• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

cyba89

One question for anyone who completed the final challenge:
What's up with these panels that you see at the ceiling on the challenge route (like the three panels in front of that final room). I watched a recording of my successful run and notice that these appear as solved the moment the door opens. But when I look at them now they are unsolved and I can't click on them. Do these count toward the puzzle count and is there a way to solve them any other way than doing the challenge?

OMG
The opening, very very starting area, if you turn back around the tunnel and line it up is a +1 puzzle- wowwwwwwwww

The best part about this is when I realized that
the game hides this right at the start by not letting you turn around until you walk out of that tunnel.

jett

D-Member
Mindlog said:
That still stands out as one of the harder puzzles for me.

Sad thing is that the I completed the rest of the puzzles in pretty much one go. My brain just didn't wan to see the solution.

So I finished the treehouse yesterday including every puzzle. The ruleset for these stars is whack. Can someone tell me if I'm missing a rule or not understanding something?

Is there some unifying theme here? This ruleset works but it just seems kind of arbitrary and like there's no underlying concept . I feel like there's supposed to be a one or two sentence rule explaining this
Someone else responded, but I've always thought of them as
bombs that need EXACTLY one of their own color to defuse them, otherwise they explode. And explosions are never good.
I also call them fuzz(ies).

Everything you told me was stuff I already knew. I guess my brain wasn't cooperative. I swear I tried every possible position for that thing. Oh well, I had to cheat this once and look at the answer. Fuck tetris blocks, man.

Yeah, same here.
I couldn't get the shape to "hover" and have it enclosed. Doubt I'd ever have solved it on my own. Thanks though for the hints, guys!

Yogg

I can't seem to grasp the correct way to predict the colors in the elevator. I never know if I should add or substract a color depending on the filter. Even writing all the combinations I've seen down, I'm lost. Any pointer on that?

Neoweee

I can't seem to grasp the correct way to predict the colors in the elevator. I never know if I should add or substract a color depending on the filter. Even writing all the combinations I've seen down, I'm lost. Any pointer on that?

My take:

Just keep doing whatever puzzle you currently "see"

Brashnir

My take:

Just keep doing whatever puzzle you currently "see"

There comes a point where that doesn't work anymore.
and you need to predict the next level

For that one, I just
divided the symbols into A/B/C/D groups based on the colors they showed on previous floors. At that point there was only a couple possible solutions and I guessed it from those

Neoweee

For that one, I just
divided the symbols into A/B/C/D groups based on the colors they showed on previous floors. At that point there was only a couple possible solutions and I guessed it from those

Ah, yeah, you are right. I got stuck on the final part, but forgot about the slight issue earlier.

*Splinter

One question for anyone who completed the final challenge:
What's up with these panels that you see at the ceiling on the challenge route (like the three panels in front of that final room). I watched a recording of my successful run and notice that these appear as solved the moment the door opens. But when I look at them now they are unsolved and I can't click on them. Do these count toward the puzzle count and is there a way to solve them any other way than doing the challenge?
If you watch it and count the dots/shapes, it's basically a clock. Don't think there is any more to it than that.

GhaleonEB

Same here. Pretty sure
its keeping me from finishing one that gives me a beam of light. Im like 140 puzzles in and only have one beam...
That's about my exact situation as well. :lol

Build the shapes out of legos and lay the puzzles out on a table - helps immensely.

I might do this. Using graph paper to solve a bunch of puzzles yesterday and today helped a great deal. (And was fun, to boot.)

The main thing is I can't figure out how I'm supposed to be moving them around, or if I am, or if they rotate, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Side note about the maze in one of the buildings in town: I had drawn it out on graph paper and thought I overcame the twist in it by
ignoring the rubble blocking the path and following the path that was not covered in grass or moss. The moment when I realized the puzzle panel was on the exit, not the entrance was ~amazing~ . *turns pad upside down, solve instantly*

Mindlog

Already had this idea much earlier, checked around for it but no luck. I wrote it off but I guess I shouldn't, thanks guys!
Last vague hint:
You already have all the information you need. Don't waste your time looking for another element.

Hard to tell when hints are too much or too little. I like this hint because it's just here to focus you and prevent unnecessary head trauma.

Big vague hint:
I solved the puzzled before even completing anything in the forest/jungle. I actually had no idea how it was really 'supposed' to work.

