would have been perfect for the WiiU Gamepad.

Atrophis

These fucking + puzzles in
the starter area. The first puzzle in the game not only shows you the most basic form of line puzzle, it also shows you the + puzzle your standing on
. Blow you sneaky mother.

ced

I'm stealing a notepad from work and dedicating it to this game.

I opened that vault early in the game and I'm pretty sure there is a picture of how to solve a puzzle I've seen somewhere, now just to find it again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So is there any tutorial for the blue
tetris
blocks? Because I stumbled upon one while in the
treehourse
area and I have no idea what the heck it means.

They show up in the swamp, and are the subject of the hardest (or at least the most obtuse) puzzle in the game (so far).

mf.luder

Guys, I'd like a hint on this thing I've been stuck on (sand area):

Looks like I have to do something with the sun so that the sun rays hit the panels with a different angle (or do something with the panels themselves).
Then I went to the "sun dial" near the water and realized that, when the little sun is lit up, I can solve a puzzle there. But I don't know how.

Clicking near the little sun creates a little amount of sparkles, while clicking near the boat creates more, but that's all I got. What am I missing?
(I don't want help with the panels, only with the dial)

Again, not a straight-out answer.

so you need a little more room to get a full glare. If only you could get out onto the water somehow. You'll be able to come back here later.

Damnit I give up on this town puzzle.

screen

There must be a concept I never fully grasped. Those are normal tetris pieces and standard black and white cubes. I've solved dozens of puzzles with each and I simply cannot figure this one out. Really frustrating.

Wok

I found a guy who looks like
an older version of Phil Fish

mIoHbRw.png

screen

There must be a concept I never fully grasped. Those are normal tetris pieces and standard black and white cubes. I've solved dozens of puzzles with each and I simply cannot figure this one out. Really frustrating.
Funny enough I got this by luck.
Think tetris Z block for the lower two yellow tetrinemos

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

screen

If it's an consolation, there isn't anything of immediate use behind there anyway, iirc

Daffy Duck

Just looking at this on Twitch, does it explain the basics of how to solve the puzzles in this game?

What I mean, is how you actually solve the screens? I see screens with dots on, but how does that translate to a slution?

I hope that makes sense.

Bowlie

Banned
so you need a little more room to get a full glare. If only you could get out onto the water somehow. You'll be able to come back here later.

You have the right idea, but
stick to the panels for now. The sun dial will make since later when you have a different perspective.

haha! I did what I had to with the sun dial. When I immediately got to The Thing, I thought "oh, I'm gonna use it for the dial, am I not?", and I used it for it.

I'm so happy right now, the game really does that to me.

Thanks for the answers!

Sulik2

Just looking at this on Twitch, does it explain the basics of how to solve the puzzles in this game?

What I mean, is how you actually solve the screens? I see screens with dots on, but how does that translate to a slution?

I hope that makes sense.

There are basically sets of training panels that teach you the concepts of each puzzle type by starting simple and getting more complex. Then you have to apply those rules to the puzzles you find. Its very organic and I find pretty effective to make sure you understand the concepts before moving on.

Its driving me insane I can't play this game for longer then forty-five minutes without getting sick. I would love to be able to just sink hours into it.

Mik2121

Man, the first Tetris puzzle with the red background and yellow pieces (upstairs looking at some red water below) is giving me a headache, even though I was able to solve the one in the left on the door to the right...

I thought I had the logic correct but this is probably something else... (No help plz, I'm just commenting :p)

Daffy Duck

Their are basically sets of training panels that teach you the concepts of each puzzle type by starting simple and getting more complex. Then you have to apply those rules to the puzzles you find. Its very organic and I find pretty effective to make sure you understand the concepts before moving on.

Excellent, I was just unsure if there was anything like that, what with the wa this game doesn't seem to hand hold you at all.

170 +11

Having fun so far, activated only 2
beams
though (
Symmetry
and
Bunker
).

Is there a stat for the number of audio logs? Or a trophy?

It's really true that you should look nothing up, you have to learn the mechanics for later and even watching people figuring stuff out from videos of the beginning ruined those puzzles for me. Just go somewhere else, the only thing I stuck my teeth in is when I'm sure I understand the mechanics but it the puzzle itself just seems hard to solve in the fear that I might lose my skills/knowledge to solve that kind of puzzle if I leave now.

