• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Oni3298

It seems right, but if it were correct then the solution posted earlier would work, right? But it doesn't. I'm stumped.

I've been stuck on this one myself. I actually figured out exactly
what color all the blocks are in normal light (I think):

Upper left block: 3 violet, 1 white (bottom left)
Upper right block: 3 red, 1 black (top right)
Lower left block: 3 black, 1 red (bottom left)
Lower right block: 3 white, 1 violet (top right)

But I still can't figure out the solution.

This is what I get when I draw out the right one. Do you guys agree? The colors I chose are arbitrary.

http://i.imgur.com/YDeDsZ5.png

I just can't see how that's possible.

Again, I'm referring to this one in Town:

http://i.imgur.com/gR1C3y0.png

Holy shit, finally got it :D

Answer below:

Up 1
Right 5
Up 2
Left 4
Up 2
Right 1
Up 1
Right 2
Down 2
Right 1
Up 2
Right 1

Only click if you want the answer :p

EDIT: Sorry for lack of image....

EDIT2: Now with image! :D

GavinGT

Banned
Take a look at my chart above. Here are the guidelines I followed:

- If a star looks bright under all three lights, it is white.
- If a star looks dark under all three lights, is is black.
- If a star looks bright under red and blue light but not green, it is violet.
- If a star looks bright under only red light, it is red.

That describes all four different combinations that appear when you switch between light sources.

I still haven't solved it though, because I'm not sure about the rules for separating those colors.

I'm almost positive the rule is that a grouping must contain exactly two of a certain color of star. A given grouping, however, can contain more than one color. So two groups of two different colored stars in the same grouping is fine.

You're on the right track.

Overlay the smaller piece and remove two blocks in a way that makes drawing the shape possible

Slightly more specific:

Which squares would you have to fill to make drawing the shape possible?

Hey, thanks for the hints. I was able to clear the entire swamp area. It's weird. By the end of that section, I started to actually....kind of like the tetris puzzles. They're so tough but man, when you land on a solution, the feeling is incredible.

Oni3298

I'm not sure what was accomplished by solving that puzzle though :,D did anything unlock?

Yea, of that I am not sure. I didn't find anything obvious.

Also, if you haven't gotten it already, don't forget about the environmental puzzle on the outside of the shipping containers in the flower beds.
The light inside needs to be red

KraytarJ

It
fades to make it harder to keep track of both lines. no other reason. It's just to confuse you
Oh, now I see what my problem was. I was for some reason thinking the endpoint to one of the puzzles was in a totally different spot. That explains it. Thanks.

xanavi

Question for anyone in the who's in the end-game. How many
beams are there to activate? I have eleven done, I want to know if it's the right time to proceed with the box that gets unlocked by the beams or if there are more to activate.

Greecian-

beams are there to activate? I have eleven done, I want to know if it's the right time to proceed with the box that gets unlocked by the beams or if there are more to activate.

You've gotten them all

Oni3298

11 is the total number of beams, so you should be good to proceed.

danielg1138

Neo Member
Quick question about something that is either a glitch or my own stupidity, before I go back to being unable to tear myself away from the game:

In the jungle area with the bird sounds, I can't find the place to hear the appropriate sequence for one of the panels. It is the third one in the set of three that are close together in the lower part of the pathway (sorry for the crappy description). Whenever I stand in front of it, all I hear is the sound for the first one of that set of three panels. The first and second ones work fine, so when I stand in front of them, the right sound plays to provide the solution.

I definitely don't want a puzzle solution, just one of two options: whether there is more for me to figure out or if this is actually something that isn't supposed to be happening :)

AgeEighty

I'm not sure what was accomplished by solving that puzzle though :,D did anything unlock?

I thought it was going to do something related to
the puzzle on the church door
, but nothing with that changed that I can see.

After examining it again, I noticed that
There are nearby pieces of broken fence that obscure the "extra stars" that make that puzzle look impossible to solve. I don't think that can be a coincidence, yet even solving the puzzle with the extra red and purple star obscured doesn't seem to work.

Chuckie

I might need some beginners help. I have no screenshot, so I'll try to describe it

There are these panels where (it seems) you have to trace what you see behind these panels. These rock formations in the sea I mean. The first three (I think) went pretty well, but now I reached one that has a small rock in the middle. Thats it. One small rock.
Somehow I cannot trace this one. I am clearly doing something wrong.
Halp

G-Bus

Banned
269 + 6.
5 lasers
I think.

The keep was a nightmare. I'm stubborn as hell and I really don't want to write anything down. Thanks for the help on those any who. So happy that's over with.

Seriously dreading the tree fort. Stumped on the last couple walkways. Near the end of them at least.

No idea how you guys are finding so many + puzzles. I'm not really looking but still..

Really hope this game sells. It's something special imo.

Brashnir

I might need some beginners help. I have no screenshot, so I'll try to describe it

There are these panels where (it seems) you have to trace what you see behind these panels. These rock formations in the sea I mean. The first three (I think) went pretty well, but now I reached one that has a small rock in the middle. Thats it. One small rock.
Somehow I cannot trace this one. I am clearly doing something wrong.
Halp

move.

Zomba13

Suuuuuuper late game stuff (like deep post game stuff)
Anyone know how to input on the final puzzle of the timed music? I think I made it to the end but I couldn't use the screens up above or in the reflections. I did "skip" some of the puzzles when there were multiples because one on each was super easy and the others seemed impossible. And completing one opened up the next set anyway. I used the terminal in the maze and solved that then in the final room with the monitors going crazy I couldn't do anything.

