• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Not a question regarding what to do, just trying to save a bit of time:
Treehouse +Puzzles:
Is there a way to get out of the treehouses besides the bridges leading to the exit? It's getting a bit tiring to reorganize the bridges, leave by boat, walk back, and find that I did something wrong with the positioning of the bridges

JTripper

Can someone explain why this solution works for tetris pieces + blue squares?

http://i.imgur.com/KmqFNwE.jpg

I mean, I guessed because there's only 2 ways to include the 4 designated symbols while having 8 squares in the solution, and one of them worked. But like, I dont' see a way to add a 2x2 square back to this shape and end up with the 3 original pieces. So it leads me to believe,I can take out any 4 squares I want and the fact that it's shaped like a 2x2 is irrelevant?

The logic is ridiculous with this puzzle.
So I guess you don't need to literally remove a 2x2 cube within the outline while still including the tetris blocks. You just need to exclude the number of blue squares any way you see fit.

The logic is ridiculous with this puzzle.
So I guess you don't need to literally remove a 2x2 cube within the outline while still including the tetris blocks. You just need to exclude the number of blue squares any way you see fit.

Check out my crude illustration a few posts back.

Dominator

This game... WOW!!

End game spoilers:
Just finished it after getting 11 lasers... Those last puzzles made me want to rip my hair out. The hardest one by far was the ones you had to complete on the door with the timer and then they switched when you failed. I need time to process that took me over 30 minutes alone even though the actual puzzles weren't that difficult. I also reloaded my save and walked back through the ending parts, and noticed something strange about the box you have to open at the top of the tower.

If anyone who's beaten it knows what I'm referring to at the end of that spoiler then let's discuss, cause this shit is fucking wild.

This game... WOW!!

End game spoilers:
Just finished it after getting 11 lasers... Those last puzzles made me want to rip my hair out. The hardest one by far was the ones you had to complete on the door with the timer and then they switched when you failed. I need time to process that took me over 30 minutes alone even though the actual puzzles weren't that difficult. I also reloaded my save and walked back through the ending parts, and noticed something strange about the box you have to open at the top of the tower.

If anyone who's beaten it knows what I'm referring to at the end of that spoiler then let's discuss, cause this shit is fucking wild.

Yup
Welcome to the second half of The Witness

Brashnir

I've been closing the game periodically to take mental breaks, and this game has downloaded updates four different times today.

294 +17 (~45%) puzzles complete, multiple pages of crazy person drawings, an ever growing photoshop file, and 17 hours on the clock and still utterly enamored. I am so glad that I am not even half finished with this game. I might be progressing a little slower than some, not sure. Already have
6 lasers
activated. I find myself wandering back into old areas time and again as I learn new things and often find stuff I've missed. What an endlessly fascinating and fantastic game.

I said to a friend yesterday, I think Portal 2 is the best puzzle game, and The Witness is the best puzzle game.

BraXzy

Just when I start to get somewhere with the tetris pieces I hit a wall. I appreciate the idea of them but it's more aggravating than interesting to solve them half the time :/
I don't quite understand how the gaps work. Are they literally just difficulty barriers not being able to use those lines? I thought it might mean that the block it is connected to gets counted as one but I guess not.
https://i.gyazo.com/e4e7a2233eb60fe6d3c21e4a9a8528ab.jpg

Nose Master

Didn't think I'd be taking pictures of my TV or opening MS Paint to progress in a video game, but here we are.

This game is pretty legit.

Sai-kun

Banned
This game... WOW!!

End game spoilers:

I haven't beaten those last puzzles after the random door, but I did hit that secondary switch on the underside of the box. :) Did you solve the panel puzzle?

It seems like you and I have had a similar pace, haha. :D

Just when I start to get somewhere with the tetris pieces I hit a wall. I appreciate the idea of them but it's more aggravating than interesting to solve them half the time :/
I don't quite understand how the gaps work. Are they literally just difficulty barriers not being able to use those lines? I thought it might mean that the block it is connected to gets counted as one but I guess not.

