• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So is the ending clearly marked, since you can't continue the game afterwards without loading a previous save?

A more specific question:

Can I unlock the mountain and do some puzzles there, without triggering the ending

The game will autosave immediately before showing you the end. Afterwards you can reload your old save and do whatever you want and lose no progress.

mclem

It's the puzzle on the right door next to the video/cinema room. You start at the bottom (only one starting point), and have L-shaped tetris pieces in each corner and 4 black squares in the middle. I can't figure out if the black squares count to the area where you're supposed to "construct" the tetris pieces.
Alright, uploaded a pic of this puzzle:

Any help is truly appreciated, thanks.

To answer the bolded question you asked:

Non-Tetris symbols do count towards the Tetris areas

A further hint:

The layout of the puzzle leads you towards an assumption that is not correct

A further hint:

None of the tetris pieces overlap their actual marker

A further hint:

All four black squares appear in the same segment

A further hint:

All four Tetris pieces appear in the same segment

And the last hint:

All four black squares *and* all four Tetris pieces appear in the same segment

Hopefully there's enough there to get you through it, but that last hint is pretty explicit; experiment before moving on to each new hint.

the rule is separating colors. are you color blind?

more spoilers:
there is colored glass around you. try looking through that

See back in the beginning of the game, i just thought the rule was make sure a line goes through between Black and White Squares, and thats why im confused now, but this helps alot lol.

BeeDog

To answer the actual direct question you asked:

The black squares do count towards the areas

Thanks! Read your comment and solved it on the first try, haha.

Spoiler:
Exit the start "gate", make a small loop and then aim to include the tetris blocks. The shape of the line you draw will essentially be a H with the - in the letter be the black squares.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need some help for after the mountain.
well more specifically *inside* the mountain

Have a series of panels where
the elements keep layering on and you need one line to solve all of them

I'd mainly like someone to tell me if I have the Tetris pieces in the right place. I've drawn out what I think are all the combinations (including variants where the line can go around in different directions), and I think I've eliminated all but one layout (which has two ways to draw it).

Here is my sketch. http://i.imgur.com/qc0Ia0z.jpg

The column with the check mark is the one I think is the only possible layout because
otherwise the green and pink stars can't be properly connected
. Am I right?

If so, I can't figure out the fifth oanel in the sequence where it
changes the layout of the black and white dots - I can't separate the black dot without blocking off the stars

Edit: GlamFM - image spoilers don't work on mobile - it just shows the picture straight away. Could you put that as a URL instead?

Kaisos

There's a... + puzzle, I think they're called, near the
quarry. the one attached to the blue pipe under the bridge.
I can trace it, but I can't actually get it to activate for the life of me. Am I doing something wrong?

I feel like this game would be a lot easier to play if I wrote stuff down as I went. Like, where to find out-of-the-way puzzles that require mechanics that I haven't learned yet.

The column with the check mark is the one I think is the only possible layout because
otherwise the green and pink stars can't be properly connected
. Am I right?

If so, I can't figure out the fifth oanel in the sequence where it
changes the layout of the black and white dots - I can't separate the black dot without blocking off the stars

You are sort of right.
There are a few possible layouts that leave the green and pink stars connected.

But you have enough room to separate the black dot while adhering to those layouts.

I can trace it, but I can't actually get it to activate for the life of me. Am I doing something wrong?

You might be missing the
reflection of the pipe in the water

mclem

I haven't done that one specifically, but I strongly suspect that this is a situation where
the path you're observing is incomplete, and you need to find a way to extend it.

Since that response is guesswork, it might be entirely wrong!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think it's fair enough. You may not be able to solve it immediately on sight, but seeing the panel immediately tells you
"A previous assumption you made was incorrect"
, and the panel is designed in such a way that lends itself to experimentation.

General interface commentary as well:

I also find it helpful that when you're incorrect, the UI flashes the symbols that don't have their rules satisfied, meaning that you don't need to distract yourself immediately with trying to solve the panel; your first challenge can simply be "Find something that makes the star not flash".

I would argue that the tools are there, you just need to be able to use them.

