• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Mindlog

I hope these puzzles were vetted for epilepsy lol.
Having a hell of a time getting the
secret door down by the beach open. Tons of black hexagons to run through. I'm assuming I need to negate the cross piece with the floor blue blocks available and fit in the 3x1 somewhere but it just isn't coming to me.
That one took me a while as well.
Vague hint spoilered just in case.
Everything you assumed is correct.

I think I really lucked out on the Quarry as the basic premise of the new rule
that operator that negates and requires one error
clicked pretty much immediately and I blew threw that whole area.

I'm finally starting the sun temple, and if that lone panel is the tutorial, I'm in a world of shit as it clearly didn't click for me.

I still dont understand how the

green and red blocks work with this x-style thing. I mean I get before that this x always needs one dot inside, but now with those red and green blocks I dont have a clue what to do.

I'm finally starting the sun temple, and if that lone panel is the tutorial, I'm in a world of shit as it clearly didn't click for me.

Walk around a bit.
The reflection of the sun shows you which path to take.

Finally got stuck. I'm in the
colored water area? Don't know exactly what it is. For some reason I can't head back and I'm stuck until I figure this puzzle out. Taking a break before I jump back into it.

Here's exactly where I am. Obvious spoilers at link. http://imgur.com/a/UYolW

I have a question.. don't really want a solution I just want to know if this puzzle is solvable with basically all the knowledge i have to solve the puzzles to get here?

I'm talking specifically about the 3rd image in that link-- and the 2nd puzzle on the door behind it.

I feel like I understand it but also feel like it's almost impossible since i can't retrace over a line or go forward then back.

Anyone get these feelings around this part? Should I just keep trucking? I don't want to look up the answer if there is one possible but I also don't want to waste time if it's something I just flat out didn't know I could do that's need to solve it.

pringles

Just started, played maybe 30-40 minutes. Game is gorgeous but can't say I'm hooked yet. I'm just aimlessly walking around, coming across puzzles, solving the ones I'm able to and walking aimlessly somewhere else when I'm not able to solve one. I keep seeing things that I can't activate, looking around, not finding anything and moving on. I guess things will get more clear eventually but early on I feel like I'm missing something, like there's something more to the controls and I'm supposed to be doing something that I'm not. I found a little secret area right at the start with some kind of 'audio diary' thing, that was nice but I haven't found anything resembling a story element since then.

What control method is everyone using? Played with the 360 Controller but it just felt a little bit too sluggish. Game seems designed with the WiiU Gamepad in mind. Maybe KB+M is better.

Belfast

One of the things about this game is that it's constantly teaching you new things and making you question what you learned. If what you think you know clearly isn't possible... Well, just means it's time to learn again, right? Go on, don't ever be afraid to experiment with the panels: they'll tell you if a shape's rules are met or not after all!

And if you look at the philosophy presented in the game, it very often asks you to "question what you think."

Sai-kun

Banned
A little late (i think) endgame help, please?

I just got to the bottom of the mountain,
and I solved the big symmetry puzzle, and got to a room with the floor switch and two randomized puzzles. I solved those fine...but the stone person in the center of the room is holding a grey panel with those little orange triangles on it. I thought the amount of turns you take as you get to the end would count for it but I'm not so sure about this one.

I have a question.. don't really want a solution I just want to know if this puzzle is solvable with basically all the knowledge i have to solve the puzzles to get here?

I'm talking specifically about the 3rd image in that link-- and the 2nd puzzle on the door behind it.

I feel like I understand it but also feel like it's almost impossible since i can't retrace over a line or go forward then back.

Anyone get these feelings around this part? Should I just keep trucking? I don't want to look up the answer if there is one possible but I also don't want to waste time if it's something I just flat out didn't know I could do that's need to solve it.

The red panels introduced a new rule you did not know before. Its kind of stupid. If you want to know the answer, check the next spoiler.

As long as the pieces are inside one of those "walls" together, you can move them "almost" wherever you want

Mindlog

The
endgame
ones? I was thinking that myself...
Without warning someone susceptible to epileptic seizures could be in for a bad surprise...
Yes. I had to take a break there. I was due anyway. (my reaction to a game section)
The puzzles are giving me a good laugh.

Agreed on the theme of building on what you know by encountering something impossible than adjusting accordingly. I've been really pleased with how new elements are introduced by 'breaking' old rules to expand on them.

JTripper

I still don't get the quarry. What I understand is
that there needs to be one error in the area with the white gear, except it also seems like the outside ones HAVE to be separated if there is both a red and green switch are together.

A little late (i think) endgame help, please?

I just got to the bottom of the mountain,
and I solved the big symmetry puzzle, and got to a room with the floor switch and two randomized puzzles. I solved those fine...but the stone person in the center of the room is holding a grey panel with those little orange triangles on it. I thought the amount of turns you take as you get to the end would count for it but I'm not so sure about this one.

First of all, nice for being able to activate that panel on your way down. I missed and wandered randomly for a long time, haha. Secondly, have you solved any triangle puzzles yet? There are 12 throughout the island that teach you their rules

If you want the rule:
one triangle means that you can only touch the square on one side, two means you need to touch it in two, three means you need to touch it in three

Good luck with what's on the other side! (it's a doozy)

G-Bus

Banned
I feel so fucking smart for solving that puzzle without any hint. So fucking smart.
It's in the village near the harbor area (right-ish of where the boat drops you of, in front of some tree). SPOILERS obviously! Seriously, don't click this unless you are sure you have solved it yourself.

