• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Neoweee

I might age to get the Lego out for the
giant panel on the floor inside the mountain
. Once you are into the end game (if I'm using that terminology correctly), they really ramp things up.

That is one my favorite puzzles ever. Absolutely wonderful, and that type of puzzles comes at the perfect moment in the game.

. Once you are into the end game (if I'm using that terminology correctly), they really ramp things up.

I drew diagrams for a good half hour, for that one. Some
number-crunching
also helped.

Alright, I'm broken. Many thanks guys for trying to help me out, but I can't for the life of me find the
correct root combination
to actively solve this. This kind of pixel-hunting sucks all the fun out of the game :( so thus I'm requesting a full-on solution.

Doubly thanks in advance.

It's the
roots on the right side of the middle tree.
I can't post the solution right now because I'm at work, but that should get you on track.

Stampy

The desert temple can these puzzles be solved by themselves or they require some other knowledge beside the surounding around the temple?

Ugh, I'm unbelievably annoyed at myself for spending 2+ hours on that just to find it in the most obvious spot, but now I have all of the +.
And all of the ++
. Oh, and somehow I've hit 522. No idea when that happened >_>. Either way, I guess that's it.

Although, supposedly I'm missing...
about 18 audio tapes...which sounds like a lot. At least I'll know where to look for those, too.

BeeDog

It's the
roots on the right side of the middle tree.
I can't post the solution right now because I'm at work, but that should get you on track.

Thanks,
that's the fucker I've been trying to use for the last 20 minutes. It feels right but I still can't for the life of me line it up. :(
I guess I'm completely mentally impaired; a full-blown solution would still be appreciated.

EDIT: nevermind, FINALLY solved it, thanks again!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is one my favorite puzzles ever. Absolutely wonderful, and that type of puzzles comes at the perfect moment in the game.

I drew diagrams for a good half hour, for that one. Some
number-crunching
also helped.

Oh god, I just noticed that the
smaller puzzles are 4x4
, but the
large one is 5x5. So I don't even know where they line up yet

Thought it might be semi straightforward. Should have known better ;)

I could do with some overhead transparency film to draw on :)

I spent an embarrassingly long time on that one, filling up half a sheet of paper with tiny doodles. I got really excited when I finally figured it out, but then it turned out
that solution was impossible, thanks to science :(

How do you get + puzzle near the village that is
on the side of the building (ie its the window arrangement) as you look from the pier? It gets stuck trying to complete it. I tried completing while on the boat traveling toward symmetry and that allowed me to get one notch from the end, but no dice

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got a vita last night. Has anyone tried this with remote play? Does it work well?

I'm doing it right now. It works well when the family insists on having the TV back, but for wandering around outside I prefer the big TV for the sense of scale.

Also I've been taking photos of the TV quite a lot (and then doodling on them), and that is a little trickier on vita

Mindlog

Mission Accomplished!
Stats:
438 +40

Question about the end game: (massive spoiler - avoid if you haven't beaten the game)
So I beat the game and it started me on a new one. I was messing around in the garden and found the credits. Does that +1 count to my overall score? How do I add that to my current game instead of starting a new one?

Second massive spoiler post complete game
I had all the lasers activated and discovered how to power the box. I completed all of those stupid panels I came across, but never bothered actually learning the rules... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. I am going to have to chase them all down again aren't I?
How do you
get + puzzle near the village that is on the side of the building (ie its the window arrangement) as you look from the pier? It gets stuck trying to complete it. I tried completing while on the boat traveling toward symmetry and that allowed me to get one notch from the end, but no dice
It definitely requires the boat. Remember the whole thing doesn't have to connect at once.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
on the side of the building as you look from the pier? It gets stuck trying to complete it. I tried completing while on the boat traveling toward symmetry and that allowed me to get one notch from the end, but no dice

black
or
red
?

If
red, then it's blocked because the entire line needs to be red.

Specifically
you need to open the door of the crate inside that building

Croc

Banned
on the side of the building (ie its the window arrangement) as you look from the pier? It gets stuck trying to complete it. I tried completing while on the boat traveling toward symmetry and that allowed me to get one notch from the end, but no dice
I want to know this also.

I even
competed the puzzle on the shipping crate inside to open the doors and I still couldn't complete it.

Edit: okay, apparently that's right but I still couldn't get it. Hmm.

jett

D-Member
You mean this one, right? Because omg, it's the worst.

Just laughed out loud.
Looking at it right now and I just realized how turn it. It's so obvious. Thanks for posting that picture.

The solution isn't that obvious, but I should have known how to turn it as soon as I figured it out.

I really can't believe I didn't figure it out. It's the same exact answer lol!
Wow.

I'm going to leave the area I was in and go back to that immediately when I get back in game.
smdh.

Seriously, how did I not see that. It's plain as day.

Oh rly. Please gives us a hint cuz I'm at my wit's end.

black
or
red
?

If

Specifically

Ahh makes sense. I thought i just
wasn't standing in the right spot.

You're on the right track.

Keep going.

black
or
red
?

If

Specifically

Ohhhh...
I had already opened the orange crate before I tried that.

Strange I found that one one of the easier ones:

Hint:
whether you point it left right or up there will always be 2 stars in the notch of the pattern. Draw that part out and work backwards

InfernoNR

I want to give as much of my money to the developer possible when purchasing this game. Do I buy it from their website directly to do this?

georly

I'm doing it right now. It works well when the family insists on having the TV back, but for wandering around outside I prefer the big TV for the sense of scale.

