• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Zekes!

You know how you had to look through the windows to create a path to do the first three puzzles? Same idea here.

I have to admit, I kind of fluked into these.

The theme is similar to the earlier grids you solved using the window, just find something appropriate to work with.

Thanks fam, I figured that was what I was to do, but I guess I wasn't looking hard enough

You can't rotate these. You must keep them in the same orientation.

Right...but I can't figure out what to do with the single square piece. It doesn't fit in with any of the other shapes. And If I try to, then I end up with extra squares that aren't the defined shape and they all flash red. It's one away from the 1x2, and two away from the 1x4...and by itself it's seemingly impossible to section it off to just be on it's own

Spoilers for a video and the +'s:
The one with the guy and the candle. In the ending shot it pans out to a giant wall with a huge circle in the background. I thought what the hell and clicked on it. Made the wooshing sound of a failed attempt to ignite one of the hidden puzzles in the environment.

If you want to know some more spoilers for video clicking locations: the BBC video with that James fella, the circle of amino acids lines up with the frame of the door creating a line puzzle. When he flips through the book there's a circle which also lines up with a half circle on the frame of the window, like this: http://i.imgur.com/5fNVsCv.jpg. That's all I've found so far, but I don't think it's coincidence that you can see the screen all the way down the corridor and from the back, I'm sure there's much more that line up with stuff.

Right...but I can't figure out what to do with the single square piece. It doesn't fit in with any of the other shapes. And If I try to, then I end up with extra squares that aren't the defined shape and they all flash red. It's one away from the 1x2, and two away from the 1x4...and by itself it's seemingly impossible to section it off to just be on it's own

You have to swap the places of all the pieces.

mclem

Alright. I was able to bang my head against the crazy one-star treetop puzzle to figure that whole sequence how...but I still cannot get past the third red panel tetris puzzle in the swamp. These motherfucking things!! What the hell am I missing? I'm really on the edge of just asking what rule it is I'm not seeing...I'm going to write a spoiler tag below that outlines what I think the ruleset is and what my problem is. I've talked about these damn things multiple times in this thread and they're driving me absolutely nuts.
http://imgur.com/CMv8Hc9
Ignore my line drawing in the pic. I was trying to see if I could somehow combine or transform the 1x2 piece into a 1x3 with the single one above it. But I cannot. You don't have to fit in all the shapes into your drawing on the panel...but as long as you are able to contain all the symbols within that combined shape you're good. In this case, what the fuck am I supposed to do with this floating single square shape? I cannot place it onto of the 1x2, OR fit it somehow into the 1x4 OR even isolate the damn thing so it's by itself. I'd prefer to not have it explicitly spelt out to me. Am I actually not missing a rule and am just not seeing this solution?

I feel like a dumbass. I'm at 235 panels solved but still stuck in the damn swamp.

A small hint:

There's no requirement for the tetris piece in question to overlap its symbol on the grid; all that's necessary is for the symbol to be in that segment.

A more explicit one:

You can use all three pieces to make a single shape that will cover all three of the grid symbols.

Brashnir

A small hint:

There's no requirement for the tetris piece in question to overlap its symbol on the grid; all that's necessary is for the symbol to be in that segment.

A more explicit one:

You can use all three pieces to make a single shape that will cover all three of the grid symbols.

and one third hint that should pretty much solve it for you:
try putting the 2 block in the upper right

G-Bus

Banned
Can I get a hint for the last hedge maze? Driving me crazy. The damn puzzle doesn't even look anything like the maze itself!

Anyone else find the (environment spoiler?)
dog statue sitting on a pillow?

Yup. As for other related
animals
I also found an
aligator
and an
octopus.
I'm wondering if anyone found any others. They don't seem to have a purpose but with this game, who knows!

This game man

I feel like there are forced environment perspectives thar I am not fully grasping.

It feels so mysterious and dammit if Im not a little spooked

Speaking of which, I realllly wish there was nighttime in this game.

I actually love this feeling like Im not alone. I know Im making the story in my head, but I keep expecting to see something in the distance or in the forced perspectives (windows, random holes, etc)

hughesta

Banned
animals
I also found an
aligator
and an
octopus.
I'm wondering if anyone found any others. They don't seem to have a purpose but with this game, who knows!
The
shadow of the woman in the shaded forest
scared the shit out of me

Wow!
If the game gives you motion sickness the puzzles in the mountain is soooo much worse. Think I am legit nauseated and the game did not give me motion sickness

BraXzy

Really struggling to wrap my head around the tetris panel but boy do I love it. Stuck in the swam
up top now. Really can't figure out how to fit the pieces given into the grid in a way I can draw lines and have them included.

vpance

Are you talking about the final bit after you
open up both doors of the gate?