Again: Spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/ZcL98wY.jpg

Dude.. Wtf. I couldn't get that one. Stumbled upon it randomly, knew what to do almost immediately... but I guess not. Where I was standing wasn't correct. It all lined up still.. Dammit.

I've stopped playing but I can't stop reading this thread. Reading makes me want to go back and play. Oh boy :(

The red panels introduced a new rule you did not know before. Its kind of stupid. If you want to know the answer, check the next spoiler.

As long as the pieces are inside one of those "walls" together, you can move them "almost" wherever you want

Damn this clue still didn't help me. I'm gonna sit and think on it for awhile but damn I want to know sooo bad.

Thanks for the tip.

Far back as you can looking mostly straight on at it. You have some wiggle room moving forwards/back as the water rises or falls. If you sketch out what you can see, and the overall pattern, you should be able to reduce the permutations a lot.

Edit: oh hydrophiliac pointed out another location to stand. Could have sworn I'd tried everything but like so many puzzles, I clearly didn't :)

Thanks you two. I got it first go! I don't know how I missed that other spot by the exit.

ugh I am at a speed bump in
Orange forest

Some of the branch openings are off the board, am I supposed to use them like puzzle pieces?

cyba89

Finished the final mystery. That was freaking amazing. :D

Never would have thought a puzzle game would make my pulse go up that much. I finished the last pillar literally on the final note (kinda brute forced it).
The whole cave area is really great. Love how connected it all is to the island.
I'm currently at 492 panels solved. Skipped a lot in the caves. I have to go back for these. I'm also still missing hexagon note #5. Don't know where that is.

Sai-kun

Banned
First of all, nice for being able to activate that panel on your way down. I missed and wandered randomly for a long time, haha. Secondly, have you solved any triangle puzzles yet? There are 12 throughout the island that teach you their rules

If you want the rule:
one triangle means that you can only touch the square on one side, two means you need to touch it in two, three means you need to touch it in three

Good luck with what's on the other side! (it's a doozy)

Yeah, I think I may have actually gotten all/most of them as I played :D

also lol I googled it because I think I only sort of fully understand the rule, and the only good link was to a post earlier up this page.

So if there's a panel with three triangles, I have to somehow fully touch 3 of the sides before completing it? That seems impossible given that the start and end points are on the opposite side of the panel.

also I got impatient and solved the random panels but haven't wandered outside yet haha, I don't wanna move on until I figure this thing out

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Nothing, but hopefully resetting myself. Because no matter how many times people explained those puzzles last night, I didn't get it. Worst part of the game for me so far.

Interesting approach, I would have just moved on to a different area for the time being.

Mindlog

Time for completely vague quick hits.
Has ANYONE managed to solve the puzzle on the orange container with the blue paint on it? I'm still stuck on it lol
Yes.
ugh I am at a speed bump in
Orange forest

Some of the branch openings are off the board, am I supposed to use them like puzzle pieces?
To answer the question; No. All of the puzzles work the same way.
Man nothing else has stumped me, but I just do not know what to do with the panels in the Monestary
The answer is there.

:]

Interesting approach, I would have just moved on to a different area for the time being.
I can speed through the early stuff anyways. I mainly wanted to redo all the tetris stuff from scratch. People told me solutions and that didn't help, and actually further effed me up. It's not as time consuming as it sounds.

shrug

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The answer is there.

:]

Everything I can think of that would map to the panel, from
the grid on the back windows to the flagstones to the tiny branches sticking off of the central tree
just doesn't seem to mean anything

EDIT
goddamnit there it is, I just didn't have the right angle

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I can speed through the early stuff anyways. I mainly wanted to redo all the tetris stuff from scratch. People told me solutions and that didn't help, and actually further effed me up. It's not as time consuming as it sounds.

shrug

You know you can re-do panels even if you have solved them before. Just wanted you to be aware of that for the next time.

TheRed

Swamp trouble:
The hollow blue cubes with the tetris pieces are fucking killing me. I'm on the 4th one in the blue basement with the 4-cube and 2 tetris pieces and it is breaking my mind trying to figure this out.
I'm in the same place but actually just completed that one, the next panel though is just wtf haha, I feel like a lot of these new ideas in the tetris are introduced too harshly.

@cyba89 I don't want to quote so I don't see that spoiler but if by final mystery you mean stuff beyond the 7 beacon endgame and ending, can you answer just one question (without spoiling me):
Does the game ever tell you more concrete details about the nature of the island or does it remain ambiguous even then?
Yes/no would be fine!

holy crap this is the most unplayable game i've played in years. it's crashing my pc, blue screens, display driver errors...everything.

i really wanna play it too because the few hours I've had with it were so good. goty material but this is kind of tainting my opinion of it at the moment. apparently it's a pretty common issue on the steam forums.

should have got it for ps4 :(

me after finishing the swamp tetris puzzles last night:

giphy.gif

LOL god these are difficult. I'm still early in them too. I was working on the first one with the different colored blocks for like 10 minutes and I ended up taking a break.

Top Bottom