• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Surprised how negative other communities has been towards this. I wonder if it all stems from it being $40.
That's the largest sticking point. Steam sales and free monthly games have really spoiled consumers and created this artificial stump in value perceived of indie games and to a lesser extent AAA titles.

nobode

Neo Member
The 3-piece tetrimon is vertical in the top right corner. The blue pieces have to completely eliminate the T-piece.

Thanks so much. Now I feel really dumb I didn't think to just make one continuous block to encompass all the blue pieces

Aces&Eights

That's the largest sticking point. Steam sales and free monthly games have really spoiled consumers and created this artificial stump in value perceived of indie games and to a lesser extent AAA titles.

This game is of more value to me than a ton of 60.00 "AAA" games out there. Great art design, really clever puzzles, hidden secrets and just really pulls you in. Havnt felt this way about a game since I played Demons Souls for the first time.

Bowlie

Banned
Puzzle type help:

what triggers the
three-pointed star/caltrop looking thing
in a panel? I know what it does, not what triggers it.
I'm at the tutorial area so the game assumes I know it already.

reposting cause it may have been buried at the bottom

TheExodu5

Banned
I've only played a bit, but I'm already a tad disappointed.

The fun part about Myst is discovering how devices and concepts work in the different ages.

The fun part about The Witness is discovering how the different line puzzles work. However, once you figure out the concept, actually solving the puzzles is a tedious exercise.

The puzzles feel arbitrary and don't really contribute to the world all that much. I almost feel like I'd rather just hit a switch than solve another line puzzle.

Neoweee

So, I think I'm well into the endgame after about
hours, with
puzzles down.

I think people getting stuck have a bad mentality for how to tackle open-worlds and puzzles. And be willing to bust out the notebook; once you've decided to use a pen and paper, you've pretty much beaten the puzzle.

The fun part about Myst is discovering how devices and concepts work in the different ages.

The fun part about The Witness is discovering how the different line puzzles work. However, once you figure out the concept, actually solving the puzzles is a tedious exercise.

The puzzles feel arbitrary and don't really contribute to the world all that much. I almost feel like I'd rather just hit a switch than solve another line puzzle.

Keep playing, IMO. There's a few areas that are kind of overkill with basic puzzles, but most of the areas have very cool themes.

I need help and I don't even know how to explain where I am without giving away something but I will try. It's near the beach kind of, near the bamboo forest kind of. This first spoiler explains exactly what puzzle I'm talking about:

The one where you have to use the bird sounds to create sound waves.

So anyway, I've got them all except for what I assume is the last one, which I'm totally blank on. It seems to be like three different sounds played on top of each other. I can't make out which one I'm supposed to focus on. I've listened to it 50 times and cannot tell what's going on.

Also, where is there random a phone ringing, a horn honking, and glass shattering? Just to throw you off?

I think Tetris may have killed this game for me. Had a blast for 6-8 hours on one side of the island. I only have my short patience to blame I guess.

Was feeling this way last night myself. Was really enjoying the overall experience, and when I'd get stumped I'd take the advice to wander off to something else. Then I wander into the Tetris area puzzles and... frustration.

I think part of the problem, for me, is that the tutorial section didn't elaborate one of the key variations. Specifically,
the last two or three tutorial panels. As far as I can see, only ONE tries to teach you the concept that the pieces can be laid out in any order as long as all are included in the outline. It left way too much open to interpretation in my opinion. I didn't read that panel as teaching me I could arrange them in any order, I took it as that you 'read' the panel from left to right. The bridge to cross showed there could be some variability in the placement, but it still fit my "read left to right" solution/mechanic.

Granted, when I got to the actual puzzles I realized my logic was wrong, but the tutorial panels were so nebulous that I couldn't make the leap to what I was doing wrong.

Feel kind of shitty about having to spoil the mechanics of these pieces, but then once the logic was explained to me, I'm really not sure I would have gotten it solo without a few more panels to explain it.

GlamFM

Banned

Play some more.

Afrodium

Banned
Advice to people who can't figure out rules for puzzle shapes: Don't be afraid to get the puzzle wrong. The feedback when failing a puzzle can be very helpful. What flashed red? What didn't? Try to guess the rule of the shape and draw a line that meets that criteria even if you know you're breaking the rule for other shapes. If the shape you're confused about didn't flash you're on the right track.

