• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

GhaleonEB

If the area you've marked out contains more squares than the total number of squares that make up the tetris piece symbols then it is wrong. If you were to mark out an area containing all four of those symbols the area should take up eight squares.

In regards to the black and white squares, do some testing to see whats shown as a valid input when trying to group different numbers of them together.

You've made a faulty assumption about how blocks interact with other elements

The only thing blocks care about are the borders (line and edge of puzzle). Your line is outlining more than 8 squares, the black and white squares do not count as a border.

I've input the solution that includes all four blocks, but takes up only 8 squares (both columns) several times, but also separated the colors; that was the first thing I did. It didn't work, so I thought there was more to it. Arg.

I'll go do something different for a while. Thanks.

Hint for maze puzzle after the one with the
grass solution
please?

Feel like it has something to do with the
borders on the hedges

Start with the basics.
There are twelve orange squares and four hollow blue squares.
12 - 4 = 8. The final solution will have 8 squares if all the pieces are connected.
When two pieces overlap a hollow blue square can subtract a piece from one or the other to prevent that overlap.
In this case all you really need to do is connect 8 squares with every element on the board.
If I missed a mechanic I'll come back to it.

Oops, sorry....it's the puzzle right after that one. He starts working on it at around 13:17. The "checkerboard" symbol at the top left.

Let's assume this puzzle didn't have any other elements to it. Would the player be required to input that exact shape?

Oops, sorry....it's the puzzle right after that one. He starts working on it at around 13:17. The "checkerboard" symbol at the top left.

You have to fill in the gaps in the checkerboard or else you can't draw a line.

You do that by deleting the center square from the T-piece.

But there aren't enough squares to fill it all up, so you have to delete a piece from the checkboard itself too.

Atrophis

That checker board puzzle is one of my favourites in the game :)

I've input the solution that includes all four blocks, but takes up only 8 squares (both columns) several times, but also separated the colors; that was the first thing I did. It didn't work, so I thought there was more to it. Arg.

I'll go do something different for a while. Thanks.

If you go and do some of the marsh first, that panel will be very easy.

rje

Anyone know where the game puts save files? I wanted to back it all up before I try something. I dug around in steamapps/common/The Witness but didn't see anything that looked like a save file

You have to fill in the gaps in the checkerboard or else you can't draw a line.

You do that by deleting the center square from the T-piece.

But there aren't enough squares to fill it all up, so you have to delete a piece from the checkboard itself too.

Ohhhhhh ok

Man....that is tough. I got lucky.

HoodWinked

The puzzle at 13:15 in this video (the marsh / swamp area)

I was able to get this puzzle solved with some brute force but could someone please explain to me why this is the correct solution? I'm struggling to understand it.

the pieces still have to match up but using math helps alot to get a general idea of the final answer.

so going from top to bottom 8-1+4-1=10. so the grouping of shapes is going to be 10 blocks in size they could be a separate grouping of 8-1=7 and 4-1=3 but because the 8 takes up so much space you generally would think it would be difficult to fit a 7 sized block and 3 sized group block on the same board.

http://i.imgur.com/rPTGoT0.png i made a visual you remove the blue squares then that leaves a spot the T shape could go in which is in red.

edit: whelp too slow.

rje

I think it's the right place to ask:
Any reason to prefer either the PC or PS4 versions?

If any of these benefits sound worth it to you, I'd say get it on PC:
  • You can adjust the FOV if you have motion sickness issues
  • Improved graphical settings (not drastic, but noticable)
  • Can use mouse/keyboard, some people find the mouse better for doing puzzles
  • VR support on PC, there won't be PSVR support
  • Can get a DRM free copy if you want

On the PS4 side - I believe there are more achievements (there are only 2 on steam).

the pieces still have to match up but using math helps alot to get a general idea of the final answer.

so going from top to bottom 8-1+4-1=10. so the grouping of shapes is going to be 10 blocks in size they could be a separate grouping of 8-1=7 and 4-1=3 but because the 8 takes up so much space you generally would think it would be difficult to fit a 7 sized block and 3 sized group block on the same board.

http://i.imgur.com/rPTGoT0.png i made a visual you remove the blue squares then that leaves a spot the T shape could go in which is in red.

edit: whelp too slow.

Wow, that visual really helped me to understand it. Thanks!

This game is really something.

Fdkn

Got my platinum trophy with a puzzle count of 508+68 :D

These 4 days have been some of the most exciting and intense gaming moments I've ever enjoyed.
The wait has been so worth it, thanks Mr. Blow and the rest of the team.

