• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The Ummah

Banned
Bought and downloading on PS4. I've been going back and forth for days now, I can't wait to jump in!

This will be a much needed change of pace from my current gaming rotation.

Atrophis

I'm playing around in mspaint as usual to help me solve it. I've gone through so many different combinations for this last panel.

I think I just need to draw up a panel with every symbol on it so I can visualise it all clearly.

Power of mspaint strikes again. Mocked up a panel with all the symbols, solved it in a couple of minutes. Wish I'd thought to do that an hour ago instead of looking at all the panels separately.

falz3333

Neo Member
Anyone figure out the puzzle in the boat?
The sound puzzle with the dripping water. It sounds like Low, High, Medium, but there are 7 dots and they're even different colors...

Yeah, this is where I'm at with it.
One idea that I haven't tested is that you have to hit some of the notes at the same time which would make them merge into one??? I wish someone who solved this one would help! :c

TheExodu5

Banned
I like the game, but here's my problem with the game. Sorry, but I'm going to keep comparing this to Myst.

What do I like about Myst? Figuring out how things work. Puzzles are solved by figuring out how they work. Figure out the concept, and you're done.

What do I like about The Witness? Figuring out how things work. Once you figure out how the different puzzles work however, you then go on to solve more and more complex puzzles using the same concept. Solving them is a very tedious exercise.

The Keep maze puzzles were really fun, as you had to figure out the rules for each one (the 3rd one was especially ingenius). The Marsh tetris puzzles on the other hand? Incredibly tedious. I'm at the point where I'd rather just YouTube the solutions instead of resorting to printing out little paper cutouts.

louiedog

Crayons? Colored Pencils? A Printer? it's easy to add colors to paper. As a last resort, you can always bleed on it.

I have none of the above. And although I can bleed, I prefer not to give away the secret that I can be killed.

Also I want several colors and I only bleed red.

Neoweee

I like the game, but here's my problem with the game. Sorry, but I'm going to keep comparing this to Myst.

What do I like about Myst? Figuring out how things work. Puzzles are solved by figuring out how they work. Figure out the concept, and you're done.

What do I like about The Witness? Figuring out how things work. Once you figure out how the different puzzles work however, you then go on to solve more and more complex puzzles using the same concept. Solving them is a very tedious exercise.

The Keep maze puzzles were really fun, as you had to figure out the rules for each one (the 3rd one was especially ingenius). The Marsh tetris puzzles on the other hand? Incredibly tedious. I'm at the point where I'd rather just YouTube the solutions instead of resorting to printing out little paper cutouts.

You don't need cutouts. The "dot" method on scratch paper works fine. Just do dots of the shapes (properly spaced) to figure out what is good. Laying out all of the valid combinations is usually pretty quick, and the few that are OK/crap will sick out like a sore thumb.

Big dot = where an icon is.
Little dot = vestigial square.

Finished the final endgame puzzles over my lunch break.

This ending
will enter the annals of the trolliest bad endings in gaming history.

Anyone figure out the puzzle in the boat?
The sound puzzle with the dripping water. It sounds like Low, High, Medium, but there are 7 dots and they're even different colors...
I had to look that one up.
The color of the dots represents different sounds and it wants you to hear 2 of them.

thefil

Quick question. I've done seven lasers and I've proceeded quite far past the top of the mountain. If I keep going, will I still be able to go back and get the hundreds of things I missed?

Quick question. I've done seven lasers and I've proceeded quite far past the top of the mountain. If I keep going, will I still be able to go back and get the hundreds of things I missed?

Yes - you will just have to reload your last save from before you finish.

Haven't done any post-endgame puzzles yet (I'm taking a break from puzzling today), but I poked around in the
underground
and found some audio logs in this first area you have access too (I assume there are more areas and more logs past these). Kind of spoilery talk about these post-endgame audio logs follow:
So the narrators are actually people, or specific characters at least? I don't know what to think now. It could still fit into my theory that the game is all in the mind of a person if you think of the narrators as aspects of their psyche ala Inside Out but I'm not so sure about that anymore. Rather, they also seem to allude to dreaming? So perhaps the game is some sort of forced lucid dream that they crafted and you're diving into, more like Inception...