Yep.

On one half you draw on the shadows. When you cross over to the other half you draw between the shadows.

I've tried doing that. I must be missing something very simple.
Start point is on the right in the gaps between shadows, and end point is in the shadow branches. So where to cross over?

Edit: Just got it, lol. Thanks.

This game man

I feel like there are forced environment perspectives thar I am not fully grasping.

It feels so mysterious and dammit if Im not a little spooked

Speaking of which, I realllly wish there was nighttime in this game.

I actually love this feeling like Im not alone. I know Im making the story in my head, but I keep expecting to see something in the distance or in the forced perspectives (windows, random holes, etc)

I'm holding out hope that once you find everything there is to find there'll be a nighttime mode(I don't know or want any spoilers). To go along with what you've said, the actual statues have startled me quite a few times, and there's a few areas with disturbing sounds that really change the atmosphere(small spoiler)
the shipwreck and the creepy tree in the middle of the bamboo forest for two.

Bryko

Can someone give me a refresher on how the
shapes made up of blue empty blocks
work? I know I ran into them before but I can't remember the exact mechanics.

jett

D-Member
This friggin ship puzzle. I know all of the mechanics involved, yet I can't fight the right path. Oh well. Back to failing something else.

Mindlog

I'm also on one of those puzzles and just gave up.
What I did was use my phone's continuous shooting mode which takes like 20 pics per second. That way I could grab a couple of frames of the full panel the same color to save my eyes. Still having trouble though.
One of the puzzles I solved in a completely different way than I had before.

You can observe the flashing lights closely enough to figure out which ones are alike. You can then use steady state lights to figure out what matches. Something that's incorrect will make them flash. You can also tell when blinking lights are wrong, but it's slightly trickier to do so. Couple all of this information with the extremely limited number of ways it's even possible to fit some pieces and it creates just a few possibilities you have to consider.

I thought I would hate them, but those puzzles are among my favorite because of the process I used to solve them.

Fhtagn

Can someone help with a color based panel? I'm in a tutorial and I did the first 7 nigh instantly but this last one to my eye seems literally impossible. We've been trying different things for about 15 minutes now.

it is two blue, two purple two peach and two yellow paint splotches on a blue line paper background. The puzzles so far insist that each color be grouped entirely together. However it is seemingly physically impossible to pair these up because you can't cross the lines and it's only 4x4 and the center ones are horizontal and the outer ones are vertical.

Is there a rule I haven't figured out?

Edit: yes there was, I tried a different solution on the previous panel and it worked too giving me a better idea. Still stumped but on my way...

Edit edit: and I got it done! And the next one! On my own! Thanks for letting me vent... Feels good!

I wonder if we will ever see dlc. Im 120 panels in and feeling sad to see and do so much

I just did the pink cables that are around the windmill. I feel like there should be an audio log at the end but I don't see it. Did I miss it?

jett

D-Member
You mean this one, right? Because omg, it's the worst.

Right.

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

BraXzy

Really struggling to wrap my head around the tetris panel but boy do I love it. Stuck in the swam
up top now. Really can't figure out how to fit the pieces given into the grid in a way I can draw lines and have them included.

I just booted up Photoshop and made
the shapes needed lmao. Solved the puzzle I was stuck on in two seconds.

Mindlog

You mean this one, right? Because omg, it's the worst.
Just laughed out loud.
Looking at it right now and I just realized how turn it. It's so obvious. Thanks for posting that picture.

The solution isn't that obvious, but I should have known how to turn it as soon as I figured it out.

I really can't believe I didn't figure it out. It's the same exact answer lol!
Wow.

I'm going to leave the area I was in and go back to that immediately when I get back in game.
smdh.

Seriously, how did I not see that. It's plain as day.

One of the puzzles I solved in a completely different way than I had before.

You can observe the flashing lights closely enough to figure out which ones are alike. You can then use steady state lights to figure out what matches. Something that's incorrect will make them flash. You can also tell when blinking lights are wrong, but it's slightly trickier to do so. Couple all of this information with the extremely limited number of ways it's even possible to fit some pieces and it creates just a few possibilities you have to consider.

