• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Just out of curiosity, is every puzzle required for completion in the town in order to activate its beam? I've been slowly solving them throughout the game and have been enjoying them a lot. They take previous puzzle mechanics to the next level, which I like.

Castle spoilers
I was surprised you only had to finish half of the puzzles in this area

Just out of curiosity, is every puzzle required for completion in the town in order to activate its beam? I've been slowly solving them throughout the game and have been enjoying them a lot. They take previous puzzle mechanics to the next level, which I like.

Castle spoilers
I was surprised you only had to finish half of the puzzles in this area

There are a couple in the town that don't go towards the beacon, but most of them absolutely do. There's a tower in the middle of the town with four locked doors on it before you get to the beacon, and you have to solve four different strings of puzzles to unlock each door.

Can someone tell me the solution to this? https://i.imgur.com/uVcBOs5.png
I have tried from a boat 3 different ways both water and not water and from every angle of shore.

Boat. Move from one side of the dock to the other. Also make sure you've
opened the door on the container

There are a couple in the town that don't go towards the beacon, but most of them absolutely do. There's a tower in the middle of the town with four locked doors on it before you get to the beacon, and you have to solve four different strings of puzzles to unlock each door.

Cool, thanks!

ThisOne

Quick question regarding the implication of an early puzzle:

I went around the outside of the starting castle/wall thing and found a puzzle on a piece of paper on the ground which I solved. It didn't seem to do anything...what does it do or should I not even know yet?

I think I am losing my mind...
I have no idea what the mountain wants from me after I activate the box and the mountain top puzzle turns on
(7 lasers). I dont even think this is even a puzzle, it is just me being oblivious.

Boat. Move from one side of the dock to the other. Also make sure you've
opened the door on the container

holy cow that was the hardest puzzle yet lol i just did it ,required some serious boat manuevering

I think I am losing my mind...
I have no idea what the mountain wants from me after I activate the box and the mountain top puzzle turns on
(7 lasers). I dont even think this is even a puzzle, it is just me being oblivious.

You have to solve the puzzle on the
ground beneath the two statues
three different ways to unlock each of three locks.

anyone a fan of the black obelisk puzzles?

If you are good at those I would love some help/solution on 2 of them

swamp
I think there are 2 puzzles on the rotating bridge using the shadows, clockwise and ccounter-clockwise but I am stumped for the solution

#2 mountain
the Obelisk has 3 grid maze puzzles, for when you draw you path across the glass center room you go under and trace the path got 2 missing the last bottom one

here is an image of the 2 I am looking for
CaGRaO4VAAEdwL2.jpg

You have to solve the puzzle on the
ground beneath the two statues
three different ways to unlock each of three locks.

I guessed that bit, but I am clueless on what logic the puzzle wants from me. I came from here after dealing with the
Swamp and Treehouse
. I am guessing this puzzle demands less thought than those areas.

Eklesp

Are you talking about the one above the
panels you have to walk on
? That one almost broke me too! Finished it last night.

Yep. I just did not get
rotating the bottom left pieces. I kept trying to follow exactly what I had walked before plus combining sections.
So insane.

Kinda feeling the same way. And I'm SO CLOSE (I think). But this is just terrible. It's like whomever designed these puzzles I'm at (I don't know if Blow did them all himself) thought "ooooh, we're gonna fuck you over good now!". Sadists.

i only solved 49, other than the first few they've all been a pain

Use a guide.

I did for around half of the game, some of the puzzles are ridiculous and a few mechanics are very poorly described.

no a fan of guides, to me it feels like cheating, there's no fun in that

I guessed that bit, but I am clueless on what logic the puzzle wants from me. I came from here after dealing with the
Swamp and Treehouse
. I am guessing this puzzle demands less thought than those areas.

What it wants you to do is not that complicated. Trace from the start to one of the three exits, meanwhile quarantining the blacks and whites respectively. The complicated part is dodging the statues and wires in the way. You just have to keep moving around until you can find a clear vantage point. Each of the three vantage points are very narrow, so you have to be pretty precise.

Is there a point of no return? I'm pretty sure I'm near the end, but I don't want to go forward yet if I can't go back.

Yes, kind of. But it doesn't save after the point of no return so you can resume from right before it after "finishing" the game.

Kaisos

Can someone please give me advice for
the puzzle on top of the mountain? The one that opens after you get 7 lasers.
I don't see how there's a solution to more than one of the locks.

Mistle

Post-endgame spoilers:

Well, I beat The Challenge! That was quite difficult. I didn't like the "running around a maze like an idiot looking for two triangle puzzles", which tends to take up anywhere from 30 seconds or 3 minutes, depending on the run, and necessitated numerous restarts.
The maze and locations of the puzzles is the same as the 4th puzzle of the challenge run, the one on the podium between the first and second rooms.

senahorse

They can all be done, you just have to find the right angle.

