• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I have to admit, while I've been reading this thread so much to deal with withdrawal from the game while I'm unable to play it, it is sort of sad to see so many people asking for puzzle solutions instead of taking the time to try and work out what they have wrong on their own. There are some legit tough puzzles in the game, but I see a lot of people who when greeted with something even marginally different that they can't comprehend just come here to ask instead of thinking about what it means and how it fits into or contradicts what they know. Indeed, people seem to act as if a contradiction means the puzzle is wrong instead of themselves and their own thoughts which is, itself, entirely the wrong way to think. Finding a puzzle that you can't solve based on what you know just means that, well, what you know is wrong and you should take the opportunity to figure out what is RIGHT, not come on here bewildered about it.

People providing entire solutions instead of hints aren't helping :S I think I need to step back and out of this thread for a while, especially since more people are getting into territory that I haven't been yet and I don't want to spoil myself.

Yeah, I've avoided this thread mostly out of disappointment ... Keep hoping to come back and see more discussion about he game and less 'answers please'

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think I genuinely dislike the sound forest area.

Adding a bunch of nonsense noise ON TOP of the bird chirps? wtf man.

This temple in the sand is killing me! I am staring at this first thing, and I finally got it by accident. And now I'm trying to reverse engineer why my answer was the right one.

Yeah, I've avoided this thread mostly out of disappointment ... Keep hoping to come back and see more discussion about he game and less 'answers please'

I've got a lot of stuff I want to talk about the end-game and a few of my ideas between the audio logs but I feel like not a lot of people reached it yet and it'd be even more spoiler town than it already is. :I

Man some of those tetris puzzles were starting to make me feel hopeless. I was thinking there has to be a better way to approach them.

So I just got out paper and started drawing all of the possible shape combinations that could be made with the tetris blocks that are on the panel while also making sure that the shape would reach out to cover all of the tetris blocks. It got me through one that I was stuck on very quickly, but now this next one might be trickier since it has potential paths blocked off.

Brashnir

OK, I need a nudge. I'm at a puzzle with three solutions in the village. I got two of them, the one where
you follow the light areas
and the one where you
trace the solution from the sun's glare
. I need a push in the right direction for the third one. Is there a place where the third one is tutorialized and I haven't visited yet?

The puzzle in question:

http://i.imgur.com/xAW2mx3.png

Still stuck.

Looking for a hint for the Teal door puzzle outside of the Monastery.

I'm looking down through tree roots from a platform above but can't seem to line anything up. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I don't know, as long as people are having fun that's the important part. There is no right or wrong way to play a game as long as they are enjoying their time with it. I don't know why some people feel high and mighty when it comes to these puzzle games.

I'm holding out hope that once you find everything there is to find there'll be a nighttime mode(I don't know or want any spoilers). To go along

Dude!

I love the creepy music and statues

I pray that there are secrets that fans can theorize about FOREVER

I still love thinking about shadow of the colossus

I see the random stuff that seem to tell some kind of story past the audio logs and I get so excited

I hope Blow sprinkled stuff like this in the game

And yeah, nighttime would really add to the creepiness. I wonder if therr are super rare easter eggs in this game

Is this puzzle (just off-shore between the keep and the shipwreck) meant to be purposefully broken (as in I'm not suppose to be able to solve it), buggy broken (as in I'm suppose to be able to but it's bugged somehow), or am I just not doing it right?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=610732555

I can get the puzzle to
sparkle a little when I press the circle part like what normally happens if your close to solving them but not in the exact right position, but nowhere I stand is able to activate it properly.

I'm thinking it might be purposefully broken because
the chunks that it's made out of appear to be worn away and broken and it seems to be missing pieces

But in case it's not and I'm just missing something (like I haven't done something else first or I'm in the total wrong spot to solve it) I thought I see if anyone here was able to solve it.

This temple in the sand is killing me! I am staring at this first thing, and I finally got it by accident. And now I'm trying to reverse engineer why my answer was the right one.

Get as many perspectives on that first panel as you can...

The perspective/position based stuff is pretty frustrating sometimes since it can feel like random guess and check more than organically working out ever more complex abstract concepts.

Edit: You got it!

Coming back to the town after many, many hours of ignoring it:

PLvrh2m.gif

I am so in love with this game.

Question about
what I think may be the last desert/reflection puzzle: I can only see the reflection if I stand behind it and even I can only see one line. Is there any perspective I can use to see more or do I just guess my way through it like I've been doing?

Edit: Nevermind, just solved it!

cyba89

But in case it's not and I'm just missing something (like I haven't done something else first or I'm in the total wrong spot to solve it) I thought I see if anyone here was able to solve it.

You can solve this but you need to do something else first.

OK, I need a nudge. I'm at a puzzle with three solutions in the village. I got two of them, the one where
and the one where you
. I need a push in the right direction for the third one. Is there a place where the third one is tutorialized and I haven't visited yet?

The puzzle in question:

Monastery

The Desert temple;
with the water your raise and lower to see the reflection.
Any idea on how to get a better angle on the big horizontal puzzle? I stand on the opposite end and can only make out the middle, I feel so far from it as it goes up and down.

The Desert temple; with the water your raise and lower to see the reflection. Any idea on how to get a better angle on the big horizontal puzzle? I stand on the opposite end and can only make out the middle, I feel so far from it as it goes up and down.
I just solved it and unfortunately you have to try and figure it out from that angle. It's tough at first but just try solving it from afar and looking at the reflection then go try and solve it up close.

