• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Yeah, the design of the island is absolute masterclass. After I finished the game I browsed reddit a bit and there are a lot of really cool perspective easter eggs with statues, tree branches, reflections and such. This game has so many little details in addition to the
+1 puzzles
Yeah, a lot of things are kind of just there, and then when you get to a slightly different angle on the area you see why.
The shadow cast from the one corner of the castle down onto to the orange forest is one of my most memorable.

Anyone figure out the puzzle in the boat?
The sound puzzle with the dripping water. It sounds like Low, High, Medium, but there are 7 dots and they're even different colors...
You kind of have to
open your mind a bit to the possibilities. If your ideas aren't working, maybe they're not the right ideas.

*Splinter

Anyone figure out the puzzle in the boat?
The sound puzzle with the dripping water. It sounds like Low, High, Medium, but there are 7 dots and they're even different colors...
Hmm, that's strange...
I hear High, Low... and much later a louder splash that I can't place. I was wondering if there was a way to hear different noises (since there are different coloured dots)... I saw a
red
light nearby, so guessing the noises I can hear correspond to those dots? Haven't figured out the rest though...

I need to go back there, I'm not great at hat kind of puzzle though

mclem

In the B
amboo
F
orest

Is it a puzzle to find where the puzzles start, should it be obvious but I've missed it, or is it only opened up by triggering something elsewhere?

Stoze

Well I beat the game. I did it once with 10 lasers and then once with 11, and didn't notice a difference unfortunately.

Spoiler free impressions of the ending...I thought it was underwhelming though fitting I suppose. Then I realized something right afterwards and my mind was throughly blown. Even then I'm still not really sure what the full implications of it are. I'm gonna hit the hay and think about everything, then off to keep making progress. There's so many things I can think of that are still out there.

I still feel like I'm either missing something with the ending itself, or it's just not supposed to be a big, revelatory ending. Maybe I expected too much. The lead up to it and the final puzzles are something else though.

What a hell of a game.

mclem

I don't know, haha. Maybe I should just start writing down what I've seen and what I can't solve and then persevere.

Additionally, could someone give me a hint with the red tree temple just beyond the village and the fence on the other side of the cracks in the wall?

I understand that I have to look through the cracks in the wall to see the path through the puzzle, that works on the left/first one. But the very clear path doesn't work on the second one?

You need to think a little further. It may help if you've done all the puzzles in the pink blossom orchard

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any panels you aren't supposed to do? Eg (post mountain spoiler)
discarded ones in the piles of furniture and monitors. There is one in the first room for example.

Edit: never mind, done it.

Ozorov

Know nothing about the game but i bought it today for ps4. Is it a good idea to have a notepad by your side or is that overkill?

Stoze

Know nothing about the game but i bought it today for ps4. Is it a good idea to have a notepad by your side or is that overkill?

It's not overkill at all, there's spots where pen and paper or at least screenshotting feels almost mandatory. I used both fairly frequently.

Kaisos

I understand how to do them now, but the tetris puzzles are just insanely, ridiculously unpleasant. Easily the worst puzzles I've seen in the game so far.

Wanted to ask, is the -actual-, final ending of the game the
bit where Jon Blow wakes up in real life, complete with piss jar
? Because if so that's a bit, uh

BeeDog

Could someone spoil the logic for one of the village puzzles (which I bruteforced)? It's the
Green puzzle panel that sort of looks like a x/y coordinate grid, with tons of exits.
Couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do there.

mercviper

Could someone spoil the logic for one of the village puzzles (which I bruteforced)? It's the
Green puzzle panel that sort of looks like a x/y coordinate grid, with tons of exits.

There's an apple nearby...

jmartoine

I don't know, haha. Maybe I should just start writing down what I've seen and what I can't solve and then persevere.

Additionally, could someone give me a hint with the red tree temple just beyond the village and the fence on the other side of the cracks in the wall?

I understand that I have to look through the cracks in the wall to see the path through the puzzle, that works on the left/first one. But the very clear path doesn't work on the second one?

The path for the second one should work, just takes a bit of moving around to get it lined up correctly.

It's an overhead view of the tree beside the puzzle. Empty spaces were broken branches and the answer was where the apple is.

mclem

Seriously. Without graph paper I would never be able to visualize the tetris puzzles.