What it wants you to do is not that complicated. Trace from the start to one of the three exits, meanwhile quarantining the blacks and whites respectively. The complicated part is dodging the statues and wires in the way. You just have to keep moving around until you can find a clear vantage point. Each of the three vantage points are very narrow, so you have to be pretty precise.

There's blacks!

For whatever reason (my dumb eyes, playing far from my TV, bad brightness settings), I did not notice the black dots. Everything makes sense now!

Thank you.

You need to take advantage of foreshortening. Each of the locks are solved from their side of the puzzle, more or less.

d00d3n

I have tried every possible angle already.

They're not solvable though, because the statues and wires block the only possible paths.

I can guarantee you that they are, but admittedly that was one of the hardest puzzles in the game for me. Note that the angle isn't enough - you also have to micromanage distance to the puzzle to open up the correct paths.

I can't believe how much time I spent at the Monastery without completing a single puzzle. I even soft-completed the game. Then... then,
I figured out I was thinking about the tree way way way too hard.

Can someone explain to me how puzzles with the white and black dot tiles are supposed to be completed?
I've done a few of them now and they seem to be solvable by isolating the white tiles from the black ones with the line, but it seems like I'm doing that now for some later puzzles and it doesn't work,
what are you supposed to do in those kind of puzzles?

The treehouse area just gave me a symbol I have never seen before, after spending more than a few hours in this area. Word.

Most of the symbols can be found on the map on the boat. If you need to learn about it, go to the location on the map where the symbol is shown.

Exception for the arrow(s) symbol. That's end game content.

Can someone explain to me how puzzles with the white and black dot tiles are supposed to be completed?
I've done a few of them now and they seem to be solvable by isolating the white tiles from the black ones with the line, but it seems like I'm doing that now for some later puzzles and it doesn't work,
When you say dots, do you mean
stars or squares?

Hyoukokun

A few hints, increasing in specificity:

This is obvious, but are there any other puzzle elements that you also have to incorporate? The most immediate "hard" example of the black-and-white puzzles that comes to mind in the early game also includes other puzzle elements beyond black and white tiles.

How are you separating them? Just making it so that they don't touch isn't sufficient.

The two colors have to be completely enclosed by some combination of your lines and the puzzle boundary. If there's an unobstructed path over the squares that can get from black to white anywhere, you don't have the solution yet.

d00d3n

All back/white dots don't have to be isolated in the same areas.

Enjoyed of what I played so far. I just don't think I can complete this. I feel nauseated after every play through. Which sucks because the game has been amazing so far. It's just not worth going through that every time :/

TTG

Do we know if Blow intended for players to use pen and paper or screenshots? It just occurred to me again while doing some tetris block puzzles and I was using it all the time for
the ruins

Nimajneb

The challenge is killing me. I keep getting near the end, but I'm terrible at the pillar puzzles. I just can't do the black and white squares within the time limit.

Enjoyed of what I played so far. I just don't think I can complete this. I feel nauseated after every play through. Which sucks because the game has been amazing so far. It's just not worth going through that every time :/

I do not know how much this will help, but it might..

Get a small red sticker, and stick it in the middle of the screen (where your crosshairs might be in an FPS)

Like these...

n10ilcJ.jpg

It can be really small (smaller than above), a few millimeters in diameter, but just noticeable enough to give your mind something to focus on, but hopefully without blocking your vision too much.

Once there is something stable in your vision you should not get sick (or as sick as you do get) when playing.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Uhh I'm not sure exactly how to do the panel on
the door at the beach by the sun temple place
? I must have the rules wrong for the
blue squares
but I'm not sure what they would be.

epmode

Are you playing on PC? If so, try increasing the FOV through the configuration file. That often helps others with motion sickness.

The Witness calculates FOV vertically, not horizontally like most other games, so you might want to use this site: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

Nice to hear I'm not the only one getting motion sickness from this game. I'm muscling through though, can't let those puzzles be left unsolved.

Uhh I'm not sure exactly how to do the panel on
the door at the beach by the sun temple place
? I must have the rules wrong for the
blue squares
but I'm not sure what they would be.

Did you get all the way through the
marsh
?

If so:
Group a yellow piece and a blue piece together, and the blue piece cancels out any same-shaped part of the yellow piece.

Qblivion

Need a hint for the maze with blue pillars in the village

Q1: is the panel at the entrance or exit?

Q2: Do I have to avoid the grass or the debris?

Top Bottom