• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If you're planning on 100% the game, then yes. You'll know when you'll be able to.

Is it that obvious when that'll be possible? I wanna do this (I'm kinda kicking myself for even watching that video though), don't know what's
on the other side yet thought, so there's that.

icespide

Banned
me after finishing the swamp tetris puzzles last night:

giphy.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One thing I actually surprises me is that my children (all of them are under the age of 10) are absolutely enthralled by this game. They love the combination of puzzles plus the added exploration.

gdt

I feel like I got the Tetris puzzles now.....but I'm stuck on a new green one after the hard red ones. The last green one after that.

It's the one with squares but they are separated with a gap. I feel like I figured it out but the solution doesn't work for some reason.

Yogg

Done with my third evening on the game with 383 puzzles + 70, 10 lasers (including 1
pointing at a cloud, I haven't figured what to do with it
). I'm at the flower place stuck at the elevator, I suppose I'll have to
study the different color transformations on the ground floor to figure out how to reach the upper floors?

I can't get enough of this game!

I still don't get it, sorry. Lol. Sometimes you are allowed to rotate them, sometimes not. Sometimes you can transform an L shape into an I (wtf, seriously) and sometimes it doesn't work.

No, it's .....eh...what. Maybe I don't get it but that's not fun. Really, it's not.

Well, for the rotation, pay attention to the symbol itself. In my tips I say what it is that determines that, so not sure how that's creating an issue. As for symbols transforming
are you including a hollow blue square in the shape? Those are a completely different symbol that, well, you can see how they work.

The Tetris puzzles are the absolute worst part of the game.

They're my favorite part actually...

I do find how many people just don't GET them to be odd. Once you do understand, it's just so clear and obvious how they work, yet people seem intent to overcomplicate them. The stars are much more complicated than the Tetris pieces!

kAmui-

Question/spoiler about what happens when you beat an area:
How many lasers are there and how many of them do you have to get to "finish" the game? And can you continue doing puzzles after that?

Is it that obvious when that'll be possible? I wanna do this (I'm kinda kicking myself for even watching that video though), don't know what's
on the other side yet thought, so there's that.

It was, at least for me. You'll get a clue showing something that there's only one other of on the island. Don't wanna say more because the thought process behind it is great, though!

icespide

Banned
so
as I've been unlocking lasers, I haven't investigated or try to aim them or anything, am I screwed if I don't do those as I unlock them or is it something I can easily do later?

Okay the puzzle (Castle spoilers)
at the top of the belltower, with the black and white blocks, is killing me.

From what I can tell the horizontal four block tetris piece must go in a singular location, and that's ruining everything.

Question/spoiler about what happens when you beat an area:
How many lasers are there and how many of them do you have to get to "finish" the game? And can you continue doing puzzles after that?

It's not really a spoiler at this point but
there's 11 total and you need 7 to see the ending. Nothing stopping you from doing more though! There is a definite ending you can trigger once you light the 7 beacons, but once you get it you can just load a save from right before you trigger it to go around and continue playing from where you were.

dLMN8R

Okay there is a treehouse puzzle bugging me.
4x4 grid, 4 black squares top left, 4 white top right, 1 black star that I thought needed to have a pair but doesn't. It keeps giving me an error. Any tips?

Same here. The puzzle with
only a single star
is killing me

Okay there is a treehouse puzzle bugging me.
4x4 grid, 4 black squares top left, 4 white top right, 1 black star that I thought needed to have a pair but doesn't. It keeps giving me an error. Any tips?

Same here. The puzzle with
only a single star
is killing me

One of the things about this game is that it's constantly teaching you new things and making you question what you learned. If what you think you know clearly isn't possible... Well, just means it's time to learn again, right? Go on, don't ever be afraid to experiment with the panels: they'll tell you if a shape's rules are met or not after all!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can anyone spoil the ruleset for the
triangles on the grey panels

It is my roadblock for (Massive Spoilers)
To access the cave under the mountain. I've gone around and been looking at the solutions for one and two triangle puzzles, but haven't figured out what the rule-set is, so I can solve the three triangle puzzle.

One triangle = only one line segment can border the square. Two triangles = two line segments must border the square. They're a little tricky, but not nearly as bad as some of the other stuff you've already cleared.

Phear

The 1 Star Puzzles were my only gripe so far. I think Mr Blow should've done them in a different order. First one you encouter really melts your brain, the following ones are so easy and should've been the "learning" ones imo..

Just a heads up,
You can subtract from shapes, there's a certain mechanic that asks you to do exactly that. There's a tutorial for it that starts off very basic somewhere.

Yes, I know,
but I wanted to keep that just about Tetris pieces and not spoil any other mechanics. The tutorial for hollow blue squares makes it pretty clear what they're doing, and I don't want to take all the fun away from people.

dLMN8R

One of the things about this game is that it's constantly teaching you new things and making you question what you learned. If what you think you know clearly isn't possible... Well, just means it's time to learn again, right? Go on, don't ever be afraid to experiment with the panels: they'll tell you if a shape's rules are met or not after all!

Yeah, I'm not actually looking for someone to tell me the answer. The fact that it's killing me is why I love this game :)

I'll continue exploring and experimenting....

Okay, I don't suppose anyone has managed to get that one trophy yet, have they? You know, the one that has seemingly nothing to do with the rest of the game?

JTripper

Swamp trouble:
The hollow blue cubes with the tetris pieces are fucking killing me. I'm on the 4th one in the blue basement with the 4-cube and 2 tetris pieces and it is breaking my mind trying to figure this out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any clues as to where I should stand?
I swear I banged my head against this puzzle for about an hour last night before I moved on.
Far back as you can looking mostly straight on at it. You have some wiggle room moving forwards/back as the water rises or falls. If you sketch out what you can see, and the overall pattern, you should be able to reduce the permutations a lot.

