• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The only tetris puzzle I didn't enjoy was in one of the underground rooms in the swamp. The one where you have to find room for seven different basic pieces in a 5x6 board. The permutations are nearly endless!

I solved it by figuring out that 7 blocks x 4 tiles per block is 2 less than the 30 spaces on the board, so I iterated through all the solutions where the line traces around the side except for 2 spaces. Technically brute forcing, but fewer permutations than just playing around with the actual puzzle pieces.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Did you get all the way through the
marsh
?

If so:
Group a yellow piece and a blue piece together, and the blue piece cancels out any same-shaped part of the yellow piece.
Thanks I figured it out just after I posted. Some of these puzzles are making me feel like the dumnest genius on earth.

them tetris block puzzles are a mind bender for me.

My final opinion of the tetris puzzles is that I find them the most enjoyable of all the abstract puzzle types.

They're more open-ended than the color separation puzzles, but less open-ended than the dot-crossing or
negation
puzzles (which can go a hundred different ways). For me, they provide enough possibilities to offer a good challenge, without offering so many possibilities that you can sit there for half an hour without progress.

Swamp section after draining -
What do these hollow blue tiles mean? I am solving the puzzles but don't know how, and this has been BY FART the hardest area in the game for me so I know I will be fucked once these get harder

Qblivion

Swamp section after draining -
What do these hollow blue tiles mean? I am solving the puzzles but don't know how, and this has been BY FART the hardest area in the game for me so I know I will be fucked once these get harder

they let you subtract blocks from tetrominos.

is this link just to the solution? I'd like to understand why I can't get it, if that makes sense :p I totally grasped the puzzles leading up to this

I didn't trace the solution, if that's what you're asking. The problem is you're not looking at the puzzle through a filter.

Is there a good, solid map somewhere with the names of the areas? I'm getting lost easily.

Also, I'm at 170 solved with 1 beacon. Does that sound correct?

anyone a fan of the black obelisk puzzles?

If you are good at those I would love some help/solution on 2 of them

swamp
I think there are 2 puzzles on the rotating bridge using the shadows, clockwise and ccounter-clockwise but I am stumped for the solution

#2 mountain
the Obelisk has 3 grid maze puzzles, for when you draw you path across the glass center room you go under and trace the path got 2 missing the last bottom one

here is an image of the 2 I am looking for
CaGRaO4VAAEdwL2.jpg

finally got the swamp one!
without help :(

just need that last one so close XD

I didn't trace the solution, if that's what you're asking.
The problem is you're not looking at the puzzle through a filter.
I know the stuff you're saying isn't a huge spoiler but I know I didnt even want hints when scrolling through the thread. Sadly some of the
color place
was ruined for me because I knew too many hints like this and that place was too awesome to be ruined. :<

Is there a good, solid map somewhere with the names of the areas? I'm getting lost easily.

Also, I'm at 170 solved with 1 beacon. Does that sound correct?

This is the map everyone uses: http://the-witness.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/World_Map_Edited.jpg It's an in-development map so it's a little out of date. Most importantly, the Bunker is the building on the side of the mountain.

Don't worry about ratio of puzzles to lasers too much. Everyone should go at their own pace.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know the stuff you're saying isn't a huge spoiler but I know I didnt even want hints when scrolling through the thread. Sadly some of the
color place
was ruined for me because I knew too many hints like this and that place was too awesome to be ruined. :<
Hmm I'd agree but I'm not sure what
filters
had anything to do with what I wasn't grasping. TropicanaTwista was right on with how I was going wrong.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
4hllQ0s.jpg

What am I missing with this one? The bottom right side seems impossible ??
I'm supposed to isolate the colors, right?

Need some help. I'm nearing the end and really stuck.

On the floor puzzle map inside the mountain I can't seem to make any shape that fits. I'm playing around with shapes inside PS but nothing works except using a piece that I can't grab. Just need confirmation on something. Can you activate the backwards L tetris piece on the top right portion of the floor puzzle? My solution requires the piece but it doesn't seem possible to solve the puzzle for that piece.

nib95

Banned
Just completed the game. Ending was quite anticlimactic tbh. Didn't really get it or understand the context, instead it just left me with more questions and theories. I guess I just wanted something more conclusive or definitive, instead of the vague whimsical wordy artistry that was essentially promoted the entire game.

In the end I finished around 450 panels or so, over who knows how many countless hours. I used walkthrough's for a dozen or more puzzles and I'm not even ashamed of it. Some were just borderline crazy, with weirdly obtuse, inconsistent, overly vague or spontaneous changes to rules, visuals and methods (Eg the shadow type puzzles), that became far too frustrating to be fun, especially when really hard puzzles were all I had left to go back to in the Island.

Having said all that, overall I still had a wonderful time with the game, and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. Whilst it continuously made me feel inept, it was also so often highly rewarding, constantly intriguing and utterly beautiful.

There's also an incredible amount of diversity with the puzzles, rules, tasks etc, and I can't help but admire Blow's sheer ambition and genius. Never have I played a game where in such short succession I was forced to experiment with so many different elements of logic and perception, from listening out for minute audio ques, to brute force problem solving, thinking outside the box, analysing or using the environment in the game world in unusual ways, frantically scribbling over pieces of paper or grids in Photoshop and so on. It is most definitely one of the most difficult, but also fascinating and thought provoking games I've ever played.