Haven't done any post-endgame puzzles yet (I'm taking a break from puzzling today), but I poked around in the
underground
and found some audio logs in this first area you have access too (I assume there are more areas and more logs past these). Kind of spoilery talk about these post-endgame audio logs follow:
So the narrators are actually people, or specific characters at least? I don't know what to think now. It could still fit into my theory that the game is all in the mind of a person if you think of the narrators as aspects of their psyche ala Inside Out but I'm not so sure about that anymore. Rather, they also seem to allude to dreaming? So perhaps the game is some sort of forced lucid dream that they crafted and you're diving into, more like Inception...

You should post this kind of stuff in the story / completed spoiler thread. It's getting no love at the minute and it's really hard to post in here about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177055

Atrophis

Well...this next puzzle...I'm really struggling to see how its possible. Also I think I just fucked myself by activating something I shouldn't have.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What the hell? Those are totally
not saying but I know what they look like

Edit: oh shit and that...

Edit 2: finished. Bit confused. Right at the end it (warning literally endgame spoilers)

looks like clear Angel symbology - the elevator is glowing white, after closing the doors the next symbol is wings, and then halo. So I thought maybe you're in an episode of lost and have to earn our way out of purgatory/limbo. You just fly back to the start and get locked up. Plus the mountain (and island) is clearly an artificial construction and it looks like something went wrong (science vs faith maybe)

Finished with
426 +23
. How are there more than
100 more puzzles out there? I know of a handful (ship door and beach for instance), but not that many?

Croc

Banned
Anyone have any tips for this one?

In the treehouse area.

img

Previously I'd been grouping single stars with like colors but I can't figure out how to do that in this one without separating the green squares.

edit: I actually solved it but don't really understand why.
There was one green one off by itself but I thought they had to all be together. ANd consequently now I don't understand the next one lol

How do you get the
boat

Also, what is the best order of locations to go in?

Find a place where
a boat can be boarded

Best order depends on what you are trying to do.
Do symmetry, desert ruin, shady trees, bunker, and keep to beat as many areas as possible ASAP without outside knowledge. Do marsh, treehouse, quarry, and jungle (listed in decreasing priority) to learn knowledge you need in other areas. Monastery and town are the least essential, and town should definitely be last.

Can someone give me a hint with these stupid shadow puzzles?

Im trying to do the third one (the one after the puzzle hidden in between two stone statues... its like the one that opens one of the gate doors to the laser

I feel like the design of the puzzle is so bad. Unless Im missing something

I'm trying to use the stones to see the pattern on the shadows, but this stupid C shape looks so confusing.

You should post this kind of stuff in the story / completed spoiler thread. It's getting no love at the minute and it's really hard to post in here about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177055

Well problem with me using that thread is that I haven't actually finished EVERYTHING yet so there's still stuff I don't want to be spoiled on. I mean, I think I still have two vault doors to find along with all the
underground
stuff I have yet to do so I'm sure there's still more interesting stuff for me to find that I'd rather not be spoiled on!

Find a place where
a boat can be boarded

Best order depends on what you are trying to do.
Do symmetry, desert ruin, shady trees, bunker, and keep to beat as many areas as possible ASAP without outside knowledge. Do marsh, treehouse, quarry, and jungle (listed in decreasing priority) to learn knowledge you need in other areas. Monastery and town are the least essential, and town should definitely be last.

I found the
dock with the weird washing machine thing in it but no boat.

Also, can you explain where and what the
shady tree, and bunker look like?
Also you know if you beat an area if you get the
laser
correct? If so I beat the
symmetry area.

In the treehouse area.

img

Previously I'd been grouping single stars with like colors but I can't figure out how to do that in this one without separating the green squares.

Hint:
The green squares don't all need to be grouped together. They only need to be separated from other colours.

McFadge

Reading through some of the earlier posts in this thread regarding end game,
is there really a new-game plus?

Finished the game.
That is, cleared 7 areas and went for the ending. I'm at 342+3 panels, time wise somewhere around 10-12 hours I'd guess? From what I've seen the + count especially is quite low compared to other people.

