• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Is it possible to lock yourself out of the swamp and needing to use a boat to get back? Cause I did that ._.

Yup, it is. Easier to avoid when you complete the area though.

Bah. Hang in my head on this one ... Hard to explain without a picture but (the peninsula with the double liners)
the double line puzzle with a black dot on top and bottom with a metal bar separating the lines.
I'm sure it's some silly I'm not seeing . any hints?

This is tricky but
one of the puzzles there affects the vases.

Brashnir

In the swamp with the blue hollow pieces. I found my way to this solution but it was a try that I thought would be missing something, looking at it I dont fully understand why it worked? can someone explain it to me?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126662348@N02/24561077632/in/dateposted-public/

If you're counting across from the left, you removed second line - block 2, and then stuck the other piece in that gap. The other removal block removed the bottom right corner

Stoze

In the swamp with the blue hollow pieces. I found my way to this solution but it was a try that I thought would be missing something, looking at it I dont fully understand why it worked? can someone explain it to me?

A piece gets subtracted from the middle of the checkerboard so a T can fit there. The second piece is subtracted from the bottom right so the puzzle can be done in one line.

TheRed

Looks like the blue square negates a yellow square.

If you're counting across from the left, you removed second line - block 2, and then stuck the other piece in that gap. The other removal block removed the bottom right corner

A piece gets subtracted from the middle of the checkerboard so a T can fit there. The second piece is subtracted from the bottom right so the puzzle can be done in one line.

Ahh thanks guys! Just noticed where the T shape went in which is what was confusing me, needed to understand before moving on.

JTripper

I feel like there's not enough reward in this game. I understand the satisfaction in solving something is rewarding in itself, but 99% of the time you're just "rewarded" with satisfaction and another, more complex puzzle which almost immediately negates the previously gained satisfaction.

I feel like there's not enough reward in this game. I understand the satisfaction in solving something is rewarding in itself, but 99% of the time you're just "rewarded" with satisfaction and another, more complex puzzle which almost immediately negates the previously gained satisfaction.

This is what I think about most puzzle games I play.

hughesta

Banned
If you mean the one immediately after that, I managed to get that one fast. If you mean after the next door opens with the 6 colors filling up each panel, yeah, I'm just screaming internally here. Not enough to ask for help yet though.
I did mean the one immediately after that
I'm dying fam

G-Bus

Banned

Feel bad for looking because that's exactly where I got stumped.

Doing the last panelin the desert with the
water level thing. I can barely make out half of it with the glare. Damn scaffolds in the way and just can't seem to find a great place to stand.
so damn close.

JTripper

On the last two puzzles in the quarry dock and I'm am slowly going insane.
There's a long 9 panel section near the fast travel boat and I'm stumped on the penultimate one. Ugh this game is making me insane.

Brashnir

I feel like this attitude is symptomatic of a modern gaming populace who don't actually like games, but are addicted to rewards. Or maybe they do like them, but they have been conditioned to covet as a part of the experience.

I spent 20 minutes on a puzzle and the solution was to go in a straight line. FUCK THIS GAME.

I haven't had one like that, but there's a certain one in the
swamp
that looks really complex and I spent a long time mulling over before leaving to work on a different area, only to come back to later and realize that the solution is just to
isolate two corners
. Those who have seen it should know which one...

JTripper

I feel like this attitude is symptomatic of a modern gaming populace who don't actually like games, but are addicted to rewards.

I won't argue with that because I've been a proven trophy/achievement "whore" in the past (I still love them but am not as serious about them as I once was), but holy shit is it discouraging when you see panel after panel of further complicating puzzles when you're already struggling with the ones you're on.

It's not even completely about hard puzzle after hard puzzle, but the added layer that there's rules you must figure out and when you don't think you have a 100% clear grasp of it, which is almost all the time, clawing at a puzzle that complicates that rule even further is just added insanity.

I feel like this attitude is symptomatic of a modern gaming populace who don't actually like games, but are addicted to rewards. Or maybe they do like them, but they have been conditioned to covet as a part of the experience.

Agreed. I grew up with old school point & click adventures (best games ever) and I don't need a reward. I'm just happy when I solve the next puzzle.

Brashnir

I won't argue with that because I've been a proven trophy/achievement "whore" in the past (I still love them but am not as serious about them as I once was), but holy shit is it discouraging when you see panel after panel of further complicating puzzles when you're already struggling with the ones you're on.

If you want a reward, go back and look at some of the puzzles you were struggling with a few hours ago and see how insanely easy they seem now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really need a hint for
the 8th tutorial puzzle in the colored greenhouse. I'm going insane.
If the eighth one is the one I think it is, there's a chance
the puzzle is "impossible" from the perspective you're currently viewing it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm still only about an hour in and am completely stuck, I solved a few puzzles to help me cross a stream. Once I got over to the other side I solved a few more and got stuck. Now I'm trapped on this side of the stream with 2 puzzles I can't solve. Grrrr

I'm still only about an hour in and am completely stuck, I solved a few puzzles to help me cross a stream. Once I got over to the other side I solved a few more and got stuck. Now I'm trapped on this side of the stream with 2 puzzles I can't solve. Grrrr

Is it the tetris area? If so
you can solve the bridge puzzle in a different way to get back

cyba89

It's not even completely about hard puzzle after hard puzzle, but the added layer that there's rules you must figure out and when you don't think you have a 100% clear grasp of it, which is almost all the time, clawing at a puzzle that complicates that rule even further is just added insanity.

