• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

sappyday

So I began playing it yesterday. I love it so far but I feel hopeless most of the time.

Beginning stuff I guess:
So far I've lit one beam which is the one at the canyon by the desert.

Then I was able to
watch the video at the bottom of the windmill.

After that I was lost on where to go. I know it's open ended but some places seem more advanced than others so I tried to see which ones I can do.

So I visited the
tree dojo and I solved a few puzzles there but got stumped. I then went to the castle where you have to step on floor panels to mimic the line puzzle. Was able to do one but then got stuck on the next. Now I'm at the place that teaches you about the yellow blocks in the line puzzles but I don't quite understand it fully.

DasFool

That last hedge maze. I'm going mental. Been stuck on it for days. I keep coming back to no avail.
I get that the puzzle and maze don't match up. I'm still dumb founded.

The 3rd pressure plate one is a doozy as well. So confused.

For the third pressure plate,
think about what you can do as a moving object vs the limitations of the line on the panel.

nobode

Neo Member
Can someone tell me how many panels do I need to solve in the
underground timed physical maze area
? I am having quite a bit of motion sickness repeatedly navigating it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
After the endgame, Inside the
challenge cavern and I'm kicking the shit out of these Tetris pieces. The marsh taught me well. Don't want to finish this section too fast...

Gsnap

So I just solved this one, but I dont ubderstand how the pieces connect (last tetris tutorial before the blue
hollow tetris pieces

Can someone paint it or something for me?
Obviously the L is at the top left corner, but I don't know if I understand the T-shapes missing a piece correctly.

Image:

the small T's are interlocking in the middle, and the lone one is on the rightmost panel. Because the T's only touch on corners they can overlap sort of.

sappyday

This game feels like the Dark Souls of puzzle games. I don't like using that expression but this game has me feeling the same way as Dark Souls did especially the way it is designed.

AgeEighty

I thought I had a firm grasp on the way colors work, but apparently I'm missing something.

The way I have understood it:
  • Black and white cannot be together
  • Primary colors can't have more than one per area
  • A primary color can share an area with a secondary color if that primary color is one of its components
  • Black or white can coexist with a primary or secondary color
  • Colored stars have to pair two of the same color; can't mix two different colored stars even if one is white, black or secondary
  • All pairs of stars have to be separate crom all other pairs, even if they are different colored pairs

I must be wrong about some of this; the question is, which parts?

Brashnir

I thought I had a firm grasp on the way colors work, but apparently I'm missing something.

• A primary color can share an area with a secondary color if that primary color is one of its components
  • Colored stars have to pair two of the same color; can't mix two different colored stars even if one is white, black or secondary
  • All pairs of stars have to be separate crom all other pairs, even if they are different colored pairs

A is correct.

The others are all incorrect or partially correct.

edit - actually, A is only correct for squares, so it is also partially incorrect.

I've honestly just treated colored squares the same as black and white squares, and I have yet to have this fail (having reached the endgame). In other words, treat black, white, and any other color equally. Some of the primary-secondary stuff might apply to the bunker (a few of us are trying to understand it after solving it by a lucky guess, honestly).

There is no rule that I have seen where you can only have one square of any color in an area.

Different-colored pairs of stars do not have to be separated from each other. A contiguous area can have any number of colors of star pairs.

kadotsu

Banned
So I just found the area
that requires 11 lasers and an understanding of triangles. Two things:

One: If you thought you were hot shit for getting to the end this area will set you straight.
Two: I was certain this area connected the door from the desert but it doesn't seem that way, which makes me anxious if there is yet another area I don't know shit about.

GhaleonEB

That last hedge maze. I'm going mental. Been stuck on it for days. I keep coming back to no avail.

For the pressure plate ones and the hedge mazes, I drew a 4x4 grid of squares on graph paper and then drew the panel maze on it, to help with solving. The trick with the last one is to
draw the panel maze. Then follow the physical hedge maze in a way that is comparable with the panel one, not the other way around.