Need some help. I'm nearing the end and really stuck.

On the floor puzzle map inside the mountain I can't seem to make any shape that fits. I'm playing around with shapes inside PS but nothing works except using a piece that I can't grab. Just need confirmation on something. Can you activate the backwards L tetris piece on the top right portion of the floor puzzle? My solution requires the piece but it doesn't seem possible to solve the puzzle for that piece.
The top right one can only be the corner shape. Unfortunately this puzzle is exactly what it seems.
You should cut out the shapes with paper if you haven't already.

End game stuffs
I think I'm at the same spot as you and I'm going to go ahead and say this isn't even almost the ending.

I'm ~170 +25 in and it's suddenly getting so much more challenging. In a defeating way. Before, when I was totally stumped, I just explored elsewhere on the island and eventually found new sections that I could figure out and best, but now, more and more, when I leave an area stumped, everywhere else I go is another area that I already left stumped.

I feel like the game is really beating me in a real way. But I won't give up. And, as always, when I go back to play it later, an sudden epiphany will carry me through a few more panels. I just miss practically breezing through an area every once in a while like Shady Trees and Keep.

Just completed the game. Ending was quite anticlimactic tbh. Didn't really get it or understand the context, instead it just left me with more questions and theories. I guess I just wanted something more conclusive or definitive, instead of the vague whimsical wordy artistry that was essentially promoted the entire game.

Glad to hear you had a good time overall. Are you stopping there, or continuing with the rest? (
Which does provide a little more explanation
)

When you say dots, do you mean
stars or squares?

Sorry, I meant
black or white squares inside the tile

This is obvious, but are there any other puzzle elements that you also have to incorporate? The most immediate "hard" example of the black-and-white puzzles that comes to mind in the early game also includes other puzzle elements beyond black and white tiles.

How are you separating them? Just making it so that they don't touch isn't sufficient.

The two colors have to be completely enclosed by some combination of your lines and the puzzle boundary. If there's an unobstructed path over the squares that can get from black to white anywhere, you don't have the solution yet.

This specific puzzle has other elements, but I'm like 95% sure I'm satisfying them. I just want clarification that my method in solving puzzles with black/white squares inside the tiles is the correct approach and that I'm understanding what I have to do.

The best way I can describe it is that I have tiles with white squares inside them on one side of the line and the tiles with black squares inside them on the other side of that line.

All back/white dots don't have to be isolated in the same areas.

I'm not sure I understand that completely.

Kaiken

Banned
In Town theres a
container with flowers and three panels where you change the light three different colors.
I've solved the two panels but have no idea what it unlocked.

nib95

Banned
Glad to hear you had a good time overall. Are you stopping there, or continuing with the rest? (
Which does provide a little more explanation
)

Well, I'd hoped there would be some sort of new game plus where it just continued where I left off, but instead my only option was to restart the game, and the earliest save I have that's not at the very end, is over 100 puzzles away. Given that, along with what I've read about how challenging the last trophy is, I'm not sure if I will continue or restart.

How much elaboration or further explanation are we talking if I do restart or reload my earlier save, to continue on with the rest?

Sorry, I meant
black or white squares inside the tile

This specific puzzle has other elements, but I'm like 95% sure I'm satisfying them. I just want clarification that my method in solving puzzles with black/white squares inside the tiles is the correct approach and that I'm understanding what I have to do.

The best way I can describe it is that I have tiles with white squares inside them on one side of the line and the tiles with black squares inside them on the other side of that line.

I'm not sure I understand that completely.
Sounds like you have the right rule set.
Well, I'd hoped there would be some sort of new game plus where it just continued where I left off, but instead my only option was to restart the game, and the earliest save I have that's not at the end is over 100 puzzles away, and given what I've read about how challenging the last trophy is, I'm not sure if I will continue or restart.

How much elaboration or further explanation are we talking?
It creates a save in the elevator before you trigger the ending so you can continue

MBison

Door behind monastery near bamboo

the blue door behind monastery that leads underground. I figure the path is found in the tree branches overlooking the door but I can't figure out which branches mark the route. Am I assuming correctly? Helpppp

Natiko

Banned
I feel like I'm floundering in this game. I beat what I assume is the first section most people come across and made some more progress form there. Then every time I've played since I've mainly ran into puzzles that seem like they are advanced versions of basic ones I've not found. Not sure if I'm just having bad luck or if I'm overlooking something.

Hmmm. Spent an hour and a half trying
"The Challenge"
(post-game) and I don't think like it.

It really feels like I'm just playing it until I get a perfect roll. It's not even that hard really, if I had an additional minute (give or take) I could do it much more easily, it's just too frequent that I run into a hard panel and get roadblocked for too long (a minute can be considered too long) and have to start over.

I really like the idea of the section but the way that the RNG works makes it pretty unenjoyable/frustrating at times. The puzzles seem to have too big of a range from ridiculously easy to quite hard. If they were all a more medium difficulty I think it would be a lot better. Also I'm salty because the timer just ended a run that I would have completed if it had lasted, like, two seconds longer.

Top Bottom