• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Where the hell is the tutorial for these puzzles in the desert area that kinda look like the Empire symbol in Star Wars and have multiple ending nodes

I cant figure this shit out

man, the file size of this game is small but most of it must be attributed to the
long videos in the underground area

Definitely liked the
BBC
bit better than the
Russian art film
scene :p

jett

D-Member
Mindlog said:

The late game puzzle is the one
Inside the mountain, where you have to work with multiple panels at the same time.

The treetop panel is just this garbage one with a RIDICULOUS tetris block.

Brashnir

Where the hell is the tutorial for these puzzles in the desert area that kinda look like the Empire symbol in Star Wars and have multiple ending nodes

I cant figure this shit out

That is the tutorial area. It took me a while to see it, but eventually, the solution will be staring right at you.

G-Bus

Banned
I think The Witness is a special game for it's fundamental approach to challenge and reward, but you can't say I'm wrong when I say it's discouraging to face complicated puzzle followed by an ever more complicated puzzle. It keeps me going for sure, but it absolutely makes me want to take a breath and say, "here we go again" after the brief satisfaction of the previous puzzle fades.

Not sure what you want. The big pay off is the laser. It's like playing mario and wanting some big reward for a couple hard levels when the reward is beating the castle.

Mindlog

The late game puzzle is the one
Inside the mountain, where you have to work with multiple panels at the same time.

The treetop panel is just this garbage one with a RIDICULOUS tetris block.
(end game stuff)
The green one? That one is fun. I may have screwed up the multibridge are right after that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So how do you activate the boat?

TheRed

Just completed the swamp! Finally I got that out of the way, struggled to get past those early red panel tetris puzzles I'm proud I figured the rest out, especially when they introduced the blue hollow pieces I thought I'd get stuck again. So happy when that
laser
went up. But I still don't really understand this panel in the swamp
even though it doesn't really seem necessary besides moving the platform https://flic.kr/p/DywNQS

JTripper

The third to last puzzle in the
quarry dock area
is a fucker, and I know the solution is probably going to be simple due to the layout. I just can't figure it out since
the tetris blocks are blocking the middle, therefore are required to be included in the final outline.

Brashnir

Just completed the swamp! Finally I got that out of the way, struggled to get past those early red panel tetris puzzles I'm proud I figured the rest out, especially when they introduced the blue hollow pieces I thought I'd get stuck again. So happy when that
laser
went up. But I still don't really understand this panel in the swamp
even though it doesn't really seem necessary besides moving the platform https://flic.kr/p/DywNQS

That one
rotates the bridge it's located on

The third to last puzzle in the
quarry dock area
is a fucker, and I know the solution is probably going to be simple due to the layout. I just can't figure it out since
the tetris blocks are blocking the middle, therefore are required to be included in the final outline.

Are you referring to the one with the 3 offset-two-block tetris shapes? hint:
don't focus on those two in the middle

Probably done for another day. 409 + 72, all 11 lasers. Stopped on a endgame mountain puzzle
flashing and colors and tetris
that I even redrew
to save my eyes
but I'm just not getting it yet. Have yet to receive help or cheat on a single puzzle, so I'm not gonna start now. I'll give my brain a break.

Brashnir

I know but when I tried I couldnt get it to move, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough to understand, for now I'm content with walking around lol.

you rotate the tetris piece in the solution so that it touches the two landings you want to reach

JTripper

Are you referring to the one with the 3 offset-two-block tetris shapes? hint:
don't focus on those two in the middle

I don't think so. The emblems included in this puzzle are
a white gear in the bottom left, a vertical 3-cube tetris and 2 2-cube tetris blocks occupying the 3 middle blocks, and a purple star in the top right.

Edit: Just solved it, :p

Brashnir

I don't think so. The emblems included in this puzzle are
a white gear in the bottom left, a vertical 3-cube tetris and 2 2-cube tetris blocks occupying the 3 middle blocks, and a purple star in the top right.

Oh, definitely a different puzzle. I vaguely remember that one but not clearly.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I loved portal but was not too fond of that talos game. I like the art style of this game but for some reason I am having a hard time justifying it for 40$ as a puzzle game. LOL

DAMN IT! Why must I feel this way. I'll probably still buy it. Lol!

