• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Just beat
the town
and I am mixed. I loved some puzzles and hated others. Also glad to know
the color room splash panel I am stuck on seems to be for a secret door.

Still no clue what to do with the pink cable in bamboo forest...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can someone explain why this solution works for tetris pieces + blue squares?

http://i.imgur.com/KmqFNwE.jpg

I mean, I guessed because there's only 2 ways to include the 4 designated symbols while having 8 squares in the solution, and one of them worked. But like, I dont' see a way to add a 2x2 square back to this shape and end up with the 3 original pieces. So it leads me to believe,I can take out any 4 squares I want and the fact that it's shaped like a 2x2 is irrelevant?
Pretty sure your revised assumption is correct. I believe that rule followed through in my experiences.

I mean, I guessed because there's only 2 ways to include the 4 designated symbols while having 8 squares in the solution, and one of them worked. But like, I dont' see a way to add a 2x2 square back to this shape and end up with the 3 original pieces. So it leads me to believe,I can take out any 4 squares I want and the fact that it's shaped like a 2x2 is irrelevant?

No. It must remove a 2x2 block of squares.

The removed squares can be overlapping other squares "before" they are removed.

d00d3n

I don't understand your explanation, but

1st
works because you outline the two yellow block shapes and subtract a block for the blue block shape (can be in any position), while including all shape blocks in the area that you outline

2nd
works because you outline the three yellow block shapes and subtract four blocks for the blue block shape (can be in any position), while including all shape blocks in the area that you outline

Gaf, going to sleep now, need you to confirm or deny an idea:

Castle area:
After solving the four mazes, I've climbed a tower where there is a panel that resemblance the mazes, I asume that I've to combine the four solutions on the panel although the right side of the panel seems to be quite twisted, upside down, reflected or something. Anyway, Am I on the right track? the solution is a mix of the four solutions?

KraytarJ

Gaf, going to sleep now, need you to confirm or denied an idea:

Castle area:
After solving the four mazes, I've climbed a tower where there is a panel that resemblance the mazes, I asume that I've to combine the four solutions on the panel although the right side of the panel seems to be quite twisted, upside down, reflected or something. Anyway, Am I on the right track? the solution is a mix of the four solutions?
That sounds correct yes. Just put it in practice and you'll be golden.

This has probably been asked before - how does this compare to Talos? I'm in world C of Talos and have enjoyed it but the puzzles are starting to feel a bit tired and I'm getting to the point where I'm just trying to get through them rather than engaging with the world.

What say you Talos players? Similar, better, different enough?

Too different to compare

Id say Talos is focused more on story too. I loved Talos' puzzles

Witness is a lot harder. There isnt an apparent story, at least at blatant as talos principle

Im not aure why youre not enjoying talos principle though? Do you not like the mechanics?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Edit: On second thought, my recollections aren't helping on this rule. Screw it.

I have a question about a puzzle near the end of the swamp area.

screenshot

The icon on the top left....am I supposed to make that shape somehow or is it saying I need to combine those pieces with the other icon to make one giant piece? Of course, I know the blue icons require me to get rid of two pieces, but I'm just wondering what the other icon is actually asking of me. Seems really tricky!

You're on the right track.

Overlay the smaller piece and remove two blocks in a way that makes drawing the shape possible

Slightly more specific:

Which squares would you have to fill to make drawing the shape possible?

No, there is more. You probably already saw that area on some of the tv screens inside the mountain or while exploring the island.

Damn that's awesome then. I thought I'd searched that place pretty thoroughly to see if anything had changed but not well enough it seems. I'm expecting there to be a lot undiscovered as yet to be honest. I'm over 200 panels short of the set and there's only a single panel set that I know I left unfinished.

d00d3n

Too different to compare

Witness is a lot harder. There isnt an apparent story, at least at blatant as talos principle

Im not aure why youre not enjoying talos principle though? Do you not like the mechanics?

I don't know if I agree with this, although I am only about 230 puzzles and 5 beams into The Witness. Some of the record/play puzzles in Talos (that I 100%-ed) were much harder than anything I have encountered in The Witness.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Too different to compare

I have been enjoying it but the mechanics are just getting a bit stale I guess. I'll keep playing it but just wanted a comparison for The Witness.

Aces&Eights

This game is crazy good. It's the little touches that really pull me in and the flow of the game is just superb. Riddles everywhere and if you get stuck you just take a turn and the colors change and some new and exciting puzzle presents itself. I'm done for the night with about 7 hours in today. When I close my eyes I see red squares and tetris pieces. I can't stop thinking about where I left off and how I am going to tackle it. I've got about 174 +4 and I only had to look up 2. For me, that's pretty darn good! Got 3 lasers going and I found bamboo.

Work is going to be so loooooooong tomorrow.

Kudos to Blow and Co. Outstanding art direction, pacing, cleverness and ambiance. So mysterious and I am so drawn in with very little more than some light sounds and puzzles. Such a great game!