I'm at (puzzle amount spoiler)
495, +91
. 26 hours played.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got some progress yesterday, but got blocked by a puzzle at the end of 2 sections. Not really asking for help, but just some impressions about them:
- I did the entire Japanese house with the tree/environment puzzles, but got stuck on the last of the 4 pillars. I stared at those branches for minutes, god I wasted so much time on this one and still didn't find it. But I'm gonna try getting different perspectives tonight, see if that helps.
- I advanced through the color house up until the elevator. Then there's the broken power cable... I'm guessing I'll have to apply those color filters somehow and 'predict' the code for the upper floor, even though I don't know what the upper colors are. Or maybe I have to know the colors without a filter. Another one that's driving me insane.

Still managed to go from 75 to 100 though, with
a second laser activated
, so it's all good

Feep

Banned
Well, beat it. 405+4 at the moment, 17 hours logged.

Endgame spoilers:
The puzzles are brilliant enough to be their own reward, but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with the weird Buddhism-lite near-nonsense ending. I was hoping Blow got this sort of thing out of his system with Braid, but oh well.

People keep saying there's supposed to be some mega-spoiler? Maybe I haven't hit it yet; I haven't seen anything that I could spoil for people. Well, I'll keep going...the puzzles are great, and I'm happy to keep playing.

Missing one puzzle to get to the higher number I've heard.
Got all environmental ones, though, leaving me with 520 +135 + 6.
E: GOT MY LAST PUZZLE (For now) WOOP

I'll try to look into getting all the audiologs now, and to see the differences between some of the solved puzzles in the
dev's ending

God this game is amazing.

falz3333

Neo Member
Suuuuuuper late game stuff (like deep post game stuff)
Anyone know how to input on the final puzzle of the timed music? I think I made it to the end but I couldn't use the screens up above or in the reflections. I did "skip" some of the puzzles when there were multiples because one on each was super easy and the others seemed impossible. And completing one opened up the next set anyway. I used the terminal in the maze and solved that then in the final room with the monitors going crazy I couldn't do anything.

I'm at (puzzle amount spoiler)
495, +91
. 26 hours played.

yeah, I got held up there too.
I just did not notice the terminals in the maze room. The thing you are missing is that you must complete two of the triangle puzzle terminals before you can progress to the next section!

Zomba13

yeah, I got held up there too.
I just did not notice the terminals in the maze room. The thing you are missing is that you must complete two of the triangle puzzle terminals before you can progress to the next section!

Thanks. I'll try that next time.

Well, beat it. 405+4 at the moment, 17 hours logged.

Endgame spoilers:
The puzzles are brilliant enough to be their own reward, but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with the weird Buddhism-lite near-nonsense ending. I was hoping Blow got this sort of thing out of his system with Braid, but oh well.

People keep saying there's supposed to be some mega-spoiler? Maybe I haven't hit it yet; I haven't seen anything that I could spoil for people. Well, I'll keep going...the puzzles are great, and I'm happy to keep playing.

Not to spoil anything but still will put it in spoilers anyway
There is more. During post game stuff you can get to a thing that will lead you to more "story". Well, I dunno if story is the right word, worldbuilding? There is definitely more past the ending.

GavinGT

Banned
Can someone tell me what the throwaway puzzles laying on the ground are for? I've got like all of them and they still make no sense.

Can someone tell me what the throwaway puzzles laying on the ground are for? I've got like all of them and they still make no sense.

They're very important for post-game stuff. Try to fail them in different ways and see if you can learn the rules.

Really hope people begin reaching the end so we can start digging and find another layer of stuff. I need more lines Blow.

The puzzles in the forest where you have to
avoid the branches but can go through the bars....the last one was freakin' hard as hell for me.

Dragnet

FUCK THIS 3RD HEDGE MAZE LADS OH MY GOD

Didn't even need to go inside of the 4th to solve that. 1st was easy. 2nd I'm pretty sure I fluked. FUCK THE THIRD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So just after (end game-ish maybe?)
opening the mountain,you end up in aperture sciences. There are a row of damaged panels on the wall. Are you supposed to solve them? They're really far away and on a TV they are really difficult to figure out what is what. I'm ok with the weird twisted/displaced bit, they're just too small.

I managed the first three so far, but that last one I really couldn't
see what the Tetris piece in the bottom left corner was, just had to try out a few variations. I'm kneeling 30cm away from my TV squinting at barely visible pixels

Can someone let me know if I should persevere or move on at that point?

So just after (end game-ish maybe?)
opening the mountain,you end up in aperture sciences. There are a row of damaged panels on the wall. Are you supposed to solve them? They're really far away and on a TV they are really difficult to figure out what is what. I'm ok with the weird twisted/displaced bit, they're just too small.

I managed the first three so far, but that last one I really couldn't
see what the Tetris piece in the bottom left corner was, just had to try out a few variations

Can someone let me know if I should persevere or move on at that point?

You're talking about the
televisions with an underground cave in the junk pile? If so, you don't need to solve them. If you're talking about the yellow/green panels on the walls, you do need to solve them. Climb the staircase in the room and it should become clear how.

I missed something that would make the piece on the right make sense, right?

http://i.imgur.com/VjOFdOM.jpg?1

This door was my mortal enemy. I kept coming back to it as I starting clearing a few Tetris puzzles. It wasn't until I fully cleared
the swamp
which went pretty smoothly overall, that I thought I was sooo ready. Nope still took me 30 min. The satisfaction afterwards was glorious though.

Haven't been able to play in 24 hours, I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Ok, I thought I had this one. I'm calling it the lattice one...in the village-y area

image isn't really a spoiler
Hp82R5I.jpg

I thought I had it
behind it part of the lattice broken, and you can make a unique path following where there is no backing lattice, but nope

Would love a small hint

Top Bottom