• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

my wife got very sick watching me play this last night, anyone know what that update was for yesterday?

additionally, ran into a really frustrating bug last night at the (has to do with red puzzles near the bamboo/beach)
bird chirp puzzles near the bamboo forest. we were on puzzle 6, third puzzle of the 2nd sequence when it starts introducing the cell phone rings and sound effects. it kept playing the 4th puzzle's sound loop instead of the 6th puzzle, couldn't advance unless i wanted to brute force it. anyone have this isuse?

lol51

another day of banging my head against these stupid goddamn tetris puzzles.

http://i.imgur.com/edjVSCy.png

what's wrong with this?

http://i.imgur.com/sOo2TlL.png

In order for the L shape to be valid, the actual tetris icon on the board has to be on the same side of the line path to the exit. In the solution you provided, the L on the bottom left is not valid since it is a 1x1 block and not an L shape. Right L is also not valid for the same reason.

G-Bus

Banned
Nice to see people stuck on the same puzzles as I. Don't feel like such a dope.

I'm not even touching that tetris crap. Seen a few panels and just... no. Even seen how some are solved in this thread with explanations and I feel like I still don't get it.

I'm stuck in the tree fort area. Saw another poster ask about the same panel I'm stuck on, was given some hints and outright told the rule and I'm still dumb founded. Last panel in the bridge as well. I keep going back and looking at previous puzzles with the same symbols like I'm missing something obvious. I refuse to ask for an answer tho.

Equally infuriating and rewarding.

Auctopus

Real love/hate situation with the game.

Completed Marsh/Bamboo and Desert Temple today but some of it just felt like a slog.

Also, whilst i completed the marsh, I still can't unlock the second door down to the quarry. I don't know what's going on. Might take a break for a few days. I don't know how close to the ending I am but I feel like I'm running out of places to go.

I'm at 160 panels and I can't stomach how repetitive this game is.

:)

yeah, i continue to have fun with the game, but i'm definitely not having the revelatory experience this game's been described as being. iow, i'm seeing more that's just sorta 'neat' here than, you know, 'mind-blowing'. &, as clever as the game can often be, it absolutely can also become a bit repetitive...

cyba89

Sitting at 431 panels+41 solved. Still missing
two of the six hexagon notes (#4 and #5).

Currently stuck at three different secret puzzles:

MAJOR SECRETS SPOILERS!
Shipwreck
Pillar in the starting area with the arrows (have to figure out how these arrows work. Solved the single panels with them all "by accident")
Colored room in the town

Wandering through the world and looking for +1s is also oddly relaxing.

Zoracka

another day of banging my head against these stupid goddamn tetris puzzles.

http://i.imgur.com/edjVSCy.png

what's wrong with this?

http://i.imgur.com/sOo2TlL.png

Not the solution, but helping to understand how the these puzzles work.
There are several nuances of the tetris puzzle to take into account, all of which I will not explain to you - I think you'll learn that as you progress that particular area. What's wrong with your answer however is that the yellow tetris blocks is not part of the encapsulation you've made. With other words, the one of the blue and/or red dots should touch one of the tetris blocks on the board.

shiba5

I have a question about the outside of the windmill:

I did two of the puzzles on the blades, but the 2nd one was a complete pain because the dot would not move off blade #2 (the one with the straight line across the middle) and onto the mill. I finally got it but only because it bugged out and shot off the blade after it had already moved past. Is this a bug or am I moving the dot wrong or something? It seems like it should be easy to move the dot onto the mill, but I got so tired of it refusing to leave the blade and watching it slowly go round for another try that I gave up on puzzle #3.

I think Tetris may have killed this game for me. Had a blast for 6-8 hours on one side of the island. I only have my short patience to blame I guess.

GlamFM

Banned
I think Tetris may have killed this game for me. Had a blast for 6-8 hours on one side of the island. I only have my short patience to blame I guess.

Swear to god, build the tetris shapes out of something you have at home and shift them around on a table - easy.

cyba89

I did two of the puzzles on the blades, but the 2nd one was a complete pain because the dot would not move off blade #2 (the one with the straight line across the middle) and onto the mill. I finally got it but only because it bugged out and shot off the blade after it had already moved past. Is this a bug or am I moving the dot wrong or something? It seems like it should be easy to move the dot onto the mill, but I got so tired of it refusing to leave the blade and watching it slowly go round for another try that I gave up on puzzle #3.

I just did these 3 puzzles and had the exact same problem at the second blade. Cursor also bugged out a bit and jumped onto the mill when the blade was already past the line.

melkier33

Is there a trick to getting in the mountain? I didn't have to much trouble with any of the puzzles so far. But I can only get one of the 3 open... Any tips?

:)

yeah, i continue to have fun with the game, but i'm definitely not having the revelatory experience this game's been described as being. iow, i'm seeing more that's just sorta 'neat' here than, you know, 'mind-blowing'. &, as clever as the game can often be, it absolutely can also become a bit repetitive...

I'm sorta there at this point as well. I've done most of the areas, except for the town and the shipwreck (if there's anything to do there), and the only thing I still like about the game is the visuals. The puzzles are just mind numbing now.

*Splinter

I'm not sure what you did for #2, sounds weird, but for #3 it sounds like you are using the wrong route - it's not as obvious as the others

Hooooo boy, that
fourth hexagon video
. Kind of getting deja vu...

Swear to god, build the tetris shapes out of something you have at home and shift them around on a table - easy.
I actually broke down and cut out(very poorly) some papershapes to help figure out the very last few of those I found. My brain can handle shapes pretty well, but not when they're
crazy noodle monsters

Exuro

I had the same issues. My glitched when it ended up missing the left part of the base of the windmill, staying on the second blade and then my cursor it spazzed out and went to the left side of the windmill. Luckily had that happen twice to get each blade.

Aces&Eights

Played a ton last night and got through half the wooded area, finished the first couple areas and am stuck on Quarry. I think I figured it out but have to wait to get through dentist apt before I can go home and play all day. Can't stop thinking about this game. So good.

Also, what is the deal with the
windmill missing a chunk of its blade? I assume it's a puzzle but just don't see it. Ugh

papo

Man i feel so bad!! Yesterday I spent so much time in a puzzle, one I knew the answer to or at least the idea, but just could never get it to work and eventually I looked at the answer :(

Was so close. It was in the
swamp area I think? In one of the metal bridges a puzzle that had a square with 4 yellow dots with an empty line in between, a yellow line and a yellow L shaped form

It was so disappointing that I looked, but oh well learned my lesson.

There are random panels lying around the game with a triangle symbol. What does it mean? I've solved them all by luck.

i've solved about five of them so far by sticking to the same principle each time and it's worked. the first one we solved accidentally and then i've tried to apply the same idea going forward and it's worked every time within 1-2 tries.

Top Bottom