I'll keep exploring until I reach the full completion (if I'm able to do so lol)

Mindlog

Ohhhhhh ok

Man....that is tough. I got lucky.
I made an illustration really quickly.
(solution to a tough swamp puzzle)
Green dots are the checkerboard pieces.
Blue dots are the T tetris shape.
Red dots are the hollow blue squares.
Yellow is the path.
http://imgur.com/wfToM3h
Hope it helps. Understanding the why is pretty important because the game plays with that theme.

zer0blivion :]

Phear

I'm through with 427+13

Am i supposed to load an old save? Or should i begin new? After i got everything in the mountain, the fly by over the island showed that some panels and lasers were turned off, but some stayed on?!

And... Do we know if there is an alternate ending? Does something special happen, when you get all +xx Puzzles?

The ending left me kind of disappointed...

I made an illustration really quickly.
(solution to a tough swamp puzzle)
Green dots are the checkerboard pieces.
Blue dots are the T tetris shape.
Red dots are the hollow blue squares.
Yellow is the path.
http://imgur.com/wfToM3h
Hope it helps.

Awesome, that does help! Thanks!

Anyone else think that's one of the toughest puzzles in the game so far? (not counting any endgame stuff)

I whipped up a crude illustration:

Thanks!

Really appreciate everyone helping me understand it.

One more question to make sure I fully grasp it. If that specific board only contained the "checkerboard" icon and nothing else, would drawing a line straight up from the start to the finish solve it?

Edit - I wouldn't....I understand now.

HoodWinked

Awesome, that does help! Thanks!

Anyone else think that's one of the toughest puzzles in the game so far? (not counting any endgame stuff)

this was one of the easier ones involving
tetris
pieces
because the checkerboard takes up so much space that you're sort of cornered into having all the pieces together. it gets much harder when you're not sure if they can be grouped or not.

Jisgsaw

If any of these benefits sound worth it to you, I'd say get it on PC:
  • You can adjust the FOV if you have motion sickness issues
  • Improved graphical settings (not drastic, but noticable)
  • Can use mouse/keyboard, some people find the mouse better for doing puzzles
  • VR support on PC, there won't be PSVR support
  • Can get a DRM free copy if you want

On the PS4 side - I believe there are more achievements (there are only 2 on steam).

Thanks.
I don't care for achievements; PC it is then.

louiedog

I think it's the right place to ask:
Any reason to prefer either the PC or PS4 versions?

I tried playing with a controller and I very much prefer the mouse for solving the puzzles. I'm not normally someone who insists on mouse control for first person games on PC, but I like a lot more here.

Freeman76

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

god damn broken glass stepping puzzle in the castle

http://i.imgur.com/O6y9RPL.jpg

any subtle hint? I spent way to much time on this lol

This one has me stumped. I think its something to do with the placement of the pillars...cant work out what though. Next to the panel with paint spilled on it there are also 2 small broken pillars, im trying to figure out if they somehow represent the black and white blocks in the grid. Headfuck

Mindlog

^^^^ Hint:
The ink doesn't matter.
Huge enormous spoiler for the same puzzle:
redacted
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Subtle hint. There's more than one way to solve it.
Finding the correct solution later will really leave you scratching your head.
I probably said too much :x
Thanks, yep I have them all. Holy balls was
the town
awesome.
I don't want to spoil anything. I also liked the town.

Fdkn

Had almost no problems with the panels, but geez, i'm blind regarding the +xx Puzzles..

The more you get the easier you start to see them imo.

Regarding your prior question (endgame spoilers)
there is at least an easter egg ending that I'm aware of, but one of the better things about it is finding the place itself so if you're interested it requires some serious exploration and putting many hints together

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

http://i.imgur.com/O6y9RPL.jpg

This one has me stumped. I think its something to do with the placement of the pillars...cant work out what though. Next to the panel with paint spilled on it there are also 2 small broken pillars, im trying to figure out if they somehow represent the black and white blocks in the grid. Headfuck

Think about what you want to change to solve the puzzle, and how you can achieve that change without failing the puzzle.

As a related aside:
damn that flavor/story text is helpful

I'm stuck in the swamp. I activated the
laser
but how do I get back across the
bridge
?

Look at the puzzle on the bridge, then
look down at the bridge and both platforms. See any similarities?

It's an important thing to notice, because this mechanic shows up elsewhere in the game.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the I shaped bridge, or the corner one?

neonille

How do you get access to the mines in the mountain???

Also, do these lead to the second floor in the underground mines at the windmill??

Top Bottom