• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

BraXzy

Quick question about the swamp in regard to +puzzles.
I extended that yellow bridge across to the foot of the mountain. While climbing, I noticed a + puzzle, two actually, in the water of the purple section. But it is circular and the bridge is blocking it. I don't get how to detract the bridge now I have extended it. Any hints? :3

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Only two lasers to go. I cheated on the last few Jungle panels though. Just plain boring and simply too hard for me to hear everything. By far the worst set of puzzles in the game so far.

Anyway, a quick question. Why does this not work? http://imgur.com/a/B7tN8
Those bottom-right two are red and purple. Not the same Color.

Woodchipper

Those bottom-right two are red and purple. Not the same Color.
I know, but they need to be paired. I thought you could blend two colors together in case no other option available. I must recall wrong.

Edit: Aaaah, I got it! Haha, silly me!

thefil

Finished the Mountain and the game just closed at the end of the cutscene. Is that correct or did it crash?

*edit* 16 hours, ~350 puzzles solved, +25.

BeeDog

Only two lasers to go. I cheated on the last few Jungle panels though. Just plain boring and simply too hard for me to hear everything. By far the worst set of puzzles in the game so far.

Anyway, a quick question. Why does this not work? http://imgur.com/a/B7tN8

1. See what Rez said
2. BIG SPOILER:
If that is the door puzzle in the village, you shouldn't trust the colors shown there. Go to the Bunker if that's the case to get the hang of it.

BeeDog

Anyway, I fully give up on a puzzle which I asked about earlier. Asked for vague hints, but they didn't do anything for me :'(

Village spoilers:
Need some clearer help in solving the broken speaker/soundproof room puzzles. Feels like I've looked everywhere to find a second speaker, but no dice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Boom. Down goes the door on the beach.

My triangle of despair is now a dot of despair.
Anyway, I fully give up on a puzzle which I asked about earlier. Asked for vague hints, but they didn't do anything for me :'(

Village spoilers:
Need some clearer help in solving the broken speaker/soundproof room puzzles. Feels like I've looked everywhere to find a second speaker, but no dice.
I didn't read the hints earlier, but I can almost guarantee you're looking for a key that doesn't exist. The two puzzles are very closely related...

Yeah, I'm halfway through the swamp but this one has me totally fucked lol

I'd say employ the paper cutout or photoshop method or rearranging the pieces. The solution becomes obvious fairly quickly, again assuming you understand the rules for tetris pieces.

TheXbox

Minor bunker spoilers:

Fucking color puzzles make me wanna tear my goddamn hair out. I got five or six in a row pretty quickly until the second one where you have to look through the tinted glass. Even knowing that trick, it's still fucking impossible! I've tried everything. Shit. Fuck.

Village spoilers:

Slightly more direct hint
Have you tried different solutions for the puzzle on the left?

Village spoilers:

You don't need a speaker. Look at what's available on the second panel. Assuming you know the relationship between the two from the forest, apply a solution from the second panel to the first

Mindlog

Is there a tutorial for
puzzles where the line doesn't automatically extend to the endpoint? I assume there's a correct path that'll allow the line to reach its end, but I don't know if it's that simple or if there are additional quirks to it.
You don't have to,,, Wait. I know what you are talking about now :]
Hint:
Just keep messing around and pay attention. Explain everything to yourself as it happens then try again.
I generally stick to vague hints that apply to every puzzle. More like friendly reminders than hints. If you need more help come on back or PM.

Village spoilers:
I told you not to do that!
Making way too obvious here:
The keys are the keys.

POST-ENDGAME SPOILERS
I have 2 puzzles in the cave left to solve and this is the first time in the game I really hit a roadblock. Those are the panels in question: http://imgur.com/PJLqXuU
I guess I have to form a point-mirrored figure with all 4 tetrimons in the first puzzle, but I have no clue how. I even cut those tetrimons out of paper but I just can't find any good solution. Already tried for about an hour forming different figures out of paper tetrimons. Did not really bother with the second one yet because that one seems a bit annoying.
Don't want any hints because I solved everything so far without any and don't want to give up now. Maybe the answer becomes clear when I come back to the puzzle tomorrow.

Otherwise I don't have any puzzles unsolved that I know of. Currently sitting at 513 puzzles+66 solved so there seem to be 7 panels on the island I have not found yet.

