• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

cyba89

@cyba89 I don't want to quote so I don't see that spoiler but if by final mystery you mean stuff beyond the 7 beacon endgame and ending, can you answer just one question (without spoiling me):
Does the game ever tell you more concrete details about the nature of the island or does it remain ambiguous even then?
Yes/no would be fine!

It's certainly up to interpretation, but after the ending I think I have a pretty good (or at least vague) idea what this game is about. But I probably have to think a bit more about it.

JerkShep

Forest - Monastery connection/shortcut spoiler

So there's a door that connects the Forest and the Monastery. Coming from the forest, It's near another door which I managed to open using some tree branches as a reference but I can't open the shortcut. I guess I have to do something with the shadows but I can't see a pattern

Bought it last night, really enjoying it so far, the art direction is really nice in this (reminds me of Myst in a way) and I like the line puzzles, though some aren't obvious as to their structures to follow. 103 total solved after getting on another couple of hours tonight including a laser.

It's crazy how I can feel so stumped on a puzzle and get it almost immediately after coming back from a break. Of course that kind of thing applies to a lot of stuff, but still.

I believe I have like 130 after 13 hours or so.

Oh dang 13 hours? I got to where I am by like 5 hours tops. The rate at which i'm solving them has been slowing though.

Regarding the
bird
puzzles. I started struggling with them fairly quickly and so decided the best way to solve them was to
record audio and analyze the waveform patterns in audacity to solve them.
It worked perfectly for the few I tried it on. That's not crazy, right? Right!?

This game is so cool.

Well it's all about pitch, so yeah the waveforms will go up and down which gives you what you need to answer. I found that section really easy though once I realised what I was doing. Just listen for the melody (there might be two overlapping, only one is correct) and make a mental note of the pitches, so a bird might go "high pitch, low pitch, high pitch, mid pitch" and then move the line high, low or in the middle. The second panels the size of the shapes determines pitch; the smaller the shape the higher the pitch, and you line over them in the same order as the melody.

Okay, I am completely baffled by the "+" puzzles.
I don't think I've found a single one (they show in the Load Game count, right?), and the one I think I have found I don't know how to do. Can someone explain how they work/trigger/register? I'm clearly missing something.

Brashnir

Do the tetris pieces have to be IN the tetris shape?

not necessarily. They have to be in the overall shape of all combined tetris pieces if they're combined with another piece, but they do not need to be directly in the same exact piece.

I don't think I've found a single one (they show in the Load Game count, right?), and the one I think I have found I don't know how to do. Can someone explain how they work/trigger/register? I'm clearly missing something.

You're on your own there. Not spoiling that one.

mekes

Question about the desert area.

Is the desert laser not supposed to be pointing at the mountain? Its the only one so far that seems to be pointing elsewhere?

Any help appreciated!!

Never mind, I think I've just found the solution! :)

I cannot figure out this like 7th/last
bird
puzzle. Pretty sure I don't care, anyone mind spoiling the solution for me?

Nevermind, got it. I guess, lol. Dumb.

Question about the desert area.

Is the desert laser not supposed to be pointing at the mountain? Its the only one so far that seems to be pointing elsewhere?

Any help appreciated!!

Follow it and it should be quite clear what to do when you get to where it's going.

Being spoiled on these is one of the worst things that can happen (trust me, I was spoiled on them before the game even came out). But if you want a hint, try climbing the mountain and check out the panel on its peak. It may not look like much, but just observe it and let it come to you...

Me right now
svq8VgZ.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you sure we're talking about the right puzzle?
This is what I'm seeing from the window. Even if I had a good view, the panel would be tiny from this distance.

http://i.imgur.com/I8Kzh7X.jpg

No :p

Seeing that other reply made me realise that might be a different one. You're in the bunker / greenhouse, right?

And you can look at something for reference, then get closer to do the puzzle.

I was so sure I was going to ration this game but I've done over 300 puzzles now. I think I'll try and take a step back and enjoy it a bit more. Rushing these games feels wasteful.

Brashnir

Regarding the
bird
puzzles. I started struggling with them fairly quickly and so decided the best way to solve them was to
record audio and analyze the waveform patterns in audacity to solve them.
It worked perfectly for the few I tried it on. That's not crazy, right? Right!?

This game is so cool.

It's both kind of crazy, and yet the perfect kind of crazy for this game. nice work.

Well it's all about pitch, so yeah the waveforms will go up and down which gives you what you need to answer. I found that section really easy though once I realised what I was doing. Just listen for the melody (there might be two overlapping, only one is correct) and make a mental note of the pitches, so a bird might go "high pitch, low pitch, high pitch, mid pitch" and then move the line high, low or in the middle. The second panels the size of the shapes determines pitch; the smaller the shape the higher the pitch, and you line over them in the same order as the melody.

Yeah I solved several that way and understood it. I did the
waveform
thing mainly for fun, to see if it would work and it did and I love that.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This fucking game. Bless thy soul, Mr. Blow.
Also waaaay more fun at times to play with another friend. Both minds chipping away like mad for the solution. The "ahaaa!" moments are even intensified like crazy. Love this stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, 9 areas solved (treehouse has me stumped at the moment and I haven't touched the village)

Figure its time to see whats on the mountain

HoodWinked

heres something that happened to me there are these symmetrical puzzles
with the yellow and blue lines, the yellow one begins to fade but it looks dithered and not a smooth fade out so i actually thought it was some kind of artifacting or clipping visual bug with my graphics card at first lol.

Veelk

Banned
Now join me in being stuck on the next puzzle!!!

If you mean the one immediately after that, I managed to get that one fast. If you mean after the next door opens with the 6 colors filling up each panel, yeah, I'm just screaming internally here. Not enough to ask for help yet though.

Stoze

I solved a certain house in the town. Damn that's some clever shit. The entire town in general is just masterful design imo.

Been holding off on what I assume is the ending for as long as possible, I'm gonna head over there at 10 lasers. I have the 11th ready to be activated, but I want to make sure I don't miss a lesser ending or something. No clue if it even works like that, I haven't been spoiled on anything in this game yet despite browsing this thread (very, very carefully).

Based on impressions I'm very excited, and I'm also expecting some difficult puzzles.

Gold_Loot

Bah. Banging my head on this one ... Hard to explain without a picture but (the peninsula with the double liners)
the double line puzzle with a black dot on top and bottom with a metal bar separating the lines.
I'm sure it's some silly I'm not seeing . any hints?

Top Bottom