• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

GlamFM

Banned
Opening up photoshop to physically move the tetris pieces around to get a better idea of how to fit them has been the greatest advice I've seen, made it so much easier to see how to use the space given. This is the thing that has made it so I can clear out all these tetris puzzles I've been ignoring.

Legos FTW!

I'm the type of person that tends to get stuck on a puzzle and refuses to move on or go to a different area and come back later, too damn stubborn. I've been stuck for a few hours on one and I'm going to have to break this habit, it's killing me. No help!

I think this game is going to keep me hooked for a long time, but I'm going to need to take breaks with other games.

ultron87

(Bottom of Windmill)
Having it play a clip from a James Burke documentary was a really weird throwback to high school for me. Our history teacher played us a ton of those. They were great.

1) How do you guys know how many puzzles you've done?

2) Is the only interaction in this game the "Draw a line" thing? Sometimes I'm clicking on the environment thinking they are subtle puzzles, but often pausing the game to draw the line. I dont want to be paranoid and stop every 2 seconds

3) I know you can run and speed up the line drawing, but is there any other button command I'm missing? You can't "undraw" your lines automatically, can you?

4) Despite being open world, is it hard to miss audio logs? I've gotten what I think is the first one in
the opening area
, but Im worried about missing some out of order.

1) Open the load game menu.

2) I don't know about the deeper secrets yet, but as a general rule you can't do anything with ordinary scenery around the island.

3) The usual mouse/controller button you use for cancel will immediately remove the entire line you've drawn.

4) You should keep an eye on the ground and generally look around at conspicuous dead ends. There is no order to the audio logs, though.

wutwutwut

The swamp
Tetris
puzzles are probably the hardest, but once you eliminate what's impossible they become a lot easier. For example, a
tetromino that isn't close enough to a wall to be attached to it must be combined with another tetromino and not be in its original location.

More generally,
walls are the ONLY way to cordon off a tetromino group.
it took me a while to realize that.

mclem

I wonder if my mom will like this game. She's always playing Candy Crush and this other puzzle game in perpetuity. I asked her if she would "do some puzzles with me tomorrow" and she was intrigued and said yes so we'll see how this goes lol.

Out of interest, how did it go? Or is there another post in here where you said?

I'm wondering if my parents might like it. Not that I'm sure I can figure out a way to play it at their's - not really a big fan of taking a PS4 on a plane! - but still, it'll be worth keeping an open mind.

Question about the elevator puzzle. I solved it but I don't fully understand how.

I know the colored lighting affects the color of the cubes but how can you tell which cubes are going to change?

You had to look at the light color on the floor above you, and imagine what that would do given the true colors you know are on the panel.

I'll be honest, I guessed and got lucky the first time. :p

The swamp
Tetris
puzzles are probably the hardest, but once you eliminate what's impossible they become a lot easier.

This is the most important advice I would give for the whole game, but especialy there. Solutions come much more easily when you start by eliminating the impossible.

Just a heads up, there's a pretty big spoiler (in my opinion) at the top of /r/gaming

That was seen in the trailer for the game, so I dont think it was meant to be hidden.

1) Open the load game menu.

2) I don't know about the deeper secrets yet, but as a general rule you can't do anything with ordinary scenery around the island.

3) The usual mouse/controller button you use for cancel will immediately remove the entire line you've drawn.

4) You should keep an eye on the ground and generally look around at conspicuous dead ends. There is no order to the audio logs, though.

Thanks.

Also, hearing that you guys are using professional software like Photoshop makes me incredibly worried.

I dont know how to use that. I may just have to use ordinary graph paper or something. Sonds like some of these puzzles get insane

-griffy-

Banned
I went to three separate stores last night looking for a little notebook/sketchpad with graph paper (finally found one at Dick Blick, they had a whole rack of different sizes). There was another guy at Target looking for one when I was there, and Target was actually out of them. I'm just gonna chalk that up to The Witness effect.

That was seen in the trailer for the game, so I dont think it was meant to be hidden.

Thanks.

Also, hearing that you guys are using professional software like Photoshop makes me incredibly worried.

I dont know how to use that. I may just have to use ordinary graph paper or something. Sonds like some of these puzzles get insane

The thing I did in photoshop could easily be done with graph paper or even just regular paper and scissors, I just had photoshop and no graph paper.

Accidental double post sorry.

JerkShep

Last shadow branches puzzle
after opening the two doors, the yellow box is right in front of me.
Can someone give me a very vague hint?

Completed Symmetry, Treehouses, Monastery and Bunker until now

Question for the swamp:
I'm at the final puzzle on the row of four. It's the puzzle with the block that's like 2 vertical squares on top of each other, with a gap in between. I'm assuming that means there has to be two vertical squares on each side of the screen? It's this puzzle: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ0kuifWAAA4fun.jpg:large

This is one of those moments where it just feels poorly explained.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Argh the bridge in the swamp - no not that one. I assume you need to
connect the Tetris piece (representing the L shaped raft you're on), to one of the colours matching the direction you want to move. But how do you do that and isolate the other colours?

You had to look at the light color on the floor above you, and imagine what that would do given the true colors you know are on the panel.

I'll be honest, I guessed and got lucky the first time. :p

I got lucky as well. I knew it had to do with the
lighting on each floor
but I don't see how you could deduce which cubes are going to change.

