• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

hughesta

Banned
Took an hour long break to play some Siege and now I'm solving these swamp puzzles that had left me a broken man these past three days. So happy to finally be making progress.

I don't know if I agree with this, although I am only about 230 puzzles and 5 beams into The Witness. Some of the record/play puzzles in Talos (that I 100%-ed) were much harder than anything I have encountered in The Witness.

Really? I found them to be difficult too, but I feel like I struggled less to find the solution.

Witness is nowhere near as straightforward with the rules and doesnt give any hints. You can use hints in Talos Principle.

Ive slowly made my way through the tetris puzzles, which didnt make sense to me at first. Im also running into more rules that I have no idea how they work. Talos Principle was very straightforward with its open world.

But yeah, those record puzzles were very tricky. Surprisingly for me, I was able to complete the whole game without help, and I havent played many puzzles outside Fez and Portal 2.

I have been enjoying it but the mechanics are just getting a bit stale I guess. I'll keep playing it but just wanted a comparison for The Witness.

I really enjoyed Talos Principle. Which mechanics? where are you?

Do you want it to be harder? The record/play puzzles get quite tricky. Talos Principle also has some really tricky puzzles for the stars in the game, which are a lot harder and utilize the entire maps for some areas.

And while the puzzles motivated me, the story really drew me in and made me so very curious. I adored the philosophical conversations with the PC and the battle with the god above.

I also genuinely avoided the tower out of fear. It was such a neat story

BraXzy

I love how in the swamp
, I went to the bridge because I couldn't figure out the first panel with a tilted tetris piece. After solving the rotating bridge I instantly clicked that the tilt = rotatable.

If only it were so easy...

It looks different under different lighting: http://i.imgur.com/gR1C3y0.png

Yeah, I have the answer here now but imgur has decided to crap out on me and don't want to upload straight to GAF. So here's it in text.
2 up, 1 right, 2 down, 4 right, 2 up, 3 left, 1 up, 2 left, 2 up, 2 right, 1 up, 1 right, 3 down, 3 right, 2 up, 2 left, up and exit

Imgur working again so here's that too. http://imgur.com/gakcvvf

Took an hour long break to play some Siege and now I'm solving these swamp puzzles that had left me a broken man these past three days. So happy to finally be making progress.

Haha. That's me man. Stepped away from at least two puzzles, came back to them and instantly got them.

It's really interesting how a break does that. Sometimes you get way too invested in a pattern and your brain has to reset.

hughesta

Banned
Haha. That's me man. Stepped away from at least two puzzles, came back to them and instantly got them.

It's really interesting how a break does that. Sometimes you get way too invested in a pattern and your brain has to reset.
Now this last blue piece tutorial is stumping me :( must be some rule I'm not getting.

e: got it!

Nose Master

Been burning through too many of these. Stuck on the third
hedge maze
puzzle. I think I'm just tired, it's like 1AM and I gotta work in five hours. Tomorrow, witness. /shakes fist.

115 puzzles, +20.

Done for tonight and taking my sweet time. Unfortunately won't get to play at all this weekend, but found a good place to stop.

This game is so damn good.

Gale007

Hey guys, was wondering if there is a way to start a new save file/game? I see the "start a new game" option in the pause menu but I just want to be 100% sure choosing to do so won't erase my progress so far.

edit: nvm a new save file is indeed created when you hit start new game.

The endgame is actually slowing down my progress for the first time. An hour and a half later and I have made it to the
seizure
panels.

Man, it looks like a long way to reach the bottom still.

Also, easter egg:
the wooden models in the workshop are actual alternative building designs that used to be on the mountaintop during development!

nobode

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with these two puzzles and could really use some help.

The first is the desert bunker/beach puzzle: http://imgur.com/mTDWilt

The second is a puzzle in the
underground section
: http://imgur.com/AQsGPDB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First one:
You can cancel the T-block completely with the blue ones.
Second one:
Three of the tetris shapes are combined together at the
bottom left corner

Exuro

Wow [end game spoilers]
Found out about the extra locks under the box on the top of the mountain and found a load of new puzzles to do in the cavern below. Honestly thought I had done 80-90% of all of the puzzles on the i. This is pretty awesome, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting more and more insane as I do these things.

Wow [end game spoilers]
Found out about the extra locks under the box on the top of the mountain and found a load of new puzzles to do in the cavern below. Honestly thought I had done 80-90% of all of the puzzles on the i. This is pretty awesome, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting more and more insane as I do these things.

Welcome to the club.

BraXzy

Some people seem to progress super fast in this game. I'm on like 10 or so hours and I'm only at 140+9 but I take it pretty slow, leave the game idle sometimes and don't give up easy :3

Oni3298

Yeah, pretty much. Just didn't wanna tell in case you were asking because of what people were saying.

Two of the stars will be paired together, the other will be paired with a box.

First one:
You can cancel the T-block completely with the blue ones.
Second one:
Three of the tetris shapes are combined together at the
bottom left corner

Got 'em both, thanks guys! :D

hughesta

Banned
Oof, second set of blue tetris tutorials is starting to get to me. Made it to the third panel but geez. I don't even want to think about how bad it'll eventually get.

