• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Certinty

Goddamn at the
town
, I'm completely stuck on so many puzzles there, just have no idea about the rules at all.

Guess I need to explore other areas first and then I might learn the rules?

Atrophis

Dang this late game puzzle.

In the mountain, the huge puzzle on the floor with little puzzles inside it. I really got no clue. I've tried making the shapes I've already made, I've tried filling every space with th pieces, I've tried having each puzzle blank. I just don't get it. Can't figure out how it works. I always have each panel flashing red when I fail.

I just started it, I figured out what it wants me to do but I have only managed to get one side completed. Don't see how I can mirror it on the opposite side. If you are not sure what to do, make a valid easy shape in the bottom left panel and then see what happens if you try to copy it on the large panel, ignoring the others.

tch

Goddamn at the
town
, I'm completely stuck on so many puzzles there, just have no idea about the rules at all.

Yep! And when you come back and it all clicks it's a super satisfying area!

Slixshot

Banned
Can someone give me a hint with these stupid shadow puzzles?

Im trying to do the third one (the one after the puzzle hidden in between two stone statues... its like the one that opens one of the gate doors to the laser

I feel like the design of the puzzle is so bad. Unless Im missing something

I'm trying to use the stones to see the pattern on the shadows, but this stupid C shape looks so confusing.

This doesn't open any laser, just another puzzle

Hint:
Think about how shadows work in correlation to the sun
Hint 2:
You're looking at the answer... there's nothing missing
Hint 3:
What would happen if the sun moved? What would happen to the shadow?

Answer:
You have to shift the whole shadow onto the maze

Going to go back to the puzzle to make sure this is the right one :)

Edit!

I gave you advice for the 4th, which was easily the hardest for me... so I'll keep the hint up there. Here's a hint for number 3:

Hint:
you see the C shape... so you're not wrong!
Hint 2:
Follow the direction the weird looking C travels!
Hint 3:
Trace the C onto a sheet of paper -- the direction it travels -- see if you can piece it together from there
Hint 4:
Start the weird looking C from the end of the light on the maze!

Shahadan

Goddamn at the
town

Many puzzles in this zone are a like a greatest hits compilation. You don't have to have been to the other zones to complete them, but it will help a lot.

*Splinter

A few questions regarding the end of the game:
I am at the elevator after the cave with the pillar puzzles. Am I at the very end? Will I lose my data if I go any further? I heard you have to restart once you complete the game. I have 11 lasers but I want to keep getting everything else. If you could avoid any big spoilers I'd appreciate it!
It will save at the point of no return, so after the ending you can just load that last save and carry on

jett

D-Member
I just started it, I figured out what it wants me to do but I have only managed to get one side completed. Don't see how I can mirror it on the opposite side. If you are not sure what to do, make a valid easy shape in the bottom left panel and then see what happens if you try to copy it on the large panel, ignoring the others.

Ah hell! Thanks. It just didn't seem possible to me at first.

Colasante

Is there a tutorial for
puzzles where the line doesn't automatically extend to the endpoint? I assume there's a correct path that'll allow the line to reach its end, but I don't know if it's that simple or if there are additional quirks to it.

d00d3n

I am not sure if I was just affected by a bug.

When you complete the castle puzzle
in the tower facing the pressure plate courtyard, should the effects be obvious? The laser beam activated for me when completing the tower puzzle facing the hedge maze courtyard, but nothing happened when I completed the second one. Is this a "first tower puzzle activates the beam" and "second tower puzzle does nothing" situation, irrespective of the order in which you tackle them? Should something more happen when you complete the second one?

This doesn't open any laser, just another puzzle

Hint:
Think about how shadows work in correlation to the sun
Hint 2:
You're looking at the answer... there's nothing missing
Hint 3:
What would happen if the sun moved? What would happen to the shadow?

