• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The one from
Skinner was kinda pretentious. I wonder if it's a pet peeve of Blow's to see his work cited incorrectly his the gaming space.

I thought the most
pet peevish one was the other one in the keep. About people getting angry when you decline to explain the meaning of your work to them.

PolishQ

I think as someone with an astronomer for a dad and a Buddhist for a mom, I have both a higher tolerance for the audio/video logs, and a leg up on understanding what they're getting at. I haven't had a problem with them at all.

Zomba13

In the (town area spoiler)
Sound room thing
and I'm stumped.
The puzzles are the ones from the Jungle but the speaker is broken and I can't hear anything.

Indeed - sounds like you've almost done it all.

Time to track down the rest of the obelisk puzzles - there's at least 100 total.

And, the thing that's intriguing me at the moment are the hints in the final cutscene. There's puzzles on the walls that are solved in different ways than they are in game, and a few other more obvious "clues." Super curious about whether they're actually going to point to one final layer of the onion.

I think I also
missed an arrow puzzle somewhere. I think someone's puzzle count is at 521 and I'm at 520, haha. (Unless the one in the 'dev ending' is valid, despite being a repeat). I'll take a look at the ending sequence again and see what I can spot!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Castle
final phase - done the four walkway mazes, noted them down on a pad. Now I'm up the tower doing the big mashup panel. But the entrances don't mesh with the exits from the previous mazes.

What to do?

I've hit a brick wall it seems. A puzzle is blocking all progress for me. It's regarding the town and if I could get a little advice would be great.
It's the door you need to open so you can solve the church door puzzle, the one where you have to make 5 tetris block while separating the colors in pairs
I know exactly what it wants me to do but I just can't seem to make it work.

I've activated every other beam so far it seems so there's little left for me to do right now without progressing towards the end and I'd rather mark off this last item before I do. I'm really not liking these blocks at all though. Anytime I get stuck these things are involved.

Castle
final phase - done the four walkway mazes, noted them down on a pad. Now I'm up the tower doing the big mashup panel. But the entrances don't mesh with the exits from the previous mazes.

What to do?

It's a bit annoying,
treat it as a separate puzzle, the path is going to be a lot different from the path you took there.

Mindlog

In the (town area spoiler)
Sound room thing
and I'm stumped.
The puzzles are the ones from the Jungle but the speaker is broken and I can't hear anything.
I accidentally did that one before the area they're found.
Think carefully about how you solved those puzzles.
Think carefully about how the puzzles are laid out.

If necessary go back to the area and look at how the puzzles are set up.

Bigger hint:
There is only one speaker.

Castle

What to do?

You need to make them line up.
Edit: One more hint
Also think about the path you took between the exit of one maze and the entrance to the other

thefil

Stuck in what I'll call the greenhouse. I've solved everything up to the elevator. I suspect I want to
deduce what "real" colour each square is by solving colour + room light for each of the lower floors
. Then, I add
yellow light to those "real" colours to skip a floor, since the next floor up would be yellow going by the wires.
Unfortunately, the rules for
colour addition
don't seem consistent! On a single rack in the first room, looking at
two sets of blue peppers through the yellow glass, I get two colours - black and red
. What gives? Am I totally on the wrong track? Am I overthinking it?

*edit* There's also
light blue and dark blue
, unless I'm insane... should I be treating
dark blue == purple
and
magenta
differently?

I figured it out. I was definitely over-thinking it. You-only need to do one "step".

Castle

For the back mazes, you can't solve the big panel using the exact path you took. Just solve it like a regular panel.

shem935

Banned
Okay there is a treehouse puzzle bugging me.
4x4 grid, 4 black squares top left, 4 white top right, 1 black star that I thought needed to have a pair but doesn't. It keeps giving me an error. Any tips?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've hit a brick wall it seems. A puzzle is blocking all progress for me. It's regarding the town and if I could get a little advice would be great.
It's the door you need to open so you can solve the church door puzzle, the one where you have to make 5 tetris block while separating the colors in pairs
I know exactly what it wants me to do but I just can't seem to make it work.

I've activated every other beam so far it seems so there's little left for me to do right now without progressing towards the end and I'd rather mark off this last item before I do. I'm really not liking these blocks at all though. Anytime I get stuck these things are involved.

Spoiler for the solution

http://i.imgur.com/nH8Myqs.jpg

Moozo

Man, these "tutorials" really aren't doing it for me. I could do with an explanation of the basic puzzle type rules.

Phionoxx

Is there not a
laser to activate
by completing the tropical forest / bamboo tree area? Think that I've completed all of the puzzle panels. Followed a pink wire that I activated but it doesn't seem to lead me anywhere with more panels.

Edit: Yup. Totally had not actually followed the pink cable enough. Figured it out.

BraXzy

So I'm at the castle with the mazes. +1 puzzle spoilers!

I just went up the clocktower and looked down and noticed the strangely circular hedge piece.. Click on it and ooh it does something. Change angle so it lines up with the first maze hedge...

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2ltYWdlcy0xLmRpc2NvcmRhcHAubmV0L2V5SjFjbXdpT2lKb2RIUndPaTh2YVM1cGJXZDFjaTVqYjIwdlRUVjJWbU4wUXk1bmFXWV9ibTl5WldScGNtVmpkQ0o5LjFZWGhTamgxRllEWGcwS1dlR2pUdzYwclNzUS5naWYifQ.d9pYM9OTsK3LHB3N7HLmGDddhsg.gif

Looking for help with a Treehouse puzzle. Image below in spoiler tag. I am absolutely dumbfounded at this one. Unless I'm completely missing some new rule...then I don't know how to finish this.