Nothing particular majorly spoilery, just a bit about how I thought about some of these:

One thing that helped me with some of the ones that involved a lot of pieces was to make sure I knew exactly how many tiles I needed to account for; one puzzle in particular I approached more as "Which tiles don't I include?" rather than which I do.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing particular majorly spoilery, just a bit about how I thought about some of these:

One thing that helped me with some of the ones that involved a lot of pieces was to make sure I knew exactly how many tiles I needed to account for; one puzzle in particular I approached more as "Which tiles don't I include?" rather than which I do.

yep, this made the optional one in the Marsh with all the pieces incredibly easy.

Weeee! I finished! Stats
434 +48 at the finish currently at 500 +54.

Post-end game spoiler/question:
Under the mountain there is a music box that you are timed by. I want to know where the puzzles end, the most recent one I could find was a triangle puzzle hidden in a maze with barriers shooting up. Also that end game puzzle sequence was AMAZING!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
After mountain spoilers:

Oh no - the
colours
- they
burn

Hated these in the
bunker and these are way worse. Gonna give me a migraine

Yeah, there's a lot to talk about. I posted a bit of my take in the story a page or so back and I really think the design of this game is great and should be discussed about.

cyba89

Post-end game spoiler/question:
Under the mountain there is a music box that you are timed by. I want to know where the puzzles end, the most recent one I could find was a triangle puzzle hidden in a maze with barriers shooting up. Also that end game puzzle sequence was AMAZING!
You are almost there. There is one sequence with two puzzles left after the labyrinth. You can also get a hint about the labyrinth layout and its puzzle locations earlier on.

Can someone explain why this solution works for tetris pieces + blue squares?

http://i.imgur.com/KmqFNwE.jpg

I mean, I guessed because there's only 2 ways to include the 4 designated symbols while having 8 squares in the solution, and one of them worked. But like, I dont' see a way to add a 2x2 square back to this shape and end up with the 3 original pieces. So it leads me to believe,I can take out any 4 squares I want and the fact that it's shaped like a 2x2 is irrelevant?
Just wanted to say I'm just as puzzled by this as you are, even after reading the replies to it.
Even having the yellow pieces overlap, I don't understand how they can overlap with the 2x2 piece added back in such that they cover the area the 2x2 piece removes. The only reason I got it was because I knew I'd have to loop every piece and leave eight pieces unlooped.

Stoze

Yeah, there's a lot to talk about. I posted a bit of my take in the story a page or so back and I really think the design of this game is great and should be discussed about.

I so badly want to discuss stuff after beating the game, but I feel like I can't until I do absolutely everything or else I'll end up spoiling things for myself.

I mean, I guessed because there's only 2 ways to include the 4 designated symbols while having 8 squares in the solution, and one of them worked. But like, I dont' see a way to add a 2x2 square back to this shape and end up with the 3 original pieces. So it leads me to believe,I can take out any 4 squares I want and the fact that it's shaped like a 2x2 is irrelevant?
The bottlenecks are in reverse prder, and the middle 4 are missing. That's a pretty cool way to do it.

kadotsu

Banned
I have been trying this one for 2 hours altogether, I have no idea what to do with it, a hint would be helpful please.

I think the stars can only be in pairs on their side of the line? But then sometimes the dots can take the place of a star? But there's an odd number so I can't make it divide at all. I though, since you can just walk over this puzzle and get to the other side, it might be impossible, but this is ridiculous

Hint:
Think what you could do with diagonals.

I have been trying this one for 2 hours altogether, I have no idea what to do with it, a hint would be helpful please.

I think the stars can only be in pairs on their side of the line? But then sometimes the dots can take the place of a star? But there's an odd number so I can't make it divide at all. I though, since you can just walk over this puzzle and get to the other side, it might be impossible, but this is ridiculous

white stars dont care if they are with black dots. maybe that will help you

mclem

I *think* the pieces are laid out like this. The numbers here correspond to the amount of 'stacks' on a given spot, with the yellow pieces being +1, the blue being -1.

Code:
[spoiler]
. . . .   . . . .
. . . .   . . . .
. . # .   . . 1 .
# # # .   1 1 1 .