Get as many perspectives on that first panel as you can...

The perspective/position based stuff is pretty frustrating sometimes since it can feel like random guess and check more than organically working out ever more complex abstract concepts.

Edit: You got it!
Thank you! Yeah...I figured out the first three...and now I'm up top at 3 panels that turned on at once. The same trick isn't working exactly the same, so I'm giving them a real good looking over right now.

Brashnir

The Desert temple;
with the water your raise and lower to see the reflection.
Any idea on how to get a better angle on the big horizontal puzzle? I stand on the opposite end and can only make out the middle, I feel so far from it as it goes up and down.

You should probably spoiler part of the question. I was able to see the
middle and right sides by moving around, and was able to guess the last bit on the left.

shiba5

Is this puzzle (just off-shore between the keep and the shipwreck) meant to be purposefully broken (as in I'm not suppose to be able to solve it), buggy broken (as in I'm suppose to be able to but it's bugged somehow), or am I just not doing it right?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=610732555

I can get the puzzle to
sparkle a little when I press the circle part like what normally happens if your close to solving them but not in the exact right position, but nowhere I stand is able to activate it properly.

I'm thinking it might be purposefully broken because
the chunks that it's made out of appear to be worn away and broken and it seems to be missing pieces

Hint: You're looking at it from the wrong side.

The Desert temple; with the water your raise and lower to see the reflection. Any idea on how to get a better angle on the big horizontal puzzle? I stand on the opposite end and can only make out the middle, I feel so far from it as it goes up and down.

There's another angle you can get.
that reveals more of the solution

What clues am I looking for on the elevator in the
greenhouse
? I'm legit not seeing any pattern on the floors. The first 3 puzzles are isolating the colors and the 4th puzzle wants something completely different.

I am stuck here
I got the first is avoiding shadows but no clue about the other 2.
Edit : Got the
sunlight solution, last one?
Edit 2:
OF COURSE IT WAS TREE BRANCHES.

Started over fresh with my wife...knowing what I know now.

...mind fucking blown.

I didn't spoil her run through but the moment she left, I started a new game myself and "checked something"

Oh my god.

Goldrusher

and the one where you

The puzzle in question:

Look to your left.

There's a window to the left, and you get behind that window and look at the panel from there. The solution should be obvious...

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just got the endgame, and then reloaded so I can add to my total, which is 432, 25+. What now?! Are the rest of the panels to be found tied to the
obelisks
? Or have I missed some hidden locations?

Quarry beaten! 289 +6:
shady trees, bunker, keep, desert ruin, marsh, jungle, quarry

Still haven't even started
symmetry and monastery

I'm off to the mountain.

Karsha

I'm doing some puzzles and just getting some sounds when finishing them, mostly
The sun temple in the dessert and the one under the elevator when you return again.
. Are they just bonus puzzles or they do open something?

Just got the endgame, and then reloaded so I can add to my total, which is 432, 25+. What now?! Are the rest of the panels to be found tied to the
obelisks

I think everyone is still trying to work that out.
IMO the pillars may unlock something but I'm not expecting anything big. The ending appears to be at the beginning, provided you brought with you the knowledge you took along the way ;) it's easy to miss something big.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Still stuck.

Looking for a hint for the Teal door puzzle outside of the Monastery.

I'm looking down through tree roots from a platform above but can't seem to line anything up. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
You definitely have the right idea.

Small hint if you want:
The middle tree's roots hold right perspective.

cyba89

obelisks

There is one major secret area when you activate all 11 lasers. To access it go back to the top of the mountain and search for a way to activate it. Think how you opened the mountain.

GWX

Played the Windows version on a machine with minimum settings (4GB memory, HD4000), and the results aren't very good. Seems like 4GB is not enough for such config, as it's shared with video memory. Getting tons of memory issues, with the game slowing down to a halt quite often. Well, I'll wait for the iOS version, hopefully it isn't too far off! My iPad Air 2 cries out for it :)

There is one major secret area when you activated all 11 lasers. To access it go back to the top of the mountain and search for a way to activate it.
You're not talking about the inside of the mountain that leads to the end?
I must have missed something if so.

Can someone explain why this solution works for tetris pieces + blue squares?

http://i.imgur.com/KmqFNwE.jpg

I mean, I guessed because there's only 2 ways to include the 4 designated symbols while having 8 squares in the solution, and one of them worked. But like, I dont' see a way to add a 2x2 square back to this shape and end up with the 3 original pieces. So it leads me to believe,I can take out any 4 squares I want and the fact that it's shaped like a 2x2 is irrelevant?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This has probably been asked before - how does this compare to Talos? I'm in world C of Talos and have enjoyed it but the puzzles are starting to feel a bit tired and I'm getting to the point where I'm just trying to get through them rather than engaging with the world.

What say you Talos players? Similar, better, different enough?

I have a question about a puzzle near the end of the swamp area.

screenshot

The icon on the top left....am I supposed to make that shape somehow or is it saying I need to combine those pieces with the other icon to make one giant piece? Of course, I know the blue icons require me to get rid of two pieces, but I'm just wondering what the other icon is actually asking of me. Seems really tricky!

Top Bottom