It occurred me to me last night that The Witness is basically what you would have gotten if Lewis Carroll was alive today and he had designed a video game instead of written Alice in Wonderland. That's how fucked up the game is (and I mean that in a good way). How else could someone think of all this madness?

*Splinter

Alright I think I need a hint for the shipwreck door :(

I know that
Its an invisible symmetry door. My line picks up one colour, the invisible line gets the other. The black dots can be picked up by either line.
Smaller dot = Higher pitch?
I think I hear "High, low", or maybe "High, Mid... Low"
I've also just realised that the red light might be throwing off the colours... but black is always black and I've been trying this both ways, so I don't think that matters?

Robiin

Can someone help me decipher the top left icon?

What does it want to tell me?
It's 8 squares filled. But diagonally, so three straight lines with two blocks, or just eight squares filled?
How am I supposed to interpret this?

Brashnir

It occurred me to me last night that The Witness is basically what you would have gotten if Lewis Carroll was alive today and he had designed a video game instead of written Alice in Wonderland. That's how fucked up the game is (and I mean that in a good way). How else could someone think of all this madness?

The game is basically The Tetris Effect made manifest.

*Splinter

I know that
Its an invisible symmetry door. My line picks up one colour, the invisible line gets the other. The black dots can be picked up by either line.
I've also just realised that the red light might be throwing off the colours... but black is always black and I've been trying this both ways, so I don't think that matters?
Also,
there are some other noises besides the drips, but if I'm expected to interpret those I might as well just google the solution.

So this is the first time I need help on something. It's inside the mountain, bottom floor, spoilers follow:

It's the puzzles wherein you can choose to highlight four separate tetris shapes in four puzzles, then the floor becomes a puzzle around them. Okay, so I highlighted four shapes that fit together in a 4x3 grid with one square on top. This is perfectly easy to make on the floor, but of course it doesn't work. I have no idea why.

Xater

So I am stuck in the saw mill but not actually at a puzzle:

How the hell do I get down again so I can get to the other side and do the puzzles there?

AgeEighty

I have a question about
the random doors I keep finding that appear to lead to caves, but all of which open from the inside. For example, there's one right at the end of the desert caves. There's another near the swamp in a dark little hidden alcove near a cave waterfall, and I can see the waterfall spilling down into an area with wooden walkways. And there's one connected near the windmill theater.

Are these the areas I access when I open the mountaintop? Or is there some other way in?

*Splinter

So this is the first time I need help on something. It's inside the mountain, bottom floor, spoilers follow:

It's the puzzles wherein you can choose to highlight four separate tetris shapes in four puzzles, then the floor becomes a puzzle around them. Okay, so I highlighted four shapes that fit together in a 4x3 grid with one square on top. This is perfectly easy to make on the floor, but of course it doesn't work. I have no idea why.
Are you sure? I don't remember the shape you described being possible?

I know that

Best advice for that is to just stop and think for a while, without concentrating too hard on the solution
yet

rje

Stumped early on in Mountain:

Things I know about the needed solution (I think?):
I know that the path needs to end at the left exit. And I know there's that little path in the trash heap in the middle that you can use to get from the back side of the heap to the left side of the heap. But I have no idea how to draw a line that meets all the requirements and ends up at the left exit.

Redo the tilted piece. It is not "tilted" anymore for the purpose of the larger puzzle.

Yogg

For that one, I just

I finally got it from some vague not 100% sure deduction. I'm still not satisfied that I don't grasp the way it works completely, plus
a puzzle in the village requires the full knowledge of that stuff

Thanks for the pointer!

Brashnir

I finally got it from some vague not 100% sure deduction. I'm still not satisfied that I don't grasp the way it works completely, plus
a puzzle in the village requires the full knowledge of that stuff

Thanks for the pointer!

That puzzle in the village (If it's the one I'm thinking of)
is actually much simpler than you may think

How? I have been trying to do that, but when I fail the puzzle or do it again it doesn't move?

Try solving the puzzle in a different way.

Mindlog

Just make sure the shape you think you are making is actually the shape you are making.
Odds... are something that can be easily changed... is off.
Stumped early on in Mountain:

I know that the path needs to end at the left exit. And I know there's that little path in the trash heap in the middle that you can use to get from the back side of the heap to the left side of the heap. But I have no idea how to draw a line that meets all the requirements and ends up at the left exit.
You already know everything you need to know. Just haven't put it together yet :]

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So I am stuck in the saw mill but not actually at a puzzle:

How the hell do I get down again so I can get to the other side and do the puzzles there?
You can reverse that panel to move the ramp back. Then reverse it again, hop on while it's moving.