Edit: oh hydrophiliac pointed out another location to stand. Could have sworn I'd tried everything but like so many puzzles, I clearly didn't :)

I still don't get it, sorry. Lol. Sometimes you are allowed to rotate them, sometimes not. Sometimes you can transform an L shape into an I (wtf, seriously) and sometimes it doesn't work.

No, it's .....eh...what. Maybe I don't get it but that's not fun. Really, it's not.

You can never "transform" something into another shape. Just imagine the entire area you draw as a single blob. All of the pieces inside that blob have to fit inside that blob, but it doesn't matter where. Just consider the blob you've drawn, and ask yourself "is there any way to arrange all the pieces into a shape that fits the blob I've drawn, where pieces can't be rotated"

The 1 Star Puzzles were my only gripe so far. I think Mr Blow should've done them in a different order. First one you encouter really melts your brain, the following ones are so easy and should've been the "learning" ones imo..

I kind of like that they're in this order. It makes you immediately go "WAIT, what? What's going on, how is this possible!" So most people will then get stuck there for a while. Some will wander off and do something else, but eventually most will end up messing around with random lines on the panel out of either experimentation or desperation. Eventually one of those lines will result in the star NOT flashing, hopefully leading to the realization of just what the trick is. The following panels then serve to plainly tell you what you just learned just in case you did get it but aren't entirely clear HOW.

Being stuck in this game is really just PART of the game. I honestly should step back from giving out so many tips actually as people really shouldn't be asking for them in the first place. Not like I'm innocent, heh u_u

sometimes i have no idea what i'm doing, but am able to solve puzzles. at those times, i don't feel like i'm learning anything.

I have not touched the game for today.

I do not know why. I guess my mind is just subconsciously afraid.
your brain is solving puzzles while you sleep, try again.

samoset

One triangle = only one line segment can border the square. Two triangles = two line segments must border the square. They're a little tricky, but not nearly as bad as some of the other stuff you've already cleared.

Thank you so much!
My mind got stuck on associating them with upward line motion (E.g. if a triangle was present then I would have to solve it with only upward directions, like an arrow pointing up)

Swamp trouble:
The hollow blue cubes with the tetris pieces are fucking killing me. I'm on the 4th one in the blue basement with the 4-cube and 2 tetris pieces and it is breaking my mind trying to figure this out.

okay you've probably gone through a few theories of what that blue one actually does by now right?
Try doing the yellow tetris block on the panel, get it as close to the tetris block as you can.

If it works you may still not understand it, so try again.

There's atleast two solutions and you should be able to gain some level of understanding after finishing this part,you'll continue to learn them in the next part.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For the life of me I cannot figure out the church door in the town center. The one with all the
stars on it similar to the treehouses. I went through that area but still can't solve it.

You have to do something else before that panel.

I'm going to post this here too because I didn't come back from work just to get stuck at the first puzzle I face:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193597517&postcount=32

It may look correct, but if you look close you can see a branch or two look out of place. You're either too close or too far. It got me too at first. it looks like a branch just crosses off access to the bottom right corner because it's slightly off angle. Oh and check the floor.

wouwie

Just a small question about the Tetris blocks. The ones that aren't flashing red, are these blocks that are correctly traced in the final solution? Or does it mean that you just followed the correct rules for these but the end solution might look completely different?

You can never "transform" something into another shape. Just imagine the entire area you draw as a single blob. All of the pieces inside that blob have to fit inside that blob, but it doesn't matter where. Just consider the blob you've drawn, and ask yourself "is there any way to arrange all the pieces into a shape that fits the blob I've drawn, where pieces can't be rotated"

I did but it didn't work. Apparently you have to transform "L" into I". Or maybe I didn't get it, lol.

And then there's a combination of
the colour and the tetris puzzle. Normally you have to seperate the colours from each other.....but...now there's a solution where black and blue are in the same "environment". I just don't get it. It's too much.
I don't see the logic and may have to use youtube. That's not what I want. A little bit explanation (in the game!!!) would be helpful.

I'm going to post this here too because I didn't come back from work just to get stuck at the first puzzle I face:

I was stuck on that one for a while and don't want to give it away but... Just look at the cutout some more and think about WHY that solution isn't right. It seems it should be right but isn't, so what are you missing? There's gotta be something you're missing, right?

I wish people wouldn't outright spoil the solution while I was figuring out how to word a hint so as to not give it away... Honestly, SOLUTIONS shouldn't be allowed in this thread :S

mrklaw

MrArseFace

That was a little trial and error for me too. There are two spots where you could try another route. Can't remember which works but try both

right corner and top corner you can go around and still be within the branches.

I was stuck on that one for a while and don't want to give it away but... Just look at the cutout some more and think about WHY that solution isn't right. It seems it should be right but isn't, so what are you missing? There's gotta be something you're missing, right?

Oh shit there was a logical reason after all - just spotted it :)

icespide

Banned
Just a small question about the Tetris blocks. The ones that aren't flashing red, are these blocks that are correctly traced in the final solution? Or does it mean that you just followed the correct rules for these but the end solution might look completely different?

the latter

shem935

Banned
Having a hell of a time getting the
secret door down by the beach open. Tons of black hexagons to run through. I'm assuming I need to negate the cross piece with the floor blue blocks available and fit in the 3x1 somewhere but it just isn't coming to me.

Top Bottom