Answer:
You have to shift the whole shadow onto the maze

Going to go back to the puzzle to make sure this is the right one :)

Dont know if this is the right puzzle, but it's the third one that has the orange pillars adjacebt to the puzzle

It is only one pillar that has the shadow as opposed to the previous 2 puzzles that has the pillar next to the puzzle

The first 2 were easy enough. Just imagine the light in between the shadow as the path

This one is all crooked

There are also 2 starting points, which is confusing me even more

Atrophis

I am not sure if I was just affected by a bug.

When you complete the castle puzzle
in the tower facing the pressure plate courtyard, should the effects be obvious? The laser beam activated for me when completing the tower puzzle facing the hedge maze courtyard, but nothing happened when I completed the second one. Is this a "first tower puzzle activates the beam" and "second tower puzzle does nothing" situation, irrespective of the order in which you tackle them? Should something more happen when you complete the second one?

I believe you only have to complete one of the two panels to activate the laser. So completing the second does nothing. Except make you feel clever :)

Slixshot

Banned
Dont know if this is the right puzzle, but it's the third one that has the orange pillars adjacebt to the puzzle

It is only one pillar that has the shadow as opposed to the previous 2 puzzles that has the pillar next to the puzzle

The first 2 were easy enough. Just imagine the light in between the shadow as the path

This one is all crooked

There are also 2 starting points, which is confusing me even more

Got it. I was on the one after. Check my edit above for the hints to that puzzle

Booted the game back up. Still in the swamp. I thought I understood what
the blue square outlines represented (take away 1 block) but I don't get how that applies here. Can someone give me a rough hint as to what they actually represent?

https://i.gyazo.com/c6ed880a265eaa0a424a0e90e4727cec.png

Still means exactly what you think it means.
Take away 2 blocks from 2 and what do you have left? Nothing. What are the rules for drawing a line through a panel with LITERALLY no symbols on it?

BeeDog

the blue square outlines represented (take away 1 block) but I don't get how that applies here. Can someone give me a rough hint as to what they actually represent?

Means exactly what you wrote. Hint:
Count the number of blue squares and compare them to the number of yellow ones. In the middle puzzle, what shape would remain if you do the subtraction (yellow - blue)?

You're not misunderstanding what the hollow squares represent, but you need to fully understand what that means for your line.

Keep trying that one. There are something like 4-5 ways to solve it.

cyba89

POST-ENDGAME SPOILERS
I have 2 puzzles in the cave left to solve and this is the first time in the game I really hit a roadblock. Those are the panels in question: http://imgur.com/PJLqXuU
I guess I have to form a point-mirrored figure with all 4 tetrimons in the first puzzle, but I have no clue how. I even cut those tetrimons out of paper but I just can't find any good solution. Already tried for about an hour forming different figures out of paper tetrimons. Did not really bother with the second one yet because that one seems a bit annoying.
Don't want any hints because I solved everything so far without any and don't want to give up now. Maybe the answer becomes clear when I come back to the puzzle tomorrow.

Otherwise I don't have any puzzles unsolved that I know of. Currently sitting at 513 puzzles+66 solved so there seem to be 7 panels on the island I have not found yet.

sunlapse

Neo Member
Stuck early on in the mountain:

The first area where you create the purple walkway to navigate between the green and orange puzzles. I solved both of those sets, and have the two purple puzzles within the pillar of desks/chairs solved, but I can't figure out how to make a path to the office on the other side. It seems that every completable solution just blocks actual movement via the pillar in the middle. Any hints?

louiedog

Stuck early on in the mountain:

The first area where you create the purple walkway to navigate between the green and orange puzzles. I solved both of those sets, and have the two purple puzzles within the pillar of desks/chairs solved, but I can't figure out how to make a path to the office on the other side. It seems that every completable solution just blocks actual movement via the pillar in the middle. Any hints?

Investigate the pillar some more.

Got it. I was on the one after. Check my edit above for the hints to that puzzle

Thanks man. Been doing what you said for the psst hour though

Starting where you said, which seems obvious enough, but not sure how to fit the shape in after that or what to do with the 2nd starting point.

But thanks again! You definitely helped

Finally bought this. I'm on PS4. 33 panels solved.

