• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Egg0

Banned
I'm still early on and just brute forced the last
tree/apple
puzzle.

I'm wondering if someone could tell me what I was missing from that puzzle.

G-Bus

Banned
I'm still early on and just brute forced the last
tree/apple
puzzle.

I'm wondering if someone could tell me what I was missing from that puzzle.
An extra branch was broken off where the apple should have been. The puzzle itself contained only two of the broken branches

Think I'm gona take a break. 215 +2 and only two
lasers
. Stuck in the marsh, tree fort, and bunker. Haven't gone anywhere else I haven't already completed. Would be nice to finish those areas before moving on any way.

N30RYU

Well, no. The tetris puzzles are just dumb. I don't see any logic, seems totally random.
Tips.

1. If the symbol isn't slightly rotated you can't rotate the shape.

2. The symbol must be contained in the shape.

3. You can add two or more shapes if all the respective symbols are inside the final shape, no matter where.

Can we please start moving the spoiler and specific puzzle discussion to the help thread?

It'd be nice to discuss the game in general here but its a minefield

Not that I could figure out - it's horrible. Spent maybe 20-30 mins standing in different locations with the water going uo and down, trying to get a decent glimpse. In the end I could get an OK look at the right hand 2/3rd but for the left side I just brute forced it - not too many combinations.

This one is tough.

I wasn't sure what the one you do just before does eithet, but I think it
lights up a lamp you need for the one you're doing now.

There are two different spots you need to stand at to get the information for the solution. One is in front of the panel, sort of halfway across the room. The other spot is close to the exit of the room, sort in front and on the left-hand side of the panel. You may not get the entire path this way, but you will get just enough information so that you can deduce the entire solution.

Nah, no need to brute force. Sounds like you missed the spot
on the left-hand side of the panel

Thanks you two. Gonna try to finish this area tonight.

icespide

Banned
Can we please start moving the spoiler and specific puzzle discussion to the help thread?

It'd be nice to discuss the game in general here but its a minefield

I tried to post reminders in here a few times but the thread it just moving way too fast. I'm trying not to nag people about it =\

They have logic, but I would say my brain found their rule set a little more complicated than most of the other puzzle types I had found to that point

for me, it's not so much a rule set problem, as it is a memory problem: if the game came with a collection of assorted tetris pieces & some grids, the puzzles'd be much easier to figure out. the problem, with the more advanced panels, is in simply trying to remember where you've placed all the pieces. being able to use actual, physical pieces would help immensely...

_RT_

An extra branch was broken off where the apple should have been. The puzzle itself contained only two of the broken branches

I loved figuring this one out.
I went up to the gate and you see the
broken branch and a cut up apple...
A HA moment.

JTripper

The treetop puzzles are maddening.
I can't figure out how to get to the door fast enough before it closes, even by moving the bridge around. I also can't figure out the green floor panels with the purple stars and purple and orange tetris blocks that don't even seem to lead anywhere except a small treehouse with a lone panel.

Exuro

Beat the game at
421 puzzles +20. Ending was kind of strange in a willy wonka sort of way. I assume there are different ones?

Some people have said they had success cutting out pieces of card and paper. I think the tetris pieces expect a little more from you but also give you a greater sense of satisfaction.

for me, it's not so much a rule set problem, as it is a memory problem: if the game came with a collection of assorted tetris pieces & some grids, the puzzles'd be much easier to figure out. the problem, with the more advanced panels, is in simply trying to remember where you've placed all the pieces. being able to use actual, physical pieces would help immensely...

I personally take a screenshot of the puzzle and paint the tetris pieces in on photoshop and move them around, other people in the thread have been using paper cutouts over grid paper or taking pictures on their phones and using different apps to doodle on them.

Closing in for now. 520 panels done, but I think I'm missing an
arrow panel

Regarding the + Puzzles and my completion rate:
Have 115 so far; Missing 3 on the Town (know where two are); Missing 2 on the Temple/Jungle; Missing 1 on the Quarry/Shady Trees; Missing 5 on the Treetops/Keep/Boat; Missing 8 on the Mountain/Marsh (know where two might be); Done with the Canyon/Desert.

So unless there's some that are NOT on the obelisks the totla adds up to 134.

Is it 700+ puzzles? Cause 520 + 134 is still less than 700 <3

OH MY GOD!!!

I FINALLY GOT THE PUZZLE WITH THE THREE TETRIS PIECES!!!

the tutorial one

I basically decided to modify the rule, and it was exactly correct! Felt real good

Then I did some more, and now Im stuck at a 4 tetris puzzle lol

Damn this is very hard

Two questions.

1. How am I supposed to check how many puzzles I've done?

2. Are the +'s just the
environmental puzzles (the river, the sun in the ruins, etc.)
?

Is it possible to get to
7 lasers
without dealing with the tetris puzzles?

I just don't think I want to put the hours in to deal with them right now.

samoset

Can anyone spoil the ruleset for the
triangles on the grey panels

It is my roadblock for (Massive Spoilers)
To access the cave under the mountain. I've gone around and been looking at the solutions for one and two triangle puzzles, but haven't figured out what the rule-set is, so I can solve the three triangle puzzle.

Gurrry

speaking of tetris puzzles, where is the original "tutorial" section for those? I dont think i understand how they work because im stuck on a few of the puzzles where those are main parts of the solution.

KingKong

It's a shame how many puzzles are the tetris/star/whatever symbol ones. They're just straight logic stuff fully contained in the panel that's not very fun compared to all the environmental ones

I think so, but you're going to have problems with what comes after if you skip understanding the Tetris pieces.

Bah, alright. I guess i'll have to put getting there on hold untiI feel like putting in the time to figure out the pieces.

It's not that I don't understand the pieces, it's that I don't feel my brain working in the way that it has to work in order to solve those puzzles. I have to get some biases out of the way. It requires some spatial awareness that I don't think I have yet. I know what i have to do, I just find myself failing to do it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel so fucking smart for solving that puzzle without any hint. So fucking smart.
It's in the village near the harbor area (right-ish of where the boat drops you of, in front of some tree). SPOILERS obviously! Seriously, don't click this unless you are sure you have solved it yourself.

Again: Spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/ZcL98wY.jpg

Here's a post I made last night laying out the rules for them. When I get time I intend to make diagrams as well to illustrate the different rules.

I still don't get it, sorry. Lol. Sometimes you are allowed to rotate them, sometimes not. Sometimes you can transform an L shape into an I (wtf, seriously) and sometimes it doesn't work.

No, it's .....eh...what. Maybe I don't get it but that's not fun. Really, it's not.

Bah, alright. I guess i'll have to put getting there on hold untiI feel like putting in the time to figure out the pieces.

It's not that I don't understand the pieces, it's that I don't feel my brain working in the way that it has to work in order to solve those puzzles. I have to get some biases out of the way. It requires some spatial awareness that I don't think I have yet. I know what i have to do, I just find myself failing to do it.

Get or print some grid paper and cut tetris pieces out of that. It helps immensely for some of the more difficult tetris puzzles.

Top Bottom