I saw that
psychedelic panel
in the
cave
while looking around and yeah, I'm rather intimidated by it too. Looking at the first one though I was able to visualize and paint over a solution which I have now saved to input when I get home, hah.

(Removed stuff that may be considered hints if you don't want them, whoops)

Gsnap

Making my way through
the town
at a pretty good pace. It's a really fun section and should be the last one I need. I like how it
mixes all the different puzzles together.
So far every puzzle in that section has been at the sweet spot for me. Tough enough that I don't solve them right away, but doable enough that I'm not stuck on them forever, and al my various "hunches" about the different tricks have been correct so far.

Yogg

endgame:
Just got to the bottom of the mountain, after the ground puzzle, and a statue is holding a puzzle with triple orange triangles on them. Has anyone figured out the rules of those triangles ?

BraXzy

Alright still in the swamp RE: +puzzle.

I have got the two lines in the purple swamp. There's one final one that requires both sides of the yellow platform to be out of the way, at least partially. Cannot figure this one out. Halp? Last thing before I head to a new area.

WGMBY

I'm still wading through the early
swamp
puzzles, but the last few solutions have convinced me that Jonathan Blow is some type of devil.

This is the only puzzle game I've played where I regularly shout "Fuck You!" when I complete a puzzle. I've been tricked too many times at this point. Still really enjoying it.

AAK

So I got the first trophy "symmetry" something along that line but I haven't heard a single piece of dialogue yet. Did I miss anything? Am I supposed to pick something up? All I've been doing is going from place to place and solving the puzzles.

Exuro

endgame:
Just got to the bottom of the mountain, after the ground puzzle, and a statue is holding a puzzle with triple orange triangles on them. Has anyone figured out the rules of those triangles ?
Yes. It's related to
The sides of the squares.

Brashnir

So I got the first trophy "symmetry" something along that line but I haven't heard a single piece of dialogue yet. Did I miss anything? Am I supposed to pick something up? All I've been doing is going from place to place and solving the puzzles.

Why do you need dialogue?

The puzzle at 13:15 in this video (the marsh / swamp area)

I was able to get this puzzle solved with some brute force but could someone please explain to me why this is the correct solution? I'm struggling to understand it.

GhaleonEB

So, I'm at what I think is a fairly simple tetris block puzzle but I think it's a good one to test my understanding of how to make use of the blocks. Needless to say, I'm failing that test pretty spectacularly.

This is the puzzle, with what I was 100% sure would be the right solution, after about 10 minutes of noodling around. (It's not.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ63HbyVAAElmE8.jpg:large

My thinking on the solution I've input is:
1) need to group the tetris blocks together into one large block of eight, but 2) need to separate the the white blocks from the black, while 3) keeping all the white ones together in the same section, and 4) they won't count against the blocks that need to be included in the tetris shapes section.

My solution meets all of those criteria, but obviously, one or more of those things is incorrect, or there's another layer I'm missing completely. Could some kind soul point me to where I've gone astray, without straight up telling me the solution? I feel like I'm *this* close to understanding my arch-nemesis.

Mikey Jr.

Hey so, quick question. I have like 100 or so puzzles done, but I want to start a new file with my brother on PS4.

Can I just start a new game from the options and create a new file? Or will it erase my 100 puzzle file with this brand new one?

Thanks.

G-Bus

Banned
Well this games even better with another person.

Told my brother to pick it up because he's really into puzzles. Finally see him online today playing and we get to chatting. I'm about 200 puzzles up on him and he asks if I've seen the
video in the basement of the windmill. Totally forgot that thing had a basement! So I run down , do the puzzle to open the door and I'm greeted with a honeycomb puzzle. No idea. He tells me after the beginning area there's a place where the answer is.
just fantastic.

Digging the jungle but a
cellphone! And smashing glass, a car horn...
lol wtf.

Phear

endgame:

number of triangles is how many sides must be marked with the line

Kalor

So I'm curious about something in town.
Am I meant to be looking through the yellow tinted glass for the church door. I've been trying answers following that colour scheme but I can't think of the solution.

BraXzy

Alright still in the swamp RE: +puzzle.

I have got the two lines in the purple swamp. There's one final one that requires both sides of the yellow platform to be out of the way, at least partially. Cannot figure this one out. Halp? Last thing before I head to a new area.