Back side to the left side... Or left side to the back side?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Want to check my thought processes (late game, after mountain stuff)

Question about the
giant floor puzzle

Working it backwards,
1) the panel has
two lines starting at the bottom and so will be symmetrical. And therefore will need to have an even number of squares
- correct? So let's count the number of squares first

2) the bottom left
mini panel has to be the 3 dots in a line as the 2x2 cannot be selected without also selecting the triangle 'mistake eraser' icon

3) bottom right
panel doesn't matter which it is yet - they're both 4 dots. Either can be selected so keep options open here

4) top left
both can be selected, and both are 3 dots

5) so far, we are up to
10 dots. So the remaining Tetris piece should be an even number

6) top right
has two pieces. 3 dot L shape, and 4 dot L shape. Based on what I've done so far, that should mean the 4 dot L is the correct one. But I can't work out how to select it and eliminate the 3 dot

Am I on the right track so far? I've been juggling for ages now and nothing is clicking, so I want to double check my logic.

Mindlog

Question about the
giant floor puzzle

Working it backwards,
1) the panel has
two lines starting at the bottom and so will be symmetrical. And therefore will need to have an even number of squares

2) the bottom left
mini panel has to be the 3 dots in a line as the 2x2 cannot be selected without also selecting the triangle 'mistake eraser' icon

3) bottom right
panel doesn't matter which it is yet - they're both 4 dots. Either can be selected so keep options open here

4) top left

5) so far, we are up to

6) top right
has two pieces. 3 dot L shape, and 4 dot L shape. Based on what I've done so far, that should mean the 4 dot L is the correct one. But I can't work out how to select it and eliminate the 3 dot

Am I on the right track so far? I've been juggling for ages now and nothing is clicking, so I want to double check my logic.
You should do something before step 1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

That panel is
5x5 though?

Neoweee

Question about the
giant floor puzzle

Working it backwards,
1) the panel has

2) the bottom left

3) bottom right

4) top left

5) so far, we are up to

6) top right

It is very possible that there may be multiple solutions, but I know one of your conjectures is wrong. It is
. And I can see how being wrong about that tanks your overall strategy.

Gurrry

Screw it, i need another hint with the tetris blocks. I dont understand what the
set of blocks on top of eachother mean. I cant get the panel to give me any feed back no matter what i do

You made two mistakes:

The dimensions of the grid are odd numbers. An odd number of squares can be symmetrical.

There is no shape that can't be selected.

Screw it, i need another hint with the tetris blocks. I dont understand what the
set of blocks on top of eachother mean. I cant get the panel to give me any feed back no matter what i do

What color blocks / panels are you looking at?

louiedog

In the endgame at the
multi-panel puzzle. Oof. I thought the first four panels were easy, but this fifth one is stumping me. Going to keep at it though.

Mindlog

^^ I really liked all those puzzles.
You made two mistakes:

The dimensions of the grid are odd numbers. An odd number of squares can be symmetrical.

There is no shape that can't be selected.
(end game puzzle spoilers)
I also operated under the impression that one of the top right shapes couldn't be selected. That effected the shape I was trying to create since I was locked in on another aspect to the solution I wanted. Will go back and try to pick it out.
Early game mechanics.
You have to confine that piece to a space that only fits that shape.

I'm at 8 lasers now. Should I just go ahead and try to finish the game or keep going?

Loose ends I am aware of:
forest bird puzzles, greenhouse elevator puzzle, underground swamp puzzles, beach door, the ship door

danthefan

I need a hint please guys if you would, I've two lasers down and 100 ish puzzles done

I'm stuck on a red hexagon puzzle on the roof of a building in the ruined village type area. There's three hexagons on the panel. You can make out shadows from a tree for the top half of the solution but I'm just stuck for the bottom half. Any vague hints please?

hmm is it to do with the other noises that start happening? Because I give up if I have to interpret those
There's nothing that's uninterpretable about the puzzle. Spending a while thinking about things doesn't mean it's difficult, just don't try to apply too many 'rules' and overcomplicate things.

Top Bottom