Oh man, I just realised that the lake near the village
tracks your progress - the lights floating on the water are turning on whenever I activate a laser and a bunch of the white flowers have opened up, which I'm guessing is tied to finding the audio logs. There's orange flowers as well, but I'm not sure what they're tied to

Samemind

Wow, I really got stumped for a while on figuring out the
puzzles where you have to draw the shape that's shown in one of the squares

SOLUTION SPOILER AHEAD
In particular, figuring out that you can draw a shape that combines multiple different shapes as a solution is where I was stuck

Also I'm slightly dissappointed that I feel there's a handful of weak designs in this game. The two noteworthy instances I've found were
the final panel in the room where you raise and lower the water level to get a reflection, I actually bruteforced the final of the panel after figuring out two thirds of it because I was getting frustrated running around while having no idea how the reflections worked
and
the shipwreck's
world line puzzle
just felt kind of weak because it was so slow to complete and fucking up slightly meant starting over which was also pretty slow in and of itself. Meaning it took probably at least 15 minutes to finally pull it off because of how many little things that can screw up

Question about the elevator puzzle. I solved it but I don't fully understand how.

I know the colored lighting affects the color of the cubes but how can you tell which cubes are going to change?

louiedog

Surprised how negative other communities has been towards this. I wonder if it all stems from it being $40.

Game communities can be awful. The moment a price was announced some people made up their mind to how they would react to this game forever. In 2 years this will be a Daily Deal on Steam or PS+ title and you'll see angry comments about how it shouldn't have been $40 at launch.

1) How do you guys know how many puzzles you've done?

2) Is the only interaction in this game the "Draw a line" thing? Sometimes I'm clicking on the environment thinking they are subtle puzzles, but often pausing the game to draw the line. I dont want to be paranoid and stop every 2 seconds

3) I know you can run and speed up the line drawing, but is there any other button command I'm missing? You can't "undraw" your lines automatically, can you?

4) Despite being open world, is it hard to miss audio logs? I've gotten what I think is the first one in
the opening area
, but Im worried about missing some out of order.

5) Tell me I'm not the only one who hears Ellie in those audio logs

Some general criticisms:

1) I wish I could turn faster

2) I was really hoping for more story about the island. I hear there's puzzles within the environment or something, and that sounds great. But Im curious about the island itself. Talos Principle had awesome computer terminals and writings on the wall, and while I dont need that level of storytelling, I was hoping to find random things in the world itself. I'm still very early, so maybe I'll see something if I look harder.

Hopefully the audio logs are great, Ive only found one.

3) Something like Talos Principle felt much more organized with its puzzles and sense of exploration. I feel lucky to have discovered the tetris tutorials, because the tetris rule is clearly seen in earlier places on the island.

I guess the rule is "if you see something new, there's a tutorial for them somewhere first". I'm doing my best to ignore hints and answers, but I'm walking around very nervous that Im doing the puzzles out of order.

I've already found random
graph puzzles
on the floor and completed the simple ones that had new rules. No idea why they are right, but Im assuming it will be explained in a tutorial somewhere

GlamFM

Banned
Game communities can be awful. The moment a price was announced some people made up their mind to how they would react to this game forever. In 2 years this will be a Daily Deal on Steam or PS+ title and you'll see angry comments about how it shouldn't have been $40 at launch.

Even sooner. Once it hits iOS for $9.99.

That being said, I have no idea why a "community" should decide on what a game should be priced.

So quick question about that greenhouse place to see if I'm on the right track and make sure I'm not spending time trying to solve a puzzle in an unsolvable way:
Does the third puzzle behind the green/yellowish glass use the same rule as the other 2 behind glass before it (the one where you look through the window to see the true colours and the one where you look through the blue door)?

shiba5

I just did these 3 puzzles and had the exact same problem at the second blade. Cursor also bugged out a bit and jumped onto the mill when the blade was already past the line.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a bug. A really annoying one...

prag16

Banned

I originally said $40 was too much, and that I wouldn't buy it at launch.

Well I caved.

And I was wrong.

Game is incredible. I could have paid $60 and been okay with it.

Palmer_v1

I've found a handful of puzzles just lying around. Usually with an orange triangle or two on them. What is the point of them? I think I've solved them all so far, without really knowing what I'm doing with them. I don't want to have to come back to them later when I've forgotten where they all were.

I've also had a handful of puzzles that seem to have more than one possible solution, but aside from the one near the beginning, it never seems to make a difference.

I don't mind if I need to backtrack later if the game makes it obvious, but I really don't want to have to crawl over the entire place again without any idea of where the alternate puzzles were.

I've found a handful of puzzles just lying around. Usually with an orange triangle or two on them. What is the point of them? I think I've solved them all so far, without really knowing what I'm doing with them. I don't want to have to come back to them later when I've forgotten where they all were.

Think of these as a big spread-out tutorial. You have to find a bunch to fully understand them.

Might want to make notes on the valid and invalid solutions while you have them in front of you.

Opening up photoshop to physically move the tetris pieces around to get a better idea of how to fit them has been the greatest advice I've seen, made it so much easier to see how to use the space given. This is the thing that has made it so I can clear out all these tetris puzzles I've been ignoring.

Top Bottom