• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

cyba89

Activated all lasers, have done the mountain and am at 428 puzzles. I haven't done the ship and the puzzles with the broken speaker. But where are the other 100 puzzles?

Hint:
Go back to the top of the mountain
Further hint:
and try to activate the cable which heads from the box into the mountain.

shem935

Banned
The door on the
ship has me stumped. I have know of the invisible double running through and I moved it accordingly to pick up all the little hexagons but the door won't open. Does the color of the hexagon matter? Feels like I am missing part of a rule concerning them.

Auctopus

Quick question (trying to avoid spoilers): By the sounds of it, would I be wrong to assume that the game lets you explore the island post-ending? Picking up all the puzzles you missed etc.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question (trying to avoid spoilers): By the sounds of it, would I be wrong to assume that the game lets you explore the island post-ending? Picking up all the puzzles you missed etc.

Nope, the game throws you back to the beginning with 0 puzzles solved, you have to load a previous save file.

Swamp Puzzle Question:

had to brute force this puzzle was wondering if someone could explain it. I see that blues remove from and can even replace entire sections but I don't see it with this puzzle. I assume the square block means that it can only take in that shape? Is that wrong? Does that mean that just taking that block steals 4 blocks in any location? I had been trying to create a square to remove but couldn't get it. http://imgur.com/EcpLfDy

mclem

Swamp Puzzle Question:

had to brute force this puzzle was wondering if someone could explain it. I see that blues remove from and can even replace entire sections but I don't see it with this puzzle. I assume the square block means that it can only take in that shape? Is that wrong? Does that mean that just taking that block steals 4 blocks in any location? I had been trying to create a square to remove but couldn't get it. http://imgur.com/EcpLfDy

I actually wrote my understanding of this a little earlier:

I *think* the pieces are laid out like this. The numbers here correspond to the amount of 'stacks' on a given spot, with the yellow pieces being +1, the blue being -1.

Code:
[spoiler]
. . . .   . . . .
. . . .   . . . .
. . # .   . . 1 .
# # # .   1 1 1 .

. . . .   . . . .
. . . .   . . . .
. # . .   . 1 1 .
. # # #   1 2 2 1

. . # #   . . 1 1
. . . #   . . . 1
. . . #   . 1 1 1
. . . .   1 2 2 1

. . . .   . . 1 1
. . . .   . . . 1
. * * .   . . . 1
. * * .   1 1 1 1[/spoiler]

Pooya

can someone tell me how these seemingly tetris looking puzzles are supposed to work? I think I missed the tutorial if there was one :|

also that building in the middle of the desert with first panel and a hexagon, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

mclem

Stuck on this, what is the rule?

Up until now, you probably thought the rule was

A segment must contain exactly two stars

But...

There's only one star here. I'd suggest that before you look below for the rule, try experimenting with different makeups of the segment containing that star. When you're wrong, make sure to note look what flashes - if the star doesn't flash, that's an acceptable segment for it, at least.

And finally, making the rule explicit (I'd suggest experimenting the way the above paragraph suggests before reading it):

A segment containing a star must contain exactly one other symbol of the same colour

ced

There really are some of the best "Ah ha" moments in this game.

I was initially stumped with the tree puzzles, went back by them on accident and immediately figured them out.

So I got the laser in the
desert area last night and it doesn't point to the mountain, it just goes straight into the sea... is this a glitch or do I have to fix it somehow?

mclem

can someone tell me how these seemingly tetris looking puzzles are supposed to work? I think I missed the tutorial if there was one :|

The tutorial can be found in the
swamp
. If you haven't found it yet, from the windmill:
Head towards the mountain, aim to go left around it. Just after you go past the castle area you should be on a wooden bridge; the entrance to the swamp area is off to the left

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I rarely feel this much joy of discovery while playing games. It's extremely cleverly designed. Every time I figure something out feels like an achievement.

The door on the
ship has me stumped. I have know of the invisible double running through and I moved it accordingly to pick up all the little hexagons but the door won't open. Does the color of the hexagon matter? Feels like I am missing part of a rule concerning them.
You've never heard of those kinds of puzzles before?