Question for the swamp:
I'm at the final puzzle on the row of four. It's the puzzle with the block that's like 2 vertical squares on top of each other, with a gap in between. I'm assuming that means there has to be two vertical squares on each side of the screen? It's this puzzle: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ0kuifWAAA4fun.jpg:large

How many squares do you think fit between those two sets of 2?

ekimneems

Neo Member
I really do want to figure out the Tetris ones on my own, so I'll just ask for this one hint:

- In what area do I get what some might consider the "first" Tetris tutorial, meaning its most basic puzzle?

I'm currently in the area right near the beginning (that you get a good view of right when you leave the first area). It's near water with some tall lighthouse-like buildings, and there are 5 panels, first one has a tilted tetris piece with black dots.

Is that the right introduction area or should I look elsewhere?

Last shadow branches puzzle
after opening the two doors, the yellow box is right in front of me.
Can someone give me a very vague hint?

Completed Symmetry, Treehouses, Monastery and Bunker until now

It's a combination of the two methods you've been using so far to solve the puzzles in the area.

It's like with the monastery where you had to complete those four puzzles around the tree, you didn't use the same method for all four.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really do want to figure out the Tetris ones on my own, so I'll just ask for this one hint:

- In what area do I get what some might consider the "first" Tetris tutorial, meaning its most basic puzzle?

I'm currently in the area right near the beginning (that you get a good view of right when you leave the first area). It's near water with some tall lighthouse-like buildings, and there are 5 panels, first one has a tilted tetris piece with black dots.

Is that the right introduction area or should I look elsewhere?

Elsewhere. Near the mountain

Four. A square of four, to be precise.

Exactly.

So,
you need to make sure that whatever shape you draw includes those two columns of two, with that much space in between them
. Now apply the other rules you've encountered to figure out what you need to do to solve based on the rest of the information.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Question for the swamp:

I agree. Also that
gap looks quite big, don't you think? Like maybe there are two spaces in between.

Zomba13

295, +72 at the moment. I admit, I had to look up the solution for two of the Jungle puzzles
pitch detection isn't a thing I have any skill at)
and one of the Desert ones
the third puzzle in the water room. I could not find a glare anywhere and was getting annoyed with the slow speed of the water

Argh the bridge in the swamp - no not that one. I assume you need to
connect the Tetris piece (representing the L shaped raft you're on), to one of the colours matching the direction you want to move. But how do you do that and isolate the other colours?

You have to connect to two at a time, to be precise (there is no other way). And once you connect with those, take your line back out to the edge and draw a single square for each of the two others.

There are only two possible ways to do this.

Follow the cables.

I was actually giving a hint - sorry if that was unclear.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You have to connect to two at a time, to be precise (there is no other way). And once you connect with those, take your line back out to the edge and draw a single square for each of the two others.

Yup its this. Took me a while to figure out also

Trickster

I hate the tetris puzzles..

How am I supposed to isolate a single grid area with just the line i can draw, if it's in the middle of the goddamn grid?!

Salty Hippo

These sound puzzles are driving me insane. What is the general logic behind them? The rules change completely every 3 panels.

I'm currently on the red dot tutorial. Passed the first two panels on pure luck and am stuck on the third.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got lucky as well. I knew it had to do with the
lighting on each floor
but I don't see how you could deduce which cubes are going to change.

You should have enough info on each prior floor and the ground floor puzzles.
if you can work out the colours of each square, then you can predict what they'll appear as under green light (red and blue will be dark, green will be bright green, and any colour hat contains green will be mid tone - something like that anyway)

jett

D-Member
This puzzle is my archnemesis.

http://i.imgur.com/vxFO9hu.jpg

Been stuck here since last night. I even made paper cutouts of the pieces to make it easier to visualize it! Nope. Can't find a way to make everything fit in that spread.

Fuck the tetris blocks.

I hate the tetris puzzles..

How am I supposed to isolate a single grid area with just the line i can draw, if it's in the middle of the goddamn grid?!

Oh I think I know what puzzle you mean, here's a hint.

tumblr_n9w07iu9EL1t5ghc1o1_500.jpg

Check the map.

So I found the map, but I'm unsure of how to read exactly where the tutorial panels (or the most basic iteration of a puzzle type) would be. Is it just the
symbol of the puzzle type? i.e. for the dessert area located at the top left corner of the map, is it the symbol right above it?
Sorry if this isn't clear.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I was actually giving a hint - sorry if that was unclear.

Thanks. That's a little obtuse because of the broken platform the
dual connection wasn't clear

Yeah you're on the right track. I think there are probably some exceptions to that rule. You can learn things in different places. But it should be a good starting point.

So I just finished an area, the
castle? monastery? I don't know what people want to call it, the one with the hedge mazes

and it seemed way too short and easy. Am I missing something? I'm now
5/7 of the way through my lasers.

GhaleonEB

So where is the tutorial for those star dots puzzles, I'm close to finishing the quarry but i have no idea what to do with these puzzles.

I'm the type of person that tends to get stuck on a puzzle and refuses to move on or go to a different area and come back later, too damn stubborn. I've been stuck for a few hours on one and I'm going to have to break this habit, it's killing me. No help!

I think this game is going to keep me hooked for a long time, but I'm going to need to take breaks with other games.

I'm the same way. I had to walk away from two difficult puzzles last night, and go to a new area. I'll revisit the ones I got stuck at daily until I figure them out.

Top Bottom