I thought I would hate them, but those puzzles are among my favorite because of the process I used to solve them.

I've been doing that as well. I already realize the one I'm stuck on if probably not so bad, but when coming off doing all the others I need a break before I go back!

McFadge

animals
I also found an
aligator
and an
octopus.

I found a
tortoise
and also the
reflected woman, shown in the trailer
. So it was an
octopus... I thought it was strange but looked like a strange cthulu creature to me :p
Will have to keep an eye out for the
alligator

I have to admit, while I've been reading this thread so much to deal with withdrawal from the game while I'm unable to play it, it is sort of sad to see so many people asking for puzzle solutions instead of taking the time to try and work out what they have wrong on their own. There are some legit tough puzzles in the game, but I see a lot of people who when greeted with something even marginally different that they can't comprehend just come here to ask instead of thinking about what it means and how it fits into or contradicts what they know. Indeed, people seem to act as if a contradiction means the puzzle is wrong instead of themselves and their own thoughts which is, itself, entirely the wrong way to think. Finding a puzzle that you can't solve based on what you know just means that, well, what you know is wrong and you should take the opportunity to figure out what is RIGHT, not come on here bewildered about it.

People providing entire solutions instead of hints aren't helping :S I think I need to step back and out of this thread for a while, especially since more people are getting into territory that I haven't been yet and I don't want to spoil myself.

pargonta

Question for anyone who has completed the game and started a new game plus, regarding new game plus

Do the Black monoliths progress carry over? It appears the environment puzzle from the laser door in the first area must be solved before it is deactivated, therefore i would be unable to solve that one in this play through, is that true?

d00d3n

I just beat the swamp. It is probably the most well-designed string of puzzles in the game until this point, imo. There is so much to learn about tetris blocks! I am really looking forward to applying this knowledge in other areas.

A small hint:

A more explicit one:

Thank you. You convinced me that I wasn't missing some rule. I
just cut out shapes from index cards and played with them over a grid-based cutting surface
until I saw it. I finally fucking solved it. YES! The sound of that next panel lighting up is glorious song of success and glory.

Damn....The lengths I go to haha. This game is showing me which areas of my brain I'm deficient in.

Question for anyone who has completed the game and started a new game plus, regarding new game plus

Do the Black monoliths progress carry over? It appears the environment puzzle from the laser door in the first area must be solved before it is deactivated, therefore i would be unable to solve that one in this play through, is that true?

All I will say is there is no new game plus. Don't start a new game. Reload your save. Trust me, don't be concerned with what you're concerned about.

Disregarding what I just said about leaving this thread, as far as I know there's nothing different about the post-endgame new game. You can reload your former save to continue working on stuff there without having to redo things, and as for that spoiler, okay well that was addressed above me.

Fireblend

Banned
Ok, 3 hours/115 puzzles in, I'm hooked. This game is brilliant; I can't decide whether the sheer amount of things to do from the get go is overwhelming, or if despite that openness, the progression is handled perfectly enough as to make the game seem that way and I'm sort of being led through the game.

I
activated the beam in the starting area, visited the castle, some place where a boat was which I assume is used for fast travel, the village, watched a movie below the windmill and a couple other places
and I can't get enough of how good every area looks and how well integrated the puzzles are in each area.

That said, where/when do I start learning about
Tetris puzzles?
I feel like that's my #1 roadblock atm. Just mention the general area, no specifics/any other spoiler, if possible.

shiba5

I don't think so.
The windmill puzzles I did in my first playthrough weren't lit up when I checked the monolith.

Well, now I know when I would have figured out the +1 puzzles if I didn't get spoiled earlier in the thread:

This grey cloud is mocking me.

Man, I obliterated the
bird song
area. Some puzzles just work for some kinda of intelligence, I guess. I'm embarrassingly slow at others.

You can
turn it back on
E: ooops already answered

Haven't had a lot of time to play yet, about 80 panels in, and I thought I would wait and play it with my wife so we could work together. Tonight, however, I think I stumbled upon that "epiphany" people are talking about,
what gives you the + panel count
, and I don't know what to think. Consider me impressed, now I look forward to starting fresh with her and looking at everything differently. It's amazing how more knowledge you get about things changes the game and how you look at puzzles.

Pooya

I don't feel any satisfaction solving the kind of puzzles this game is about, I'm more like "that was it? f this game" instead -_-

Top Bottom