If you could just tell me if I'm missing a new rule or something minor, rather than straight up telling me the answer, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Image:http://imgur.com/yZKlUZG
The goddamn asterisk is 'embedded' within the tetris piece shape? This seemingly makes it impossible to contain both of them in my line. I'm under the impression that I'm missing something with the tetris shape ruleset because I'm also stuck with these puzzles back by the swamp. This entire treehouse area has been driving me nuts...I'm very slowly figuring out the other paths through it, but this one has me throwing my arms up in the air.

This game. Only few hours in and I just want to play it more, but I have no time atm! Goddammit!

I watched the first video in the theatre. What a huge surprise!

Looking for help with a Treehouse puzzle. Image below in spoiler tag. I am absolutely dumbfounded at this one. Unless I'm completely missing some new rule...then I don't know how to finish this.

If you could just tell me if I'm missing a new rule or something minor, rather than straight up telling me the answer, I'd greatly appreciate it.
The goddamn asterisk is 'embedded' within the tetris piece shape? This seemingly makes it impossible to contain both of them in my line. I'm under the impression that I'm missing something with the tetris shape ruleset because I'm also stuck with these puzzles back by the swamp. This entire treehouse area has been driving me nuts...I'm very slowly figuring out the other paths through it, but this one has me throwing my arms up in the air.

You are indeed missing something with the tetris rule set. Would you like me to tell you what you're missing?

Brashnir

When combined into a larger shape, the tetris shapes don't necessarily have to touch the square where they are represented.

bigger hint
try 2 over 3 rather than 3 over 2

I'm currently in the Desert area and could use a hint for
one of the hanging wheel puzzles in the water control part. This one doesn't appear to be showing a shadow line reflecting off the mirrored image regardless of where the water is. I've been fiddling around with the water settings for a good while now.

It's the one on the right: http://i.imgur.com/e5A2OtZ.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

Put the two-wide on the other side :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a bit annoying,
treat it as a separate puzzle, the path is going to be a lot different from the path you took there.

oh god that's horrible. Will look at it later.

edit: ignore me. Checked trophies and it seems I've done
11. Off to the mountain I guess :)

oh god that's horrible. Will look at it later.

10 down, where do I have left? Done

1- town
2- quarry
3- symmetry island
4- desert
5- treetops
6- swamp
7- castle
8- temple/monastery
9- bunker/greenhouse
10- shadow woods
11- ???

Wandering around and all I can see are familiar locations I've done

Now I'm this close I want to do all the main areas before progressing.

The
bamboo forest/jungle

danthefan

Can I get a hint please, have done maybe 80 puzzles, I'm in an area like a ruined village.

There's a panel with three solutions, each lighting up a cable. The first was to not cross any shadows on the panel, the second you could see the solution from upstairs, I'm totally stumped for the third.

The previous puzzle, the solution was given by the location of a red apple hanging in a tree.

I've explained that really badly but hopefully someone can make out what I'm asking.

So I'm at the castle with the mazes. +1 puzzle spoilers!

I just went up the clocktower and looked down and noticed the strangely circular hedge piece.. Click on it and ooh it does something. Change angle so it lines up with the first maze hedge...

Okay so I figured out you can click on stuff in the environment, like the circular hedge piece, and I completed the maze, but what did it do?

You're missing one of the rules of the tetris puzzles. I recommend completing the swamp first.

kAmui-

Hated that puzzle. You already know everything you need to know. It's just putting it together.

Obvious hint that doesn't help:
You need three groups of two.

Got it to work at least one way. Not the one I wanted but it's a start. The next one doesn't seem any easier either. Need to freshen up on the basics for the
blue squares

Mindlog

Can I get a hint please, have done maybe 80 puzzles, I'm in an area like a ruined village.

There's a panel with three solutions, each lighting up a cable. The first was to not cross any shadows on the panel, the second you could see the solution from upstairs, I'm totally stumped for the third.

The previous puzzle, the solution was given by the location of a red apple hanging in a tree.

I've explained that really badly but hopefully someone can make out what I'm asking.
You need to do that same thing you've already done for a third time.
Saying more might spoil too much. Hard to find the balance with hints sometimes.
Got it to work at least one way. Not the one I wanted but it's a start. The next one doesn't seem any easier either. Need to freshen up on the basics for the
blue squares
I haven't gone back to try a different direction either. I want to try moving it left more than I actually want to try moving it left if that makes sense :]
Anyone can help me with the first red tetris puzzle? I dont have a clue how to do that.

Edit: This one: http://abload.de/img/unbenanntc2srq.jpg
You know you can't use a certain set of blocks so work around that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What coloured outputs have you lit? I'm standing there now but can't exactly remember what i did

BraXzy

Okay so I figured out you can click on stuff in the environment, like the circular hedge piece, and I completed the maze, but what did it do?

I think it's related to
those weird obelisk things. The black things that are ominously scattered around. I'm 90% sure I saw the glitter-ness float into one when I completed a different one before. What it does beyond that? Who knows.

Does anyone know the location of all the
ground/arrow panels? Or at least all that you found. I think I'm missing one and I have no clue where it is :/

Dominator

I'm sitting in class and I just can't stop thinking about this game lol

Before I left, I went behind the castle and
walked to that rusted boat that's messed up. I can see some + puzzles on the deck but don't know how to initiate them, and I found an audio log on there. Is there anything else to this wrecked ship?

Top Bottom