Collecting (and listening) to all the audio logs now. Some really good stuff in there, to be honest, but I think they're less of a 'reward for moving on' and more of an extra do add to what you already think.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I somehow managed to guess the solution to the 4th
hedge maze puzzle
. Could someone please tell me how the hell I was supposed to figure it out properly?

satriales

I'm quite far in to the game but I still havent figured out the desert ruin puzzles. I brute forced the first one to see if the answer would make things clearer, but nope.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I somehow managed to guess the solution to the 4th
hedge maze puzzle
. Could someone please tell me how the hell I was supposed to figure it out properly?

The panel itself didn't match the hedge maze this time, except for one route(which is the answer).

mf.luder

Someone else was stuck on this same puzzle last night, I suggested a sequence of hints that helped them.

Brashnir added a third hint if those don't help:

Ah. I know about moving them but was just really stuck. hopefully this is my last hint. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm quite far in to the game but I still havent figured out the desert ruin puzzles. I brute forced the first one to see if the answer would make things clearer, but nope.
This is such a good one to stumble upon by accident but if you want a hint think about the theme of that area:
bright sunlight

It's the desert, the sun is the key,
you just need to find the right position for it to reveal the way

So im having trouble understanding why i got the correct solutions in these puzzles. I dont understand the rules of them really with all the different colors. I need someone to tell me what the rules here are because im clueless and kinda got through some with dumb luck.

Panels Solved: 124

8wh0xqU.jpg

0ocnP96.jpg

So im having trouble understanding why i got the correct solutions in these puzzles. I dont understand the rules of them really with all the different colors. I need someone to tell me what the rules here are because im clueless and kinda got through some with dumb luck.

you need to separate them by color, no two different colors can be in the same area, the number of dots doesn't matter, you can isolate single ones, or any number of them if they are the same color.

the rule is separating colors. are you color blind?

more spoilers:
there is colored glass around you. try looking through that

GlamFM

Banned
The final puzzle behind the gate in the forest. Am I to avoid the shadows then trace the shadow?

Solution:

Yes. The doors are opened by the two puzzle sets, the one where you trace and the one where you avoid the shadows.

Split right in the middle.

Quick question regarding + puzzles. Not looking for spoilers, just a general yes/no:
Has anyone found ALL the + puzzles yet and lit up all the black monuments?Hope it's more than just a trophy...

Also, another question regarding the number of puzzles in general.
It seems most people are finishing the game around 450 puzzles, but the estimates were around 700 puzzles, no? Are there still a ton of secrets to be found?

So is the ending clearly marked, since you can't continue the game afterwards without loading a previous save?

A more specific question:

Can I unlock the mountain and do some puzzles there, without triggering the ending

mclem

The rule is fairly simple; the second image is probably the biggest hint how it works.

Before I say the rule, here's a hint that might help you:

There's a recurring idea used in the game that I've started calling the 'segment', which is how the line you draw divides the grid into chunks. Quite a few of the rules are based around what happens in a single segment.

The left grid in the first image has four segments; small ones in the bottom-left and bottom-right, larger in the top-right, and the biggest starting in the top-left

The left grid in the second image has three segments. The right grid has four; two small ones at the bottom again, one straight one of three squares, and a big C-shaped one.

That knowledge may help you. If not, this is the rule explicitly:

A square symbol may not share a segment with another square symbol of a different colour. The C-shaped one is fine, because that includes two purple squares and only two purple squares, but if you were to include a different-coloured one as well, the segment would be invalid

Acccent

I need some help with an optional thing please! (As in, not a grid puzzle)

In the windmill:
Actually on, the blades of the windmill – there are three visible lines. I managed to complete one by having the blades turn, start at the center, go off the blade and onto an edge of the windmill, wait there for the next blade and 'hop' onto it.

The problem is, I'm trying to use the same method for the other two lines, but once I'm on the second blade I manage to jump back to the windmill, so I can never make it to the third or fourth blade... Am I missing something? Is this the wrong way to do it, or should I just persevere and/or find a better angle?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just hit a puzzle in the
treehouse
area that doesn't seem to follow the rules as I've seem them up to this point in the sequence. Is there a rule I'm missing that should be logical here, or do I need to come back after exploring some?

Rules as I know them:
*8-pointed stars must live in pairs with one another
*8-pointed stars can only live with the opposite color square blocks

Here is the puzzle in question:

k2R9zC8.png

Below is the rule as I know it now
Obviously I can't create a pair of the stars. I've tried just about everything I can think of to do with that one star and nothing makes progress.