Also I've been taking photos of the TV quite a lot (and then doodling on them), and that is a little trickier on vita

It works well. Obviously the resolution drop makes it hard to spot some things but I definitely got a load of puzzles completed while using it.

Alright cool. I play handhelds in bed right before sleep and i'm thinking this would be a good 'play before bed' game (except the really hard ones obviously).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Started off with paper and pencil

Then started taking photos of the screen and drawing on them on my iPad (check out You Doodle, it's great for that)

Now I'm using an animation app to give me multiple transparent layers so I can compare solutions

If only I had a whiteboard and some red string

skynidas

Banned
rIcXPEF.png
That last trophy was crazy

Neoweee

Started off with paper and pencil

Then started taking photos of the screen and drawing on them on my iPad (check out You Doodle, it's great for that)

Now I'm using an animation app to give me multiple transparent layers so I can compare solutions

If only I had a whiteboard and some red string

Hahahaha

I completed one entire face of a black pillar last night and I
expected something really cool to happen but nope. Guess you gotta do the whole thing. Curious to see what happens

Mindlog

How big of a hint do you want?
Really vague and obvious:
Three pairs of two.
Consider how hard it would be just to do that then consider what options you have to make it possible.
Another obvious clue, but it's just confirming a lack of deceit on the game's part:
Yes, you can solves it in every direction the game suggests. Three nubs means three directions.

Possibly too direct, but still obvious:
Look at the shape. It's telling you what to do.

Basically giving it away. Only click this hint as a last resort. It's too over the top:
Each pair points in the direction the bridge will take.

cyba89

Mission Accomplished!
Stats:
438 +40

Question about the end game: (massive spoiler - avoid if you haven't beaten the game)
So I beat the game and it started me on a new one. I was messing around in the garden and found the credits. Does that +1 count to my overall score? How do I add that to my current game instead of starting a new one?

There is a way to reactivate that door in your finished game but that is only possible for you later. First you should do the secret area.
That last trophy was crazy

Congrats! Yes that last one was fun.

louiedog

I want to give as much of my money to the developer possible when purchasing this game. Do I buy it from their website directly to do this?

Yes, the Humble Widget on their page takes the smallest cut as far as I know.

Just be aware that it's DRM free OR Steam, not both. Choose wisely.

So I finished the treehouse yesterday including every puzzle. The ruleset for these stars is whack. Can someone tell me if I'm missing a rule or not understanding something?

1. Valid - exactly Two stars of the same color, NO squares of the same color.
2. Valid - exactly Two stars of the same color, ANY number of squares of a different color
3. Valid - exactly 1 star and 1 square of the same color
4. Valid - different colored stars, as long as for every color present there are exactly 2.
5. Invalid - More than 2 stars of the same color no matter what else is going on.
5. Invalid - 1 star of a particular color with nothing else of that color

Is there some unifying theme here? This ruleset works but it just seems kind of arbitrary and like there's no underlying concept . I feel like there's supposed to be a one or two sentence rule explaining this

jett

D-Member
Strange I found that one one of the easier ones:

Hint:
whether you point it left right or up there will always be 2 stars in the notch of the pattern. Draw that part out and work backwards

The bounding line for the shape only touches 1 side of the puzzle panel.

How big of a hint do you want?
Really vague and obvious:
Three pairs of two.
Consider how hard it would be just to do that then consider what options you have to make it possible.
Another obvious clue, but it's just confirming a lack of deceit on the game's part:
Yes, you can solves it in every direction the game suggests. Three nubs means three directions.

Possibly too direct, but still obvious:
Look at the shape. It's telling you what to do.

Basically giving it away. Only click this hint as a last resort. It's too over the top:
Each pair points in the direction the bridge will take.

Everything you told me was stuff I already knew. I guess my brain wasn't cooperative. I swear I tried every possible position for that thing. Oh well, I had to cheat this once and look at the answer. Fuck tetris blocks, man.

I'm a little over 200 solved panels as of last night. There are a few puzzles I've spent probably close to an hour on, to no avail. A couple of them, I'm pretty sure I can't solve yet, but I feel like there are at least two that I should be able to solve with what I know. I'm completely stumped.

I'm going to try and do everything I can do in the game first, before asking for help. I'm hoping I'll get an "Aha!" moment when coming back to those puzzles later.

Brashnir

So I finished the treehouse yesterday including every puzzle. The ruleset for these stars is whack. Can someone tell me if I'm missing a rule or not understanding something?

1. Valid - exactly Two stars of the same color, NO squares of the same color.
2. Valid - exactly Two stars of the same color, ANY number of squares of a different color
3. Valid - exactly 1 star and 1 square of the same color
4. Valid - different colored stars, as long as for every color present there are exactly 2.
5. Invalid - More than 2 stars of the same color no matter what else is going on.

Is there some unifying theme here? This ruleset works but it just seems kind of arbitrary and like there's no underlying concept . I feel like there's supposed to be a one or two sentence rule explaining this

Stars need
a Buddy of the same color. Any shape will do, but only one buddy is allowed. Any shapes of different colors are allowed.

BeeDog

Could someone give a vague hint for (village spoiler):
the broken speaker puzzles inside that soundproof room in the basemenet?

Mindlog

Thanks @cyba89. I'm going to have to go back and actually learn how that stuff works.
Could someone give a vague hint for (village spoiler):
the broken speaker puzzles inside that soundproof room in the basemenet?
There's only one broken speaker.
Everything you told me was stuff I already knew. I guess my brain wasn't cooperative. I swear I tried every possible position for that thing. Oh well, I had to cheat this once and look at the answer. Fuck tetris blocks, man.
That still stands out as one of the harder puzzles for me.

Top Bottom