Tetris tutorial help please. I just do not get this.
I sort of get that you have to make the shape but beyond that, no matter what I can't fit this together. And the panel prior I don't really get how that works either with the gap.

https://gyazo.com/6ddaff901183ef533df8d095e2959e56

You just need to
line off an area that fits exactly the two (or more later on) shapes. In that case (this is the solution for that panel) go straight up two and across two then up to finish. That creates a group of 4 squares at the bottom, exactly enough for the L and single square to fit in.

farisr

So funny thing, I noticed a difficulty spike earlier, I got through it after figuring out the rules the hard way. Then I get to
the swamp,
and see that this is where you're supposed to learn how to deal with the
tetris shapes.
SMH. Going through these beginning tutorials where I could've learned the basics like
that certain shapes have to be put in the exact way they're shown
would've saved me so much time
(I initially figured all tetris shapes could be manipulated by turning, as that is a core concept of that game after all)
. But on the plus side, I got through this area blazingly fast as it felt like a piece of cake compared to what I had been through before. LOL.

louiedog

Probably done for another day. 409 + 72, all
11 lasers
. Stopped on a endgame mountain puzzle
that I even redrew
to save my eyes
but I'm just not getting it yet. Have yet to receive help or cheat on a single puzzle, so I'm not gonna start now. I'll give my brain a break.

I'm also on one of those puzzles and just gave up.
What I did was use my phone's continuous shooting mode which takes like 20 pics per second. That way I could grab a couple of frames of the full panel the same color to save my eyes. Still having trouble though.

mclem

I'd estimate 8 hours in, with a score of
236 +28
. An odd day today, in that I spent an awful lot of time doing other stuff before tackling another major panel area. And it's the first time, too, that I haven't finished the area before stopping play. The area in question being the
treehouse area
; I didn't stop because I was stuck as such, though, but instead I stopped because
I'd completed all the panels available, and had just realised that I needed to complete some a different way
; that seemed like a reasonable point to rest it and return at a later time.

The first hour, though, was more spent on exploration, filling in a few odd doors I'd found before but couldn't solve back then. And... well, there's one or two puzzles I've solved that I really want to talk to someone about how wonderful they were, but I don't want to spoil someone's chance to find it out themselves, because it's a glorious bit of discovery.

I wish it was easier to talk about this game!

Brashnir

So funny thing, I noticed a difficulty spike before, I got through it after figuring out the rules the hard way. Then I get to
the swamp,
and see that this is where you're supposed to learn how to deal with the
tetris shapes.
SMH. Going through these beginning tutorials where I could've learned the basics like
that certain shapes have to be put in the exact way they're shown
would've saved me so much time
(I initially figured all tetris shapes could be manupulated by turning, as that is a core concept of that game after all)
. But on the plus side, I got through this area blazingly fast as it felt like a piece of cake compared to what I had been through before. LOL.

The Witness™

BraXzy

try
combining them into one shape.

You just need to
line off an area that fits exactly the two (or more later on) shapes. In that case (this is the solution for that panel) go straight up two and across two then up to finish. That creates a group of 4 squares at the bottom, exactly enough for the L and single square to fit in.

Funnily enough as is often the case, it clicked just after I went back in. Thanks though!

shem935

Banned
So I finally got around to circling back to the area under the
windmill with the theater.

The hell is going on...

Also you can click on things in the videos...

shiba5

I had to take 3 aspirin so I'm done for tonight. I messed with that gate behind the monastery that leads down to a cave and finally got it. Took way too long.

shem935

Banned

Spoilers for a video and the +'s:
The one with the guy and the candle. In the ending shot it pans out to a giant wall with a huge circle in the background. I thought what the hell and clicked on it. Made the wooshing sound of a failed attempt to ignite one of the hidden puzzles in the environment.

Okay I'm in the
swamp
and can't figure out the
elevator panels. I can see that there are two panels that seem to be mirrored, but I can't access the second one.
Am I just missing something?

Nevermind, got it. 2
lasers
activated!

shiba5

Probably done for another day. 409 + 72, all 11 lasers. Stopped on a endgame mountain puzzle
that I even redrew
to save my eyes

The worst were the
rotating ones on the previous level.

mclem

Tetris tutorial help please. I just do not get this.
I sort of get that you have to make the shape but beyond that, no matter what I can't fit this together. And the panel prior I don't really get how that works either with the gap.

https://gyazo.com/6ddaff901183ef533df8d095e2959e56

Here's how I established the rules in a way I was comfortable with:

I've been working using the term 'segment' to describe a section of the grid closed off by your line (so, for instance, the puzzle prior to this one has a one-square segment at the top and a two-square segment at the bottom).