Wow, I'm so daft. I just did the most convoluted thing ever and it was super simple.

I set it up so that they'd both be rotating, but I was on the swamp side of the yellow platform. I set the panel to have the both start rotating. Sprinted all the way over to the red section, across the L shape, down the stairs, through the door and up to red. Went through the red section, ran into the cave through the shortcut, up the wooden steps and onto the overlook opposite. I was slightly too late. Then I realised I just had to make them rotate whilst I was on this side of the platform lmao!

1) need to group the tetris blocks together into one large block of eight, but 2) need to separate the the white blocks from the black, while 3) keeping all the white ones together in the same section, and 4) they won't count against the blocks that need to be included in the tetris shapes section.

I haven't gotten to this particular puzzle, but based on my knowledge from other puzzles, I'm guessing the problem is (edit: apparently just "at least") with assumption #3.

2 is the only one of these that is true.

Question regarding the (seemingly) last panel in the swamp.
Why is it that the bottom two shapes are considered "OK" (i.e. not flashing red)? I understand that the blue subtract the yellow and that there are the same number of blues and yellows. And I went back earlier in the thread and saw someone say something like, "what are the rules for when there are no shapes to draw" and oh I am so confused.
http://i.imgur.com/EcTkpHE.png

EDIT: Nevermind! Got it as soon as I posted. Kotaku was right, writing things out in words helps.

Atrophis

So, I'm at what I think is a fairly simple tetris block puzzle but I think it's a good one to test my understanding of how to make use of the blocks. Needless to say, I'm failing that test pretty spectacularly.

This is the puzzle, with what I was 100% sure would be the right solution, after about 10 minutes of noodling around. (It's not.)

My solution meets all of those criteria, but obviously, one or more of those things is incorrect, or there's another layer I'm missing completely. Could some kind soul point me to where I've gone astray, without straight up telling me the solution? I feel like I'm *this* close to understanding my arch-nemesis.

If the area you've marked out contains more squares than the total number of squares that make up the tetris piece symbols then it is wrong. If you were to mark out an area containing all four of those symbols the area should take up eight squares.

In regards to the black and white squares, do some testing to see whats shown as a valid input when trying to group different numbers of them together.

HoodWinked

Wow, I'm so daft. I just did the most convoluted thing ever and it was super simple.

I set it up so that they'd both be rotating, but I was on the swamp side of the yellow platform. I set the panel to have the both start rotating. Sprinted all the way over to the red section, across the L shape, down the stairs, through the door and up to red. Went through the red section, ran into the cave through the shortcut, up the wooden steps and onto the overlook opposite. I was slightly too late. Then I realised I just had to make them rotate whilst I was on this side of the platform lmao!

nice job. also theres
3 there not 2.

You've made a faulty assumption about how blocks interact with other elements

The only thing blocks care about are the borders (line and edge of puzzle). Your line is outlining more than 8 squares, the black and white squares do not count as a border.

Mindlog

The puzzle at 13:15 in this video (the marsh / swamp area)

I was able to get this puzzle solved with some brute force but could someone please explain to me why this is the correct solution? I'm struggling to understand it.
Start with the basics.
There are twelve orange squares and four hollow blue squares.
12 - 4 = 8. The final solution will have 8 squares if all the pieces are connected.
When two pieces overlap a hollow blue square can subtract a piece from one or the other to prevent that overlap.
If a piece is sticking out of the enclosed area you can again count on the hollow square erasing that as well.
The hollow square basically feeds on tetriminos. This lets them fit any space available with their remaining pieces.
In this case all you really need to do is connect 8 squares with every element on the board.
If I missed a mechanic I'll come back to it.

Your #4 will not work. That breaks the rules. You also don't need to quarantine all blocks of the same color in a single section for a solution to be reached.

Here are a few hints.

Minor:
the letter Z

A bit more helpful:

Your #1 isn't the correct shape for this puzzle

Very helpful:

Z shaped tetris block

So I'm curious about something in town.
Am I meant to be looking through the yellow tinted glass for the church door. I've been trying answers following that colour scheme but I can't think of the solution.

That's half of it, but it sounds like you haven't learned about
the shapes on the door
yet.

BeeDog

Curious: do the (small village spoiler) puzzles
up inside the container, in the RGB room, actually do anything?

Top Bottom