They're literally just barriers for the line.

Not that its a big deal but I notice the OP says the PS4 version is 900p 60fps. Correct me if I am wrong but it should be 1080p 60fps, shouldn't it?

So like I said earlier, I restarted my game out of frustration over not getting the tetris stuff. Well I got it now, so mission accomplished! Plowing through some puzzles now.

GavinGT

Banned
Help in the three-colored light room in the Town:

http://i.imgur.com/yRfVxt7.png

I've tried everything I can think of. I know
there are like 4 actual star colors, and I think I've mapped them all out. But what I've mapped out seems impossible to solve. Stuff in the bottom-left goes with stuff in the top-right, and stuff in the bottom-right goes with the top-left. I had no problem with the other puzzle in here, but I've been on this all day.

Feep

Banned
Home stretch now!

370 solved, no hints asked for. Haven't gotten any + puzzles, but I think I know the gist...just haven't seen any opportunities, yet.

I think.

Help in the three-colored light room in the Town:

http://i.imgur.com/yRfVxt7.png

I've tried everything I can think of. I know
there are like 4 actual star colors, and I think I've mapped them all out. But what I've mapped out seems impossible to solve. Stuff in the bottom-left goes with stuff in the top-right, and stuff in the bottom-right goes with the top-left. I had no problem with the other puzzle in here, but I've been on this all day.

Edit: N/m missed the stars, I'll have a look at my save

Probably overthinking it, excuse my semi dead touchpad on my laptop but you get the gist.

Fuck you Jonathan Blow (+puzzle)

"Secret messages, treasure hunts, easter eggs, they all have their hidden appeal"
Says he as I'm waiting around 1 hour for the moon to slowly pan across a screen so I can finish an environmental puzzle

G-Bus

Banned

Let the shape bridge the gap so you don't have to worry about it.

Dominator

I haven't beaten those last puzzles after the random door, but I did hit that secondary switch on the underside of the box. :) Did you solve the panel puzzle?

It seems like you and I have had a similar pace, haha. :D
Yeah we hit all the same parts around the same time it seems lol

But yeah,
I got that panel complete. The only thing I'd say is to take a picture of the complete solution once you get it.

cyba89

Jesus Christ this +
Moriarty Puzzle. It's like the 2 hours star in Braid, this moon is moving so slow D:
E: And it's still going.

Haha yeah.
I watched this for a while, saw how little progress it made and decided I don't have time for this right now. I went back to the start to solve the pillar puzzle and unlock the dev ending. After that I loaded my game again and went back into the caves. I was very surprised when I heard the sound of the tape still echoing through the cave.

Fuck you Jonathan Blow (+puzzle)

"Secret messages, treasure hunts, easter eggs, they all have their hidden appeal"
Says he as I'm waiting around 1 hour for the moon to slowly pan across a screen so I can finish an environmental puzzle

I think you can freely jump to specific parts of the video by only partly drawing the shape.

Haha yeah.
I watched this for a while, saw how little progress it made and decided I don't have time for this right now. I went back to the start to solve the pillar puzzle and unlock the dev ending. After that I loaded my game again and went back into the caves. I was very surprised when I heard the sound of the tape still echoing through the cave.

Seriously,
and he even mocks us by talking about the appeal of easter eggs and hidden puzzles. It's one of the 8/9 hidden puzzles left for me, I think, so I'm just going to do something else right now and hope I don't miss the moon.

I think you can freely jump to specific parts of the video by only partly drawing the shape.

Yeah you can, but
the environmental puzzle starts when the moon is at the beginning of the video, and ends at the end, and you have to do it from the back of the screen

If only it were so easy...

It looks different under different lighting: http://i.imgur.com/gR1C3y0.png

Make a table on what color they are under each lighting and then you should see who you need to separate

Brashnir

Think I'm done for the night. Staring at this
Mountain Entrance
puzzle and I'm just not getting how to do it. I'm sure they don't get any easier once inside, but this one has defeated me for the night.

Top Bottom