• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Finished the final mystery. That was freaking amazing. :D

Never would have thought a puzzle game would make my pulse go up that much. I finished the last pillar literally on the final note (kinda brute forced it).
The whole cave area is really great. Love how connected it all is to the island.
I'm currently at 492 panels solved. Skipped a lot in the caves. I have to go back for these. I'm also still missing hexagon note #5. Don't know where that is.

Nice, good job!
I really loved the cave too and the final challenge was incredibly fun. One of my favourite areas <3

#5 should be clear when you're exploring for the + puzzles. It's (incredibly vague hint) on a place you probably didn't explore that much.

Yeah, I think I may have actually gotten all/most of them as I played :D

also lol I googled it because I think I only sort of fully understand the rule, and the only good link was to a post earlier up this page.

So if there's a panel with three triangles, I have to somehow fully touch 3 of the sides before completing it? That seems impossible given that the start and end points are on the opposite side of the panel.

also I got impatient and solved the random panels but haven't wandered outside yet haha, I don't wanna move on until I figure this thing out

Not for the whole panel, but for each square. So you need to touch three sides of each square with three triangles.

@cyba89 I don't want to quote so I don't see that spoiler but if by final mystery you mean stuff beyond the 7 beacon endgame and ending, can you answer just one question (without spoiling me):
Does the game ever tell you more concrete details about the nature of the island or does it remain ambiguous even then?
Yes/no would be fine!

Not 100%, but I think I can pretty much draw an idea regarding it, and the final challenge/connecting areas help a lot. For me the 'sun' symbol that's everywhere is the central piece of the story and a lot of the component is the creative process and getting knowledge

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've gotta say, after listening to the Bombcast about this, I'm starting to wonder when that stuff is going to start happening to me.

I'm 253 puzzles in, and it's been disappointingly rote as an experience so far, with some clever ideas to break up the areas but at no point have I had any feeling like they were going on about during their discussion.

Shahadan

378 + 67 :D

Lasers done as well. I kinda don't want to go where they meet and finish the game, especially since I don't know what new game plus does. Did we get more info ?

*Splinter

378 + 67 :D

Lasers done as well. I kinda don't want to go where they meet and finish the game, especially since I don't know what new game plus does. Did we get more info ?
It's very obvious when you are stepping in to "The End", so you can just save there (by checking your score) and then return to it after watching the ending.

AgeEighty

Am I just dense?

In the bamboo forest, I did all the sound puzzles and activated a pink wire that appears to lead toward the twisted tree in the center. That tree is now moaning and has pink light on it, neither of which were happening before. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do with this tree. Nothing in this area seems interactive. If the pink wire goes elsewhere I certainly can't find where.

Any hints? Am I on completely the wrong track?

Shahadan

Am I just dense?

In the bamboo forest, I did all the sound puzzles and activated a pink wire that appears to lead toward the twisted tree in the center. That tree is now moaning and has pink light on it, neither of which were happening before. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do with this tree. Nothing in this area seems interactive. If the pink wire goes elsewhere I certainly can't find where.

It goes to the laser of the zone iirc. It's a bit hard to find.

It's very obvious when you are stepping in to "The End", so you can just save there (by checking your score) and then return to it after watching the ending.

Okay thanks!

*Splinter

Am I just dense?

Keep looking. For some reason it took me ages to find where you are supposed to go, even though it's a tiny area and looks obvious once you've found it :/

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The second to last puzzle on the second set in the house by the mountain is driving me insane.

I'm supposed to isolate the colors. But I'm half convinced it's impossible and blow is just trolling me here.

LINK images...don't embed them!

Why...just why is this correct? It doesn't make any sense to me..

(Swamp spoiler)

http://imgur.com/bSEXHTU

The most left and most right piece are
interlocked to create that 2x3 block

Sai-kun

Banned
Not for the whole panel, but for each square. So you need to touch three sides of each square with three triangles.

DUH, lol. I took a quick break and figured it out almost immediately after I came back. Now to...
actually solve the puzzle behind the cave door. After everything I've done in the mountain, why is this stupid black and white square puzzle so difficult, lmao

*Splinter

Why...just why is this correct? It doesn't make any sense to me..

(Swamp spoiler)

http://imgur.com/bSEXHTU
The L is tilted, so you can rotate it. You've rotated and put it bottom left.

The two weird bits combine to make a 2x3 block, which you've put bottom right.

Since these 3 parts all touch, they don't have to touch their respective markers. The combined shape is covering all three.

Finally you have the solo block on its own at the top.

