• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So I just finished an area, the
castle? monastery? I don't know what people want to call it, the one with the hedge mazes

and it seemed way too short and easy. Am I missing something? I'm now
5/7 of the way through my lasers.

Did you only beat the
front half? The back half is not required for the laser but it does lead to something else.

GavinGT

Banned
So I just finished an area, the
castle? monastery? I don't know what people want to call it, the one with the hedge mazes

and it seemed way too short and easy. Am I missing something? I'm now
5/7 of the way through my lasers.

You can
redo all the floor button mazes so that they're all environmental puzzles as viewed from the tower.

I'm still working on that one, but didn't you draw an extra row in that picture?

Edit: I figured it out on paper.
You do not have to separate the pieces from the black squares (in fact that would be impossible).

If what you're saying is true:

1- There's a new rule that I don't know

2- The game is laughing at me

It could be possible that I draw an extra row but I'm fairly sure that it's accurate.

Mindlog

Opening up photoshop to physically move the tetris pieces around to get a better idea of how to fit them has been the greatest advice I've seen, made it so much easier to see how to use the space given. This is the thing that has made it so I can clear out all these tetris puzzles I've been ignoring.
I ended up doing that for a different puzzle. I wasn't at the game, but I had the pictures and a couple of minutes. It came out pretty well. Can't wait to actually be able to input the answer :]
This is one of the last puzzles in the town. Do not click (Picture in the spoiler - Don't click it) .
TBH If I come across another one I'm just going to memorize the components and do it all in my head. It's fun to try all the different methods.

icespide

Banned
someone mentioned the idea of a Witness "helpline" thread to focus the OT a bit. that was a pretty good idea to me, what do you guys think?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
someone mentioned the idea of a Witness "helpline" thread to focus the OT a bit. that was a pretty good idea to me, what do you guys think?

I'm not sure. What would be left to talk about that isn't spoilery? I think it'd maybe be useful to have a spoilers thread where people can talk about things more freely?

Opening up photoshop to physically move the tetris pieces around to get a better idea of how to fit them has been the greatest advice I've seen, made it so much easier to see how to use the space given. This is the thing that has made it so I can clear out all these tetris puzzles I've been ignoring.
I just cut the tetris pieces out of graph paper and laid them out that way.

Trickster

Read my earlier post.

Tried doing just that, didn't work. From what I can tell it has to be in the exact spot that the icon is. Anywhere else and I get the red blinks when I try to complete it.

You must have activated the bridge to get to where you are right?

No, I took the boat. The puzzle I'm trying to do is the one with a
3 tetris piece on the left and right side of the board, and a 1 tetris piece in the middle of everything

You might save more time just using a pen and paper. I use stick figures to represent the pieces you're moving around. Jon's love of Snakebird makes sense after spending so much time with this game now,

mclem

I have to say, after about five and a half hours and getting
four lasers
, I'm a bit sceptical about the "40+ hours to get an ending" claim. But then, I may well be very much wrong; we'll see!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is the puzzle
on the right door of the green double doors behind the movie screen, right?

Wait, that's doable? I thought because
the left door opened, the right one was a dummy. Seemed impossible

I found an old app my kids used for colouring called 'drawing pad'. Let's you import a photo to use as a background then draw all over it. Multiple step undo is really handy. Great for the more complex Tetris levels.

If you did, it might be helpful to have a format for the hints and answers. Something like:

puzzles solved: 280
area: jungle
specific question:
in spoilers

that way people can avoid walking into answering or reading things ahead of them. similarly ctrl F search would be easier

Dominator

I sleep on it, come back refreshed and I'm still stuck on this damn puzzle. The area is the
bamboo trees.

http://imgur.com/a/yQkS7

Any help would be appreciated.

I know that
its all about the sounds, but this one goes too fast and I can't get a grip on it. I think the long piece is a high pitch but I have no clue lol

tesqui

I'm going crazy on this tetris puzzle. Please explain to me why this won't work.
lujJhoO.jpg

That one, yeah.

Then you do have an extra row. See below.

Wait, that's doable? I thought because
the left door opened, the right one was a dummy. Seemed impossible

I have only done it on paper, but on paper it's possible.

The black squares don't matter. Even if they weren't there the solution would be the same and would be the only possible solution.

And I do not know how to solve the left door, so I hope this works!

Hope you're ready for more of Mr. Blow's wild ride.
I'm trying to figure out which +'s I missed there.

Just solved the triangle puzzle after you solve the box on top of the mountain through a different angle. I knew the black cable leading to the box on the top meant something!

E: Just trying to find out what it activated.

Tried doing just that, didn't work. From what I can tell it has to be in the exact spot that the icon is. Anywhere else and I get the red blinks when I try to complete it.

No, I took the boat. The puzzle I'm trying to do is the one with a
3 tetris piece on the left and right side of the board, and a 1 tetris piece in the middle of everything

You're not on the puzzle I thought you were on... Did you do the tetris tutorial in the swamp? I'm pretty sure taking the boat there throws you into the middle of harder tetris puzzles. I recommend taking the boat somewhere else and entering the swamp from land. That way, you'll get the full tetris tutorial and then you can activate the bridge/ferry (that helps to illustrate the rule you need to solve that puzzle) to cross the gap.

That one, yeah.

Then you do have an extra row. See below.

I have only done it on paper, but on paper it's possible.

The black squares don't matter. Even if they weren't there the solution would be the same and would be the only possible solution.

And I do not know how to solve the left door, so I hope this works!

I've solved the left door. I'll try with your hint, looks like you're right can't see any other possible solution.

rezn0r

Wow. Stopped Tuesday night stuck at a group of things it looks like lots of people did. Didn't manage to get on last night, and just nailed out 5 in a row pretty quickly once it 'clicked'. This is awesome.

samn

Any simple iPad app for taking a quick photo of a puzzle and then scribbling on it?

I'm using a free app called You Doodle.

you can make the paint transparent so you can see in the cells behind it. and there's an undo button for quick erase.

Press the icon on the top right, then tap draw on picture, then tap camera.

prag16

Banned
I'm the same way. I had to walk away from two difficult puzzles last night, and go to a new area. I'll revisit the ones I got stuck at daily until I figure them out.

I've been giving it 10-15 minutes absolute max on one puzzle before going somewhere else. So far, generally it dawned on me later, or going back with a fresh look did the trick. Definitely can't get bogged down for hours staring at one screen. No good.

hort

Neo Member
So I got the
Symmetry laser
but totally missed the puzzles that require you to
map around the rocks and trees in the ocean somehow. Are those required for anything?

Also, I went to the
swamp
by boat to learn the
tetrominoes
but don't see a tutorial section for it, just a floating platform with them on it that I don't know how to do, is that part of the tutorial or do I need to enter this area from the other side, by land?

OK, what do the hollow blue squares actually do? The game is so bad about communicating this.

In general in the marsh area, I found it very helpful to test hypothesis on the early puzzles to work out the rule set. This tutorial is weird because it's easy to solve, it's more important to understand what doesn't work in a sense.

The blue squares subtract from the yellow tetris blocks.

In general in the marsh area, I found it very helpful to test hypothesis on the early puzzles to work out the rule set. This tutorial is weird because it's easy to solve, it's more important to understand what doesn't work in a sense.

The blue squares subtract from the yellow tetris blocks.

Ah, right. These puzzles still feel like they're teaching me nothing - very trial and error, very frustrating.

Top Bottom