I cleared symmetry, desert, swamp, treehouse, monastery, shady trees and quarry (in that order), basically I just did the areas I bumped into. Swamp was my favourite area and desert ruin by far my least favourite. Monastery was disappointingly short.

I'm going to check out the other areas at some point for sure, but I don't really have interest in the hidden puzzles.

In the treehouse area.

img

edit: I actually solved it but don't really understand why.
There was one green one off by itself but I thought they had to all be together. ANd consequently now I don't understand the next one lol

Squares aren't required to be with stars or anything else. Squares only require that you can't have two squares of different colors together

I found the
dock with the weird washing machine thing in it but no boat.

Also, can you explain where and what the
shady tree, and bunker look like?
Also you know if you beat an area if you get the
laser
correct?

You can't see the boat until you call it. There's something you have to interact with.

Shady trees is accessed by a door between the quarry and the logging area. The bunker is the building on the side of the mountain.

Yes, you get a laser for beating each area.

You can't see the boat until you call it. There's something you have to interact with.

Shady trees is accessed by a door between the quarry and the logging area. The bunker is the building on the side of the mountain.

Yes, you get a laser for beating each area.

Thank ya!

I interact with something
in the dock area?

Sulik2

WTF I found + puzzles last night at the temple. Unlocked like five, still am missing some on the black pillar and have no idea what paths I missed. But wow seeing that big circle and clicking on it was mind blowing.
We need that nausea patch I want to play more of this game so badly now and just can't.

Yeah I get that. Was hoping for some revelations coming back today. The problem is I'm not sure where to go exactly. I'll keep hopping around and hope something clicks. Just got to the
Greenhouse
and working on those - cool discovery there.

How do you guys know how many puzzles you've solved?

Also, the mechanic of having to go back to a previous puzzle panel if you mess up is just annoying.

It might be best to hunker down and clear out an area then. Where you are is pretty short and you'll get a sense of accomplishment.

If you go to the "Load a save" screen it shows you the number of puzzles solved.

They make you repeat previous puzzles as a way to make brute forcing a puzzle more annoying. Stop cheating Spyder! ;)

Just started and although I'm committed to working through this game naturally, I have a couple early game puzzle questions:

#1. If I come to a puzzle that looks ridiculously simple (yet I don't clear it after trying a few random methods from points A to B), does that mean it generally requires a visual cue for a particular pattern outside of the puzzle block?

#2. If 'yes', are these visual clues generally in the close vicinity?

I apologize if these are daft questions, I just want to make sure a particular puzzle solution isn't half-way across the island, especially when I'm not entirely sure what to look for at this early stage.

Just started and although I'm committed to working through this game naturally, I have a couple early game puzzle questions:

#1. If I come to a puzzle that looks ridiculously simple (yet I don't clear it after trying a few random methods from points A to B), does that mean it generally requires a visual cue for a particular pattern outside of the puzzle block?

I apologize if these are daft questions, I just want to make sure a particular puzzle solution isn't half-way across the island, especially when I'm not entirely sure what to look for at this early stage.

Personally I think it's better to not get an answer to that question. You'll figure things out in due time. That's part of the process.

Just go somewhere else for now, things will make sense eventually

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whelp
top of the mountain and I'm stumped right away

I unlocked one of the three locks, but I just can't find the angles to unlock the other two

jett

D-Member
Dang this late game puzzle.

In the mountain, the huge puzzle on the floor with little puzzles inside it. I really got no clue. I've tried making the shapes I've already made, I've tried filling every space with th pieces, I've tried having each puzzle blank. I just don't get it. Can't figure out how it works. I always have each panel flashing red when I fail.

If there is an environmental hint, it will be in the same area.

But not all puzzle types have environmental hints.

tch

A few questions regarding the end of the game:
I am at the elevator after the cave with the pillar puzzles. Am I at the very end? Will I lose my data if I go any further? I heard you have to restart once you complete the game. I have 11 lasers but I want to keep getting everything else. If you could avoid any big spoilers I'd appreciate it!

Top Bottom