Edit: Oh, and I should add:

I liked this. A lot. I was going through grids fairly rapidly by then, so to get that sudden abrupt change of pace to unexpectedly pop up with no warning knocked me off my rhythm in a way I appreciated.
It must be something about the way that puzzle is laid out. I had no problem adjusting rulesets for other pieces. I spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at the failure states too. Brain must have failed me. Spent 2 hours on it...

Remember that it's the stars that need to be paired, not the squares. Squares just need to be separated from other colors.

Huh. Guess I was interpreting the mechanics wrong.

I thought these were different than the regular squares and all of a single color needed to be together. I wonder what went wrong in my earlier testing then...

mclem

I feel like this game would be a lot easier to play if I wrote stuff down as I went. Like, where to find out-of-the-way puzzles that require mechanics that I haven't learned yet.

Yeah, I think a notepad is essential. When the initial rush is past, I suspect I'll share my scribblings.

12BoM

Straight up solution - if you want it:

YO2hZS4.png

Thank u for tagging

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You are sort of right.
There are a few possible layouts that leave the green and pink stars connected.

But you have enough room to separate the black dot while adhering to those layouts.

Thanks. I was having a complete brain freeze and trying to also separate the green and pink, when I didn't need to.

Edit: oh sod off.
after all my careful drawing they've changed the bloody Tetris pieces for the last puzzle

Edit 2: OK double sod off.
when you introduced more white and black spots, you replaced old ones. Now you add a Farris shape but the precious one still counts?

BeeDog

Another puzzle I've been stuck at for ages, keep coming back but can't seem to figure it out (near the temple):

http://i.imgur.com/LgFc93m.jpg

I understand you have to align the roots (from the cliff where I'm standing), hit the dot in the middle and separate the colored squares, but doesn't seem any permutation I've tried so far works.

Any help there is appreciated, thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Another puzzle I've been stuck at for ages, keep coming back but can't seem to figure it out (near the temple):

I understand you have to align the roots (from the cliff where I'm standing), hit the dot in the middle and separate the colored squares, but doesn't seem any permutation I've tried so far works.

there are several potential roots you can use - experiment with different ones.

Yogg

You can see this puzzle from another spot not far from here.

Edit 2: OK double sod off.
when you introduced more white and black spots, you replaced old ones. Now you add a Farris shape but the precious one still counts?

Nothing has been replaced - all six panels are in effect as soon as they're turned on, and remain in effect.

It helps to step back so you can see all of them at once as you draw.

JerkShep

Have you solved the one just a couple steps away from that one by any chance? I'm stuck on that one

As for your own, I'll keep it vague and say
try to play with perspective a bit

mclem

Tried asking yesterday but I probably mixed the areas up, it's a puzzle between the Jungle and the Monastery, here's an image

I hate to leave it unsolved lol. Any hint?

Clues:

You use the same principle to solve it as you do for the puzzles in the monastery. If you haven't done those, leave it for now

A slightly clearer clue:

Back away a bit

Slightly more of a clue:

You'll get half the answer before you get the whole thing

That ought to be enough.

BeeDog

Have you solved the one just a couple steps away from that one by any chance? I'm stuck on that one

Yep, I solved that one (the door that leads back to the temple).

Hint:
Don't use trees/roots to find the shape, use something harder.
Let me know if it's too vague.

Thanks guys, will keep playing around I guess with the perspective.

mclem

First clue:
Your solution is much the same.

Second:
The key vantage point for you is a little further away than you might imagine

Third:
Make sure you're fully aware of the surrounding area

Fourth:
Stand in front of the gate. Turn around. Look up. Now figure out how to get there

(And that's just getting you started)

Edit: Got confused about the two different doors. This one was pitched at Beedog, but it looks like I was reading Beedog's query with JerkShep's picture (and vice-versa; so I thought JerkShep was asking for the one a couple of steps away from his own picture!) - hence wasn't aware that Beedog had basically done those steps.

Neoweee

So when will we have a full spoiler thread, or at least one more devoted to post-game discussion?

