• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Sai-kun

Banned
What does the grey panel in the
Quarry
do? I solved it, but there are no power lines leading me anywhere.

With the triangle? I don't think anyone knows yet

oh nvm

Check next to the two switchboard panels. There's another panel that gets activated. Easy to miss.

Fuck that treehouse. I've done everything but
the timed puzzle that opens the gate under the beam. Timer is way too short to run back to the gate. I've noticed you can see its equivalent inside the house but couldn't find a good angle to see it entirely. I guess the rotating bridge shenanigans could help create a shortcut between activating the timed puzzle and reaching the door, but I'm not seeing it.

Funnily enough, I didn't find the swamp that hard at all.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Check next to the two switchboard panels. There's another panel that gets activated. Easy to miss.

That panel was already active before I solved the grey one though.
I assume you are talking about the one to the right of the lift controls.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I still dont get it. is there a special rule introduced in this?

wednesday nickname is
hump day
think spatially. Let me know if you get through the next ones, i def am still chewing on that board.

bigger spoiler
fit all the pieces in one big area, as long as the tetris pieces are also containted in the area, it doesn't matter how they are placed as long as they arent rotated or overlapping. also i hate these puzzles

Fuck that treehouse. I've done everything but
the timed puzzle that opens the gate under the beam. Timer is way too short to run back to the gate. I've noticed you can see its equivalent inside the house but couldn't find a good angle to see it entirely. I guess the rotating bridge shenanigans could help create a shortcut between activating the timed puzzle and reaching the door, but I'm not seeing it.

Funnily enough, I didn't find the swamp that hard at all.

Here's a hint for that part of the treehouse section:
you might need to move a bridge
or two

_RT_

Reposting as I still don't have an answer I understand.
Been good about not using a guide for anything yet, but I just accidentally solved a puzzle that I couldn't figure out the rationale for. I'll try to individually spoiler tag things.

Puzzle Section:
Orange tiles with black and white squares and stars
Image: http://imgur.com/sS9v7QW
Questions on approach:
1. I solved first one keeping
two white suns together but separate from all else and splitting the square color groups.
2. I solved second one by
keeping two orange suns together but not they can apparently be mixed with the color squares. So I kept them with the white ones and split the white from the black.
3. I solved the third one (shown in picture) by
keeping black suns together but mixed with white squares which are separated from black squares.
4. This is where I'm lost. I accidentally
put the one black sun with one of the three black squares and had the rest of the white and black squares separate.
And it worked, which makes NO sense to me.

Before I continue can someone tell me what I'm missing? My approach must have been wrong on the first ones, but for some reason it still worked.

Your approach is correct on all of them, but I think you misunderstood the specifics of the rule of the tile which you should now better understand by completing the fourth tile. Like other ruleset, I suggest you try to fail the fourth tile and other to see which circumstance fail and which succeed.

Remember that each type of tile has its own separate rule, and there is no real rule that govern different types of tiles at the same time. When you're trying to complete a panel with different tiles, you have make sure the solution satisfy all the different separate rule.

I'm still not getting the rule of the tile.
The
star isn't a delete tile. The star tiles usually live on their own or wrapped completely with one of the other sets. This is the first one (that I remember) where one star gets packaged with one black block. Which then confuses me because the white and black no longer equal each other.
I'm continuing to solve the next few with relatively little thought, but it's simply by applying logic that doesn't make sense to me. I feel like I'm missing something dumb.

Reposting as I still don't have an answer I understand.
Been good about not using a guide for anything yet, but I just accidentally solved a puzzle that I couldn't figure out the rationale for. I'll try to individually spoiler tag things.

Puzzle Section:
Orange tiles with black and white squares and stars
Image: http://imgur.com/sS9v7QW
Questions on approach:
1. I solved first one keeping
two white suns together but separate from all else and splitting the square color groups.
2. I solved second one by
keeping two orange suns together but not they can apparently be mixed with the color squares. So I kept them with the white ones and split the white from the black.
3. I solved the third one (shown in picture) by
keeping black suns together but mixed with white squares which are separated from black squares.
4. This is where I'm lost. I accidentally
put the one black sun with one of the three black squares and had the rest of the white and black squares separate.
And it worked, which makes NO sense to me.

Before I continue can someone tell me what I'm missing? My approach must have been wrong on the first ones, but for some reason it still worked.

I'm still not getting the rule of the tile.
The
star isn't a delete tile. The star tiles usually live on their own or wrapped completely with one of the other sets. This is the first one (that I remember) where one star gets packaged with one black block. Which then confuses me because the white and black no longer equal each other.
I'm continuing to solve the next few with relatively little thought, but it's simply by applying logic that doesn't make sense to me. I feel like I'm missing something dumb.

The way I see it is - If there is a block and a star that are the same colour on a grid, you can substitute that same coloured block as a star. If you pair the same coloured block with the star it still counts as a pair of stars and all the rules are the same elsewhere.

BTW Jonathan confirmed on Twitter that there were no missable puzzles in the game.

Wish he had said that last night before I restarted X_x Ah well, was cool to redo Symmetry, not so cool to redo the desert though I did find some more
hidden lines
and audiologs that I now know the locations of.

How does starting a new game work? Does it branch to a new save file and keep your old ones there too?

Yes, your old save is still there so you can always go back to it.

shem935

Banned
For the life of me I cannot figure out the church door in the town center. The one with all the
stars on it similar to the treehouses. I went through that area but still can't solve it.

Top Bottom