Brashnir

The fact that
the maze and the panel don't match is the clue. Draw a path that works for both the maze and the panel.

Robiin

Two tetris blocks. a pile of wood blocks the most obvious solution.
When I completed this puzzle I felt like a genious. It is a very "obvious" solution which is why I recommend you to try by yourself until you are ready to give up. My first hint is ok and pretty obscure, but the second one is kind of revelating.
Hint :
what makes this concept different from drawing lines on the panel?

Hint 2 makes the solution pretty obvious:
the pile of wood might not actually "block" it...

Brashnir

When I completed this puzzle I felt like a genious. It is a very "obvious" solution which is why I recommend you to try by yourself until you are ready to give up. My first hint is ok and pretty obscure, but the second one is kind of revelating.
Hint :

I already finished it. I was just relaying more info the the guy who is stuck on it. :)

GavinGT

Banned
I'm now at the same point you guys are at. Solved the left one and stuck on the right one.

Yeah, I had to draw it out on a piece of paper but I got the left one. Those sun symbols have got me all fucked up.

This is what I get when I draw out the right one. Do you guys agree? The colors I chose are arbitrary.

http://i.imgur.com/YDeDsZ5.png

I just can't see how that's possible.

Again, I'm referring to this one in Town:

http://i.imgur.com/gR1C3y0.png

hughesta

Banned
Hint :

I know I can
press the space that the wood is on, but I can't seem to find a way to solve the puzzle without breaking it's logic

AgeEighty

But did you get the left one? I did and thought I had it figured out, but the right seems impossible.

I've been stuck on this one myself. I actually figured out exactly
what color all the blocks are in normal light (I think):

Upper left block: 3 violet, 1 white (bottom left)
Upper right block: 3 red, 1 black (top right)
Lower left block: 3 black, 1 red (bottom left)
Lower right block: 3 white, 1 violet (top right)

But I still can't figure out the solution.

Robiin

I know I can
press the space that the wood is on, but I can't seem to find a way to solve the puzzle without breaking it's logic
That is the key to the puzzle. Remember that you can also
walk around on the floor between the squares to not draw anything.
Can't help you more without seeing the puzzle, but you have the right idea.
Good luck with the next one. Took me two nights of sleep to finally solve it, and I barely understood once I did. Thankfully someone in this very thread helped me "see" it.

KraytarJ

So I'm doing the
symmetry stuff and I'm having trouble with the blue and yellow stuff, namely why is the yellow line fading as I'm moving along the puzzles? Am I missing something because it doesn't really make sense to me.

GavinGT

Banned
I've been stuck on this one myself. I actually figured out exactly
what color all the blocks are in normal light (I think):

Upper left block: 3 violet, 1 white (bottom left)
Upper right block: 3 red, 1 black (top right)
Lower left block: 3 black, 1 red (bottom left)
Lower right block: 3 white, 1 violet (top right)

But I still can't figure out the solution.

That's consistent with the arbitrary color scheme I devised in my last post.

AgeEighty

This is what I get when I draw out the right one. Do you guys agree? The colors I chose are arbitrary.

http://i.imgur.com/YDeDsZ5.png

I just can't see how that's possible.

Again, I'm referring to this one in Town:

http://i.imgur.com/gR1C3y0.png

Take a look at my chart above. Here are the guidelines I followed:

- If a star looks bright under all three lights, it is white.
- If a star looks dark under all three lights, is is black.
- If a star looks bright under red and blue light but not green, it is violet.
- If a star looks bright under only red light, it is red.

That describes all four different combinations that appear when you switch between light sources.

I still haven't solved it though, because I'm not sure about the rules for separating those colors.

Brashnir

So I'm doing the
symmetry stuff and I'm having trouble with the blue and yellow stuff, namely why is the yellow line fading as I'm moving along the puzzles? Am I missing something because it doesn't really make sense to me.

It
fades to make it harder to keep track of both lines. no other reason. It's just to confuse you

Top Bottom