• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Gurrry

Use a vertical piece to cover the horizontal piece's square, and use the horizontal piece to cover both vertical pieces' squares.

Then there's only one place the other vertical piece can go.

Wow well i solved it. I dont think i wouldve ever figured that out. Wowowowow. I didnt understand the rules. I must have skipped a section where they teach this or i didnt glean enough info from the previous puzzles.

So what i take away from this is that
it doesnt matter where the blocks go as long as theyre all encapsulated within your outline, youre free to arrange them as you like (without flipping or turning them ofcourse).

RedColumn

366 + 17 and
10 laser... missing the tower from the town

This game is so addictive! Now I am
inside the montain, just the first level, where I did the puzzles on a room with a chair and the two puzzles that are trapped on that column of TVs. I havent done the lines of puzzles on each side of the room...
.... without spoiling me...am I far from finish the game?
I guess so, but I look down and I see many floors and many black cables.... Im scared!!! XD

Is possible to finish the game without:
whatever is under de windmill, the tower with later on the town and the boat?
. I havent finish those, they seem too hard :|

I also have open:
the door on the beach behind the destroy temple, the last green pannel from the tree house, and the one that looks really simple but I got stack on the third... the one on the begining, where you have to do the simetrical siluetes from the stones on the water
... are any of those simple? I think my brain is collasep hahaha.

I havent found any more puzzles yet.... and Im terrible with the + puzzles, do we know how many are more or less?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think what you find frustrating is designed like that.
if you can't get up that obstacle then there is a reason. I spent ages trying to adjust my view to get around a plank just poking a tiny bit over one of the panel edges. Turns out I was absolutely meant to be like that.
I agree that it's by design. I hate the design.

GhaleonEB

The tetris blocks have really become my arch-nemesis. They've now blocked me at four different areas I had been progressing in. I can complete all the tutorials on them and then *bam* into a brick wall. My goal for tonight is to solve the first big one in the swamp. I'm scared for my brain.

Gurrry

The tetris blocks have really become my arch-nemesis. They've now blocked me at four different areas I had been progressing in. I can complete all the tutorials on them and then *bam* into a brick wall. My goal for tonight is to solve the first big one in the swamp. I'm scared for my brain.

Same here. Pretty sure
its keeping me from finishing one that gives me a beam of light. Im like 140 puzzles in and only have one beam...

GlamFM

Banned

Build the shapes out of legos and lay the puzzles out on a table - helps immensely.

So when will we have a full spoiler thread, or at least one more devoted to post-game discussion?

I beat it, but there's like a dozen puzzles that I think are crap. This is not the place to gripe though.

I'd also like a thread for people who have completed the game. Completed it earlier and can't really discuss much in here.

Wow well i solved it. I dont think i wouldve ever figured that out. Wowowowow. I didnt understand the rules. I must have skipped a section where they teach this or i didnt glean enough info from the previous puzzles.

So what i take away from this is that
it doesnt matter where the blocks go as long as theyre all encapsulated within your outline, youre free to arrange them as you like (without flipping or turning them ofcourse).

There was one tutorial panel before this that showed the rule, but it would probably have helped if there had been more than one.

And you have the correct rule, up to this point.

Shahadan

I saw some sort of trail of sand on a rock near my house and suddenly I'm trying to find the round starting point before remembering there is no such thing in real life.

Neoweee

Rules that are really, really poorly explained in The Witness. Area - Topic - Rule format.

1) The Swamp -
Tetris Blocks
-
virtual shapes don't have to touch the icon as long as they are in the same enclosure.

2) The Upper Right area -
Stars
-
Single stars have to be witha single square of the same color.

3) South -
Sounds
-
Fuck this shit. Turn off your cellphone, assholes.

I beat the game, but having to decipher #2 during the endgame sequence while suffering a seizure wasn't fun.

Neoweee

Did you find the
single black star
puzzle people were talking about earlier in the thread? That one pretty much forces you to figure out #2.

I don't think I did. Well, there was one that I am thinking of that my brain farted on that I skipped, and so I never really "got" the rule until the endgame version.

Rules that are really, really poorly explained in The Witness. Area - Topic - Rule format.

1) The Swamp -
Tetris Blocks
-
virtual shapes don't have to touch the icon as long as they are in the same enclosure.

I very, very strongly disagree that this wasn't sufficiently articulated. It becomes clear the moment you need to understand the parameters to solve a puzzle that you can't solve based on the incorrect assumption you cited. Of all the walls people are running into, this was probably the least troublesome for me.
Manipulating the same rule for the subtraction blocks was much more difficult IMO.

BadHand

Can somebody explain for me (Swamp spoilers)
How the hollow blue square things work?

I totally get the basic Tetris shapes, and get that the hollow blue squares subtract a yellow square... what I don't get is how to determine what yellow square it subtracts? Does the logic apply to ANY yellow piece, or a specific piece? Does the blue square have to sit inside/outside the line for it to subtract?

Many thanks,

RedColumn

I made those icons so we can use it to refer to one part of the game, but Im not sure if is consider spoiler (I guess not, because those appear really in the begining....

I just publish then only the three first, and the famous tetris one, which it cant be consider spoiler:

3Ygae3G.gif
JcZSYf6.gif
hTOgvxI.gif
qZ9S42I.gif

Here is the rest for your use:
http://imgur.com/a/JkDYc

What does the +1 even mean? I've completed 200+ puzzles and 4/5 lasers and I have no idea lol.