With Tetris, iff a segment contains *any* Tetris pieces it must be possible to make the shape of that segment using those pieces. So your prior puzzle works because the 2-square segment contains two one-square Tetris pieces; trivial to make the segment from the pieces available.

Looking for a hint for the Teal door puzzle outside of the Monastery.

I'm looking down through tree roots from a platform above but can't seem to line anything up. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Brashnir

Spoilers for a video and the +'s:
The one with the guy and the candle. In the ending shot it pans out to a giant wall with a huge circle in the background. I thought what the hell and clicked on it. Made the wooshing sound of a failed attempt to ignite one of the hidden puzzles in the environment.

I don't think I've seen that
video yet. I have a couple more to try that I haven't watched yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Zekes!

Yo, can anyone give me a quick hint about the temple/monastery area?
I'm trying to do the puzzle on the wooden pillars but I can't even figure out the first one. Where should I be looking to figure out the solution?

mclem

So I finally got around to circling back to the area under the
windmill with the theater.

The hell is going on...

Also you can click on things in the videos...

That's one of the things I was alluding to in my post, I found that independently today.

Got two bonus lines out the three videos I have thus far, one of which felt incredibly rewarding. That's not the one you're talking about, though! I did get that one as well.

I'm trying to do the puzzle on the wooden pillars but I can't even figure out the first one. Where should I be looking to figure out the solution?

You know how you had to look through the windows to create a path to do the first three puzzles? Same idea here.

mclem

I have to admit, I kind of fluked into these.

The theme is similar to the earlier grids you solved using the window, just find something appropriate to work with.

RedColumn

I LOVE this game so much! I havent figure all the types yet (there is two types which I still dont understand... Ill get there...) but so far I did 240 +9 (the pluses are not my strong...)

The Tetris ones were hard! It took me forever to figure out this one, and this is how I spend my night because of this puzzle:
Bh2lc42.png

Once I got the solution... I check the solution here to see if is the same... and I think I was too complicated, the solution that I found here is much more interested than mine:

Tomorrow I think I will finish.... but more than 600 puzzles? I wonder were they are... im not even half of that!

Alright. I was able to bang my head against the crazy one-star treetop puzzle to figure that whole sequence how...but I still cannot get past the third red panel tetris puzzle in the swamp. These motherfucking things!! What the hell am I missing? I'm really on the edge of just asking what rule it is I'm not seeing...I'm going to write a spoiler tag below that outlines what I think the ruleset is and what my problem is. I've talked about these damn things multiple times in this thread and they're driving me absolutely nuts.
http://imgur.com/CMv8Hc9
Ignore my line drawing in the pic. I was trying to see if I could somehow combine or transform the 1x2 piece into a 1x3 with the single one above it. But I cannot. You don't have to fit in all the shapes into your drawing on the panel...but as long as you are able to contain all the symbols within that combined shape you're good. In this case, what the fuck am I supposed to do with this floating single square shape? I cannot place it onto of the 1x2, OR fit it somehow into the 1x4 OR even isolate the damn thing so it's by itself. I'd prefer to not have it explicitly spelt out to me. Am I actually not missing a rule and am just not seeing this solution?

I feel like a dumbass. I'm at 235 panels solved but still stuck in the damn swamp.

http://imgur.com/CMv8Hc9
Ignore my line drawing in the pic. I was trying to see if I could somehow combine or transform the 1x2 piece into a 1x3 with the single one above it. But I cannot. You don't have to fit in all the shapes into your drawing on the panel...but as long as you are able to contain all the symbols within that combined shape you're good. In this case, what the fuck am I supposed to do with this floating single square shape? I cannot place it onto of the 1x2, OR fit it somehow into the 1x4 OR even isolate the damn thing so it's by itself. I'd prefer to not have it explicitly spelt out to me. Am I actually not missing a rule and am just not seeing this solution?

You can't rotate these. You must keep them in the same orientation.

I just beat the marsh. 269 +6. Finished
shady trees, bunker, keep, desert ruin, and swamp
. Partially completed
quarry, treehouse, jungle, town

Top Bottom