• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Wait, that's doable? I thought because
the left door opened, the right one was a dummy. Seemed impossible

I found an old app my kids used for colouring called 'drawing pad'. Let's you import a photo to use as a background then draw all over it. Multiple step undo is really handy. Great for the more complex Tetris levels.

Could it be that this game has puzzles that doesn't have a solution!? If so that's just evil!

_RT_

Been good about not using a guide for anything yet, but I just accidentally solved a puzzle that I couldn't figure out the rationale for. I'll try to individually spoiler tag things.

Puzzle Section:
Orange tiles with black and white squares and stars
Image: http://imgur.com/sS9v7QW
Questions on approach:
1. I solved first one keeping
two white suns together but separate from all else and splitting the square color groups.
2. I solved second one by
keeping two orange suns together but not they can apparently be mixed with the color squares. So I kept them with the white ones and split the white from the black.
3. I solved the third one (shown in picture) by
keeping black suns together but mixed with white squares which are separated from black squares.
4. This is where I'm lost. I accidentally
put the one black sun with one of the three black squares and had the rest of the white and black squares separate.
And it worked, which makes NO sense to me.

Before I continue can someone tell me what I'm missing? My approach must have been wrong on the first ones, but for some reason it still worked.

Out of interest, how did it go? Or is there another post in here where you said?

I'm wondering if my parents might like it. Not that I'm sure I can figure out a way to play it at their's - not really a big fan of taking a PS4 on a plane! - but still, it'll be worth keeping an open mind.

I held off on it because of the motion sickness stuff that people were complaining about. I'm worried my mom might be affected by that. She's already not used to anything that isn't a mobile game. Though, the TV in our family room is mounted fairly high up on a wall with the couch being a good distance away from it.

In any case, I'll be trying it with her tonight to see how it goes since I don't know when that patch for console will happen.

My hopes is that she likes it enough that she'll want to pick it up on her iPad whenever it releases there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't get it. What do you mean
"make them the same"
?

assuming you've done them earlier, you'd recognise them as sound puzzles - high/medium/low represented by position in the left puzzle (up/middle/down) and by size of dot on the right puzzle. So take a look at th right hand puzzle to see what 'notes' it has, then solve it in any order. Then just copy that pattern as top/middle/bottom onto the left puzzle .

GavinGT

Banned
"Complete a certain challenge" trophy speculation:

I'm guessing this has to do with creating an environmental puzzle out of the sun and the clouds. And the dark cloud is perhaps an obstacle to avoid while doing this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Could it be that this game has puzzles that doesn't have a solution!? If so that's just evil!

I don't know. I just went back there to have a look and I don't see how you can do it (and btw you did have an extra row in there). I'll add a photo in a sec to help

Edit: right door http://i.imgur.com/3JAqMpB.jpg

Also posting my solution for the left door in case it helps just to get through the door
Edit : left door (solved) http://i.imgur.com/wbHIqwq.jpg

nobode

Neo Member
Been good about not using a guide for anything yet, but I just accidentally solved a puzzle that I couldn't figure out the rationale for. I'll try to individually spoiler tag things.

Puzzle Section:
Orange tiles with black and white squares and stars
Image: http://imgur.com/sS9v7QW
Questions on approach:
1. I solved first one keeping
two white suns together but separate from all else and splitting the square color groups.
2. I solved second one by
keeping two orange suns together but not they can apparently be mixed with the color squares. So I kept them with the white ones and split the white from the black.
3. I solved the third one (shown in picture) by
keeping black suns together but mixed with white squares which are separated from black squares.
4. This is where I'm lost. I accidentally
put the one black sun with one of the three black squares and had the rest of the white and black squares separate.
And it worked, which makes NO sense to me.

Before I continue can someone tell me what I'm missing? My approach must have been wrong on the first ones, but for some reason it still worked.

Your approach is correct on all of them, but I think you misunderstood the specifics of the rule of the tile which you should now better understand by completing the fourth tile. Like other ruleset, I suggest you try to fail the fourth tile and other to see which circumstance fail and which succeed.