I've never, EVER had issues with headaches/nausea due to FOV before. I never understood what people complaining about FOV were talking about.

Until now. 33 panels in and I'm feeling carsick. Definitely not continuing for now. Not sure what to do, really.

I've never, EVER had issues with headaches/nausea due to FOV before. I never understood what people complaining about FOV were talking about.

Until now. 33 panels in and I'm feeling carsick. Definitely not continuing for now. Not sure what to do, really.

You can try moving further away from the TV? Not optimal I know, but helps for some people.

You have to sit a foot or two farther back. it really works.

BraXzy

Still means exactly what you think it means.
Take away 2 blocks from 2 and what do you have left? Nothing. What are the rules for drawing a line through a panel with LITERALLY no symbols on it?

Means exactly what you wrote. Hint:
Count the number of blue squares and compare them to the number of yellow ones. In the middle puzzle, what shape would remain if you do the subtraction (yellow - blue)?

You're not misunderstanding what the hollow squares represent, but you need to fully understand what that means for your line.

Keep trying that one. There are something like 4-5 ways to solve it.

Thanks guys, it clicked and I just got my lazer :D

Waxwing

Question regarding slight spoiler for endgame:

I've heard that there's a new game plus option. If I'm nearing the end of the required puzzles (but want to solve everything), does it make sense to press on to NG+ or hold off and continue solving non-essential stuff before going to NG+

Croc

Banned
so, I'm doing some miscellaneous puzzles out by
the symmetry area. The ones where you need the rocks in the background.

I solved the first two but I'm stumped on the third one. They seemed pretty straightforward before but none of my solutions are working for this one.

edit: n/m, I solved them all. They were actually very straightforward lol. I keep solving things immediately after I post.

I've heard that there's a new game plus option. If I'm nearing the end of the required puzzles (but want to solve everything), does it make sense to press on to NG+ or hold off and continue solving non-essential stuff before going to NG+

There is no NG+. Once you see the ending you'll be placed back in a new game, but you can reload your previous save to continue with your game before you triggered the "ending".

BraXzy

I always get super overwhelmed when I've finished an area. I love how much there is to go and explore but boy does it feel a little daunting each time :D

POST-ENDGAME SPOILERS
I have 2 puzzles in the cave left to solve and this is the first time in the game I really hit a roadblock. Those are the panels in question: http://imgur.com/PJLqXuU
I guess I have to form a point-mirrored figure with all 4 tetrimons in the first puzzle, but I have no clue how. I even cut those tetrimons out of paper but I just can't find any good solution. Already tried for about an hour forming different figures out of paper tetrimons. Did not really bother with the second one yet because that one seems a bit annoying.
Don't want any hints because I solved everything so far without any and don't want to give up now. Maybe the answer becomes clear when I come back to the puzzle tomorrow.

Otherwise I don't have any puzzles unsolved that I know of. Currently sitting at 513 puzzles+66 solved so there seem to be 7 panels on the island I have not found yet.

Yup, I have no idea when I'll get to that second puzzle. Color puzzles were fun in the bunker, challenging in town/endgame, but this just sucks. I am at 514 and have that puzzle, the shipwreck, two puzzles that creates a that I can't find the other end to and I guess two other puzzles that I don't know of.

*Splinter

There is no NG+, it just saves right before the point of no return. After it ends you can load up that save and go back and just continue.

This ending doesn't change as far as I can tell, so you might as well do it ASAP

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, the beach door (behind the desert ruin) is killing me. OPEN UP DAMN YOOOOOUUUUUUUU
This, the ship door and (what I think is) the penultimate color puzzle in the mountain are my triangle of despair at the moment.

Woodchipper

Only two lasers to go. I cheated on the last few Jungle panels though. Just plain boring and simply too hard for me to hear everything. By far the worst set of puzzles in the game so far.

Anyway, a quick question. Why does this not work? http://imgur.com/a/B7tN8

G_Berry

Banned
Did anyone else just avoid that quarry Tetris puzzle? The one near the little waterfall and down the stairs? It's fucking impossible!!!!!!

Top Bottom