I beat it, but there's like a dozen puzzles that I think are crap. This is not the place to gripe though.

JerkShep

Yep, I solved that one (the door that leads back to the temple).

Hint:
Don't use trees/roots to find the shape, use something harder.
Let me know if it's too vague.

Thanks guys, will keep playing around I guess with the perspective.

Great hint, I managed to complete it. Thanks!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Playing this on the ps4 has been pretty fun but I really wish this has the layton thing of being able to scribble on the screen however you want instead of having to always start at the maze start to draw lines.

It's a lot easier to solve when instead of drawing a path, you draw the pieces of the path that you know have to exist first and then fill in the rest.

I've also decided I despise the plus puzzles. The ones that add the +x part of your save file.
They are way too finicky and pixel perfect and I've seen a number that I didn't solve not because I couldn't find the right 'area' to stand but because I couldn't find the right pixel to stand on. There was one where the best place to stand had geometry that was blocking me from where I needed to be the character refusing to take a step up onto a 1ft obstacle was infuriating.

Perhaps the nature of those puzzles change at some point but right now they are the worst and not fun to solve at all.

Overall though I've been enjoying it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Playing this on the ps4 has been pretty fun but I really wish this has the layton thing of being able to scribble on the screen however you want instead of having to always start at the maze start to draw lines.

It's a lot easier to solve when instead of drawing a path, you draw the pieces of the path that you know have to exist first and then fill in the rest.

I've also decided I despise the plus puzzles. The ones that add the +x part of your save file.
They are way too finicky and pixel perfect and I've seen a number that I didn't solve not because I couldn't find the right 'area' to stand but because I couldn't find the right pixel to stand on. There was one where the best place to stand had geometry that was blocking me from where I needed to be the character refusing to take a step up onto a 1ft obstacle was infuriating.

Perhaps the nature of those puzzles change at some point but right now they are the worst and not fun to solve at all.

Overall though I've been enjoying it

I think what you find frustrating is designed like that.
if you can't get up that obstacle then there is a reason. I spent ages trying to adjust my view to get around a plank just poking a tiny bit over one of the panel edges. Turns out I was absolutely meant to be like that.

Gurrry

I cant figure out these tetris puzzles and i dont want to look up a solution but damn this is taking forever.

The one i have an issue with is
the 2nd puzzle on the door unlocking fhe short cut, and the first one on the row of puzzles near it. It has a long horizontal straight peice and 2 vertical straight pieces under neath it. I dont understand this at all

Neoweee

I cant figure out these tetris puzzles and i dont want to look up a solution but damn this is taking forever.

the 2nd puzzle on the door unlocking fhe short cut, and the first one on the row of puzzles near it. It has a long horizontal straight peice and 2 vertical straight pieces under neath it. I dont understand this at all

There is one rule that is super poorly taught.

Think of it this way:

It's impossible for the horizontal piece to be in the row where you see it, because it would overlap the vertical pieces.

Where does the horizontal piece have to go?

Afrodium

Banned
Is this going to end up like Fez where you can go through the entire game solving the puzzles and ''beating' only to find out (or not) that there's a whole other meta game that's been there the entire time?

Neoweee

Hmmm.. Ok so its not just me then. Mind maybe throwing a hint?

The rule...
the "virtual" chunk does not need to overlap the icon. It just needs to be in the same outlined section. The Commutative Property of Tetris Blocks.

After getting frustrated with some of the tetris puzzles I finally decided to cut the pieces out and it made it so much easier.

Easy enough to just do dots on a piece of paper.
Big dot = icon, little dot = virtual coverage.

Gurrry

Think of it this way:

It's impossible for the horizontal piece to be in the row where you see it, because it would overlap the vertical pieces.

Where does the horizontal piece have to go?

I guess im not understanding at all because i dont see how i can move it without not outlining it within the shape.

I guess im not understanding at all because i dont see how i can move it without not outlining it within the shape.

Use a vertical piece to cover the horizontal piece's square, and use the horizontal piece to cover both vertical pieces' squares.

Then there's only one place the other vertical piece can go.

Top Bottom