It's a puzzle game with around 700 puzzles. You want a "Good job!", little fireworks or a trophy after every single one of them?

Solving a difficult puzzle isn't satisfactory enough for you?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is it the tetris area? If so
you can solve the bridge puzzle in a different way to get back

Ahh, that's good to know. There's 2 sets of puzzles up there that seem fucking impossible and they are driving me crazy!

jett

D-Member
This one late game puzzle. Good fucking lord. I need to take a break from this game. There's another "hard" side-puzzle in the treetops that just has me fucking annoyed.

K.Sabot

It took my mind looking at the puzzle completely different to solve the tetris ones.

I feel like I've gotten better at tetris by playing this game, I think I understand upper level tetris now.

Shahadan

I find that exhilarating on the contrary. That's the point of puzzle games. In this game it is especially well done since you're always given the keys to understand what you're supposed to do. It's just a matter of seeing it, and doubting your previous assessment.

Which is a great thing to do even in your life.

falz3333

Neo Member
I'm at 436 +70. I bet I could find more environment lines... but I'm done searching for now. There were a few I found but can't seem to figure out how to activate.

I have only found one panel which I have been unable to solve: the one in the rusted ship which presumably blocks a safe. That would be my fifth safe. Not sure where the 6th door is. If anyone knows how to solve this one, I'd love a hint.

There was some talk about going into the mountain, coming back out, and something having changed? I completed all the puzzles before the regular ending (circular puzzles being the last ones) and came back up and I haven't noticed anything different.

Fhtagn

I just had a hilariously difficult time (easily 10 minutes or more) with two panels where I even explained all the rules about them to my wife and said that I must be missing out on part of the rule set and nearly posted here asking about it....

AND THEN I LOOKED AT IT AGAIN AND THE SOLUTION WAS SO OBVIOUS THAT I INSTANTLY SOLVED THEM BOTH!

I swear this game is exactly like Dark Souls... If I bitterly complain to someone how about how impossible something is, I'm probably just about to make it look easy.

Mindlog

Mechanics Question
Do the tetris pieces have to be IN the tetris shape?
Yes.
Is it possible to lock yourself out of the swamp and needing to use a boat to get back? Cause I did that ._.
Yes.
This one late game puzzle. Good fucking lord. I need to take a break from this game. There's another "hard" side-puzzle in the treetops that just has me fucking annoyed.
Is it the
"W"?
I bet it's the W :]

Had time to do a few puzzles. A few turned into a dozen.
Then I feel like
TSrXm1h.jpg

It feels like I've trapped myself. My brain tells me they would have tested what I did and I should be able to find a solution. Still...

hughesta

Banned
The gremenhouse,
severed elevator cable
is really throwing me for a loop. Have an idea of how to solve it, so wish me luck.

JTripper

Solving a difficult puzzle isn't satisfactory enough for you?

If I said "no", would that be asking for too much? I think if someone finds if they aren't being satisfied with what's given to them when completing multiple challenges, it's perfectly fine to think that they aren't being properly rewarded for the work they put in.

I think The Witness is a special game for it's fundamental approach to challenge and reward, but you can't say I'm wrong when I say it's discouraging to face complicated puzzle followed by an ever more complicated puzzle. It keeps me going for sure, but it absolutely makes me want to take a breath and say, "here we go again" after the brief satisfaction of the previous puzzle fades.

I find that exhilarating on the contrary. That's the point of puzzle games. In this game it is especially well done since you're always given the keys to understand what you're supposed to do. It's just a matter of seeing it, and doubting your previous assessment.

Which is a great thing to do even in your life.

And that's the exact counterpoint to the way I described feeling after a puzzle. It's totally valid and I understand it, and it certainly applies to me at times, it just doesn't feel that way a lot of the time; but does that make what I feel after doing a set of puzzles wrong and therefore I should go play a different game that rewards me quicker? I say no but other people tend to take my experience and judge it as "You're just playing the wrong game if that's what you're feeling" or "Video games have taught me the wrong way to feel rewarded"

Dominator

Did I just completely fuck myself? I'm freaking out!!

I'm doing the greenhouse area and riding up the elevator. I see the yellow box with the laser and walk out, thinking this was the end... Nope, went up another level with what I assume is the gate puzzle to open then box. HOW DO I GET THE ELEVATOR BACK DOWN?!?!

If anyone can help, please!!

Brashnir

I'm doing the greenhouse area and riding up the elevator. I see the yellow box with the laser and walk out, thinking this was the end... Nope, went up another level with what I assume is the gate puzzle to open then box. HOW DO I GET THE ELEVATOR BACK DOWN?!?!

solve a puzzle incorrectly.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

When in doubt....fail.

Top Bottom