Robiin

This game is giving me a headache. And I am not even playing it. Stuck at work, just counting the hours til I can go home. There are so many puzzles to solve, so many areas to discover and rediscover. Why doesn't my boss understand this, he said no to me going home early.

Nezumi

OK, so I feel like I'm missing something with the Tetris block puzzles. I figured the rules were
that you have to outline the shapes and the position doesn't matter as long as the block containing the symbol is inside the outline.
But now I came to a puzzle that doesn't seem to be solvable with just those rules, is there something I'm overlooking?

Freeman76

Is anyone else finding the puzzles under the swamp, where we are introduced to the blue 'frame' cubes alongside the tetris pieces, tricky? I am completely fuddled on them, i fluked the first 3 somehow but cannot see what its trying to teach me.

OK, so I feel like I'm missing something with the Tetris block puzzles. I figured the rules were
that you have to outline the shapes and the position doesn't matter as long as the block containing the symbol is inside the outline.
But now I came to a puzzle that doesn't seem to be solvable with just those rules, is there something I'm overlooking?

I swear, everybody is getting screwed by these damn tetris pieces lmao

Denur

Now at 99 puzzles solved. What a marvellous game. Currently getting through the swamp. First it was possible to visualise the solution, then I needed pen and paper. When those didn't do anymore, chess pieces came to the rescue. And now I come across an open blue Square. I exclaimed: Hello, haven't seen you here before. 😊

Kind of stumped on a puzzle in the blue
section underneath the desert building. The last panel that opens the door. I raise and lower the water, but I can only see a portion of the panel's reflection. How do I see the rest? Am I just supposed to guess what the remaining section of the path would be? The number of routes I can take suggest to me that there must be an easier way, but I am not sure.

Loving the game so far. Only 80 puzzles in. I've been staying out of this thread to avoid any possible spoilers so I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but does each new puzzle type contain a set of tutorial panels like at the start of the game? I went to a few new areas (
the town, the dessert, the swamp
) and I have no idea what to do because I haven't been taught the concept. So I'm not sure if I've missed any tutorial panels or if I'm just supposed to figure it out.

Also, I'm sure this has been brought up already, but I'm really struggling with some of the color ones--I'm colorblind. I've tried adjusting the brightness but to no avail. I know Blow has said you can just skip over those and still finish the game, but I really wanted to complete the game to 100%.

Aside from that though, absolutely enamored with this game. Can't wait to go home and play it some more tonight.

StaSeb

Just looking at this on Twitch ...

Don't! Solving the puzzles by yourself and figuring out how the different rules are, is the core of the games experience. And the games does an amazing job at teaching you just with the puzzle mechanics. You will not believe how variety and cleverness is to be had there. The game will make you feel genius at times and stupid at others.

But all this only works goof, if you are not spoiled too much.

N30RYU

Can you post a screenshot of that puzzle? So I can see what can you be overlooking?

This game is giving me a headache. And I am not even playing it. Stuck at work, just counting the hours til I can go home. There are so many puzzles to solve, so many areas to discover and rediscover. Why doesn't my boss understand this, he said no to me going home early.

Same for me, I have a puzzle in my mind that I couldn't solve, going to draw it right now and spend the whole day at work trying to figure it out.

Oh man I spoke too soon earlier... This one has me COMPLETELY stumped:

21EMLyr.jpg

How in the world do you box off the center square or combine it with the other pieces?

Please just the smallest of hints.

I think the way it works is that the shape has to be outlined (but doesn't have to outline with symbol inside it) and that the outline needs to touch the block with the symbol in it.

StaSeb

He should add an optional timer to this, speedruns would be interested to watch after the game is completed.

I really hope for a run at Summer Games Done Quick

There are quite a few shortcuts and since you do only need a set number of
beams
to finish the game and since you can solve puzzles from anywhere there could be some interesting strategies. Also the line-boost with R2 could be a help, but also cause lots of errors. Maybe speedrunners will prefer the digipad?

Top Bottom