*Splinter

Which one? The one on the right?
I assume the three loose blocks mean three single blocks together. There's a row of three of those vertically on the far left and far right. Between them is the "L" shape, but it's inverted horizontally from the way it shows on the block
You can't invert, but it's been rotated.
Also that's not what three loose blocks means

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed with some of the puzzles, namely
the ones playing on perspective
, they're not very precise. I get what to do, but the correct path still had several possibilities.
Some of the puzzles are just not fun to execute too
like walking on the correct path or drawing the recap of the 4 labyrinths
Some are a bit cheap as well like
the ones with the color filters
, once you know the cheap trick, it's a cakewalk. The rules within a same area change without any clues.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do you know your progress?

Anyway played two or three hours. It's kinda lame tbh. The only narrative is some sparse psychobabble nonsense and the puzzles have been pretty easy, if occasionally obtuse. I prefer riddles to puzzles, the latter often being more monotonous than fun.

Idk. Pretty game, but not really doing anything for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any apps I can use to test solutions on my phone?

"You doodle" for iOS was recommended to me and it was really helpful. You can hit a button to use the camera to take a photo of your TV/monitor, then quickly draw over it with quick undo. It made some of the later is puzzles much simpler to visualise.

Brannon

This game.

Saw some weird tetris pieces and couldn't make heads or tails of them, so I called it a night.

TWO MINUTES LATER I suddenly get it. But I've played too much. I'll wait until tomorrow to smash that one :p

How do you know your progress?

Anyway played two or three hours. It's kinda lame tbh. The only narrative is some sparse psychobabble nonsense and the puzzles have been pretty easy, if occasionally obtuse. I prefer riddles to puzzles, the latter often being more monotonous than fun.

Idk. Pretty game, but not really doing anything for me.

Pause menu and go to load game, top save will show you your stats.

It's always been advertised as a puzzle game so I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting... Of course it's going to have plenty of puzzles.

I do kind of wish though that Blow had kept the original audio logs which more directly spoke to the player instead of changing them to the quotes, but... I won't lie, as I hear more of the quotes and
video clips
I keep thinking of how they relate to just what all I am seeing and doing here on the island. So they're not completely random: they're more topical than it may seem at first.

Zomba13

Finished it with
438, +84
Puzzles solved (I still have some more puzzles to do though).

EDIT:My mistake, I was an idiot who couldn't look down.

Finished it with
438, +84
Puzzles solved (I still have some more puzzles to do though).

EDIT: Oh, I do not like this
It starts you off at the start, 0 completion and the last save was inside the point of no return where you hit a switch to trigger the ending
Last save before that is around 40 puzzles fewer.

Turn around and look down, it's not a point of no return :p

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Pause menu and go to load game, top save will show you your stats.

It's always been advertised as a puzzle game so I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting... Of course it's going to have plenty of puzzles.

I do kind of wish though that Blow had kept the original audio logs which more directly spoke to the player instead of changing them to the quotes, but... I won't lie, as I hear more of the quotes and
video clips
I keep thinking of how they relate to just what all I am seeing and doing here on the island. So they're not completely random: they're more topical than it may seem at first.
Yeah, look I'm not trying to dump on the game, I mean I bought it right? I think that entitles me to a post in the OT saying I'm lukewarm on it after the first few hours. Yeah it's a puzzle game, but these are a certain kind of puzzle that, so far, not really doing anything for me.

Thanks though, for the info about checking progress.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, look I'm not trying to dump on the game, I mean I bought it right? I think that entitles me to a post in the OT saying I'm lukewarm on it after the first few hours. Yeah it's a puzzle game, but these are a certain kind of puzzle that, so far, not really doing anything for me.

Thanks though, for the info about checking progress.

Well, I kind of feel bad for you because the puzzles are always going to stick to the same panels but the rules switch up. Hope you enjoy it in the later game.

SilentRob

Really not enjoying the tilted tetris puzzles too much...I just end up going through all the possibilities on paper until I arrive on one that works. There's no real feeling of "getting it", because I already got it, I just have to go through the motions to find the real constellation. I guess you could describe most of the puzzles like this, but with the tilted tetris blocks it just feels like trying all the possibilities one after the other on paper is the only way instead of actually thinking about what I'm doing or approaching the puzzle from a different perspective.

Regarding the
bird
puzzles. I started struggling with them fairly quickly and so decided the best way to solve them was to
record audio and analyze the waveform patterns in audacity to solve them.
It worked perfectly for the few I tried it on. That's not crazy, right? Right!?

This game is so cool.

Edit: top of page pic!

24035592893_d66b1552fa_o_d.png

Top Bottom