Without spoilers you will absolutely know when you get one, if somehow you have one and don't know and want spoilers
Go back to the very start of the game the first room you come out of and stare at it for a bit should become obvious what they are

Neoweee

I very, very strongly disagree that this wasn't sufficiently articulated. It becomes clear the moment you need to understand the parameters to solve a puzzle that you can't solve based on the incorrect assumption you cited. Of all the walls people are running into, this was probably the last troublesome for me.
Manipulating the same rule for the subtraction blocks was much more difficult IMO.

Tons and tons of people are getting stuck on it. From the intro series, I was able to complete puzzles without "getting" that specific rule, and I only got it when doing other puzzles. It is a very, very important rule that can be misconstrued from the training panels.

It is, by far, the most cited "Uh, did I miss something?" in this thread.

I beat the game without help or a guide, but there were definitely a few sticking points, at the first few puzzles like that were definitely some of the "I feel untrained"-moments in the game.

Can somebody explain for me (Swamp spoilers)
How the hollow blue square things work?

I totally get the basic Tetris shapes, and get that the hollow blue squares subtract a yellow square... what I don't get is how to determine what yellow square it subtracts? Does the logic apply to ANY yellow piece, or a specific piece? Does the blue square have to sit inside/outside the line for it to subtract?

It subtracts from any yellow square within the same outline. So you decide which yellow square it subtracts depending on how you draw the line.

Navy Bean

go back
where you started the game. Maybe you'll see.

Without spoilers you will absolutely know when you get one, if somehow you have one and don't know and want spoilers
Go back to the very start of the game the first room you come out of and stare at it for a bit should become obvious what they are

Have you looked around on the mountaintop? There's a panel up there that resembles something....

Thanks...I think. I am like +3 or +4. Maybe I'll check the start again if I'm in the area...

BadHand

It subtracts from any yellow square within the same outline. So you decide which yellow square it subtracts depending on how you draw the line.

OK Thanks for the explanation, that's what I thought but finding it very tricky to visualize. Better break out the graph paper.

Shahadan

It is a very, very important rule that can be misconstrued from the training panels.

That's obviously the point. It seemingly teaches you a rule that will not work at some point and you have to reassess. Or did people miss the audilogs that can't shut up with their quote about the necessity in life to doubt what you think to know.

dan2026

Thia puzzle is confusing me.

I know I have to keep the blacks and whites separate and draw the tetris pieces.
But it doesnt seem to work somehow.

somehow the image has turned round. but you get the idea

cyba89

502 panels+60 solved.
So going by a number posted earlier I have about 18 panels left unsolved. I know about the two puzzles in the colored room in the town and a few puzzles in the cave. Will count all the remaining I found so I know how many I still have to search for.
Then the hunt for the remaining +1s begins.

Tons and tons of people are getting stuck on it. From the intro series, I was able to complete puzzles without "getting" that specific rule, and I only got it when doing other puzzles. It is a very, very important rule that can be misconstrued from the training panels.

It is, by far, the most cited "Uh, did I miss something?" in this thread.

I beat the game without help or a guide, but there were definitely a few sticking points, at the first few puzzles like that were definitely some of the "I feel untrained"-moments in the game.

That's obviously the point. It seemingly teaches you a rule that will not work at some point and you have to reassess. Or did people miss the audilogs that can't shut up with their quote about the necessity in life to doubt what you think to know.

This game is constantly asking you to reassess the way you think things work, so I guess maybe I was just in the right mindset? I had to do more mental gymnastics to figure out
the rule twist involving the white and black panels
than I did to figure out
that a tetris piece that couldn't possibly fit based on my initial understanding of the tetris rules would have to be placed somewhere else

mitheor

What the ... 30 minutes into the game; 2 colour puzzle ... help me! :$

How am i supposed to solve the middle one?

I can´t get (i think) the dots near the circles (bottom-left circle is blue and top-right is yellow) but i only have two ways to start and both are failing.

What am i missing?

Related pic:

]http://i.imgur.com/nH8rxgF.jpg

I know I have to keep the blacks and whites separate and draw the tetris pieces.
But it doesnt seem to work somehow.

somehow the image has turned round. but you get the idea

On the bottom you must use the tetris pieces to isolate the black square.

Neoweee

I strongly suggest people don't look for help unless they are stuck in the endgame. It is an open-world game, and other sections of the world may be better at filling in your shortcomings than the section you are currently struggling on. Some of the most confusing parts became trivial after doing other sections, even if that other section was't centered on the core lesson that I needed to internalize.

You're missing out on irreplaceable satisfaction over short-term frustration and an unwillingness to make use of one of the game's greatest strengths-- its non-linearity in completion and learning.

BeeDog

Another puzzle I've been stuck at for ages, keep coming back but can't seem to figure it out (near the temple):

http://i.imgur.com/LgFc93m.jpg

I understand you have to align the roots (from the cliff where I'm standing), hit the dot in the middle and separate the colored squares, but doesn't seem any permutation I've tried so far works.

Any help there is appreciated, thanks!

Alright, I'm broken. Many thanks guys for trying to help me out, but I can't for the life of me find the
correct root combination
to actively solve this. This kind of pixel-hunting sucks all the fun out of the game :( so thus I'm requesting a full-on solution.

Doubly thanks in advance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I might age to get the Lego out for the
giant panel on the floor inside the mountain
. Once you are into the end game (if I'm using that terminology correctly), they really ramp things up.

Top Bottom