I'm getting off for tonight. I was planning on quitting 2 hours ago, but here I am. I'm at 274 +14

You can't solve it correctly from
where you're standing to take the pic.

Just wanted to say that I finally figured this one out. Definitely need to change the way you think to play this game.

Zomba13

So I looked on Reddit to see what was up there and there was a post about a gate. I assumed it was a certain gate at the end I had trouble with (thinking I was locked out of the rest of the game) so I clicked but it was actually something completely different and a super spoiler (it did warn with endgame or something, not the users fault). I did the thing and wow. It's something. I need to find out where the guy got the information that lead him to that point.

I did it because I was already spoiled on it, didn't really care much and wanted to see anyway. (The poster only showed the "solution" to a thing, I did the thing anyway which was the real big thing). It was enlightening.

On a different but still end gamey note (though they can be found and accessed before finishing)
Where are the other hex puzzle keys? I've found 4, the BBC documentary, the weird candle thing I don't understand, the lecture and the lady talking.

14 hours, 319 +7. Finishing tonight the endgame, at the
synchronized
panels.

I don't mind all the
visual tricks
in the endgame, but, man, the vanilla puzzles that are just hard are at a whole different level. Brutally exact solutions that somehow emerge strictly out of the established rules.

my reaction to the tetris puzzles

WbaUJ6Y.gif

falz3333

Neo Member
Has anyone unlocked the door in the rusty ship? That's the only puzzle I haven't completed that I know of. Already got the plat. I think these audio puzzles are sort of poorly designed...

Sickbean

Just done four or five puzzles involving trees and
the position of the apples
. It opened a gate but seemed to be a dead end. Am I missing something?

GhaleonEB

Finished the puzzle in the quarry that had thwarted me last night for an hour. I walked away, and figured out how to solve it while I was thinking it over at work. Finished it in ~2 minutes when I got home today. Huzzah!

I also solved the four part
hedge mazes, using graph paper - bloody brilliant twist on that last one - and two of the pressure plate mazes, also with graph paper (and Natalie's help.
And then, the tetris blocks stopped me, as I don't know how to use them yet. I did the two sequences of tutorial puzzles in the swamp, but I'll be damned if I can do the first real one, on top of the yellow squares. I fee like I'm ending just like last night: a concept has almost formed in my head, and I need to walk away and sleep on it to let it finish gestating.

Also: my daughter and I don't do stuff together a lot these days. She's 13, and spends her time on her cell phone or chatting with friends. Tonight we spent half an hour before her bed time graphing out some of the physical mazes
pressure plates
and she helped solve them. It was the best bonding time we've had in AGES. Thanks, Mr. Blow.

Also: I suddenly have two save files, with a puzzle count difference of 7, and like, 20 minutes apart. I don't know why. Has this happened to anyone else? How do I delete the older one?

110 panels done.

Also: I suddenly have two save files, with a puzzle count difference of 7, and like, 20 minutes apart. I don't know why. Has this happened to anyone else? How do I delete the older one?

110 panels done.

The game automatically makes a new save file after about every 100 puzzles.

Oni3298

It's one puzzle, three different lighting conditions.
Inside a door with a puzzle of pink stars and tetris blocks.

Ahh, the one with the soundproof room in the basement? Sadly I haven't figured out the soundproof room puzzle, so I'm of no help. =[

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
About 170 puzzles in and just hit tetris puzzles. Game has lost its appeal a bit. Just some thoughts:

So the problem with these Tetris puzzles is that I don't feel like I am growing as a player from them. I am just brute forcing them and trying different possibilities till I get it right.
Also, as a game on the whole I am bit disappointed that the environment isn't used more. It's so beautiful but after awhile it just feels like it is housing these line puzzles; and it is nothing more than eye candy and to add to the idea of being a witness. I love the idea that there are no tutorials and you go around the island seeking knowledge since it is your only weapon(like a new item from Zelda) . But I think it could've been done a bit better.

The greenhouse was spectacular in puzzle solving since it incorporated its environment more; but nothing else has matched this high.
Also saw the video of the lady in white that sounded something straight from a self-help book. Not sure what to think about that. The game lost its subtlety in that moment; and came off a bit pretentious.
Any thoughts on any of this? Would love to discuss more. I am just glad there are big games like this trying new things!

Afrocious

Yeah
the swamp
might be where I stop for the night. I
managed to take the small floating platform to the other side to other red puzzles, but i'm stuck on the second puzzle on the door and the first puzzle on that panel.

EDIT: Oh shit I got it!

G-Bus

Banned
I also solved the four part
hedge mazes, using graph paper - bloody brilliant twist on that last one - and two of the pressure plate mazes, also with graph paper (and Natalie's help.

That last hedge maze. I'm going mental. Been stuck on it for days. I keep coming back to no avail.
I get that the puzzle and maze don't match up. I'm still dumb founded.

The 3rd pressure plate one is a doozy as well. So confused.

Robiin

So I just solved this one, but I dont ubderstand how the pieces connect (last tetris tutorial before the blue
hollow tetris pieces

Can someone paint it or something for me?
Obviously the L is at the top left corner, but I don't know if I understand the T-shapes missing a piece correctly.

Image:

Top Bottom