EDIT - And of course I go back for "one more try..." and get it. I swore I had tried that solution before, but maybe there was something off about it. The next puzzle right after it would have been a way better tutorial for that twist.

Stuck on this, what is the rule?
I got stuck on this too. I personally think they should have introduced it in a simpler puzzle. It's odd that this is thrown in like its not a new concept. You can solve everything up to this puzzle with a different ruleset. Ended up looking it up and now I have adjusted the rule in my head and breezed few the next ones.

This is the first time I felt extremely frustrated. Could have been introduced earlier in the puzzle set. However, I looked back and did not find it in the simpler puzzles. I'm sort of mad at myself for caving and having to find a solution. I felt helpless after probably 2 hours on the puzzle.

Below is the rule as I know it now.

The rule is actually that a star needs to be either with another star or block of the same color. So you can group that black star with one black block.

GlamFM

Banned

In the windmill:
Actually on, the blades of the windmill – there are three visible lines. I managed to complete one by having the blades turn, start at the center, go off the blade and onto an edge of the windmill, wait there for the next blade and 'hop' onto it.

The problem is, I'm trying to use the same method for the other two lines, but once I'm on the second blade I manage to jump back to the windmill, so I can never make it to the third or fourth blade... Am I missing something? Is this the wrong way to do it, or should I just persevere and/or find a better angle?

I used a different angle and jumped off on the right.

BeeDog

In the windmill:

I'm also having this issue.
I'm trying to jump onto the windmill blade with the broken end, but the cursor won't let me as I am dragged away from the left edge of the mill.

mclem

In the windmill:

I think this is the correct answer to the question you're asking (There have been a few varied questions about this one!)

Remember that the line cannot double-back on itself; when you cross your previous path (by returning to the line on the body) that's the line doubling-back and so it gets cut off and returns you to beforehand.

Acccent

I think this is the correct answer to the question you're asking (There have been a few varied questions about this one!)

Remember that the line cannot double-back on itself; when you cross your previous path (by returning to the line on the body) that's the line doubling-back and so it gets cut off and returns you to beforehand.

Oh, that makes sense. I'll try again.
(I should have known that there was a logical reason why I couldn't do it.)

Thanks!

BeeDog

Gah, I've managed to complete really hard puzzles, but one that should be simple is making me go crazy.

(village/windmill spoilers)

It's the puzzle on the right door next to the video/cinema room. You start at the bottom (only one starting point), and have L-shaped tetris pieces in each corner and 4 black squares in the middle. I can't figure out if the black squares count to the area where you're supposed to "construct" the tetris pieces.

I just want to get this one done with. Any help is appreciated.

Alright, uploaded a pic of this puzzle:

Any help is truly appreciated, thanks.

mclem

I got stuck on this too. I personally think they should have introduced it into a simpler puzzle. It's odd that this is thrown in like its not a new concept. You can solve everything up to this puzzle with a different ruleset. Ended up looking it up and now I have adjusted the rule in my head and breezed few the next ones.

This is the first time I feel extremely frustrated. Could have been introduced earlier in the puzzle set.

Below is the rule as I know it now.

The rule is actually that a star needs to be either with another star or block of the same color. So you can group that black star with one black block.

I think it's fair enough. You may not be able to solve it immediately on sight, but seeing the panel immediately tells you
"A previous assumption you made was incorrect"
, and the panel is designed in such a way that lends itself to experimentation.

General interface commentary as well:

I also find it helpful that when you're incorrect, the UI flashes the symbols that don't have their rules satisfied, meaning that you don't need to distract yourself immediately with trying to solve the panel; your first challenge can simply be "Find something that makes the star not flash".

I would argue that the tools are there, you just need to be able to use them.

Edit: Oh, and I should add:

I got stuck on this too. I personally think they should have introduced it into a simpler puzzle. It's odd that this is thrown in like its not a new concept. You can solve everything up to this puzzle with a different ruleset.

I liked this. A lot. I was going through grids fairly rapidly by then, so to get that sudden abrupt change of pace to unexpectedly pop up with no warning knocked me off my rhythm in a way I appreciated.

Top Bottom