. . . .   . . . .
. . . .   . . . .
. # . .   . 1 1 .
. # # #   1 2 2 1

. . # #   . . 1 1
. . . #   . . . 1
. . . #   . 1 1 1
. . . .   1 2 2 1

. . . .   . . 1 1
. . . .   . . . 1
. * * .   . . . 1
. * * .   1 1 1 1[/spoiler]

mclem

I had to rethink my understanding of the rules for this one. My modified understanding of the rules are as follows:

A star must be in the same segment as exactly one symbol of the same colour. Early on that's always other stars, but it's changing here.

A square must not be in the same segment as any square of a different colour.

As a broader observation (I'm going to spoiler this, but I'm only really talking about thought processes)

I've noticed that quite frequently I've tended to - for want of a better term - overdefine a rule. When changes crop up later in an area, I tend to bolt on new ideas and concepts, such that the rule ends up as a form of "This, except this, or this, but not if this". It's come to my attention that if that happens, chances are the real rule is actually something far simpler, and trying to rejigger my thoughts into something that fits the bill helps a lot in the long run.

I'd also add that a simple rule would be much simpler to code! That may not be a coincidence

mf.luder

I need a hint.

There is a Tetris puzzle with
a single square in the middle, a 2-pieced at the bottom and a 4-piecer in the top right, right at the exit.

I cannot figure out how to deal with the single square in the middle.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I need a hint.

a single square in the middle, a 2-pieced at the bottom and a 4-piecer in the top right, right at the exit.

The solution may possibly make you scream, lol.

Only hint I can think of is
don't try to separate the single tetris block

mclem

I need a hint.

Someone else was stuck on this same puzzle last night, I suggested a sequence of hints that helped them.

A small hint:

There's no requirement for the tetris piece in question to overlap its symbol on the grid; all that's necessary is for the symbol to be in that segment.

A more explicit one:

You can use all three pieces to make a single shape that will cover all three of the grid symbols.

Brashnir added a third hint if those don't help:

and one third hint that should pretty much solve it for you:
try putting the 2 block in the upper right

GlamFM

Banned
I need a hint.

Edit: was thinking of a different puzzle.

BeeDog

Gah, I've managed to complete really hard puzzles, but one that should be simple is making me go crazy.

(village/windmill spoilers)

It's the puzzle on the right door next to the video/cinema room. You start at the bottom (only one starting point), and have L-shaped tetris pieces in each corner and 4 black squares in the middle. I can't figure out if the black squares count to the area where you're supposed to "construct" the tetris pieces.

I just want to get this one done with. Any help is appreciated.

Mistle

Stuck big time in the mountain,
the final puzzle in the series of 6 that all operate at once. It seems impossible! I can't make the shape on the very left fit in with the rest of the previous puzzles.
Going to bed and hopefully I'll be able to make sense of it tomorrow. No solution please, just posting here to share my grief with anyone else stuck here I guess :p

Spent the better half of 3 hours last night trying to solve a puzzle. I couldn't bring myself to walk away leaving it unsolved. Ended up going to bed without doing it. I snapped a picture of the screen before I left for work so I could occasionally take a look at it. Solved it after 3 minutes. Unbelievable feeling of excitement and frustration haha. This game rules.

Salty Hippo

I just hit a puzzle in the
treehouse
area that doesn't seem to follow the rules as I've seem them up to this point in the sequence. Is there a rule I'm missing that should be logical here, or do I need to come back after exploring some?

Rules as I know them:
*8-pointed stars must live in pairs with one another
*8-pointed stars can only live with the opposite color square blocks

Here is the puzzle in question:

k2R9zC8.png

Obviously I can't create a pair of the stars. I've tried just about everything I can think of to do with that one star and nothing makes progress.

EDIT - And of course I go back for "one more try..." and get it. I swore I had tried that solution before, but maybe there was something off about it. The next puzzle right after it would have been a way better tutorial for that twist.

Stuck on this, what is the rule?

Haemi

Activated all lasers, have done the mountain and am at 428 puzzles. I haven't done the ship and the puzzles with the broken speaker. But where are the other 100 puzzles?

Top Bottom