The Tetris puzzles are the absolute worst part of the game.

The rules of them are hard to convey and very hard to grasp for me. They are a little bit too flexible, and it makes it almost impossible on some of them to really envision the ways you can manipulate the pieces on the board.

Just got the
laser
for the
bunker!

Still havent found the swamp. Just made my way imto what looks like a quarry

Edit: 245 + 14

cyba89

I'm expecting there to be a lot undiscovered as yet to be honest. I'm over 200 panels short of the set and there's only a single panel set that I know I left unfinished.

I think the +1 stuff counts towards the 600+ total so it's not that much left. The secret area is still really cool with lots of panels.

Aces&Eights

Just got the
laser
for the
bunker!

Still havent found the swamp. Just made my way imto what looks like a quarry

Lord, the Quarry. Some of the hardest puzzles I have encountered were littered in there. I literally took over 2 hours on one puzzle inside. Figured it out, though! Good luck!

I just finished up the Swamp, and I seriously have a headache from those puzzles.
Once the subtraction mechanic was added, my mood really started to sour.

d00d3n

The rules of them are hard to convey and very hard to grasp for me. They are a little bit too flexible, and it makes it almost impossible on some of them to really envision the ways you can manipulate the pieces on the board.

Focus on
the "shape blocks" (the instructions for what to build) that have to be included in the block shapes. These usually restrict your options notably, although less with some than others

Aces&Eights

Oh lord. I've been there for like 10 minutes and I can already see that happening.

It really taught me to quit thinking with a one track mind. Sure, the principles are similar but it gets deep. Once I stopped forcing my train of thought and just looked at them with an open mind the ones inside came to me. Still, had to take a nap when I was done, though. lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It helps a lot to make a visual reference for these ones. Using a shape from a program or even cutting paper, then you can shift them around a grid. Might help some since mentally tracking it can be taxing.

The forest with the thick shadows. The panel indicates that I need to avoid shadow. But part of shadow goes onto copper metal panel thing. Note this is open the right gate door.

I know it's super early for any data to be out there, but is there any notion of how well this has done so far? The number of "likes" on its PS4 page is a bit low.

I know it's super early for any data to be out there, but is there any notion of how well this has done so far? The number of "likes" on its PS4 page is a bit low.

I dont think we have any reliable data yet. We should have SteamSpy accurate tomorrow though

It helps a lot to make a visual reference for these ones. Using a shape from a program or even cutting paper, then you can shift them around a grid. Might help some since mentally tracking it can be taxing.

This is great advice.

It really taught me to quit thinking with a one track mind. Sure, the principles are similar but it gets deep. Once I stopped forcing my train of thought and just looked at them with an open mind the ones inside came to me. Still, had to take a nap when I was done, though. lol

I think I might hold off on this until Saturday then. I'll be too drunk to even attempt playing this game tomorrow lol.

Greecian-

Just beat the game a bit ago with 431 puzzles completed. I also opened the
cave area
from
the top of the mountain.
I assume this area has to do with my last remaining trophy. Puzzles there look extremely difficult, don't even want to attempt.

I'm totally stumped in the Swamp. I don't understand what rule something in the tetris panels works by.
I've tried everything I can think of with this one. I even laid it out and it works in photoshop.. what gives? I don't understand how the double 2 up pieces work.

Here is the panel: https://gyazo.com/b9010d5589f70ee7abd453500d987524

Here is my blockout and line I thought should work?: https://gyazo.com/4c290868522acbbafbe038a89e2ba8e3
Check the spacing again on the bottom icon/shape.

Just beat the game a bit ago with 431 puzzles completed. I also opened the
cave area
from
the top of the mountain.
I assume this area has to do with my last remaining trophy. Puzzles there look extremely difficult, don't even want to attempt.

Any tip for how to unlock that? I've been looking around for a while and found some more + puzzles but nothing important.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm totally stumped in the Swamp. I don't understand what rule something in the tetris panels works by.
I've tried everything I can think of with this one. I even laid it out and it works in photoshop.. what gives? I don't understand how the double 2 up pieces work.

Here is my blockout and line I thought should work?: https://gyazo.com/4c290868522acbbafbe038a89e2ba8e3
those two double blocks are two spaces apart

d00d3n

The split block has two empty blocks between, your solution gives only one.

I see people helping you, but I'm hijacking your post to just say that I didn't know this was the swamp. I've been here and stuck for like ever. Totally makes sense now.

The jungle puzzles were super cool and also increadibly infuriating lmao. I'm so sick of
listening to birds tweet

Last one I did was the kazoo which was so annoying. I haven't found the next panel for it yet. I'm horrible with tones so that was super difficult for me.

Triz

Played for about an hour and Im afraid that this is one of the rare FPS games thats gives me a bit of motion sickness.

I whipped up a crude illustration:

Imagine the pieces are laid out, overlapping as indicated. One square of the black L and 3 squares from the green L are consumed by the 2x2 blue outline.

Top Bottom