Remember that each type of tile has its own separate rule, and there is no real rule that govern different types of tiles at the same time. When you're trying to complete a panel with different tiles, you have make sure the solution satisfy all the different separate rule.

I don't know. I just went back there to have a look and I don't see how you can do it (and btw you did have an extra row in there). I'll add a photo in a sec to help

Also posting my solution for the left door in case it helps just to get through the door

Thx for confirming that I have and extra row in my drawing haha wasn't so sure about it.

So... only one door can be open... that's lame, sounds unfair to me, I'm going back there constantly because I want it in my puzzle count but if it's impossible then is not a puzzle... or actually it is and I've already solved it, is just that I didn't know haha.

nobode

Neo Member

You can definitely open both doors.

Hint:
Try moving the pieces around to have more of an opening on both the start and the finish point.

KingKong

Maybe I'm going crazy but where is the desert
laser pointing for you guys? Because its not going to the mountain for me

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thx for confirming that I have and extra row in my drawing haha wasn't so sure about it.

So... only one door can be open... that's lame, sounds unfair to me, I'm going back there constantly because I want it in my puzzle count but if it's impossible then is not a puzzle... or actually it is and I've already solved it, is just that I didn't know haha.

I just totally did it.

I got fixated on the shapes not being movable, but that isn't the case.

Spoiler : http://i.imgur.com/3JAqMpB.jpg

Palmer_v1

I found like a tiny recorder in the desert. Played an audio file that talked about sciency crap. Curious if it's going to matter more later on, cause there's no puzzle near it that I can see.

"Complete a certain challenge" trophy speculation:

I'm guessing this has to do with creating an environmental puzzle out of the sun and the clouds. And the dark cloud is perhaps an obstacle to avoid while doing this.
If you're talking about the achievements, I have both and
the 'challenge' one doesn't have anything to do with the environment puzzle

dan2026

Is there some extra logic to the crooked tetris pieces that I am missing?

I have completed some of the puzzles but some just refused completion with the same strategy.

I get that and solved the first 5 or so, but I'm having trouble with the specific one in my screenshot.

The
sound
puzzles are the weakest in the game IMO, the concept is so simple, and the only stumbling block is
filtering out the auditory noise, or the sounds that don't match the number of notes

Hint for that panel:
Sometimes the bird call is the fake sound

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The was one instance where I managed to solve a puzzle for a door which led to nothing but a pedestal
Yah, with
only more questions than answers if you open it up... also there's a skylight in that room with a tree with no leaves that is sort of positioned under a cloud to make it look like the cloud is the leaves.... ???
Both fine examples of how you think your intelligence has the better of the game, then it abruptly brings you back down to earth.
Yuuuup.

despite surface similarities, I find this game produces largely the opposite feelings re: intelligence and puzzle-solving as I got playing Antichamber.

Can't wait to dive back in tonight...

I'm at work and I can't stop thinking about this game (I stopped to get some graph paper during lunch today). Few hours in - not sure my puzzle count, but have about 10 + puzzles. Love looking for those things.

Currently making my way through the monastery.

What a game. What a game.

louiedog

The
sound
puzzles are the weakest in the game IMO, the concept is so simple, and the only stumbling block is
filtering out the auditory noise, or the sounds that don't match the number of notes

Hint for that panel:
Sometimes the bird call is the fake sound

Thank you. This is the third time I've asked for help and the third time where I had the concept right
(I already tried the wolf howl, though I got the beginning of it wrong)
but had the solution wrong and so I needed someone to point me back on the right track.

JerkShep

It's a combination of the two methods you've been using so far to solve the puzzles in the area.

It's like with the monastery where you had to complete those four puzzles around the tree, you didn't use the same method for all four.

Which puzzles opened which half of the door?

Ok I did it, thank you very much
Since I competed the first half way before I never would have thought about it, the hint helped immenselyl

Goldrusher

assuming you've done them earlier, you'd recognise them as sound puzzles - high/medium/low represented by position in the left puzzle (up/middle/down) and by size of dot on the right puzzle. So take a look at th right hand puzzle to see what 'notes' it has, then solve it in any order. Then just copy that pattern as top/middle/bottom onto the left puzzle .

Got it, thanks.

Top Bottom